Bert Breer’s update on Sam Darnold

GreekJet

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Your assuming that Breer is being fed correct information. It's in the Jet's best interest to let rhe league know that drafting a QB, at #2 is where they're going.

In order for any of this sh*t to work, the Jets have to give the appearance that they are absolutely, 100% in love with Zack Wilson and will absolutely draft him at #2 if he’s available. It puts pressure on the Texans to take the Jets package, and it creates so,e desperation in the QB market for those teams that think Darnold is a better prospect than Justin Fields. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Your assuming that Breer is being fed correct information. It's in the Jet's best interest to let rhe league know that drafting a QB, at #2 is where they're going.

I’m not disagreeing.  That being said, based on what I have heard for a while now, the idea of getting that type of value in return for Sam was not something that the team thought was possible a couple of months ago.  Things change.  Now there is a legitimate shot you can get a high value pick back for Sam and the question the team has to answer is whether or not they feel giving up on him is worth that value.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m not disagreeing.  That being said, based on what I have heard for a while now, the idea of getting that type of value in return for Sam was not something that the team thought was possible a couple of months ago.  Things change.  Now there is a legitimate shot you can get a high value pick back for Sam and the question the team has to answer is whether or not they feel giving up on him is worth that value.

I would imagine that part of that calculation (trading Darnold for mid/low first) is somewhat contingent upon Watson’s actual availability in a trade scenario, with the return on the Darnold pick bolstering the possible eturn to the Texans while also insulating Douglas from any shred of criticism if Darnold turns it around wherever he ends up.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Would a team looking to trade for Darnoled prefer the Jets apply the 5th year tag or not and let him play for the new team and earn a new contract? Inquiring minds want to know what would give us more value when negotiating.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I believe,(with no 1st hand knowledge), that they want to create as much value with that 2nd pick as possible, in order to trade down, and stick with Sam, or trade for Watson. To me Watson is a pipe dream. The Texans are going to play hardball with him, and trade him when all other avenues have been exhausted. I don't think Douglas wants to include that #2 pick in a Watson deal. He needs that so he can trade down and build an offense around whoever that QB is. Watson or Darnold. Plus tou add in the fact we need a few more pieces on defense that fit our new 4/3 scheme. Perhaps, Douglas is waiting on the highest 1st rd offer for Sam, so he can offer it up in a Watson trade. Important, because like i said, he wants to keep that 2nd pick 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I can agree with Wilson. But none have been talked about for years at least like Lawrence and Fields . 

And to further my point , if any of the QB's takes a major step forward this upcoming college season the Jets would have to part with considerable assets to move up and draft them in 2022. They have the opportunity right now to get a potential FQB at #2 w/o giving up any additional assets and to have that QB on a rookie salary for 4-5 years.  Unless they get Watson, not taking a QB at 2 is a major blunder. 

If the jets love one of these two guys go for it.  If not do not force up value due to need.  Mahommes trade up by KC was anything but cost prohibitive. 

The league is littered with goffs, mariottas, winstons, gabberts, bortles, trubiskys etc

If I can turn #2 overall into pitts or Devonta smith or Jamarr chase plus two future first routers or something along those lines you think about it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I really don’t get this fascination of trading down. We have plenty of draft capital as it is. As much as I want the Jets to take a QB  with the 2nd pick, if they don’t value taking a QB at that spot fine. We would have the pick of the litter for game changing players. Devonta Smith and Penei Sewell comes to mind.

You can STILL get one of those types and trade down.  As long as you do not trade out of the top 10 you will get a difference maker and potentially a large haul as well.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets love one of these two guys go for it.  If not do not force up value due to need.  Mahommes trade up by KC was anything but cost prohibitive. 

The league is littered with goffs, mariottas, winstons, gabbers, bortles, trubiskys etc

If I can turn #2 overall into pitts or Devonta smith or Jamarr chase plus two future first routers or something along those lines you think about it.

In that scenario , your banking on 3 lower 1st/2nd round picks panning out, as opposed to just 1 at #2. Everyone simply assumes every pick made with a trade down scenario will pan out and we all very know even for good drafting teams that's hardly ever the case.  

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

In that scenario , your banking on 3 lower 1st/2nd round picks panning out, as opposed to just 1 at #2. Everyone simply assumes every pick made with a trade down scenario will pan out and we all very know even for good drafting teams that's hardly ever the case.  

No they can bust just like everyone else can.  Imo there is a clump of players after the top two QBs of similar value.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I would imagine that part of that calculation (trading Darnold for mid/low first) is somewhat contingent upon Watson’s actual availability in a trade scenario, with the return on the Darnold pick bolstering the possible eturn to the Texans while also insulating Douglas from any shred of criticism if Darnold turns it around wherever he ends up.

Also, where do you think the QB board falls? I still think there’s a lot of talent in Fields and Lance. Say you can draft day with the Colts for pick 21. Picks 21 and 23 get you to the 6/7 range - very firmly in the back end of the top ten. Would Douglas trade Sam Darnold and a little less than half of Jamal Adams to reset at QB with a Fields or Lance on a rookie deal?

I still like the idea of taking one of those guys a little later than 2, especially if Wilson is firmly the #2 guy, and then sitting him for a year since I think both of those dudes are insanely talented but need a little work. Even better if they can get Atlanta to flip up to 2 for a quarterback and get their two this year and next year.

I would not turn my nose up at turning Darnold, 2, 23, and 34 into say Smith, Fields, 34, 36, and Atlanta’s second round pick next year. Watson is of course the dream, but Douglas has so many assets there’s a lot of really interesting stuff he can do.

Also we’re all so focused on the quarterback but I’m extraordinarily curious how they find that top target in the passing game - Julio when Shanahan was in Atlanta, Kittle in SF, Adams in GB. It’s a layup to sign one of the top guys if they land Watson. Otherwise someone like Smith would be cool but they’ve got to figure out quarterback too and taking Smith at 2 would be something. It’s the most quietly interesting thing in the offseason, the position that everything else kind of ripples to hit and - in this offense - is way more important than we’re giving it credit for.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Zac Wilson was projected to be a top two pick last year at this time....oh wait.

Every year people talk about how terrible the next years going to be and every year guys are elevated.

Guys like Herbert and Josh Allen were lumped in with the type of players you just listed a full year before they were drafted.

I think the difference here is the Jets own the second overall pick. That means they have the ability to choose between four QBs. 

There may be another Zach Wilson in 2022 that we don’t know about at the moment, but that doesn’t mean the Jets will be in position to draft him. 

While passing the QB position may seem like the safe bet to some it’s actually an incredibly risky option. You are essentially banking on Sam Darnold to turn his career around. Odds are that your options for replacing Sam won’t be as bountiful a year from now. That is why I am strongly against drafting any non-QB 2nd overall. If the Jets stick with Sam they need acquire an additional 2022 1st to have the ammunition available to trade up in next years draft if needed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I’d love if JD threw everyone for a loop...

• Trades Sam for a late 1st or 2nd.

• Signs or trades for vet before draft.

• League assumes we are taking Wilson/Fields at 2.

• Trades down but still in top 10, takes Lance.

• Sit Lance for half a year - year

• War chest of picks to build around him.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Also, where do you think the QB board falls? I still think there’s a lot of talent in Fields and Lance. Say you can draft day with the Colts for pick 21. Picks 21 and 23 get you to the 6/7 range - very firmly in the back end of the top ten. Would Douglas trade Sam Darnold and a little less than half of Jamal Adams to reset at QB with a Fields or Lance on a rookie deal?

I still like the idea of taking one of those guys a little later than 2, especially if Wilson is firmly the #2 guy, and then sitting him for a year since I think both of those dudes are insanely talented but need a little work. Even better if they can get Atlanta to flip up to 2 for a quarterback and get their two this year and next year.

I would not turn my nose up at turning Darnold, 2, 23, and 34 into say Smith, Fields, 34, 36, and Atlanta’s second round pick next year. Watson is of course the dream, but Douglas has so many assets there’s a lot of really interesting stuff he can do.

Also we’re all so focused on the quarterback but I’m extraordinarily curious how they find that top target in the passing game - Julio when Shanahan was in Atlanta, Kittle in SF, Adams in GB. It’s a layup to sign one of the top guys if they land Watson. Otherwise someone like Smith would be cool but they’ve got to figure out quarterback too and taking Smith at 2 would be something. It’s the most quietly interesting thing in the offseason, the position that everything else kind of ripples to hit and - in this offense - is way more important than we’re giving it credit for.

I can’t even begin to guess which of these QBs will be any good. I think I’m batting .036 on my QB draft guesses since 2011, so I’ve basically surrendered to my ignorance. Personally, I feel like Douglas either gets the deal done for Watson, or he sticks with Darnold and trades down. I just can’t see him hitching his wagon to Wilson right away. When I do those PFN mocks, I always trade down to 5 or 8 and take the best receiver left on the board, then OL and CB at subsequent picks. It feels like a flimsy draft after the first ten picks come off the board, so I like your thought about climbing back up into that range for Smith or Pitts if they also hang onto the 2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I can’t even begin to guess which of these QBs will be any good. I think I’m batting .036 on my QB draft guesses since 2011, so I’ve basically surrendered to my ignorance. Personally, I feel like Douglas either gets the deal done for Watson, or he sticks with Darnold and trades down. I just can’t see him hitching his wagon to Wilson right away. When I do those PFN mocks, I always trade down to 5 or 8 and take the best receiver left on the board, then OL and CB at subsequent picks. It feels like a flimsy draft after the first ten picks come off the board, so I like your thought about climbing back up into that range for Smith or Pitts if they also hang onto the 2.

I mean to be entirely fair to you, I don’t think NFL franchises are batting much better than .036 on draft QB guesses either.

I really, really want Watson just because everything else falls into place so much more easily from there. Whatever WR shakes loose from his team is going to want to play with Watson and get a bazillion targets on the team with enough cap space to pay him.

Watson and Robinson/Godwin/Golladay is...pretty close to an entire offensive overhaul. They’re going to use a RBBC and average like 5 YPC and whoever is getting the scraps in the passing game should be adequate. Add Thuney or Linsley, add a wide receiver who can play with the ball in his hands and a tight end who can block on day two, and on day three draft Ben Mason,  and maybe some OL depth and a back who’s going to get 1000 yards somehow and...you’re good. On defense if you can’t rush the passer I don’t care yet.

The same basic premise exists if they can’t trade for Watson, I just don’t know how you draft the quarterback and bring in the receiver because who’s going to want to play with a rookie QB and what pass catcher not named Smith, Chase, or Pitts is ready to step in day one and be the passing game focal point in a Shanahan offense? Then you’re kind of sticking with Mims as they guy and as much as I like Mims I think setting the quarterback up to fail...unless they bench him for a year which I’d be in favor of.

Ultimately if they go the rookie QB route - I do think Darnold is gone, the market seems to be bananas and I don’t think they can extend him based on next year - I really think the need to just focus on the quarterback’s development. The Sanchez approach didn’t work but I don’t think surrounding him with talent was the issue, it was being a win now team and having talent. If you’re going to have a rookie QB on this team and he’s playing, he needs to have a primary passing game target, they need to throw the ball a ton, and offensive concepts need to be simple, to his strengths, and expand gradually. Saleh can work with scraps on defense in the meantime. Like I said, don’t care unless you can rush the passer. Put the guy in a position to succeed, develop him, then try to win. 

Watson would certainly be easier.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Would a team looking to trade for Darnoled prefer the Jets apply the 5th year tag or not and let him play for the new team and earn a new contract? Inquiring minds want to know what would give us more value when negotiating.

I haven’t heard much of anything in regards to the 5th year option. If I had to guess, they’d just trade him without picking it up, but your guess is as good as mine lol.

9 hours ago, genot said:

I believe,(with no 1st hand knowledge), that they want to create as much value with that 2nd pick as possible, in order to trade down, and stick with Sam, or trade for Watson. To me Watson is a pipe dream. The Texans are going to play hardball with him, and trade him when all other avenues have been exhausted. I don't think Douglas wants to include that #2 pick in a Watson deal. He needs that so he can trade down and build an offense around whoever that QB is. Watson or Darnold. Plus tou add in the fact we need a few more pieces on defense that fit our new 4/3 scheme. Perhaps, Douglas is waiting on the highest 1st rd offer for Sam, so he can offer it up in a Watson trade. Important, because like i said, he wants to keep that 2nd pick 

If they stick with Sam I believe that, yes, they will look to get a haul for 2OA.  That’s was “the plan” mentioned to me before Saleh was hired.  Obviously that will now play a factor and I was told Sam would not be forced on anyone so the situation was still very fluid during that process.  They also haven’t seen these kids workout nor have they “met” with them.  I also don’t believe Watson will be coming here and the only thing worth a debate right now for JD and co. is “King’s haul for 2OA and worry about QB later?” or “trade Sam, draft QB at 2OA, and use all our draft capital to build around our new young QB?”

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I haven’t heard much of anything in regards to the 5th year option. If I had to guess, they’d just trade him without picking it up, but your guess is as good as mine lol.

If they stick with Sam I believe that, yes, they will look to get a haul for 2OA.  That’s was “the plan” mentioned to me before Saleh was hired.  Obviously that will now play a factor and I was told Sam would not be forced on anyone so the situation was still very fluid during that process.  They also haven’t seen these kids workout nor have they “met” with them.  I also don’t believe Watson will be coming here and the only thing worth a debate right now for JD and co. is “King’s haul for 2OA and worry about QB later?” or “trade Sam, draft QB at 2OA, and use all our draft capital to build around our new young QB?”

Meeting with the QB prospects and working them will be vital to the entire process, and the future of our team. If anyone of Lance, Wilson, and Fields show a mix of high intelligence, ability, and character in meetings we will be taking a QB. They each have high upside and give a reason to be excited, and it's been said before that character is essential to a players success. On the other hand, if you meet with them and they don't strike you as special, or have some glaring flaws then it's more sensical to play it safe and get capital for the pick. 

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Your use of 2OA is annoying, not sure why but it's making me very angry reading it.  Just say 2.  We know what you're talking about, I like had to figure out, "over all' - and once I did, I was annoyed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I agree with this.  But id also say that watson plays into Darnolds favor as well.

I. agree that i do not see watson coming here, just seems like nothing will get done on that front for a while (post draft if I had to guess, I think that FO will put a premium on next year and the year afters draft where the offseason will be more conducive to scouting) .  BUT if for some reason it is entertained and the Jets have an inclination to make a move.  Trading Darnold, and subsequently drafting a QB, basically prohibits you from trading for Watson.  Trading down, acquiring a haul for 2OA and keeping Darnold increases JD's overall flexibility which in my mind is what he values the most. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Question. Can you gauge their feelings on Sam. Do they have a feeling, (strong or not), that Sam has the chance to live up to expectations in a proven system that might suit his skillset?

13 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

If any of you guys are really sure Darnold is staying, go lay down a bet at DraftKings. They put the chance of him being traded at 60%. 

I just noticed your quotes on the bottom of your posts...hahaha the cringe - of - fame

"We think Heath Miller is a fine player, but we like Doug Jolley more." - Jets GM Terry Bradway, 2005.
"Tim [Tebow] is going to be a major contributor to our football team." - Jets HC Rex Ryan, 2012.
"I don't think they know what they're doing over there right now. … I'm baffled." - Jets Hall of Fame QB Joe Namath on the Tim Tebow trade.

“There’s a lot of upside and potential with him. We vetted him very thoroughly.” - Jets GM Mike Maccagnan after drafting Christian Hackenberg.

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm still troubled by both Wilson and Fields being a sure fire #2 overall franchise QB.

My #1  preference is still to trade down.  Whether they trade darnold or not.

I can sympathize, but it's a long shot that a team with no QB passes on all the non-Lawrence QBs at #2 overall.

Even less of a chance if/when it has 2 more 1st round picks that year after #2, plus the 2nd pick in round 2, plus 2 more 1st rounders the following year. Then it's got the potential for that to repeat a year later, if they feel that it's better to double-up a round earlier in 2023 than triple-up in 2022, but that's a decision for Douglas to make when it's time for our picks in '22.

I'd rather the team have the ability to double-up in round 1 (or three picks in the first 2 rounds) annually for as long as they can, as opposed to 8 or 9 1st+2nd rounders in 2 years, on top of all their other picks. Maybe if they keep trading most of their round 3-7 picks for future picks a around earlier, I suppose. 

If there's no Darnold (and no Watson or other serious starter in 2021), then instead of trading down from #2 I think it's more likely they trade one or more of those other picks on days 2-3 for a round-higher pick in 2022 (or trade down for a lower pick in the same round, plus an extra pick a year later).

If it makes you feel any better, the very reason Darnold might fetch a 1st rounder in the first place is because, if similar QB prospects routinely fell into the teens or 20s, we'd otherwise be looking at a 3rd round offer (maybe less)& for Darnold instead, which really means we'd get nothing because he wouldn't be traded. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can sympathize, but it's a long shot that a team with no QB passes on all the non-Lawrence QBs at #2 overall.

Even less of a chance if/when it has 2 more 1st round picks that year after #2, plus the 2nd pick in round 2, plus 2 more 1st rounders the following year. Then it's got the potential for that to repeat a year later, if they feel that it's better to double-up a round earlier in 2023 than triple-up in 2022, but that's a decision for Douglas to make when it's time for our picks in '22.

I'd rather the team have the ability to double-up in round 1 (or three picks in the first 2 rounds) annually for as long as they can, as opposed to 8 or 9 1st+2nd rounders in 2 years, on top of all their other picks. Maybe if they keep trading most of their round 3-7 picks for future picks a around earlier, I suppose. 

If there's no Darnold (and no Watson or other serious starter in 2021), then instead of trading down from #2 I think it's more likely they trade one or more of those other picks on days 2-3 for a round-higher pick in 2022 (or trade down for a lower pick in the same round, plus an extra pick a year later).

If it makes you feel any better, the very reason Darnold might fetch a 1st rounder in the first place is because, if similar QB prospects routinely fell into the teens or 20s, we'd otherwise be looking at a 3rd round offer (maybe less)& for Darnold instead, which really means we'd get nothing because he wouldn't be traded. 

if the jets stay at 2, it's a qb.  if they trade out of 2, the team that trades up takes a qb.  in this draft, the 2 slot will be a qb.  and even though the jets are rumored to be torn about trading darnold, ultimately i think the cap situation will dictate the decision.  the stars seem aligned that the jets will trade darnold and take wilson, while other teams will want the 2 spot as well.  but the jets have enough draft capital even before trading darnold and douglas seems to want to trade back rather than up so i expect us to get more picks when all is said and done.  

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Not sure how they feel about Lance, but I wonder if they keep Sam + trade down from 2 to about 6/7/8 pick, and then take Lance and have him sit a year or two behind Darnold.

You still have a QB of the future, one to hold the fort on a reasonable deal, and a war chest of picks to build around either QB. If Sam improves and Lance is developing nicely, then you can trade Sam a year from now, or get a decent comp pick letting him walk in free agency.

Or if Sam goes ballistic and lights the league on fire, then you can trade Lance down the road. Sort of hedging your bets plan, but Lance will probably have more upside than the QB’s in 2022’s draft at this point in time.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree with this.  But id also say that watson plays into Darnolds favor as well.

I. agree that i do not see watson coming here, just seems like nothing will get done on that front for a while (post draft if I had to guess, I think that FO will put a premium on next year and the year afters draft where the offseason will be more conducive to scouting) .  BUT if for some reason it is entertained and the Jets have an inclination to make a move.  Trading Darnold, and subsequently drafting a QB, basically prohibits you from trading for Watson.  Trading down, acquiring a haul for 2OA and keeping Darnold increases JD's overall flexibility which in my mind is what he values the most. 

We're still in the Watson hunt even if we trade Sam and pick a QB. 

If the Texans are interested in our rookie QB, bingo... rookie plus two firsts does it.  

If not, we can trade our rookie for a future one and still get that deal done.

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The value of the pick they get for Sam would seem secondary to whether or not they think one of the draft prospects stands to be a better QB. Breer says the coaching staff is focused on the latter question, which would make absolute sense. It seems that all of this is being driven by a desire to improve the position regardless of what they get for Sam, which it should be. 

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets stay at 2, it's a qb.  if they trade out of 2, the team that trades up takes a qb.  in this draft, the 2 slot will be a qb.  and even though the jets are rumored to be torn about trading darnold, ultimately i think the cap situation will dictate the decision.  the stars seem aligned that the jets will trade darnold and take wilson, while other teams will want the 2 spot as well.  but the jets have enough draft capital even before trading darnold and douglas seems to want to trade back rather than up so i expect us to get more picks when all is said and done.  

I think that'll be easier said than done, unless Douglas is content trading out of the 2 spot for a 2nd rounder and/or picks in future drafts. I was just making a thread about it.