Bert Breer’s update on Sam Darnold

GreekJet

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry, did you just threaten me? I'm not upset just honestly curious.  

If so, Was is a physical one? Or just something like you're remove me from this site?

Yes.. I'm going to punch you in the pixel.

C'mon dude clearly joking.

• Haha 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’m not disparaging Breer’s work overall, but he makes this assertion: “That doesn’t mean either will (I think the Jets, for one, are more likely than not to stay put),” and doesn’t even attempt to back it up or explain how he came to that conclusion. It’s his opinion shoehorned into the supposed analysis of the Jets situation. He makes the claim, then tried to reverse engineer his conclusion based on that opinion. It’s blogger sh*t. Throw this piece onto the garbage pile with Jeremy Fowler’s hit where he says Deshaun Watson doesn’t want to be a Jet, only to have to later tweet out that, actually, he doesn’t know if Watson wants to be a Jet or not. Most of these guys are scuffling because they don’t have contact with team sources, and the agents they rely on to feed them info are stuck in limbo until the cap gets sorted out. 

because nobody knows anything, this is all that we have to chew on.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Named ? 

The guys I see  projected as potential top picks for 2022 are underwhelming:

Kedon Slovis, Jayden Daniels, Sam Howell , Bo Nix, Spencer Rattler 

Zac Wilson was projected to be a top two pick last year at this time....oh wait.

Every year people talk about how terrible the next years going to be and every year guys are elevated.

Guys like Herbert and Josh Allen were lumped in with the type of players you just listed a full year before they were drafted.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm still troubled by both Wilson and Fields being a sure fire #2 overall franchise QB.

My #1  preference is still to trade down.  Whether they trade darnold or not.

I really don’t get this fascination of trading down. We have plenty of draft capital as it is. As much as I want the Jets to take a QB  with the 2nd pick, if they don’t value taking a QB at that spot fine. We would have the pick of the litter for game changing players. Devonta Smith and Penei Sewell comes to mind.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Zac Wilson was projected to be a top two pick last year at this time....oh wait.

Every year people talk about how terrible the next years going to be and every year guys are elevated.

Guys like Herbert and Josh Allen were lumped in with the type of players you just listed a full year before they were drafted.

Before the 2019 season started, 70% of college football fans never heard of Joe Burrow. And that's probably a low number.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think there’s some truth and some falsehood to that. Everyone loved the 2018 class for years. Lawrence, Fields, and Lance were very highly regarded coming into  the season.

There almost always some movement - not a lot of guys go through the whole process as the top guy like Lawrence has. Winston and Luck are the two who come to mind. Last year was tank for Tua and then Burrow comes out of nowhere to be the top pick and Herbert has the best rookie season. Year before Kyler Murray really flew to the top of boards.

Next year looks like a cluster. More like 2019 did heading in than any of the other drafts in the last five, six years. Usually there’s at least a somebody people are excited about. Next year is a mess.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, sure.  But even if another Joe Burrow comes along in 2021, its unlikely the Jets will be in position to draft him.  Do you see the Jets picking in the top 2 in 2022?  With a new coaching staff and what should be an influx of talent coming to the roster this offseason?

Not at all, was just supporting @Beerfishpoint that every year guys are noticed by the scouts that most people never even considered .

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can agree with Wilson. But none have been talked about for years at least like Lawrence and Fields . 

And to further my point , if any of the QB's takes a major step forward this upcoming college season the Jets would have to part with considerable assets to move up and draft them in 2022. They have the opportunity right now to get a potential FQB at #2 w/o giving up any additional assets and to have that QB on a rookie salary for 4-5 years.  Unless they get Watson, not taking a QB at 2 is a major blunder. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Not at all, was just supporting @Beerfishpoint that every year guys are noticed by the scouts that most people never even considered .

For sure, I can agree to that.  But this assumption that the Jets can afford to kick the can down the road at QB and then just pluck a QB off the QB tree is an extremely flawed take.

Just because there's typically a "riser" at QB every year doesn't mean we can assume the Jets will be in position to get him.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure, I can agree to that.  But this assumption that the Jets can afford to kick the can down the road at QB and then just pluck a QB off the QB tree is an extremely flawed take.

Just because there's typically a "riser" at QB every year doesn't mean we can assume the Jets will be in position to get him.

The best case scenario is that you get to be the 2021 Colts where you have a really nice team built up and you’re left deciding between burning draft capital on Carson Wentz or Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Totally agree. If we take Watson out of the picture(just playing the odds here, not a preference by any means) the decision is simple. They have to decide if any of these guys that they can get at #2 is a substantial upgrade over Sam. It has to be clear cut. If yes, take him. If no, possibilities are endless. The other factor, and I know most people will think this is nuts, is what, if any, part does Morgan play in all this? I just have a sneaking suspicion that he is a bigger part of the plan going forward than is being divulged. But that's a topic for another day.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I believe that if the Jets can get a mid first to mid 2nd for Sam, he’s gone.  I can’t speak for FG, but I’ve always said that I pretty much have it 55/45 that Sam is back and you could catch me reversing those odds in favor of drafting a rookie at 2OA on any given day, especially after they start diving into the tape of Wilson and Fields in particular.  I like them both quite a bit.

Breer is pretty connected too.  I trust him.

Your assuming that Breer is being fed correct information. It's in the Jet's best interest to let rhe league know that drafting a QB, at #2 is where they're going.

• Upvote 1