Does right now remind you of 1997?

NYJ1

Let's face it, right now we're about as low as any team could possibly be. Being 2-14 this season IMO is far worse than 1-15 in 1996. 1997 team quickly showed it wasn't all that bad if the players had the right HC.

But that all-time low in 1996 proved to be preceding a quite excellent time. Within two seasons we turned in our best regular season record in franchise history. It seemed to take something so shockingly bad for Leon to make the right hire.

Any chance we're witnessing the very same thing with Chris Johnson? 

I might be crazy, but I'm optimistic that good things are coming the Jets way? That we're finally witnessing a successful rebuild. One that builds us into contenders....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Would I call you crazy if you said we were going to open 5-0?

SAR I

Well, SAR your posts are certifiably NUTS! lol That's not what this thread is? This thread is a healthy debate wondering if the ship is headed in the right direction. Your skitzo threads when Adam Gase was the HC weren't even the close to reality....:)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Teams can turn it around very quickly in this league and I agree , there is a feel that a turnaround is imminent.  The odds will tell you we are due as well.  That a why I laugh when the media says such and such player will prefer this team to that team because they are ahead. We were not ahead of Miami a year ago we’re we? 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, SAR your posts are certifiably NUTS! lol That's not what this thread is? This thread is a healthy debate wondering if the ship is headed in the right direction. Your skitzo threads when Adam Gase was the HC weren't even the close to reality....:)

Yes, headed in the right direction. No, I won’t be making any predictions this year. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

maybe? In both instances we had a bad roster but even a worse coach that led to our pathetic  record in 96 and 20.  Parcells brought in his guys- couldn’t draft to save his life- but signed some solid vets that gave us that push to turn the corner. Salah and JD are going to build this right through the draft and smart FA signings but I hope we get similar results. 

• Upvote 1

If the Jets can’t turn this thing around now with the amount of draft picks and cap space they have they never will. Obviously the QB decision will be the biggest factor. I’d say they’re in good shape for the future, however I also thought for sure Sam was our franchise QB ??‍♂️

That '96 team had guys on it that would go on to become core players for the Parcells years; Chrebet, Green, Glenn, Colemen, Richie Anderson, and even Keyshawn. Guys that Parcells could immediately lean on and push to lead the transition. Can anyone honestly say they see guys like that on this roster? The top guys that probably fit that mold are Maye and Crowder and the Jets look like they are letting those two guys walk. Maybe Becton or Quinnen but who the **** knows. '20 seems like it was such a crappier roster than that '96 team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Let's face it, right now we're about as low as any team could possibly be. Being 2-14 this season IMO is far worse than 1-15 in 1996. 1997 team quickly showed it wasn't all that bad if the players had the right HC.

But that all-time low in 1996 proved to be preceding a quite excellent time. Within two seasons we turned in our best regular season record in franchise history. It seemed to take something so shockingly bad for Leon to make the right hire.

Any chance we're witnessing the very same thing with Chris Johnson? 

I might be crazy, but I'm optimistic that good things are coming the Jets way? That we're finally witnessing a successful rebuild. One that builds us into contenders....

All we’ve done so far is trade or cut talent and loaded up on draft picks. That’s the easy part of the job. Even Izadik did that. Can we wait to see who our QB will be in 2021 before we declare it a successful rebuild after just finishing 2-14? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That '96 team had guys on it that would go on to become core players for the Parcells years; Chrebet, Green, Glenn, Colemen, Richie Anderson, and even Keyshawn. Guys that Parcells could immediately lean on and push to lead the transition. Can anyone honestly say they see guys like that on this roster? The top guys that probably fit that mold are Maye and Crowder and the Jets look like they are letting those two guys walk. Maybe Becton or Quinnen but who the **** knows. '20 seems like it was such a crappier roster than that '96 team. 

Right. The 97 jets had better players. Another difference is parcells pretty much brought his staff with him.  I don’t think there were any newbie coordinators and he certainly wasn’t a newbie head coach.  So even though that jets team had limited on field leadership the coaches brought a whole lot of credibility.

we’ll see how saleh does soon enough. He seems like he has a clue and will motivate the players.  If the coordinators are on the same page then things could come together pretty quickly. Not to mention the high draft choices and salary cap should infuse the team with talent.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Maye, Crowder, Becton, Quinnen, Mosely (yes), Fatukasi, Jenkins (if retained, he'd be the quintessential "hold-the-fort locker room leader" guy).

• Upvote 1

We have what, three or four young players that don’t suck on our entire roster?  A bunch of crappy contracts with terrible, overpriced players that are just going through the motions for a paycheck?  No franchise qb...  tons of dead money paying a bunch of past tense crappy contracts. A large amount of disappointing draft busts.

Light at the end of the tunnel?  It looks more like we just fell in and might need divine intervention to turn this around in any reasonable timeframe.

At least it seems like we have an ok coaching/GM structure but I’m not expecting miracles, there’s only so much you can do when dealing with a dumpster fire of this scale.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Maye, Crowder, Becton, Quinnen, Mosely (yes), Fatukasi, Jenkins (if retained, he'd be the quintessential "hold-the-fort locker room leader" guy).

2 of those guys you mentioned are not under contract anymore 

This is nothing like 97. That team has talent all over the roster. This team has like 4 good players and they are about to cut crowder 

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

In 1997 I usually drank two 40s to pre-game a night out at the bars.

Now, I drink two snobby IPAs, then fall asleep reading my kids their bedtime stories.

So, yea, sort of.

In 1997 I was reading bedtime stories now I’m drinking two 40’s and falling asleep by halftime. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

2 of those guys you mentioned are not under contract anymore 

This is nothing like 97. That team has talent all over the roster. This team has like 4 good players and they are about to cut crowder 

It’s crazy to think how spot on and accurate that statement is. Makes one miss hyperbole. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hael said:

We have what, three or four young players that don’t suck on our entire roster?  A bunch of crappy contracts with terrible, overpriced players that are just going through the motions for a paycheck?  No franchise qb...  tons of dead money paying a bunch of past tense crappy contracts. A large amount of disappointing draft busts.

Light at the end of the tunnel?  It looks more like we just fell in and might need divine intervention to turn this around in any reasonable timeframe.

At least it seems like we have an ok coaching/GM structure but I’m not expecting miracles, there’s only so much you can do when dealing with a dumpster fire of this scale.

A bunch of crappy contracts? We have 1 bad contract with Mosley. Other than that JD has kept the cap wide open 

We had a real core of good players and we hired a historically great coaching staff that was proven.  I don't think we have the core of good players and it's way too early to know if we have a historically good coaching staff.  Sam is probably a better option to make a good throw with the playoffs on the line than Leon Johnson so there's that.