Round 1 trade down candidate - OT/OG Rashawn Slater

jetstream23

Nice thread!

I really like Slater, and I think JD will too.

The guy just seems to be rock solid, and extremely versatile into the bargain. Kind of like a Damien Woody, capable of playing any position on the OL and playing it very well.  Slater is not quite as large as Big Wood, but I think he can be just as good in the pros and might well be drafted higher than Damien was (17th overall).

If the Jets can trade down, add another premium pick this year or next, and still draft Slater then that would be a move I would be very happy with.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

but in a trade down scenario where perhaps the Jets move into the 8-15 range I really like the idea of taking Slater.

I like Slater a lot as well and I don't think he's necessarily underrated. I actually think there are other OTs that are (albeit less versatile) much more underrated (Josh Ball for example).

The thing is a trade down scenario is a BIG IF. That would mean we don't take a top rookie QB, don't trade Darnold for additional draft capital, don't pull off a trade for Watson. All 3 of those would be disappoints for me. 

WITHOUT a trade down, Slater is just not in the cards for the Jets. He could slide to 23, but its highly unlikely. I really like Teven Jenkins out of Oklahoma State at 23 or early in Rd. 2 as a future RT/current backup OT  on either side. He may not be as versatile as Slater but he's long, athletic, and strong as a bull in the pass and run game. Otherwise, there's also Dillon Radunz who I also like a lot in that same range. More versatile and I think he could also play OG in the NFL, he's just such a great run blocker. But he has a lower ceiling (IMO) than a guy like T.Jenkins. 

However, I think the reality is (and Jets fans should be ready for this) that JD will take a QB (Fields/Wilson) at #2 and either trade down from #23 to add ore draft selections or take a Pass Rusher. I know not all Jet fans may like that but that's what I expect to happen. Rd. 2 we may see a WR and/or O-line...and of course we have those two third rounders.  

This is Daniel Jeremiah’s #1 rated OL, as was Becton last year.  I really think our #1 non-QB target will be Kyle Pitts in the 6-8 range because he’s so unique. But I would think Slater is the top backup plan because of his versatility and movement skills. 

• Upvote 1

I think most fans are going to be disappointed with the draft day direction in general.  

If we trade down, some will be disappointed we didn't trade Darnold or draft a QB,  others will be disappointed in the direction we go.  Just get ready to not be happy. 

If we trade down I think it unlikely we go OL with the first pick.  Just my feeling, but there are other needs on this team more pressing, and its a decently deep OL class so I can see us pushing that off until later on (especially if the jets sign Linsley in FA).  I think realistically in a trade down scenario assuming it is in the top 10 you are probably looking at two possibilities Kyle Pitts, and Jamar Chase. If both are gone, don't rule out the Jets trading back again in order to further bolster their capital. 

The second 1st round pick is where things could get interesting.  While i believe that Edge is primarily where the team will go with that selection, if they go Kyle pitts then that spot becomes attractive for a WR as well.  There is an outside chance here that they could go OL but as bad as everyone wants to create that DOMINANT unit, I do not see JD selecting that position in the first round this year with Becton Mcgovern and potentially linsley all on the team and Fant having a solid year and this new scheme fitting him well.  If we dont sign linsley then that all could change. 

Love Slater. Seems like he is going to go somewhere between 7-14, so agree a trade back is most likely. I could also see us moving up from 23 to get him, especially in a scenario like the Brugler trade where we package Sam + 23 and move up with SF. 

Slater and Vera-Tucker are the two lineman I'd be OK with using pick #23 with or (more likely) packaging pick 23 and more assets to move up. I hate the idea of moving up giving how many holes we have, however both of these guys have upside of being a top G in the league, and also have the potential to replace Fant. For 2021 they can play G while Fant plays RT, replace Fant at T and save $10mm of cap space, or step in for Fant if he gets hurt. That versatility, high floor (I think both will be good guards), and potential upside (future RT), would make me ecstatic if we ended up with either. 

• Upvote 1

I'd rather wait on Vera-Tucker, who might make it to #23.  If we're talking about using a 5th to trade up 2 or 3 spots to get him, fine, but otherwise, there are enough other players who would be available there that would be upgrades, that I don't see it as necessary to go get either of them. 

Especially if we are able to reel in Thuney.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is Daniel Jeremiah’s #1 rated OL, as was Becton last year.  I really think our #1 non-QB target will be Kyle Pitts in the 6-8 range because he’s so unique. But I would think Slater is the top backup plan because of his versatility and movement skills. 

JD will not be drafting a TE as his 1st pick in the 2021 draft. 

56 minutes ago, jetsons said:

JD will not be drafting a TE as his 1st pick in the 2021 draft. 

Maybe, maybe not. It would depend on how far we can trade down, and how well he tests.  If he times in the 4.5s he might be considered that rare WR/TE hybrid that can line up outside. If that’s the case, you’re looking at a Chase Claypool with better hands.  A nightmare matchup. 

I’d check out his article on PFF that says he has graded higher than ANY TE EVER. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Kyle-Pitts-best-tight-end-college-football-Florida-Gators-NFL-Draft-Heisman--157130006/Amp/

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'd rather wait on Vera-Tucker, who might make it to #23.  If we're talking about using a 5th to trade up 2 or 3 spots to get him, fine, but otherwise, there are enough other players who would be available there that would be upgrades, that I don't see it as necessary to go get either of them. 

Especially if we are able to reel in Thuney.

That's the thing.  I'd want to get either Slater or Vera-Tucker but I think #2 is too early for both and #23 might be too late and they could both be gone.

There likely needs to be some maneuvering to make this happen if the Jets really want to target one of these guys.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's the thing.  I'd want to get either Slater or Vera-Tucker but I think #2 is too early for both and #23 might be too late and they could both be gone.

There likely needs to be some maneuvering to make this happen if the Jets really want to target one of these guys.

Then maybe an Edge or CB at #23 and go OL at #34?  We really do have a lot of opportunities to improve the roster (such a nice way to say it!).  Again, I think if we land Thuney (or Scherff) it takes a lot of pressure of going OL that early.  But I'm still not opposed to it if the draft falls that way.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We still have flexibility depending on how free agency shakes out. 

If we land Thuney we can target a Center in round 2/3, move McGovern to RG. 

If we sign Lindsley, we can target a OG in round 2/3 (Dillon Radunz, Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith), and move McGovern accordingly.