Does right now remind you of 1997?

NYJ1

42 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

A bunch of crappy contracts? We have 1 bad contract with Mosley. Other than that JD has kept the cap wide open 

Mosley, Fant, CmG, Anderson (likely gone), Crowder (well above market value for a slot, likely gone),Lewis, Griffen.   And then, lest we forget, Trumaine Johnson, Bell and Enunwa..

All are underperforming their contracts to some lvl.   In fact it’s hard to find a single vet player on our roster under contract who we are underpaying relative to their real value.  I can find one... JF Myers...

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, headed in the right direction. No, I won’t be making any predictions this year. 

SAR I

U were at the top of your game as a heel.  Then you turned face and you bombed and hit rock bottom.  

Just turn heel again dude.  What are you waiting for?  The fan base is very optimistic right now.  It would be the perfect time for you to do this.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

U were at the top of your game as a heel.  Then you turned face and you bombed and hit rock bottom.  

Just turn heel again dude.  What are you waiting for?  The fan base is very optimistic right now.  It would be the perfect time for you to do this.

It wasn't a game.  It's what I honestly felt.  I won't have a feeling on how we are going to be in 2021 until I understand the quarterback.

Talk to me in April.  I should have a point of view by then.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It wasn't a game.  It's what I honestly felt.  I won't have a feeling on how we are going to be in 2021 until I understand the quarterback.

Talk to me in April.  I should have a point of view by then.

SAR I

tenor.gif.de7b808fa005c74f5178a530ab825b5d.gif

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

If the Jets can’t turn this thing around now with the amount of draft picks and cap space they have they never will. Obviously the QB decision will be the biggest factor. I’d say they’re in good shape for the future, however I also thought for sure Sam was our franchise QB ??‍♂️

Jets GM John Idzik is 50-50 to return in 2015, says high ...

Yeah deja vu all over again..........

2 hours ago, Hael said:

Mosley, Fant, CmG, Anderson (likely gone), Crowder (well above market value for a slot, likely gone),Lewis, Griffen.   And then, lest we forget, Trumaine Johnson, Bell and Enunwa..

All are underperforming their contracts to some lvl.   In fact it’s hard to find a single vet player on our roster under contract who we are underpaying relative to their real value.  I can find one... JF Myers...

All those guys are expendable and won’t cost anything as far as dead money goes once released. So like I said, there aren’t any bad contracts on this team besides Mosley

There are just too many unknowns about the current Jets to have any sense that we could repeat 1997.  And Parcels best asset was to maximize his players'  talents.  So he was very much a "quick fix" kind of coach.  Saleh may or may not have those qualities but the organization's views right now are more for a slower, steadier approach.

If current management is going to surpass the Parcels era, it will have to be with a better, long term approach to player acquisition--draft and fa.  Hard to argue with Parcel's instant success but his inability to draft well became the ceiling for the team.  Maybe he knew that and decided to step back as a result.  JD is the only hope to beat Parcels as a GM but we don't know how well he is going to do.

We generally like the little we've seen.  There are grounds to hope.  But, really, who the hell knows?

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There was far more talent on that 96 team than there is on this current roster.

Richie Anderson
Wayne Chrebet
Jumbo Elliot
Keyshawn Johnson
Victor Green
Marvin Jones
Aaron Glenn
Mo Lewis
Hugh Douglas

That's a friggin' Jets all-star team compared to what we've got now.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

2 of those guys you mentioned are not under contract anymore 

This is nothing like 97. That team has talent all over the roster. This team has like 4 good players and they are about to cut crowder 

They're not cutting Crowder. And I'd say the odds are good that they resign Maye. Jenkins, not so much (he's not really a 4-3 fit)

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

In 1997 I usually drank two 40s to pre-game a night out at the bars.

Now, I drink two snobby IPAs, then fall asleep reading my kids their bedtime stories.

So, yea, sort of.

Same page. The only similarities from now to then is I still wear all my t-shirts from that period.

20 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Parcells was coming off a SB w the Pats, brought along  his entire coaching staff. It was coup and Parcells was a Savior.

I really like Saleh but this does not feel like 97 to me. 

Yeah ‘97 was very different.  As soon as Parcells was hired I remember everyone saying we were a lock to be in the playoffs the following year

no matter what happens this offseason we will be predicted to be the worst team in the NFL next season 

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Richie Anderson
Wayne Chrebet
Jumbo Elliot
Keyshawn Johnson
Victor Green
Marvin Jones
Aaron Glenn
Mo Lewis
Hugh Douglas

That's a friggin' Jets all-star team compared to what we've got now.

SAR I

The problem in 1996 besides Kotite being horrible was offensive line.  

Our offensive line still sucks today.  We made one good move Becton.  The rest of the OL is mediocre to crap

The similarity to 1997 is that it appears we’re beginning to climb out of a hole rather than keep digging and that it begins with the coaching staff. The difference is that today’s hole is deeper (less talented team) and the staff is promising but not yet proven.

The good news is that our climb can be steep since we have lots of picks and cap space. If we hit in the draft and free agency our rise to credibility need not take forever.