At least one NFL team has Zach Wilson ranked as the best QB in the draft. Update: Multiple teams not only one!

Jetsbb

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Just do not see it. Wilson's style is much applicable to the NFL in my view, he plays like a Rodgers or Mahomes (not saying he will be as good as either)

Fields plays like Watson, Newton Murray and LJ to some extent. 

I guess if you prefer that style you will like Fields. To me though when I look at the longevity of Brady, Brees and Rodgers I want someone who is more of a pocket passer so we have a longer career from him.

I am no draft guru, but to be honest most of my opinions have been pretty good on QBs. I did not like Watson much so maybe I just don't see that style but I will be shocked if Wilson is the not the best QB in this class (assuming a positive physical)

I really don’t think the 4 bolded QBs play alike. Not sure Rodgers and Mahomes play alike either.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, derp said:

I think one of his big issues is nicely summed up by the stat that pointed out his time to release was longer against the blitz than it was against no blitz. No bueno.

I absolutely think he’s very talented but I think he needs to sit for a bit. That tendency alone is something that NFL teams will exploit over and over, blitzing is pretty much the first thing defenses will try to slow you down until you show you can beat it consistently.

Ive said this 100 times i feel like but Atlanta is the best spot possible for Fields.  He can sit behind matt ryan for a year or two, has a good core of offensive talent around him, and a guy that can teach him in Arthur Smith.  I think he has a chance to be really good in Atlanta. 

Not that he couldnt be good other spots too, i just feel like from what I've seen on film, that will help him ensure he meets his potential the best. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What this is is source-less speculation designed to drive site-visits and sell media advertising.  There may be truth to it, most likely there is not.

And even if there is a source, it's almost assuredly the typical draft disinformation campaigning all NFL GM's do this time of year.

i.e. it's fluff.  It means less than nothing.  It should not be taken in any way seriously, to either validate or invalidate any opinion.

The Media is Not our Friend.

How is it "source-less" when he actually quotes a source? You can say he made it all up, but so what? You can say that about any story that uses anonymous sources.

It's only "fluff" and "means less than nothing" if you want to close your eyes and wish that was the case.

• Upvote 2

That a-hole is a massive Jets hater. I dont trust a word he says. I'm more inclined to believe he wants us to pick someone he thinks is a complete flop just so he can make fun of it for a few years.

Not saying the kid is going to flop but Schlereth's word don't mean jack shiii

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/scouting-notebook-sneak-peek

You think you know who the No. 1 quarterback in the 2021 NFL draft class is, but does everyone agree with you?

We’ve been told for three years that Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence is a football god, sure-fire first overall pick and the best prospect since at least Andrew Luck and maybe since Peyton Manning.

Lawrence is QB1. Or at least that’s what we’ve all been told and all kind of go along with. He’s great. Generational, maybe.

But not everyone sees it this way. In fact, as NFL scouting departments meet to stack their draft boards and discuss the upcoming class, at least one team has Lawrence as QB2.

So who the hell is their QB1?

BYU’s Zach Wilson.

“What he does as a thrower, and as a runner, is exactly where we are as a league right now. He throws some of those 50/50 balls with his shoulders square to the defense after running around in the pocket and I’m seeing Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech all over again.” — NFL College Scouting Director

Wilson, a three-year starter at BYU, improved each year in Provo; going from 11 touchdowns as a freshman to 33 as a junior while becoming one of the most electric players in college football.

A switch was seemingly flipped for Wilson, with the help of offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes (now at Baylor) as he combined to put 43 touchdowns on the board (10 on the ground) and limited his interceptions to just three after tossing nine in his 2019 sophomore season.

Wilson’s rise is not that different from Baker Mayfield (2018), Kyler Murray (2019) and even Joe Burrow (2020). His talent was known to the football world, but things came together for him in his third year as a starter. Football slowed down and his natural talents and tools took over.

But enough to replace Lawrence as the top quarterback in the class?

For at least one team, that’s the case. And maybe this is a club knowing they won’t have the opportunity to draft Lawrence so they’ve already mentally moved on to the next-best thing, but the more scouts talk about Wilson the more love you hear for his game.

Even if it’s something like him being QB1.

When talking about Wilson, there is one recent thing that must be addressed. ESPN’s Todd McShay—who does a wonderful job and is a trailblazer in this industry—said on the network’s Get Up program that Wilson wasn’t a captain at BYU.

The only thing is, Wilson was a captain. This may be a situation of more context being needed, as Wilson was not initially voted as a captain, according to a source with the program, but would go on to earn that title.

It’s right there in the photos. It’s all over the game film. Wilson with a “C” on his chest.

It is silly season in the NFL, though, and no doubt McShay was told by someone he trusts, “hey, did you know Zach Wilson wasn’t voted a captain?” And, while technically true, more information was needed since a comment like that can damage the reputation and draft stock of a player.

After all, we don’t want to spend the next two months wondering which teammates attended Wilson’s birthday party.

Please don’t be us.

9 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

That a-hole is a massive Jets hater. I dont trust a word he says. I'm more inclined to believe he wants us to pick someone he thinks is a complete flop just so he can make fun of it for a few years.

Not saying the kid is going to flop but Schlereth's word don't mean jack shiii

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

He is called Stink for a reason

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He wasnt asked to, that's the point.  So how do you know he doesnt know to?  They didnt give him outlets.  The asked him to evade the pressure with his legs and either get rid of it downfield or run.  Dont know what to tell you but that's the facts.  If you dont think that impacts this stat you've provided, I dont know what to tell you but like, I promise it does, pinky swear? 

That said, it will be a learning curve because he wasnt asked to recognize the blitz put and use a hot route or audible but I dont think this is some trivial thing to pick up that he wont be able to understand (98% of college QB's take their cues from the sidelines).  They all have to get better at this.  He's been playing ball at the highest level since High School. This isnt some dude just learning the position.

I mistyped - best case we don’t know.

I’d that’s what he was told to do that’s just terrible, terrible coaching because he did not look great doing it and it’s not an effective way to beat the blitz.

I’m not trying to be a jerk - is it out there somewhere that’s what he was told to do or is that your perception based on what he did?

5 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’ve been trying to do a deeper dive on Wilson/Fields and haven’t looked much at Lawrence because he’s undoubtedly going #1. In regards to Wilson/Fields, is it just me or is Fields bigger, stronger, taller, faster than Wilson? Arm strength is comparable. Is the major knock on Fields his projected “slow processing” at the next level in terms of reading defenses? I do think Wilson probably fits better in the offensive system the Jets will be running, but I’m leaning towards Fields being the safer bet as far as who will be the better pro QB. I’m generally conflicted in what I want the Jets to do, I just hope they finally get it right. 

Fields has the higher floor and Wilson has the greater upside. Fields is likely a functional starting QB based off his running ability. 

Scouts think Wilson is further along in terms of processing and accuracy. He also shows the ability to throw from different arm angles which is where the Mahomes comps come from. 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No surprise. 

Lawrence is a very very good QB prospect and will go #1 overall.

He is also perhaps the most overrated QB prospect to come out in the last 20 years.

Based on what exactly?  
You just wanting to be contrary to the universal praise he gets? 
He’s everyone’s best since Luck QB.  That’s not overrated, it’s really obvious to anyone who’s watched him play.  Doesn’t make him a can’t miss pro, just makes him the best in years.  

6 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This is actually big. Up until now its all been tv analysts who don't know anything. For a actual team with a million scouts with nothing do do all year but watch film all day come away with Zach Wilson as QB1 even over a generational QB tells me Zach Wilson is legit.

Unless the Wilson is QB1 team was the Jaguars it means nothing. Plenty of misinformation this time of year. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on what exactly?  
You just wanting to be contrary to the universal praise he gets? 
He’s everyone’s best since Luck QB.  That’s not overrated, it’s really obvious to anyone who’s watched him play.  Doesn’t make him a can’t miss pro, just makes him the best in years.  

Based on my watching him.

Me seeing him get destroyed by Joe Burrow and LSU last year after being only so so vs ohio state in the earlier playoff game.

Then getting just crushed by Ohio State this year.  His play in games vs even talent was a question.

Me seeing him make mistakes on NFL like plays.  (not seeing LBS slide into the middle) Me seeing his passing game consist of short passes and deep passes with a lack of those medium level 1st down makers.

"Generational" was the term thrown around which puts him above the likes of watson, mahommes, josh allen, etc etc.

Jets fans on this site were on suicide watch because we won a game and lost out on the 'sweepstakes'.

He is the top rated Qb in this draft.  The over hype was and is imo ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/scouting-notebook-sneak-peek

You think you know who the No. 1 quarterback in the 2021 NFL draft class is, but does everyone agree with you?

We’ve been told for three years that Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence is a football god, sure-fire first overall pick and the best prospect since at least Andrew Luck and maybe since Peyton Manning.

Lawrence is QB1. Or at least that’s what we’ve all been told and all kind of go along with. He’s great. Generational, maybe.

But not everyone sees it this way. In fact, as NFL scouting departments meet to stack their draft boards and discuss the upcoming class, at least one team has Lawrence as QB2.

So who the hell is their QB1?

BYU’s Zach Wilson.

“What he does as a thrower, and as a runner, is exactly where we are as a league right now. He throws some of those 50/50 balls with his shoulders square to the defense after running around in the pocket and I’m seeing Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech all over again.” — NFL College Scouting Director

Wilson, a three-year starter at BYU, improved each year in Provo; going from 11 touchdowns as a freshman to 33 as a junior while becoming one of the most electric players in college football.

A switch was seemingly flipped for Wilson, with the help of offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes (now at Baylor) as he combined to put 43 touchdowns on the board (10 on the ground) and limited his interceptions to just three after tossing nine in his 2019 sophomore season.

Wilson’s rise is not that different from Baker Mayfield (2018), Kyler Murray (2019) and even Joe Burrow (2020). His talent was known to the football world, but things came together for him in his third year as a starter. Football slowed down and his natural talents and tools took over.

But enough to replace Lawrence as the top quarterback in the class?

For at least one team, that’s the case. And maybe this is a club knowing they won’t have the opportunity to draft Lawrence so they’ve already mentally moved on to the next-best thing, but the more scouts talk about Wilson the more love you hear for his game.

Even if it’s something like him being QB1.

When talking about Wilson, there is one recent thing that must be addressed. ESPN’s Todd McShay—who does a wonderful job and is a trailblazer in this industry—said on the network’s Get Up program that Wilson wasn’t a captain at BYU.

The only thing is, Wilson was a captain. This may be a situation of more context being needed, as Wilson was not initially voted as a captain, according to a source with the program, but would go on to earn that title.

It’s right there in the photos. It’s all over the game film. Wilson with a “C” on his chest.

It is silly season in the NFL, though, and no doubt McShay was told by someone he trusts, “hey, did you know Zach Wilson wasn’t voted a captain?” And, while technically true, more information was needed since a comment like that can damage the reputation and draft stock of a player.

After all, we don’t want to spend the next two months wondering which teammates attended Wilson’s birthday party.

I too see Mahomes when I watch Wilson throw the ball but I don’t know what I’m looking at.

5 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

How is it "source-less" when he actually quotes a source? You can say he made it all up, but so what? You can say that about any story that uses anonymous sources.

It's only "fluff" and "means less than nothing" if you want to close your eyes and wish that was the case.

I get it Ray.

Some Jets Fans think they see the writing on the wall, that we are going QB at #2, and they (JD and Co.) might really like Wilson. 

So many fans are going to start convincing themselves that Wilson is REALLY the best QB, and that he REALLY is a stud waiting to happen, that really we're getting the best guy, etc, etc, etc,, same old same old stuff.  Drowning men and lifepreservers, etc.

Same stuff most of you did just three years ago, matter of fact.  Darnold, the elite, spectacular, clear-cut best, generational blah blah blah.

Fans read/hear some obvious anonymous "sourced" reporting that one (of 32) teams like Wilson over the (overhyped IMO) Lawrence, i.e. reporter speculation designed to earn revenue above all else, that supports this idea, they'll believe it wholesale, same as always.  

Some things never change.

• Post of the Week 1

I started falling into the Wilson hype a bit, but as I’ve started really watching some tape on Wilson and fields I’m finding myself leaning towards fields for some of the reasons stated in my previous post. Also, the level of competition fields was facing was much stronger compared to Wilson. I know there are stigmas for an Ohio state QB, and at the same time for Wilson there have been recent success stories for QB’s coming out of smaller schools. I just feel like when I watch the tape Fields is better. 

That’s because he is, though he’s not a top tier NFL talent. Wilson is a complete waste. It reminds me of when JP Losman schmoozed his way up to the 2nd round when he was just an obscurity prior. Desperation always makes bad decisions at QB. Drafting Wilson or Fields ties Douglas’ career to them. What a terrible prospect for Douglas.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I get it Ray.

Some Jets Fans think they see the writing on the wall, that we are going QB at #2, and they (JD and Co.) might really like Wilson. 

So many fans are going to start convincing themselves that Wilson is REALLY the best QB, and that he REALLY is a stud waiting to happen, that really we're getting the best guy, etc, etc, etc,, same old same old stuff.  Drowning men and lifepreservers, etc.

Same stuff most of you did just three years ago, matter of fact.  Darnold, the elite, spectacular, clear-cut best, generational blah blah blah.

Fans read/hear some obvious anonymous "sourced" reporting that one (of 32) teams like Wilson over the (overhyped IMO) Lawrence, i.e. reporter speculation designed to earn revenue above all else, that supports this idea, they'll believe it wholesale, same as always.  

Wow, you really are over dramatizing things. Believing the story is probably true because Its written by a legitimate football writer does not make one a Wilson cult member. 

12 hours ago, derp said:

I mistyped - best case we don’t know.

I’d that’s what he was told to do that’s just terrible, terrible coaching because he did not look great doing it and it’s not an effective way to beat the blitz.

I’m not trying to be a jerk - is it out there somewhere that’s what he was told to do or is that your perception based on what he did?

No, it's not out there but I've watched every single snap of Justin Fields career and it's very obvious.  They dont give him outlets at all.  If a RB is involved on a pass play, 9 times out of 10 they're staying home blocking or actually running a wheel down field.  They changed the system from Haskins to Fields, so it's a very well educated observation.  Peep these plays below, it's everything I'm talking about and apparently the stuff he cant do.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Based on my watching him.

Me seeing him get destroyed by Joe Burrow and LSU last year after being only so so vs ohio state in the earlier playoff game.

Then getting just crushed by Ohio State this year.  His play in games vs even talent was a question.

Me seeing him make mistakes on NFL like plays.  (not seeing LBS slide into the middle) Me seeing his passing game consist of short passes and deep passes with a lack of those medium level 1st down makers.

"Generational" was the term thrown around which puts him above the likes of watson, mahommes, josh allen, etc etc.

Jets fans on this site were on suicide watch because we won a game and lost out on the 'sweepstakes'.

He is the top rated Qb in this draft.  The over hype was and is imo ridiculous.

Jeez, youre going to still talk about his one game over the vastly superior LSU team, one of his two losses over the course of his college career?  A career where he set the record for wins by a Clemson QB?  

He got crushed by OSU?  

Mahomes wasnt a generational QB, youre now mixing his pro career with college and thats not close to the way you rate college QBs.   

Other that all of these cliches, he is the best QB I've ever seen at reading the defenses thrown at him.  He also is the only one I've seen allowed to call his own plays when necessary.  He has a big arm that can make every throw and for bone points he can run with the best of them.  Love to hear someone then say hes overrated.  

Calling a QB that is rated as the best QB over his college career since Luck since Luck overrated is youre right.  But pretty much every person who does this for a living disagrees, thinks he is generational.   

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

No, it's not out there but I've watched every single snap of Justin Fields career and it's very obvious.  They dont give him outlets at all.  If a RB is involved on a pass play, 9 times out of 10 they're staying home blocking or actually running a wheel down field.  They changed the system from Haskins to Fields, so it's a very well educated observation.  Peep these plays below, it's everything I'm talking about and apparently the stuff he cant do.

I dunno, maybe we’re closer together than we think, partially because I mistyped earlier. Maybe not. 

That is absolutely impressive playmaking, but I also don’t think that style of play will work on a consistent basis at the NFL level. Sometimes, absolutely. But I don’t think having a plan A against the blitz of trying to move and find someone downfield will work. Better off making quick passes when they’re there.

I think he’s a mixed bag against the blitz - some spectacular, some questionable. That Indiana game had some great plays and some major head scratchers and that was a lot more scheme than talent there. In the pros schemes will be more complex and there’s going to be a lot more talent.

Fields is smart and athletically gifted. Consistently dealing with plays that way - you’re reacting more than you’re thinking in sports. Obviously he’s extremely talented, but I feel like it takes more than a couple of months of limited training camp to rewire that. You’ve got a guy like Darnold, also talented, also tries to make plays, and three years later he’s still doing it.

So while I’m sure he could be quite good as a rookie, given he’s a bright dude I could see him sitting a year and just having an absolute monster second campaign. I also think there’s something gross about the way his ball floats when he rolls right - it made me think he had a way worse arm than he does - and I’m sure there’s mechanical cleanup he can do on stuff like that and other things that would again just have him more prepared to hit the ground running at the professional level.

And his intelligence is a big part of me feeling that way - I think the time off just takes him from likely quite good to more of a sure thing because there’s just less of a chance he continues bad habits. Whereas a talented dude who wasn’t exactly the brightest like Paxton Lynch - toss him out there and if he’s good, awesome, if not I don’t think he’s going to benefit from a year off anyway.

1 hour ago, derp said:

I dunno, maybe we’re closer together than we think, partially because I mistyped earlier. Maybe not. 

That is absolutely impressive playmaking, but I also don’t think that style of play will work on a consistent basis at the NFL level. Sometimes, absolutely. But I don’t think having a plan A against the blitz of trying to move and find someone downfield will work. Better off making quick passes when they’re there.

I think he’s a mixed bag against the blitz - some spectacular, some questionable. That Indiana game had some great plays and some major head scratchers and that was a lot more scheme than talent there. In the pros schemes will be more complex and there’s going to be a lot more talent.

Fields is smart and athletically gifted. Consistently dealing with plays that way - you’re reacting more than you’re thinking in sports. Obviously he’s extremely talented, but I feel like it takes more than a couple of months of limited training camp to rewire that. You’ve got a guy like Darnold, also talented, also tries to make plays, and three years later he’s still doing it.

So while I’m sure he could be quite good as a rookie, given he’s a bright dude I could see him sitting a year and just having an absolute monster second campaign. I also think there’s something gross about the way his ball floats when he rolls right - it made me think he had a way worse arm than he does - and I’m sure there’s mechanical cleanup he can do on stuff like that and other things that would again just have him more prepared to hit the ground running at the professional level.

And his intelligence is a big part of me feeling that way - I think the time off just takes him from likely quite good to more of a sure thing because there’s just less of a chance he continues bad habits. Whereas a talented dude who wasn’t exactly the brightest like Paxton Lynch - toss him out there and if he’s good, awesome, if not I don’t think he’s going to benefit from a year off anyway.

But it wasn't Fields calling the plays or the scheme they played in . This was all part of the offense Day ran at OSU. Saying that style won't work at the NFL level is fine but criticizing Fields for that is head scratching. Calling them bad habits when in essence its the offense he was put in that's dictating the throws he makes. 

Everyone is saying the Shanahan system is a perfect fit for Sam as it forces him to not think and get rid of the ball to check down options. So why wouldn't this also benefit Fields who rarely had the check down options in OSU's offense. This is not a hard thing to "learn"  but first you have to be given the opportunity to make those types of plays. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Sure but I shared those to show what I was referring too.  Plan A, was avoid the rush with the legs and make a play.  I agree that you cant do that every time in the NFL, whereas you can in the college game.  My point was showing you how effortlessly he can do it and why I dont think they ever adjusted the offense. 

2 hours ago, derp said:

Cant that be said about everyone young developing QB?  Hell, there are great pros who are inconsistent with handling pressure.   

2 hours ago, derp said:

I dont think  Fields has bad habits, at all.   He isnt anywhere near as loose with the Football as Darnold.  Even the picks I've seen him make, they were trying to do to much vs. just stupid sh*t like Darnold throwing into triple coverage from a clean pocket, none of that is on Fields film.   His issues were much more glaring in school then Fields; turnovers, sloppy mechanics, etc. all still plague him today, Fields has none of that.

And fwiw, I'm advocating taking Fields at #2 but having him sit a year like Mahomes.  Bring in a bridge QB.  There will be pressure to play the #2 overall but ignore it and do what's best for him because I do think there are part of the game I want to develop before throwing him into the fire. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

No, it's not out there but I've watched every single snap of Justin Fields career and it's very obvious.  They don't give him outlets at all. 

What do you define as an "outlet" because I distinctly remember a couple of big plays against Clemson this year with Sermon as the outlet.  But I do not watch nearly enough Ohio St. to draw any conclusions.

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

I get it Ray.

Any QB in this draft other than Lawrence should sit for at least a year!

When Mahomes was drafted Andy Reid said that he was raw and that he needed at least a year to develop  .  The Jets keep saying we are smarter than everyone and we will put folks like Wilson in a position to FAIL and then moan why they did!!!

53 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

What do you define as an "outlet" because I distinctly remember a couple of big plays against Clemson this year with Sermon as the outlet.  But I do not watch nearly enough Ohio St. to draw any conclusions.

The played you showed I would consider his check down outlet, but if you watch the play again, it looks like he was orginally supposed to stay in and block and then released.  Fields completed 158 passes on the year and OSU RB's had 17 receptions on the year (Sermon had 7 vs. Clemson and NW) and I'd say upwards of 80% were designed throws to the RB as opposed to a check down.  Are there examples of outlet pass/check down sure but they are clearly quite rare.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Sure but I shared those to show what I was referring too.  Plan A, was avoid the rush with the legs and make a play.  I agree that you cant do that every time in the NFL, whereas you can in the college game.  My point was showing you how effortlessly he can do it and why I dont think they ever adjusted the offense. 

Cant that be said about everyone young developing QB?  Hell, there are great pros who are inconsistent with handling pressure.   

I dont think  Fields has bad habits, at all.   He isnt anywhere near as loose with the Football as Darnold.  Even the picks I've seen him make, they were trying to do to much vs. just stupid sh*t like Darnold throwing into triple coverage from a clean pocket, none of that is on Fields film.   His issues were much more glaring in school then Fields; turnovers, sloppy mechanics, etc. all still plague him today, Fields has none of that.

And fwiw, I'm advocating taking Fields at #2 but having him sit a year like Mahomes.  Bring in a bridge QB.  There will be pressure to play the #2 overall but ignore it and do what's best for him because I do think there are part of the game I want to develop before throwing him into the fire. 

So we agree it’s best for him to sit for a year. That’s what I was trying to get at.

You’re kind of quibbling at semantics in what I’m saying. Never said Fields was Darnold. 

Regardless of *why* he ran around in the pocket, we agree that’s not sustainable in the pros - right? I’m not saying he should be good at it yet or he shouldn’t be in play at two.

But I do think the way he handled the blitz in college is in itself a bad habit, regardless of why he did it. You don’t see blitz, think about it for a second, and run around and try to make a play. You see bits and run around. And your point is that was their philosophy was for him to do that repeatedly. What I’m saying is I think that’s hard to just stop doing, especially at the pro level. I don’t really care why he did it.

And I think he’s absolutely more than capable of developing into someone who can quickly pick apart defenses with his arm instead. I just don’t think that happens from stage one. So that, among other things, makes him someone who would benefit from a year off.

Really we may see different things but obviously in general we both see someone who would have it in their best interest to sit a year.