Franchise Tag dept. : should we tag marcus maye ? ? ?

kelly

The NFL never sleeps, and neither do we here at PFF. The first important date of the 2021 offseason is already right around the corner, as February 23 marks the opening for when teams can place the franchise or transition tenders on their respective free agents. That tag window runs through March 9. Teams may use only one tender per offseason, so the decision has ripple effects across the roster.

Following Adam Schefter’s report that the salary cap is expected to be between $180 million and $181 million, we split the difference with a $180.5 million 2021 salary cap projection. Using that figure, franchise tag projections tentatively come out to : 

Position Designation 2021 Projection ($180.5M Cap)
Cornerback $14.894M
Defensive end $15.893M
Defensive tackle $13.736M
Linebacker $14.630M
Offensive line $13.602M
Punter or kicker $4.433M
Quarterback $24.829M
Running back $8.561M
Safety $10.496M
Tight end $9.495M
Wide receiver $15.808M

With these numbers in mind, we took a look across the NFL to discuss the most likely franchise tag candidates for all 32 teams (if there is one).

~ ~ NEW YORK JETS : S MARCUS MAYE

2020 overall grade : 82.8
Projected franchise tag number : $10.496M

Maye has done his best to ease Jets fans’ pain after Jamal Adams was shipped off to the Seattle Seahawks. Drafted in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft to be Adams’ running mate for years to come, Maye has developed into a really good player in his own right. He may not get you 9.5 sacks, but he’s a strong coverage player who can also come down in the box and do some damage of his own.The Jets obviously don’t have a ton of talent to speak of, so retaining a player of Maye’s caliber should be a priority. If an extension cannot be reached, a franchise tag would make a lot of sense here. The Jets are one of the few teams that have ample cap space in 2021, so a large one-year salary for Maye doesn’t hurt them like it would many other clubs.

rest of above article

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-franchise-tag-candidates-all-32-nfl-teams#NYJ

• Thumb Down 1

47 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hell no.  Maybe a team w/ super bowl aspirations would do something like this.  We are rebuilding.

We will offer him a fair contract.  Maybe making him the 10th-12th highest paid safety in the league.

He will get a better offer elsewhere and leave and we will find a safety in the 5th round to replace him.

We should pay him what he can get elsewhere.  We need leaders and homegrown talent 

• Upvote 2

He will be what, 28 years old? Only chance for him to really cash in on a big pay day. Buddha Baker was taken 3 picks ahead of Maye and got $15m per year. I'd be stunned if Maye didn't start negotiations there. I don't blame him one bit.

That said, we absolutely tell him we want a long term deal, accept this fair offer of $12m per season or we will slap you with the franchise tag for $2m less and reassess next year.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely. If we can't reach a long-term deal, the franchise tag at $10.5M is a no brainer.

The Jets aren't in a position where they can afford to let good players walk for nothing.

Maye is a good player, the franchise tag figure is more than manageable, so you tag him if you can't reach a deal.

• Upvote 1

Hell no.  Maybe a team w/ super bowl aspirations would do something like this.  We are rebuilding.
We will offer him a fair contract.  Maybe making him the 10th-12th highest paid safety in the league.
He will get a better offer elsewhere and leave and we will find a safety in the 5th round to replace him.
So you're saying take one of the 2 or 3 positions that we're reasonably set at, and can re-sign at a reasonable number, and add that to the 20+ positions of need? You have a 7 year plan I guess? Or are you trading down with every pick and absolutely just taking over the 7th round?
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, isired said:
On 2/17/2021 at 7:15 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

So you're saying take one of the 2 or 3 positions that we're reasonably set at, and can re-sign at a reasonable number, and add that to the 20+ positions of need? You have a 7 year plan I guess? Or are you trading down with every pick and absolutely just taking over the 7th round?

QB (assuming Darnold is out), Edge, CB, WR, OG, RB, K. And a bunch of depth re-signings, later round draft picks, UDFAs, etc. to play special teams and fill in depth.   

It's A LOT. And I know you were exaggerating with the 20+ number. And I personally DON'T want to let Maye walk. 

I'm just over this narrative that the Jets have absolutely zero talent. I think it seems like that because of the 2 win result last year. But they had awful coaching with Gase, a regressing QB, and a slew of injuries, etc. etc., we all saw what a sh*t show last year was and it wasn't just the roster. 

If JD addresses the above 7 positions in FA and the draft (5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds, lots of cap space) this team won't be GOOD but it will be far from terrible. And if he does it right, they will be in a great position to get much better the following year, with a young, developing roster.   

JD is signed for what, 5 more years. IMO, the plan is for this team to be legitimately competitive in the next 2-3 years at which point JD will have about 2-3 seasons with a contending team to try and 'win it all'. At least that's the hope as I see it. This is in part why I think it makes such perfect sense that with Saleh signed for 5 years the Jets will draft a QB at #2 so they have a FQB on a rookie contract for the next 5 years- potential FQB, Saleh and JD all on the same timeline.  

On 2/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, bla bla bla said:

That said, we absolutely tell him we want a long term deal, accept this fair offer of $12m per season or we will slap you with the franchise tag for $2m less and reassess next year.

Agree with this except the threatening the tag.  It is unnecessary to even bring that up in a negotiation.  He already knows the Jets can do that.

QB (assuming Darnold is out), Edge, CB, WR, OG, RB, K. And a bunch of depth re-signings, later round draft picks, UDFAs, etc. to play special teams and fill in depth.   
It's A LOT. And I know you were exaggerating with the 20+ number. And I personally DON'T want to let Maye walk. 
I'm just over this narrative that the Jets have absolutely zero talent. I think it seems like that because of the 2 win result last year. But they had awful coaching with Gase, a regressing QB, and a slew of injuries, etc. etc., we all saw what a sh*t show last year was and it wasn't just the roster. 
If JD addresses the above 7 positions in FA and the draft (5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds, lots of cap space) this team won't be GOOD but it will be far from terrible. And if he does it right, they will be in a great position to get much better the following year, with a young, developing roster.   
JD is signed for what, 5 more years. IMO, the plan is for this team to be legitimately competitive in the next 2-3 years at which point JD will have about 2-3 seasons with a contending team to try and 'win it all'. At least that's the hope as I see it. This is in part why I think it makes such perfect sense that with Saleh signed for 5 years the Jets will draft a QB at #2 so they have a FQB on a rookie contract for the next 5 years- potential FQB, Saleh and JD all on the same timeline.  
I was exaggerating, but some of the positions you listed are x2, and we have no idea what our LB situation is either, though the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 actually fits our personnel better IMO. And we probably need another quality TE in Lefleur's offense.

I've always liked Marcus Maye from day one. I've especially always liked him way more than that other professional carrot waxer that he used to play beside.

So is that being said...

if he fits in the new scheme I would be more than happy to keep him here and I'm pretty sure he would take a little less than market value to do so. He's a cool dude.

• Upvote 1

Funny I just read my post back to check for errors, I made myself laugh thinking about the George Carlin more than happy skit! Look it up on YouTube!

Some people are ....more than happy.

EDIT: I just looked it up its George Carlin expressions and sayings it's a 9 Minute skit. F****** hilarious.. check it out and sorry I can't post the link!

On 2/18/2021 at 11:28 AM, isired said:
On 2/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

U must not have read my post.  I said we will try to resign him at a reasonable number.  But he will get more elsewhere then our reasonable number and we will let him go.

We are not overpaying for safeties.  We already showed that by dealing Adams.

Out with the McCagnan, in with the Douglas.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:53 AM, rangerous said:

It seems pretty simple. If the jets want to they franchise him this season at 10.5 and then next at 12.5 so the average cost for two more seasons will come in around 11.75 per.  His contract will need to be pretty close to those numbers.

You want to sign Marcus Maye for $23M for 2?  If he gets pretty close to those numbers he can retire elsewhere.  Like the player hate the deal.  I can't imagine a guy that balked at paying Anderson would even consider that.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, bla bla bla said:

He will be what, 28 years old? Only chance for him to really cash in on a big pay day. Buddha Baker was taken 3 picks ahead of Maye and got $15m per year. I'd be stunned if Maye didn't start negotiations there. I don't blame him one bit.

Gee 12M a year @ 3-4 years. Seems it’d be hard to live off that. 

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Funny I just read my post back to check for errors, I made myself laugh thinking about the George Carlin more than happy skit! Look it up on YouTube!

Some people are ....more than happy.

EDIT: I just looked it up its George Carlin expressions and sayings it's a 9 Minute skit. F****** hilarious.. check it out and sorry I can't post the link!

I’d be more than happy to post it for you

George went to my high school. Got thrown out LOL

• Post of the Week 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:53 AM, rangerous said:

It seems pretty simple. If the jets want to they franchise him this season at 10.5 and then next at 12.5 so the average cost for two more seasons will come in around 11.75 per.  His contract will need to be pretty close to those numbers.

Will be interesting to see what the Seahawks do with Jamal next year. Can’t see him getting anywhere close to the money he reportedly was looking for. Should have went to the Jets last season and signed something in the 13-14MM range. 

I also see the franchise tag going away in the next CBA. Player movement is good for the league. 

no its not. more guys moving constantly just another watering down of the quality. the tags are a safeguard to keep a team’s and fan’s investment in a program.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

You wouldn't tag him for $10.5 mil?

You just dont want to keep players who can help win games?  Only if you have SB aspirations?