Central Missouri TE Zach Davidson

All credit to @Chrebetfan80 for steering me towards this treasure. All the Adam Trautman love and then some. These are the types of players we need to invest in later on... Not guys who couldn’t stand out in power 5. GOTTA DIG

with no combine it’s been hard to gauge the temperature on these guys - but I just reached out and talked to Zach and he sounds pretty confident. Suggested he’s getting some love  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Paradis said:

All credit to @Chrebetfan80 for steering me towards this treasure. All the Adam Trautman love and then some. These are the types of players we need to invest in later on... Not guys who couldn’t stand out in power 5. GOTTA DIG

with no combine it’s been hard to gauge the temperature on these guys - but I just reached out and talked to Zach and he sounds pretty confident. Suggested he’s getting some love  

The things you love about davidson is just his natural athleticism.  Its hard to find a lot of 6'7 guys that are that naturally fluid.  He's not stiff at all, and is a surprisingly competent route runner, he has some idea of stems and moves at the release point and break point.  That will come too with development but when you have a guy thats that natrual of an athlete and is already doing those things its a really good indication he can be a good player if developed right. 

He'll lose a step when he puts on weight probably and I think he'll be better playing at 260 than 245 but I dont know how anyone watches the film and says he isnt a great prospect for us. 

Great kid and I think he can be a late round steal 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The things you love about davidson is just his natural athleticism.  Its hard to find a lot of 6'7 guys that are that naturally fluid.  He's not stiff at all, and is a surprisingly competent route runner, he has some idea of stems and moves at the release point and break point.  That will come too with development but when you have a guy thats that natrual of an athlete and is already doing those things its a really good indication he can be a good player if developed right. 

He'll lose a step when he puts on weight probably and I think he'll be better playing at 260 than 245 but I dont know how anyone watches the film and says he isnt a great prospect for us. 

Great kid and I think he can be a late round steal 

Agreed.  The last TE I remember seeing this tall was Donald Parham from Stetson.  Parham was actually pretty fast, I think 4.6 type speed but lacks the fluidity Davidson seems to posses.  Parham may have carved out a role as a red zone target for the Chargers with some additional upside possible.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The last TE I remember seeing this tall was Donald Parham from Stetson.  Parham was actually pretty fast, I think 4.6 type speed but lacks the fluidity Davidson seems to posses.  Parham may have carved out a role as a red zone target for the Chargers with some additional upside possible.  

Yea, at worst i think he can develop into a redzone threat, but with his fluidity its not crazy to see him develop into a real receiving threat eventually.  I am very interested to see what he times at and his other physicals because he looks pretty fast and agile on film. 

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I liked Parham too (and he’s coming on in LA nicely) but he wasn’t as smooth nor as crafty in his routes. Davidson looks like he’s got nothing but daylight. Trautman last year had a lot of the same development milestones and those loose hips. In this weak class Davidson will not go undrafted is my guess 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I liked Parham too (and he’s coming on in LA nicely) but he wasn’t as smooth nor as crafty in his routes. Davidson looks like he’s got nothing but daylight. Trautman last year had a lot of the same development milestones and those loose hips. In this weak class Davidson will not go undrafted is my guess 

I keep looking at the 6th or 7th round probably for him.  Maybe if he blows up a pro day and tests extremely well you could see the back half of the 5th, but my sweet spot is the 6th or 7th.. 

50 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Pleasantly surprised with how smooth he was. I dig it

natrual pass catcher too which you dont always see at the TE position.  A lot of guys have stiff bulky hands.  He has really easy natural hands, interested to see hand size too. 

25 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I keep looking at the 6th or 7th round probably for him.  Maybe if he blows up a pro day and tests extremely well you could see the back half of the 5th, but my sweet spot is the 6th or 7th.. 

Depends on how much buzz there is... this year I don't we the public are privy to the same level of insight on that topic... but that doesn't mean it's not out there in industry circles. Adam Trautman last year who is a good comp for obvious reasons, went in the 3rd round to NOS with one of the comp picks... That was in part because they didn;t want to risk having another team take him. If there's league love, I wouldn't be surprised to see early day 3

19 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Can he block?

I cut some blocking into that video - if you watch it, you'll see. He's a willing blocker and decent one i would say. Not to be confused with a true blocking Y tight end tho. 

8 hours ago, undertow said:

What do you think about the Penn St. kid?  Is worth drafting 34th?

Yea... that's probably about where i would value him. Because Pitts goes top 10 (i'm guessing), i think Freiermuth could get pushed up by a team not willing to gamble on waiting till late in the 2nd. He looks pretty good. Hunter Henry if Hunter didn't have annual injuries.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

natrual pass catcher too which you dont always see at the TE position.  A lot of guys have stiff bulky hands.  He has really easy natural hands, interested to see hand size too. 

I was shocked to see him pulling away especially after reading that he was 6’7”.

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Depends on how much buzz there is... this year I don't we the public are privy to the same level of insight on that topic... but that doesn't mean it's not out there in industry circles. Adam Trautman last year who is a good comp for obvious reasons, went in the 3rd round to NOS with one of the comp picks... That was in part because they didn;t want to risk having another team take him. If there's league love, I wouldn't be surprised to see early day 3

I cut some blocking into that video - if you watch it, you'll see. He's a willing blocker and decent one i would say. Not to be confused with a true blocking Y tight end tho. 

Very true, I think its fair to say though that scouting may be limited on him in a season like this so hopefully that keeps league interest down.  I agree with you though, he's the type of talent that could create a lot of buzz come draft time enough so that he could see him with one of those comp picks in round 4 even.  I'm hoping this isnt the case but certainly possible. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I was shocked to see him pulling away especially after reading that he was 6’7”.

When I was first told about him from one of the WR trainers I talk to during a networking night I wasnt sure what to expect.  He told me the stat line and said he was 6'7 and I anticipated seeing a lot of practice film and highlights of redzone TD's against small lesser competition.  Far from the actuality of what he showed me that night.  I was floored.  I think i messaged @Paradis the next day about him if not that night lol These are guys I trust because they work with a lot of these smaller school guys but also very big stars in the sport.  

One of the guys ive been lucky enough to talk to a few times and get some training programing from just got hired by the Ravens to help with their WR's. 

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Actually, the Jets currently have a TE on the roster who is listed at 6-8", 260. And he sucks. So yeah, its not just the height, Davidson is really athletic and has really good speed at the position. I like this kid a lot. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.