NY Jets/ NY Mets Tim Tebow retires from baseball.

joewilly12

1 hour ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I feel like this was the single move that unraveled the competitive Rex Jets and Sanchez.  Yea 2011 wasn’t great but it was 8-8 and certainly salvageable.  Instead this brought the clown show circus to Florham Park.  For the life of me I cannot understand how any competent GM thought this would be a good move for a young qb trying to develop and team chemistry overall.  

If your starting QB is so insecure that bringing in a wildcat QB, one devoid of any real starting talent and it throws your career into the abyss, you never really had a NFL QB.  

Tim hit about .177 in AAA with no power. I always thought if he wanted to play baseball he could play in an Independent league. As for the Jets he was misused got almost no chance to play Qb he threw about 6 passes all season. Rex and Sparano never wanted him and couldn’t figure out how to use him. He even played special teams that season I would have liked to have seen him get a start they had nothing to lose. Mark was terrible and after he was benched Rex started McElroy. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?  It was bad enough he got promoted to AAA.  The White Sox never let Michael Jordan get past AA.  Both Jordan and Tebow were pretty similar PR situations.

Both should have been given the ceremonial at bat. They’re both big time celebrities who gave it their best shot in another sport. What’s the harm. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Tim hit about .177 in AAA with no power. I always thought if he wanted to play baseball he could play in an Independent league. As for the Jets he was misused got almost no chance to play Qb he threw about 6 passes all season. Rex and Sparano never wanted him and couldn’t figure out how to use him. He even played special teams that season I would have liked to have seen him get a start they had nothing to lose. Mark was terrible and after he was benched Rex started McElroy. 

I believe the story was that Rex wanted Tebow as well as Tannenbaum and Woody. Rex clearly had this second QB plan in mind because he tried to do a little of it in Buffalo on fourth downs. I'm sure Woody was also insistent that Tebow see the field during the season. It was a bad plan all the way around and it seemed everybody thought it was a good idea without really knowing what the idea was.

34 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Both should have been given the ceremonial at bat. They’re both big time celebrities who gave it their best shot in another sport. What’s the harm. 

The harm is you're blocking an actually talented, young player's path, even temporarily.  It's a great honor to be called up to the bigs.  It should be a meritocracy that gets you there.  Not some PR stunt to sell jerseys.  No one owed Jordan or Tebow a thing. 

Tebow was over-promoted when he got sent up to AAA.  He should have never made it past AA.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The harm is you're blocking an actually talented, young player's path, even temporarily.  It's a great honor to be called up to the bigs.  It should be a meritocracy that gets you there.  Not some PR stunt to sell jerseys.  No one owed Jordan or Tebow a thing. 

Tebow was over-promoted when he got sent up to AAA.  He should have never made it past AA.  

It’s one at at bat. A lot of AAA players who have toiled in minor leagues were brought up to pitch or play one game as a tip of the hat to their determination. It’s not a big deal. And you’re talking about 2 legendary sports figures here. Suave. 

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

It’s one at at bat. A lot of AAA players who have toiled in minor leagues were brought up to pitch or play one game as a tip of the hat to their determination. It’s not a big deal. And you’re talking about 2 legendary sports figures here. Suave. 

In order to do that, you have to move him to the 40 man roster. When you move him to the 40 man roster, you knock someone else off, and that exposes him to waiver claims. That spot is valuable. You don't do that.

This isn't high school.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Rex Ryan could not defense the wildcat, and he could not coach it either.

We made the poor kid toss on 30 pounds to run into Mangold 1 or 2 times a game. I felt bad for him

Edit: and this is coming from a dude who's roommate in South Boston hid everything sharp as a joke before I came home and heard we traded for him

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In order to do that, you have to move him to the 40 man roster. When you move him to the 40 man roster, you knock someone else off, and that exposes him to waiver claims. That spot is valuable. You don't do that.

This isn't high school.

It’s been done numerous times. Get a high school diploma and a grip. 

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This isn't high school.

And of course he downvoted this.  What a tool.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Wonderboy said:

It’s been done numerous times. Get a high school diploma and a grip. 

This comment convinces me that you have no idea of baseball roster construction, nor the value of the 40 man roster. 

Show me recent examples of a player that has no future, bumping someone off the 40 man roster in order for a token appearance.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

BTW, the Mets did him the favor of inviting him to spring training. 

Agreed. But again, he’s no run of the mill project. He’s an athlete, Heisman winner and has some baseball talent. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Props to him for giving it a shot.

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Agreed. But again, he’s no run of the mill project. He’s an athlete, Heisman winner and has some baseball talent. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Props to him for giving it a shot.

Hey, he got an opportunity that we all could only dream about. By all accounts, he never big leagued it and treated everyone great.

But saying the Mets owed him one at bat is careless. 

16 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

So did a quick search and found a website Cup of coffee batters. There 1019 players who have played only 1 game in history of baseball. And NO, I am not naming them all. ??‍♂️

THAT was not the question. Name someone, that was being given an at bat as a "favor or token", during the 40  man roster period.

THAT is the issue.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

THAT was not the question. Name someone, that was being given an at bat as a "favor or token", during the 40  man roster period.

THAT is the issue.

Come on man.  We all know Moonlight Graham was a celebrity doctor.  Jersey sales for the NY Giants went way up after his debut.  

• Post of the Week 1