Ifyou're the Jets, would you rather trade Darnold to Washington for the 19th draft pick, or to Panthers for their #8 pick and give them back our #23?

Alka

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold + # 23 for # 8.  The trade chart says 19 would be more valuable than moving up to 8, but in this particular draft class, I think having another top 10 pick will prove to be a better situation.

But I can't imagine any scenario where the Panthers would do this.  It would make no sense on their end.  

It would make sense if they wanted Sam on their team, since they called the Jets to inquire about him.

If other teams are offering their #1 pick, then this is what the Panthers would have to do to be competitive with other teams who may want him.

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

It would make sense if they wanted Sam on their team, since they called the Jets to inquire about him.

Wanting Darnold makes sense.  Wanting him so much that you'd drop from 8 to 23 to get him does not.  They'd be putting all their chips to the center on a QB who hasn't produced in 3 years and has just 1 year left on his deal.  That kind of decision gets GM's fired when they fail.

• Upvote 2

I could be swayed during the draft depending on who falls to #8.

Assume TL, JF, ZW, PS are all definite goners.

The next few guys up, in no particular order, are Chase, Smith, Waddle, Pitts, Parsons.

So depending on your preferences, if Pitts or Chase or Smith was available at #8, would that be worth it versus 19 and 23?

Not from a value chart perspective, but it would be interesting.

On the other hand, you could probably trade up from 19 and 34 to get very close to there and still maybe get one of those guys, while preserving 23.

TL/DR, Take the 19, and take the cannoli.

1 hour ago, ganggreen305 said:

I still don't get this.  We were happy before with a 4th or 5th round pick for Darnold.  Now people expect a top 20 pick for him?  Darnold?  Sam Darnold?  Our Sam Darnold?  Wow.  When we only get a 3rd for him, people are going to start bitching again.

The people who were happy with a 4th or 5th for Darnold were lost and should be riducluded. lol