Report: New 10-year TV Deals Could Be Done “Within A Month”....this could get some teams out of cap hell

If there's a vote to bring some of this money forward we should vote hell no

Report: New 10-year TV Deals Could Be Done “Within A Month”

By Ari Meirov

The NFL is reportedly close to finalizing a deal for its top revenue stream. 

According to Peter King of NBC Sports, the NFL is “within a month” of finalizing 10-year TV deals with its network partners. The expected deal “could result in an aggregate increase of 70 to 100 percent in rights fees from the last contract.”

Andrew Marchand of the New York Post reported in December that the league was in discussions on a deal that could exceed $100 billion in total value over 10 years. 

The current expectation is that CBS, FOX and NBC would keep their Sunday package. 

The destination for the Thursday night package remains unclear, but Amazon is considered the favorite, per King. Whether the Thursday night package would include a cable element like NFL Network, or simply be telecast on local channels of the two participating teams is still unknown. FOX holds the rights for Thursday Night for the next two years. 

Monday Night Football would stay on ESPN and could potentially simulcast on ABC. ESPN, however, wants a stronger Monday night schedule. King mentions in his column that there is a possibility of a late-season flex option for Monday Night Football.

Marchand’s report in December also mentioned that ESPN/ABC could be added to the Super Bowl rotation. ESPN+ is a contender to replace DirecTV for the NFL’s Sunday Ticket package, according to CNBC.

With the salary cap expected to drop in 2021, Jabari Young of CNBC reported last week that the NFL is looking to finalize frameworks of a deal before the setting of this year’s cap number. In that scenario, some of the money to be earned in the TV deals could be shifted the coming season and the cap number wouldn’t drop as much as originally expected. Getting the deals done now could provide the league with the influx of cash to offset the 2020 losses due to the COVID pandemic.

ESPN’s deal for Monday Night Football is set to expire after the 2021 season. The deals for FOX, CBS and NBC run through the 2022 season.

https://nflupdate.co/tvdl/

21 minutes ago, ID. said:

ESPN+ is a contender to replace DirecTV for the NFL’s Sunday Ticket package, according to CNBC.”

This will be interesting, will be available to more people, but I’m wondering how much they’ll charge?

image.jpeg.ede0f7448fb0d992c240394d0128ab00.jpeg
Considering how Disney+ pricing has increased, I’m certain the live streaming of games will go up over what Direct TV charges. Got to keep feeding the beast.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 5

2 hours ago, dcJet said:

The Red Zone is like crack.  That could be a huge money maker for the league if the NFL sold it's rights to ESPN or someone.

This is a good point, I would be more interested in the Red Zone than all the games. Since I get the Jets for free each week anyhow.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is a good point, I would be more interested in the Red Zone than all the games. Since I get the Jets for free each week anyhow.

The New York Jets cost each of us a little piece of our soul every week of the season. It's anything but free.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

What percentage of viewers steal the broadcast with streams?

surprised the networks don’t push back on this 

If a company like Disney or Amazon takes it over from DirecTV I think you would see the illegal streams shutdown as they have manpower to enforce it. I used to be able to stream the UFC pay-per-views illegally and can’t anymore so it can be done. 

It would also be nice to be able to cast the games onto the TV instead of watching on an I-Pad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ID. said:

Agree, but will it be DTV pricing of $300+?  I’d gladly pay $100 for it

DirecTV pays 1.5 billion annually for the out-of-market game rights and Id imagine that figure increase in the next TV contract.

With that said the thought process behind these deals from a TV providers POV isn’t to profit. It is to increase their subscription base. The NFL partnered with a fossil in DirecTV as their subscription base declined substantially over the past decade. 

To answer your question I think the cost will remain about the same, but an additional annual subscription to the service will be required. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

As long as its anyone but Directv I'm fine with it. I have never dealt with such an incompetent service in my life. I have figured a work around to avoid Direct TV sad it took so long but it works like a charm.

I use a VPN through the New York Area and I use my old zip code from Brooklyn  on you tube TV which gives me the local channels in NY 

Man, thanks for teaching an old dog new tricks lol... I've never thought about it that way, although I have to admit this is the first year I've had YouTubeTV, and now a VPN. I'm going to have to try that thanks much.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

In my experience Streaming services suck and always have issues with demand on game days ..they just can't handle the bandwidth. I have tried about 4 or 5 of them and every single one craps out during the games. Then when you call them for support they blame it on your connection so they can **** off,

I use a VPN through the New York Area and I use my old zip code from Brooklyn  then signed up for You Tube TV which gives me the local channels in NY so I get all the Yankee games and Jets games and basically any NY local sports team

I’m out of market too and since the Jets are bad I put up with the streams buffering, delayed etc. If they ever play in a big game again I wouldn’t watch it via stream though. 

Believe it or not, I have been a DirectTV, Sunday ticket subscriber since 1997.

I moved out of Brooklyn, to Indiana, in 1996 and had my parents Fedex VHS copies of the games to me every Monday morning.  I avoided the score (which wasn't that hard to do back in 1996) for a few days until I could watch the games.

That lasted about 3 games into the 96 season, then I told my parents not to bother with it.

When we brought in Parcells prior to the 97 season I used my dial-up internet service to look up this "Direct TV" thing I had heard about that allows you to get out of market games.  Signed up (on credit) and had the dish installed (without the knowledge of my landlord) about a week before the season started.

I'd love to see another provider get the package and, most importantly, offer a limited subscription so I could just by the Jets games for a cheaper price. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, ID. said:

ESPN+ is a contender to replace DirecTV for the NFL’s Sunday Ticket package, according to CNBC.”

This will be interesting, will be available to more people, but I’m wondering how much they’ll charge?

Since ESPN is owned by Disney, it will be decided in a politically correct way. And you will like it. Or else.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Hulu be all screw you, jeto, here's your shameless increase rank with unmitigated greed and I'm all shove it, hulu, I'm cutting live TV and then I'm all hey, anyone know any live streams for games because ftard hulu? @BROOKLYN JET PMs and he's all here you go and I'm all wow, thanks!

raw

You're gonna get me thrown in the gulag.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ID. said:

Big $$$. Just like directv. So glad I don't pay that, and still watch what I want.

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

As long as its anyone but Directv I'm fine with it. I have never dealt with such an incompetent service in my life. I have figured a work around to avoid Direct TV sad it took so long but it works like a charm.

I use a VPN through the New York Area and I use my old zip code from Brooklyn  on you tube TV which gives me the local channels in NY 

Yep, works great. Which vpn do you use?