NFL.com 2020 draft class rankings: Jets # 14

Jetsfan80

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-rookie-report-card-ranking-each-team-s-class-1-to-32

Rank

New York Jets

New York Jets
Class grade: B

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Notable Undrafted Free Agents

FILICE: Hired in June of 2019, Joe Douglas had to wait 10 months before making his first pick as an NFL general manager. Finally on the clock with the No. 11 pick last April, he went big -- real big -- and the Jets reaped the benefits. "Mount Becton" entered the NFL as something of a freak show, a 6-foot-7, 363-pound athletic monster with a college highlight reel so laughably dominant that you had to question the competition. But then he went out in Week 1 and started ragdolling Buffalo Bills like those overmatched ACC pass rushers of yore. The rest of the season played out much the same, with the 21-year-old rookie frequently looking like a man amongst boys, though injuries forced the left tackle to miss some action. Becton's a foundational pillar, and not just because he blocks teammates from the sun. Douglas' second pick was more injured and less impactful, but once Mims' hamstrings began to cooperate, he flashed the chunk-play ability and extensive catch radius that had made him a Draft Twitter darling. The Jets cycled through a cadre of rooks in the secondary, and ex-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams didn't always put them in positions to succeed. (Remember when he put the other Lamar Jackson on an island with speed merchant Henry Ruggs III on the infamous zero blitz call?) Still, Davis showed promise as an athletic, aggressive safety before ending the season on IR, while Guidry looked like a potential find as an undrafted corner with speed to burn. Punters are people, too, and Mann was a serviceable one in Year 1.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I heard this draft was a failure because of James Morgan and that we were doomed

Meanwhile, this is how one of those "ground & pound" teams the Jets are supposed to emulate did:

Rank

Tennessee Titans

Tennessee Titans
Class grade: F

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 5

Round 7

FILICE: The Titans lost right tackle Jack Conklin to free agency last March. They lost left tackle Taylor Lewan to a season-ending injury in October. They lost Lewan's replacement, Ty Sambrailo, to a season-ending injury in November. And yet, Wilson was only activated for one game this past season, logging three kneel-down snaps in Tennessee's Week 12 win at Indianapolis. So, what happened to the first-round pick? Well, honestly, his selection at No. 29 overall raised eyebrows to begin with. Widely viewed as a developmental prospect whose mammoth size distracted from shoddy technique, Wilson ranked just 66th on NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah's final big board, behind nine other offensive tackles. So, from an on-field standpoint, it felt like a reach from jump street. The off-field stuff, though -- that's where it really went off the rails. Wilson landed on the reserve/COVID-19 list at the start of training camp. A short time later, he received a trespass warning when police broke up a party at Tennessee State. Then he hit the reserve/COVID-19 list again just before the season kicked off. During his second stint away from the team, Wilson was arrested for driving under the influence. In Week 13, he was suspended for violating club rules. The following week, Wilson was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list, where he spent the rest of the season. At his season-ending press conference last month, Mike Vrabel was asked about the first-round pick. "I can't comment on Isaiah," the Titans coach said. "I wouldn't even begin to be able to eloquently have an answer for you." Veteran OL teammate Rodger Saffold offered some choice words on the same day: "We have a certain way of doing things here. We have a blue-collar mentality where you work. And everything you get, you earn. So sometimes the decisions that you make, you have to live with the consequences." Long story short: Wilson's debut season went about as poorly as possible. Meanwhile, Fulton missed 10 games due to injuries and a trip to the reserve/COVID-19 list. Evans missed 11 games with groin and hamstring ailments. Jackson, the latter of Tennessee's two seventh-round picks, probably provided the best ROI just by participating in 11 games. The future is a beautiful mystery for all NFL players, of course, but the task in this exercise is to grade each rookie class' Year 1 performance. And in that sense, there's just no denying that this group failed.

@Raideraholic

Rank

Las Vegas Raiders

Las Vegas Raiders
Class grade: C

Round 1

Round 3

Round 4

SHOOK: Ruggs didn't put up the numbers one would expect from the 12th overall pick, but he still showed plenty of promise. Raiders general manager Mike Mayock said recently Ruggs' athleticism is visible, but he needs to work on his ability to get in and out of breaks and his strength in Year 2. That's true; we knew Ruggs would be able to use his athleticism, but he can't rely solely on it at the highest level of football. The jury is still out on Arnette, whose selection was a head-scratcher at the time, because he dealt with multiple health issues (broken hand, concussions, COVID-19). The Raiders gave up on Bowden extremely quickly, shipping him to Miami before the start of the season. Edwards has the physical tools to make a difference and seems as if he just needs more time to grow. Muse's entire rookie season was wiped out by a foot issue that required toe surgery. Simpson was supposed to get a season to develop, but he ended up making two starts because of Richie Incognito's season-ending injury, getting valuable game reps in his first season before ceding the role to the more experienced Denzelle Good. Robertson played an equal amount of defense and special teams, recording four tackles in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile, this is how one of those "ground & pound" teams the Jets are supposed to emulate did:

Rank

Tennessee Titans

Tennessee Titans
Class grade: F

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 5

Round 7

FILICE: The Titans lost right tackle Jack Conklin to free agency last March. They lost left tackle Taylor Lewan to a season-ending injury in October. They lost Lewan's replacement, Ty Sambrailo, to a season-ending injury in November. And yet, Wilson was only activated for one game this past season, logging three kneel-down snaps in Tennessee's Week 12 win at Indianapolis. So, what happened to the first-round pick? Well, honestly, his selection at No. 29 overall raised eyebrows to begin with. Widely viewed as a developmental prospect whose mammoth size distracted from shoddy technique, Wilson ranked just 66th on NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah's final big board, behind nine other offensive tackles. So, from an on-field standpoint, it felt like a reach from jump street. The off-field stuff, though -- that's where it really went off the rails. Wilson landed on the reserve/COVID-19 list at the start of training camp. A short time later, he received a trespass warning when police broke up a party at Tennessee State. Then he hit the reserve/COVID-19 list again just before the season kicked off. During his second stint away from the team, Wilson was arrested for driving under the influence. In Week 13, he was suspended for violating club rules. The following week, Wilson was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list, where he spent the rest of the season. At his season-ending press conference last month, Mike Vrabel was asked about the first-round pick. "I can't comment on Isaiah," the Titans coach said. "I wouldn't even begin to be able to eloquently have an answer for you." Veteran OL teammate Rodger Saffold offered some choice words on the same day: "We have a certain way of doing things here. We have a blue-collar mentality where you work. And everything you get, you earn. So sometimes the decisions that you make, you have to live with the consequences." Long story short: Wilson's debut season went about as poorly as possible. Meanwhile, Fulton missed 10 games due to injuries and a trip to the reserve/COVID-19 list. Evans missed 11 games with groin and hamstring ailments. Jackson, the latter of Tennessee's two seventh-round picks, probably provided the best ROI just by participating in 11 games. The future is a beautiful mystery for all NFL players, of course, but the task in this exercise is to grade each rookie class' Year 1 performance. And in that sense, there's just no denying that this group failed.

Sounds like Wilson is on notice big time.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It was a pretty good draft early and late. Rounds 3-4 not so hot.

I'm willing to hold out hope that Davis and Zuniga are useful contributors next season.  Zuniga has great physical tools at a position that demands those, and Davis is basically being asked to be the center fielder of the defense, a spot that takes time to develop.  Camp reports on him were positive when it came to his work ethic and athleticism.  We'll see. 

The Perine pick was objectively bad because he lacks upside.  I think he'll be decent under the new coaching staff, since they love one-cut RB's, but he'll never be anything special.  I'd have preferred a bit bigger of a swing if we were going to take a RB there.  Clark, meanwhile is exactly the kind of pipeline OL you look to take in that Rd 4-5 range, but I was hoping he'd at least see the field last season with all of the team's injuries.  The Morgan pick has been debated ad nauseum here so I really see no need to rehash that.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

14th?  Top half of the league?

With more than a few injured and/or non contributors?

Let the line form to disagree, its coming. 

EXACTLY!  OH!  And what happens in three years we have three starters out of this draft?  Then again, we will probably have a new GM because...Well, you know, we didn't go to the Super Bowl in the first two years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm willing to hold out hope that Davis and Zuniga are useful contributors next season.  Zuniga has great physical tools at a position that demands those, and Davis is basically being asked to be the center fielder of the defense, a spot that takes time to develop.  Camp reports on him were positive when it came to his work ethic and athleticism.  We'll see. 

The Perine pick was objectively bad because he lacks upside.  I think he'll be decent under the new coaching staff, since they love one-cut RB's, but he'll never be anything special.  I'd have preferred a bit bigger of a swing if we were going to take a RB there.  Clark, meanwhile is exactly the kind of pipeline OL you look to take in that Rd 4-5 range, but I was hoping he'd at least see the field last season with all of the team's injuries.  The Morgan pick has been debated ad nauseum here so I really see no need to rehash that.

Davis I'm still high on. He's a dynamic athlete and was thrust into a tough position to learn with the short off-season.

Zuniga has the measurables but I wasn't excited as what I saw from him in 2020.

Perine pick made no sense. He was outplayed by Ty Johnson.

Clark we'll see. Not encouraging that he couldn't get on the field given our issues at G but he was always a project.

Morgan pick didn't make much sense to me at the time, Nothing has changed.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jon Gruden's desire for toys over everything backfires once again.  2 decades of skill player fetish for Gruden and he never learns that you need to diversify in the draft.

Good to see you are coming around lol... Every football team needs skill players, but if the rest of the TEAM is not there, then skill players don't help that much. Once JD gets the trenches completed, then you'll see this team start to take off.

And yes, just so you don't think I am a complete moron we'll need a QB that can deliver :D

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

He did OK for his first draft. Clearly he went astray in the third round by drafting D instead of more O. 

I mean, the only useful Round 3 picks on offense in 2020 who were still on the board at 68 were Guards Damien Lewis and Jonah Jackson and C Lloyd Cushenberry.  That's it, end of list.  No WR outside of perhaps Devin Duvernay showed much as rookies. 

I guess you can crush JD for not putting more into the Interior OL, but no one could have predicted Connor McGovern would struggle as badly as he did.  He was graded as a top 10 or so Center in the NFL upon arrival and was one of the few FA's Douglas signed whose contract dictated a guaranteed multi-year commitment.  

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Good to see you are coming around lol... Every football team needs skill players, but if the rest of the TEAM is not there, then skill players don't help that much. Once JD gets the trenches completed, then you'll see this team start to take off.

And yes, just so you don't think I am a complete moron we'll need a QB that can deliver :D

I think you have me confused.  I was never that enamored with the shiny toys.  Mims, Crowder and Perriman really wasn't that bad of a WR trio.  Sam Darnold is the reason people think our WR's are not good.  

That said, Chris Godwin is my # 1 free agency target.  Let's get a true WR1 in here just in case Mims is more of a WR2.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Isaiah Wilson is a case study on why pounding the table for prospects based on YouTube clips isn't the best scouting approach.

We are just computer nerds, and need to accept that.    

None of us have much of a clue of the character of these kids.  GM's have extensive scouting reports and several interviews to go on.  It's unacceptable for teams to use early picks on guys with huge red flags like these.  Grab someone like this in the late 2nd/3rd round and see what happens.  But not a late 1st. 

OT was such a huge concern for the Titans, apparently, yet they could have just given Conklin a 5th year option or extended him.  Instead they just HAD to pay overrated secondary guys like Kevin Byard and Malcolm Butler big money.  Madness.  Tennessee's use of their resources have been terrible of late.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-rookie-report-card-ranking-each-team-s-class-1-to-32

Rank

New York Jets

New York Jets
Class grade: B

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Notable Undrafted Free Agents

FILICE: Hired in June of 2019, Joe Douglas had to wait 10 months before making his first pick as an NFL general manager. Finally on the clock with the No. 11 pick last April, he went big -- real big -- and the Jets reaped the benefits. "Mount Becton" entered the NFL as something of a freak show, a 6-foot-7, 363-pound athletic monster with a college highlight reel so laughably dominant that you had to question the competition. But then he went out in Week 1 and started ragdolling Buffalo Bills like those overmatched ACC pass rushers of yore. The rest of the season played out much the same, with the 21-year-old rookie frequently looking like a man amongst boys, though injuries forced the left tackle to miss some action. Becton's a foundational pillar, and not just because he blocks teammates from the sun. Douglas' second pick was more injured and less impactful, but once Mims' hamstrings began to cooperate, he flashed the chunk-play ability and extensive catch radius that had made him a Draft Twitter darling. The Jets cycled through a cadre of rooks in the secondary, and ex-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams didn't always put them in positions to succeed. (Remember when he put the other Lamar Jackson on an island with speed merchant Henry Ruggs III on the infamous zero blitz call?) Still, Davis showed promise as an athletic, aggressive safety before ending the season on IR, while Guidry looked like a potential find as an undrafted corner with speed to burn. Punters are people, too, and Mann was a serviceable one in Year 1.

They had the Patsies draft ahead of us therefore not valid.