Joe Buck: Troy Aikman and I sometimes had a drink or 2 while broadcasting NFL games

joewilly12

Joe Buck: Troy Aikman and I sometimes had a drink or 2 while broadcasting NFL games

Updated 1:58 PM; Today 1:51 PM 
Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Fox Sports play-by-play announcer Joe Buck (left) said he and NFL analyst Troy Aikman (right), used to have a drink while in the broadcast booth.(AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)

What do you call a drink with tequila, Grand Marnier, and grapefruit juice? Should it be called a “Buck Eight?” or a “Blue Mic?” Whatever the combination would be named, FOX Sportsplay-by-play announcer Joe Buck and analyst Troy Aikmandrank it while in the booth for a few games.

Appearing on The Colin Cowherd Podcast, Buck said it took a little longer to gain the rapport he and Aikman had for football games than it did for Buck to have with his baseball analyst John Smoltz. However, Buck said he and Aikman could bond and do so over a certain drink, even when the two were on the air.

“I’ll say this, we have had that glass of bourbon in the booth,” Buck said. “Although it’s not bourbon, it’s tequila with a splash of Grand Marnier and grapefruit juice.”

Sign up for Eagles Extra: Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

Buck said there was a time when he had a broadcast runner find the biggest beer in the stadium during the first inning.

“I had it sitting there, and I would sip it from time to time to remind myself to relax, have fun, and I’m just doing a game,” Buck said. “I brought that over to football, but because Troy is a man of finer tastes, beer somehow became tequila, Grand Marnier, and grapefruit juice.”

The two have not had their cocktail or any alcohol in the booth for a while now. Buck said it was a way to make sure that he was having fun calling a game and not to take things too seriously.

“We haven’t done it in a long time now, but it was good for a stretch,” Buck said. “I feel like it’s a good mental trigger to just chill and remind yourself that you’re not refueling an F-16 in mid-flight, you’re doing a sporting event. If you treat it like anything other than that, you’re doing yourself a disservice.”

Let me also add that it's not uncommon for people to do a few shots before they go to a funeral or a wedding. Even at Christmas and helps you actually mellow out and enjoy the moment. I'm not trying to condone self-medicating but at times.. well you know.

On the other hand as a performance artist when I was younger I was very strict with my band and there was no partying during performing. Unfortunately I would be ready to puke before every gig and sucking on ice cubes.

I saw George Carlin live coked out of his face and Jimmy Page so banged up on heroin that he had guys on both sides of the stage like it was a pinball machine kind of pushing him back into play. That sucked.

But hey man it's a football game right? I'm sure plenty of the people watching are either at the bar or having a cocktail at home of some kind. As long as they don't over do it.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Anyone but Jim Nance. I literally turn the sound off if he's announcing a game. He's at his worst when his idol Brady is playing.  The ball slurping for those events is horrifying. 

Indeed.  Nantz doesn't drink during games, but often eats Brady - even when he's not actually playing in the game.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1