When did you start to lose faith in Sam Darnold?

GreekJet

I never really liked Darnold. But I got on board as his rookie year ended until the New England game where I remembered that I didn’t care for him. Then the Ghost game happened and I felt bad, but it was Jacksonville 2019 where I saw the final form of bad QB. After Buffalo game 1 this season, I was out. 

• Upvote 1

This offseason. I was pretty high on the draft pick, was cautiously optimistic after his rookie year, was greatly disappointed in his sophomore year and would have been completely out on him if it wasn't such a messed up year for him with his mono, a poor o-line, and learning a new system. 

I bought into a lot of the year 2 in Gase's system hype, but when I read the TC reports from the beat writers the offense sounded as anemic as last year and that was going against the Jets defense - which at minimum was going to have pretty crummy coverage guys. 

I still actually believe in his talent. I think the problem with Sam is he can't throw deep, and he is kind of dumb. I don't think he can process things super fast, and he gets panicked in the pocket. Throw that combo in with Gase's complex offense that requires a QB to set up a lot of stuff at the LOS and I think the excuses his defenders put out for him are legit. If you simplified the game for him like a Shannahan offense would, I think he could be a fine QB. He will always be limited if he can't figure out the deep ball accuracy and removing the 2-3 bone headed decisions he makes - but I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up as a top 15-20 QB for a good stretch of time. If the Jets didn't have the #2 pick I'd probably be convincing myself of his redemption come this summer, but given the options the Jets have it just shouldn't be here. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

2032, the year after his second Super Bowl victory here. Really started to wonder if he had much left.

Was so glad he proved me wrong with the back to back run in 2034 - 2035. Those teams overachieved big time.

I still can't believe after the NY Jets won the AFC Championship game at home in 2032 they torched the RV in the parking lot. 

I still think it was @T0mShane

image.png.f8c923c0e9e2c2deb7e82ee54da52cfe.png

I was fully on the Sam Darnold train until about halfway through this past season. Still really like the guy and wish him the best, but he had TERRIBLE LUCK with the gase hire and the timing of everything. 

However he appears to have regressed since his rookie year, and It's too risky to bet on him to turn it around in year 4 of his contract. We may never have the #2 pick or higher again in quite some time. 

Even if you still believe Darnold can play QB in this league (he can't), how can anyone be cool with him missing 3+ games each of his first 3 seasons in the league?  You simply can't rely on the kid in any facet.  It amazes me there are some out there who want to run it back a 4th time.  

• Upvote 3

When he threw like 7 interceptions in back to back games against New England the Jags I started to feel worried, especially fresh off cratering the season with the mono diagnosis. The Dallas game could only give me so much hope

The pathetic first three games this year pretty much cemented the idea that he won't ever live up to being the 3OA pick

• Upvote 1

I haven't lost faith in Sam at all.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in the new offense, which seems like it will be perfect for him. I know everybody is talking about Watson or taking a QB at 2,  I don't see it happening.  I'm of the opinion that the Jets will roll with Sam and will trade the second pick for more picks, and finally start building this team the right way.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Darnold got better toward the end of his rookie year after he came back from injury.

His second season he had a decent early game against Buffalo, got mono, and finished the season half way decent.

So the feeling entering into Darnold's third season was that he needed to take a step up, but that it was possible, and that the trajectory was overall positive.  

Do to a variety of factors Darnold was a complete disaster last season.  But heading into the 2020 season, I don't think there was any question a team would have traded at least a second round pick for Darnold.  

So the question becomes whether the 2020 season can be erased.  

• Sympathy 1

Being an NFL QB is all about making quick decisions. To be successful, you have to consistently make the right decision while 300-pound musclemen are breathing down your neck looking to crack your ribs. 

It was during last year’s New England ghost game that I decided Darnold will never be able to do this. It had nothing to do with the “ghosts” comment. Put simply, it was because the kid panics and that causes him to do stupid things. He panics when there is a bliz, he panics when there is no blitz. That’s why he ranked 32nd in clean pocket passing percentage in 2020. And I don’t think this is something coaching can fix. 

Lastly, stop telling me its because he’s always “running for his life.” That’s a myth and simply not true. One statistic I found today showed that the average NFL offensive line gave their QBs 2.7 seconds worth of protection on passing plays last season. The Jets number was 2.86 seconds. 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Unfortunately, this was kinda it for me too.

I thought the trajectory coming out of his rookie year was upward.  The way he played in December 2018 was fantastic.

1715328510_ScreenShot2021-02-17at9_08_04PM.png.4dfcc0c5c045b98b101db79547136f33.png

The moment Gase walked through the door, Darnold got Mono, the offensive line got injured and crumbled, etc. it just started to fall apart.  He played bad football, bad mechanics, bad decisions, almost like he was trying to make up for everything bad around him and just compounding it.  I have to believe the talent is still there and that he might be salvageable with a reset by a new coach in a new system, but the question is whether too much damage has already been done?

Where did this guy go?

1756522173_ScreenShot2021-02-17at9_08_32PM.png.8b64af888c89305f977833d76420a76d.png

It will be interesting to hear a Jets post-mortem from Sam someday down the line. My guess is he will look back at his time here and wish that he had spoke up more. He was always so positive about Gase’s offense despite looking so uncomfortable in it. Hindsight 20/20 gotta wonder if he wishes he was more honest with himself and the organization after 2019. Instead he kept quiet and now both he and Gase are out of a job. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Like most I was very excited when the Jets drafted him. Given his age I was prepared for some rookie struggles. I just wanted him to hold his head above water and show some positive momentum his rookie year. His rookie year met my expectations and I was looking forward to a year two jump under an established offensive coach.

I recall the beat writers talking Sam up during training camp in 2019. By all accounts he has an excellent preseason and was positioned for uptick in production. Obviously with the Mono and oline crumbling around him that did not happen. 

I still felt okay about him heading into this season, but after his performance in week 1 I was off the bandwagon for good. 

Week 1 vs Bills of this past season said it all.   No excuses to come into that game looking like a backup for a high school team after all that time to prepare.  

14 hours ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

When I realized his deep ball is terrible, inaccurate and weak , never hit anyone in stride, only looked good because robbed went up and got the ball everytime! 

Indeed. His arm strength is at best average and arguably below average, his accuracy is just about the league's worst and add to that his ghost-induced decision making and the result is: Terrible.  It's apparent that JD needs to rob some team of at least a day 2 pick for him.  I get the dream that most people have that Sam can be coached to at least competency.  But I want more than game managing/competency and have little hope that Sam can be a star.  He'd need to improve his brain-speed, change his atrocious natural insticnts/ habits.  Good luck trying to coach that.