When did you start to lose faith in Sam Darnold?

GreekJet

Like most I was very excited when the Jets drafted him. Given his age I was prepared for some rookie struggles. I just wanted him to hold his head above water and show some positive momentum his rookie year. His rookie year met my expectations and I was looking forward to a year two jump under an established offensive coach.

I recall the beat writers talking Sam up during training camp in 2019. By all accounts he has an excellent preseason and was positioned for uptick in production. Obviously with the Mono and oline crumbling around him that did not happen. 

I still felt okay about him heading into this season, but after his performance in week 1 I was off the bandwagon for good. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

He has regressed since his rookie season.

I had high hopes for  him but as the years went on they diminished. 

Hoping like hell if he remains he can turn it around and be that franchise QB. 

You can argue he has regressed since his RS freshman year at USC.

• Upvote 1

At home to the Bills this year. Right up until that game, I still believed. 

That gamem the Jets actually played well for a half. Jumped out to a 10-0 lead but Darnold still looked terrible. Ended up 12/23, 120 yards, 2 picks. 

As bad as Sam looked in games around then, his look and body language in post-game interviews betrayed a guy that was mentally beaten down and resigned to his fate. 

It sucks. I loved Sam coming out, was convinced he was the 'guy. I jumped on the Zach Wilson bandwagon fairly early in October, but after Darnold, I don't fully trust my ability to judge another QB. Not that it really matters what I think on an internet board. 

• Upvote 4

This is a great question.

I was on the Sam bandwagon for a very long time and it took a lot before I lost faith.   I really think he was better his rookie year than he was this year.  The Jets did a number on this poor kid.

With that said, it was one point this year, I can't remember the game but it was probably mid-season.  He had a reasonable amount of time all game..

and he just threw some awful passes - and at one point they were still in the game...he had time in the pocket and threw the ball into triple coverage - for seemingly no reason at all.  It was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.  No matter what, at that point in his career he shouldn't be making such a bad choice.

That's when I lost faith.  I actually think he might be able to find some success somewhere else, but do believe he has to sit somewhere for a year to regain some semblance of confidence - he's mentally shot right now.

• Upvote 1

Intial worry?  At Jacksonville, in person, during Darnold's rookie season.  The Bortles career day game.  Darnold was dreadful.  Multiple missed receivers.

Final straw?   Week 1, 1st quarter of 2020 versus Buffalo.  Darnold missed several open guys. Both by not seeing them, and some he saw and threw frighteningly inaccurate balls.

Buh-bye...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Especially with our history with USC QBs who had not played all that much, did not understand the pick.  Although I gave him a shot to prove my instincts wrong, first year showed me Darnold was a JAG at best.   The rest is what it is: 13-25, 45 TDs/39 INTs.   39 INTs in less than three full seasons for crissake.

I went to see the Jets play the Chargers here in San Diego on September 19, 2004. In that game Drew Brees did not look like he could ever be a good QB. He was just awful, had no arm, and was clearly out played by Pennington. He was even pulled in the end of the game for Doug Flutie. I thought to myself then that Brees was just one of the worst NFL QBs I had ever seen. 16 years later he is a surefire HOF QB.

So, there is still a possiblity than Sam develops into an elite QB. He has the talent. He is still super young. He seemed to be coachable under Bowles. I have been an ardent supporter of his.

BUT

Somewhere around mid-season I just looked at Sam and realized that he was just bad, He has no confidence, is not dynamic at all, and looks completely lost. He stopped learning from his mistakes.

So it is time to move on. But like Brees, there is a possibility that he becomes an elite QB somewhere else.

Interesting note about that game..Brees got a concussion. After it being diagnosed as a concussion Marty told him essentially to rub some dirt on it and sent him back out there.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Especially with our history with USC QBs who had not played all that much, did not understand the pick.  Although I gave him a shot to prove my instincts wrong, first year showed me Darnold was a JAG at best.   The rest is what it is: 13-25, 45 TDs/39 INTs.   39 INTs in less than three full seasons for crissake.

Good point but it took Vinny just 15 games in his 2nd season to net 35 picks if you count the 4 games he played in year 1 he threw 41 in total..:chas:

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Good point but it took Vinny just 15 games in his 2nd season to net 35 picks if you count the 4 games he played in year 1 he threw 41 in total..:chas:

I was never a Vinny fan until that magical 1998 season.  The guy played out of his mind, as did the rest of the team.   Heartbreaking ending to that season only to be superseded by Vinny blowing out his Achilles in 1999.  We all thought that was going to finally be "the year".

That said, on his best day, I don't think Darnold could shine Vinny's shoes.  

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was never a Vinny fan until that magical 1998 season.  The guy played out of his mind, as did the rest of the team.   Heartbreaking ending to that season only to be superseded by Vinny blowing out his Achilles in 1999.  We all thought that was going to finally be "the year".

That said, on his best day, I don't think Darnold could shine Vinny's shoes.  

How can you compare the teams they played on?? Not to mention by 1998 Vinny was a 12 year veteran..

• Sympathy 1

I actually had a lot of faith in Sam at the end of 2019. Gase and his scheme were abhorrent and so was the OL. He bounced back from mono a d the ghost game.

Once I saw how JD handled Robbie and the offseason, I knew another season under Gase and the worst offensive weaponry in the league would probably wreck his season and career projection.

It’s exactly what happened

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Savage69 said:

How can you compare the teams they played on?? Not to mention by 1998 Vinny was a 12 year veteran..

I'm not.  Just went off on a tangent about Vinny and that '98 team.   Almost every player on this year's squad would have had no shot to make that team.

I appreciate that Darnold is going into his fourth season.  What I don't appreciate is his level of play so far.  As far as I'm concerned (and WTF do I know anyway?), we should move on from the kid.  I'm willing to stand by that opinion.