Franchise Tag dept. : should we tag marcus maye ? ? ?

On 2/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, bla bla bla said:

He will be what, 28 years old? Only chance for him to really cash in on a big pay day. Buddha Baker was taken 3 picks ahead of Maye and got $15m per year. I'd be stunned if Maye didn't start negotiations there. I don't blame him one bit.

That said, we absolutely tell him we want a long term deal, accept this fair offer of $12m per season or we will slap you with the franchise tag for $2m less and reassess next year.

We should absolutely tag him rather than let him go.  I would extend him for three years at 12 per and give him half the money up front.  He has earned that money and deserves his payday. 

Those on this board who wish to be cheap with Woody's money miss the point.  He is going to get paid.  If he has to leave to get the money he will.  Nor will we be able to sign an all-pro to replace him.  Nobody is coming and teams do not let their starting free agents hit the market.  Only bad teams do that.

It really is rather simple.  Draft well.  Build inside out.  Sign your players who work out and replace those who do not.  The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence.

I fear we are getting the reputation of the post Jim Kelly Buffalo Bills.  When they found a late pick tight end and he grew suddenly and made all-pro at left tackle.  They tried to sign him.  Offered good money.  He told them he would NEVER sign and they had to let him go.  They tried everything and - at the last minute when he was about to break free of their grasp - they dealt him to the Eagles for a late first-round pick.  The player - Jason Peters.

We have to REWARD good players or this will happen to us.  I fear it already has happened.  Many on this board were delighted when we dealt Leo for a third and a fifth.  I too was delighted.  Not to lose Leo (an obvious mistake), but because we were about to lose him for a compensation 3d.  I fear he had told us to go to hell.  I was delighted when we got something more.  Like Sheldon Richardson and Jamal Adams, these are quality NFL starters and you get weaker when you lose them.  Not what I wanted to say, but it is the bitter truth.  We cannot let him leave.  

On 2/19/2021 at 9:32 PM, TokyoJetsFan said:

The guys I like on that list are Joseph and Neal.  Both have been hurt and cannot play the free.  There are no answers there and Maye is the best player.  Never mind the fantasy football message it sends the team.  A team is a family.  They are going to war together.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:45 PM, #27TheDominator said:

You want to sign Marcus Maye for $23M for 2?  If he gets pretty close to those numbers he can retire elsewhere.  Like the player hate the deal.  I can't imagine a guy that balked at paying Anderson would even consider that.

True, but remember, hes admitted that he made a mistake, should have paid Anderson

Lets hope he learned his lesson, you need to keep some of you players.  $23 for two is pretty much what I figured you would pay for a Maye.