NY Jets/ NY Mets Tim Tebow retires from baseball.

joewilly12

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

THAT was not the question. Name someone, that was being given an at bat as a "favor or token", during the 40  man roster period.

THAT is the issue.

So 1019 batters and 548 pitchers played only 1 game for their MLB team.  Doesn't it come to reason the powers that be had already assessed a player's ability to succeed after 1 game at the MBL level.  Obviously there is something else at play there.  But what a thrill it must be to be in the minor leagues for years and finally be called up to the Major Leagues, even for just one day.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

So 1019 batters and 548 pitchers played only 1 game for their MLB team.  Doesn't it come to reason the powers that be had already assessed a player's ability to succeed after 1 game at the MBL level.  Obviously there is something else at play there.  But what a thrill it must be to be in the minor leagues for years and finally be called up to the Major Leagues, even for just one day.

1019 batters and 548 pitchers and yet you can’t name a single one that fits Scott’s very clear criteria.

”Celebrity call ups” or “honorary call ups” aren’t a thing.  You have to earn it.  Hitting .163 in AAA doesn’t cut it.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1019 batters and 548 pitchers and yet you can’t name a single one that fits Scott’s very clear criteria.

”Celebrity call ups” or “honorary call ups” aren’t a thing.  You have to earn it.  Hitting .163 in AAA doesn’t cut it.  

Take your pick you have 1019 hitters and 548 pitchers. But as always, you have to be right, so.

• Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Take your pick you have 1019 hitters and 548 pitchers. But as always, you have to be right, so.

You continue to ignore the fact that there is a roster management portion to this puzzle. That in order to have that "one at bat", he would have been needed to be added to the 40 man roster. Meaning that the Mets would have had to waive someone that actually has a use for being on their roster. It appears you are very naive and ignorant to MLB roster management, but MLB teams take very seriously whom they place on the 40 man. That would have been derelict to roster construction and blatantly giving away a player that has value to another team in the name of giving an at bat to someone that does not deserve it.  Being derelict to being a fireable offense. In other words, stupid.

Secondly, the Mets had no idea that Tebow was going to retire just prior to this camp. The retirement was Tebow's idea. So the Mets had zero idea this was going to happen. What are they to do? Magically zoom back to last September and insert him into a game? 

You can't be this obtuse.  While it may have been a nice idea, it falls into the realm of being incredibly stupid. There is no basis of justification from roster management, or common sense. i don't know if you are being argumentative to just be stubborn, or if you are really this ignorant. 

There is a process that mlb GM's have in creating a way that mlb players appear in a game. That process was created in order to prevent certain teams from stashing and hoarding players within their organization. It exposes excess in order to share the wealth. Giving Tim Tebow a token appearance would have been incredibly idiotic.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

You continue to ignore the fact that there is a roster management portion to this puzzle. That in order to have that "one at bat", he would have been needed to be added to the 40 man roster. Meaning that the Mets would have had to waive someone that actually has a use for being on their roster. It appears you are very naive and ignorant to MLB roster management, but MLB teams take very seriously whom they place on the 40 man. That would have been derelict to roster construction and blatantly giving away a player that has value to another team in the name of giving an at bat to someone that does not deserve it.  Being derelict to being a fireable offense. In other words, stupid.

Secondly, the Mets had no idea that Tebow was going to retire just prior to this camp. The retirement was Tebow's idea. So the Mets had zero idea this was going to happen. What are they to do? Magically zoom back to last September and insert him into a game? 

You can't be this obtuse.  While it may have been a nice idea, it falls into the realm of being incredibly stupid. There is no basis of justification from roster management, or common sense. i don't know if you are being argumentative to just be stubborn, or if you are really this ignorant. 

There is a process that mlb GM's have in creating a way that mlb players appear in a game. That process was created in order to prevent certain teams from stashing and hoarding players within their organization. It exposes excess in order to share the wealth. Giving Tim Tebow a token appearance would have been incredibly idiotic.  

Wow you really get your panties up in a twist. And over something so incredibly  inconsequential. I give you the OCD edge over Jetsfan80. Congrats. 

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Wow you really get your panties up in a twist. And over something so incredibly  inconsequential. I give you the OCD edge over Jetsfan80. Congrats. 

It may be time  to realize that talking sports in a meaningful discussion may not be a participatory sport for you. Something akin to you being given a token at bat and you went down without taking the wood off your shoulder.

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It may be time  to realize that talking sports in a meaningful discussion may not be a participatory sport for you. Something akin to you being given a token at bat and you went down without taking the wood off your shoulder.

LOL but I got that at bat while you play backyard baseball on Nintendo. 

12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Look who's talking about "having to be right".  You not taking the time to educate yourself on this very simple topic is not my problem.  But it is likely going to be a problem that you seem to argue like this with a lot of people on the board.  You're living proof that age doesn't lead to wisdom, apparently.

I don't have to be right.  I just am in this instance, as is Scott.  I'll save you the time here:  1019 hitters and 548 pitchers, and not one of them fits the criteria Scott was talking about.  Not a single one.  

You are a fool, and there's no more reason for this discussion to continue.  Please drop me a neg rep and take the last word, I know these things are important to you.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Look who's talking about "having to be right".  You not taking the time to educate yourself on this very simple topic is not my problem.  But it is likely going to be a problem that you seem to argue like this with a lot of people on the board.  You're living proof that age doesn't lead to wisdom, apparently.

I don't have to be right.  I just am in this instance, as is Scott.  I'll save you the time here:  1019 hitters and 548 pitchers, and not one of them fits the criteria Scott was talking about.  Not a single one.  

You are a fool, and there's no more reason for this discussion to continue.  Please drop me a neg rep and take the last word, I know these things are important to you.  

You should switch medications the one you’re on is not working. Ever since I posted my opinion on depression you’ve acted like an insolent child with me. Obviously I hit a nerve. Not sure what’s your problem But be my guest and get all riled up on this board. Seems to help you manage your anxiety.