Bert Breer’s update on Sam Darnold

GreekJet

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/15/mmqb-todd-inside-bowles-game-plan-for-mahomes-texans-mess-trevor-lawrence-pro-day

My guess is that Sam Darnold’s name will continue to come up. We told you last week four teams called the Jets, in the aftermath of the Stafford trade, to inquire on Sam Darnold’s availability. More have called since, I’m told, and the answer those teams got was the same that the ones calling before got—Check back with us soon. Right now, the Jets coaching staff is working through its tape evaluation of the draft-eligible quarterbacks, which is a huge piece to all of his. The job, for the Jets right now, is to compare and contrast what it has in Darnold (at 23, with a year plus an option year left on his contract) to what Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance (coming on new/affordable rookie deals) could be for them. There are a lot of teams that would be obvious potential landing spots. Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Chicago and San Francisco make sense, pending what happens with Wentz, and the scarcity of available names (and I mean actually available, not just potentially available) right now could drive Darnold’s value up. Either way, it’s a good spot for Jets GM Joe Douglas and new coach Robert Saleh to be in.

6) I think the Jets and Dolphins are in position to deal their Top 3 picks. That doesn’t mean either will (I think the Jets, for one, are more likely than not to stay put). It does mean that there will be a market for both the second and third picks. Teams will emerge from the Wentz situation with a quarterback. Others are quietly looking for an upgrade over who they already have, or for an heir to put behind an aging starter. I think because of all that, teams will look at 2 and 3 as potential places to get those things, and with four guys that I believe are seen as worthy of going in the Top 10, whoever gets there will have options. Would teams have to go that high to get them? Well, if you’re paying attention …

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I personally appreciate the "report" that someone "reported" 2 weeks ago when they "reported" someone elses "report".

We should start reporting people who reports, reports from other people who reported the reports of other reporters, who were reported for false reporting.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 5

Credibility means nothing these days. These ahole "reporters" just make things up and are rewarded for it because fans have started treating football like it's a soap opera.

Somewhere along the way it became more about these rumors than the competition on the field and the abilities of the actual players. Most young people who say they are fans just gossip about these athletes like they're the Kardashians. They use phrases like "generational" and "x-factor" thinking it makes them as smart as Stephen A. Smith.

I feel like most of these guys run to the bathroom to play with themselves whenever there is a trade, but probably don't even watch half the games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The lack of in-person NFL events has really doomed the Hot Takes industry. There’s not even the pretense of having insider information. It’s all “I think,” or “I’d say right now that...” Terrible. 

What's even funnier is they are starting to report on what each other are saying. lol

nothing new here.  the fact that there is some interest in darnold will ensure that he gets a good evaluation by douglas and saleh .  so if they go qb with the 2nd pick and trade darnold it will be for a good reason.  and this is good.  the 2 pick is very valuable and can be parlayed into more good picks.  maybe even some future picks too.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Breer is connected.  None of them bat 1.000, but Breer is one of the top 3-4 I legit pay attention to when he says something.  He's annoying as **** so he's hard to stomach (in my opinion) but his info is solid.

If you read the tea leaves, I think it's becoming obvious that the Jets know Darnold is gone, they just don't know which QB scenario will play out, Watson or QB at 2(and which one at 2)

Pretty soon dudes(not saying the dudes here) that aren't really connected will start connecting those tea leaves and reporting inside info that Darnold is gone.

Very true. The second Darnold is traded the ransom for Watson goes up even more for the Jets.

I think once Wentz is traded (and that has to happen soon or Philly is screwed), Sam will be traded quickly.

Another wild card is if WFT trades for Mariota. Wentz and Mariota could take 2 Sam suitors out of the equation and will limit our asking price.

I wonder if Philly would bring in Sam to compete with Hurts?...

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

sorry where does it say that the jets are likely to take a QB at 2? lol

• “The Jets are in a position to deal their #2 but are more likely than not to stay put.”

I assume this is where it came from. Obviously, the Jets could stay put at 2 and take an OL/WR but given all the interest in Wilson, there is no chance the Jets stay put and do anything else besides take Wilson. If they don't like him, they would just trade down. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm still troubled by both Wilson and Fields being a sure fire #2 overall franchise QB.

My #1  preference is still to trade down.  Whether they trade darnold or not.

PFF has Zach Wilson and Justin Fields as QB1s any other year

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-how-good-are-the-2021-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-why-this-class-is-one-of-the-most-talented-ever

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The lack of in-person NFL events has really doomed the Hot Takes industry. There’s not even the pretense of having insider information. It’s all “I think,” or “I’d say right now that...” Terrible. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I personally appreciate the "report" that someone "reported" 2 weeks ago when they "reported" someone elses "report".

Using an App that automatically re-tweets for you, a friend of mine, as an experiment, created this twitter handle in 2016:

https://twitter.com/USNewsAndReport

It used to generate a bunch of US news but I guess some people got wise to what he (and possibly others) were doing and shut that down.  The last bunch of tweets were just NASA news, and they ended in 2019. Still, for 3 years it was humming with activity, with nearly 24,000 tweets and hundreds of followers.  lol.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Now that it's clear there's a strong trade market for Sam it's become a no brainer

Or..  maybe you don't trade the QB many quality organizations think can be good, and instead make him good yourselves.

fresh off the boat mind blown GIF

51 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Albert Breer was doing radio spots hinting the Jets loved Adam Gase when no one else had it at the time. Ever since then I pay particular attention to what he says about the Jets. He also had a very deep inside story on the Jets process of selecting Sam Darnold in the draft. Including private conversations they were having when they ate dinner with him. Safe to say his insight means a hell of a lot more than Albright or Laconfora who are known scammers. 

His roots are in the Boston-NY area if memory serves. Would expect his east coast  intel to be likely stronger. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Pac said:

He said nothing other than the Jets have been shooing people away whove been calling about Sam.

If you want to take that to mean a deal is imminent knock yourself out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4822221/domino-effect-with-sam-darnold-could-affect-patriots-qb-plans%3fplatform=amp

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday the New York Jets have fielded multiple calls from teams expressing interest in Sam Darnold. The Jets, per Schefter, haven't turned away the calls, but also haven't made any firm decisions about their future at quarterback (they own the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NFL draft).”

??

• Upvote 4