Ifyou're the Jets, would you rather trade Darnold to Washington for the 19th draft pick, or to Panthers for their #8 pick and give them back our #23?

Alka

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Rather trade Darnold to Washington for the 19th draft pick.

Have to agree there. 

If someone's there at #7 (or 8 or 9), that we want so badly we think the prospect is worth 2 immediate 1sts, I don't think it'd be hard to trade up using #19 and #23.

But also because there are superstar veteran QBs whose situations are at least in flux, and I'd rather have more 1sts if we're making a trade for one. Even if they stay on their respective teams, it makes it easier to take a QB at #2 without worrying if he's really worth #2 or if we could have gotten him at #6 or something. If you like him enough at #6, then an extra top 20 pick allows JD to not pussyfoot around and risk losing him over 100-200 draft chart points.

#19 + #23 keeps the most options open. Being at #8 doesn't automatically mean we could get back two immediate 1st round picks. There has to be a team with 2 such picks in the first place, and then that team has to want to trade both of them to move up, and further that they want to move up to our slot not the slot ahead of or behind us.

I think this one's an easy decision if both are offered.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Have to agree there. 

If someone's there at #7 (or 8 or 9), that we want so badly we think the prospect is worth 2 immediate 1sts, I don't think it'd be hard to trade up using #19 and #23.

But also because there are superstar veteran QBs whose situations are at least in flux, and I'd rather have more 1sts if we're making a trade for one. Even if they stay on their respective teams, it makes it easier to take a QB at #2 without worrying if he's really worth #2 or if we could have gotten him at #6 or something. If you like him enough at #6, then an extra top 20 pick allows JD to not pussyfoot around and risk losing him over 100-200 draft chart points.

#19 + #23 keeps the most options open. Being at #8 doesn't automatically mean we could get back two immediate 1st round picks. There has to be a team with 2 such picks in the first place, and then that team has to want to trade both of them to move up, and further that they want to move up to our slot not the slot ahead of or behind us.

I think this one's an easy decision if both are offered.

If I am JD I’d try to maximize value on Darnold by soliciting 2022 draft capital. It is riskier, but should net a better rate of return. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

N'nuh-n'-n'-n'-n'-n'-nine-teen. Nine-teen.

Also yes I'll also believe 19 for Darnold when I see it, and not a moment before that.

WOW was going to include the video but it's so sensitive and disturbing I thought 19 times about it.  And Darnold doesn't deserve to be associated with such a classic.

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Thats so easy. Darnold and 23 for 8. 
it virtually guarantees you kyle pitts

you can get sewell and pitts in round 1. Two projected all pros hof types

So whos your QB in this fantasy scenario. 

Clearly not Darnold, and not Deshaun either. If they make that trade, one of those picks is a QB, full stop. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Is Darnold better than Teddy Bridgewater?  They have him signed for another two years yet the owner recently said that you keep looking for a QB until he takes you to the Super Bowl.  Not sure why the Panthers would be interested.

Why? I have said this for the last two years and it still seems to hold true. The idea of Sam Darnold is better than the actual player. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Both teams have inquired about Darnold, and if the rumor of the Jets getting a first round pick is correct, which would you rather have?

I honestly don't know which is better.

You give them Sammy and our SECOND. Nothing more....

• Upvote 1

Trade him to the panthers in that scenerio. The reason is if you hit on three first round prospects it makes things super complicated in the future. It is complicated enough with two. The other thing is that puts us in line for a blue chip reciever prospect or Kyle pitts who reminds me of a young jimmy graham.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Wanting Darnold makes sense.  Wanting him so much that you'd drop from 8 to 23 to get him does not.  They'd be putting all their chips to the center on a QB who hasn't produced in 3 years and has just 1 year left on his deal.  That kind of decision gets GM's fired when they fail.

Shhhhhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Theres a draft next year too. Rome wasnt built in a day

I will bet my left nut that there is no way we deal Darnold and dont draft a QB. 

If we are aiming to get a QB next year, we should keep Darnold this year. 

• Upvote 2

Take 2, 19, and 23 then trade back with 23 to get more picks even if it means getting out of the 1st and picking up more 2022 picks. 

3 number 1 picks is a little scary because you take those picks assuming they’re going to hit.  That means ~$75+ million in 5th year options all due at the same time. 

1) Don't think we'll get this much value for Sam - if we got either I'd do a back flip 

2) I'd rather have 19 in a vacuum 

3) If Carolina is trading out of 8, presumably the top 4 QBs are gone, which means you'll have be guaranteed one of Sewell, Pitts, Smith, and Chase. Unless you love Slater (which I do!), I think there is a pretty clear drop off between those four guys and the next tier of weapons/O-lineman. I still think I'd opt to stay at 19 and 23 than package up, however 8 is the perfect spot to move up as you can get a tier 1 offensive talent guaranteed. 

4) If we did this trade we should get at least a 4th back from Carolina this year, and ideally a third (Carolinas 8 + 3rd is still a 10 point win for them if they trade for 19 & 23) 

5) Carolina doesn't make a ton of sense for Sam considering they can't really move on from Teddy this year. Sam is very cheap (~4-5mm cap charge for team trading for him), however assuming they don't exercise the 5th year option - he makes more sense for a team that has a fat salary but still in contention to win now (SF and Chicago come to mind). If I'm Carolina I'd rather keep Teddy for the additional year as the whole appeal of Sam is maybe you get 1 year of cheap production and you have the inside lane to retain him after. I just can't see Carolina giving up this much capital for a 1-year rental that won't get them into legit contention when they have a QB that is probably better right now.