WENTZ TRADED TO COLTS

JetsFanatic

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

what? did you watch Wentz play last year, peter pan? He was worse than Darnold and he as contract that makes my marriage look like a dream to get out of. 

If anything his drives up Sam's price.

You have to have a team to want him...so who wants him? Whos left?

The talk of Wentz going for a Stafford sized package was always nonsense. Philly may have wanted a deal like that, but they were never going to get it. His insane contract and injury history were always going to keep the price down.

Darnold, if he's moved, should go for more because he's younger, less brittle, and far less costly against the cap. I'd still say a 1st rounder this year at least.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm just saying the Wentz deal, should, hopefully, open JD's eyes and get the best  he can for Darnold.  

Douglas should look to get the best he can for Darnold rather than let him walk after 2021 for nothing.  This was true prior to and after this Wentz deal.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Good trade for Philadelphia.  Addition by subtraction plus addition by addition.  

Yes. Philly won this trade.

They got rid of a huge salary, picked up a 2nd and 3rd for a guy - whether he's good or bad for them - simply can't stay healthy.

If he can't play he doesn't help you.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think everyone sees a reclamation project with as much work or more than needed for Sam Darnold... except Wentz that poison pill contract. 

Sam should fetch 2x 2s or 1.

Whether Sam fetches that or not, they're not on equal ground money-wise for a new team's trial run season. Darnold's contract makes him a good amount less of an investment risk just in terms of immediate dollars. Plus while Wentz is more accomplished, Darnold is considered more of a blank slate, with teams surely figuring most of his problems stem from being drafted by and being stuck on the Jets. 

Also I don't know that this resets the market for Darnold because the Jets aren't desperate to get rid of him like the Eagles were with Wentz. 

edit: Wentz has a good amount more guaranteed; didn't see that another $15MM vests in the first week of the 2021 season next month.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Wit said:

He’s much cheaper though 

Not really.  Wentz contract will count 25.4 million next year, 22 million in 2022, 25 and 26 in 23 and 24.  Darnold is cheaper next year.  If he sucks and is a carrier backup he will be much cheaper.  If he's decent and a team wants to sign him long term or we put the 5th year option on him and trade him he's going to be as or more expensive than Wentz.  

Sam is cheap next year at 9.8 million.  He's price goes up dramatically after that if he doesn't suck.  Wentz can be cut in 2022 with no dead cap hit.  It's all this year and at 25.4 million it's really not bad.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whether Sam fetches that or not, they're not on equal ground money-wise for a new team's trial run season. Darnold's contract makes him a good amount less of an investment risk just in terms of dollars. Plus while Wentz is more accomplished, Darnold is considered more of a blank slate, with teams surely figuring most of his problems stem from being drafted by and being stuck on the Jets. 

Also I don't know that this resets the market for Darnold because the Jets aren't desperate to get rid of him like the Eagles were with Wentz. 

Great point.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

That’s what I’ve heard the market was for both QBs. If Sam’s traded I don’t think it would be to Chicago though 

Kudos for calling it!

Not sure why some nerds on this site still question your insight.  I hope you can put them on ignore and stick around. 

• Upvote 3

Perhaps this will cool the unrealistic "Sam is worth a 1st and more" crowd.

He's not.  He's probably not even worth what the Colts paid (2021 3rd, 2022 Cond. 2nd).

I'd wager if Sam gets moved, it's on or just prior to Draft Day, and it's for a pair of mid-round pick (maybe a 2021 3rd and a 2022 4th, or similar).

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Colts are paying Wentz in 2021 for almost the same cap hit the payed Rivers last year.  He's contract was front loaded and is very good for the Colts if he can play at a high level again.  If not they cut him and lost a couple of picks.  Good deal for both teams.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. Philly won this trade.

They got rid of a huge salary, picked up a 2nd and 3rd for a guy - whether he's good or bad for them - simply can't stay healthy.

If he can't play he doesn't help you.

And dont have a QB

Hurts sucks

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably because they think they can get Darnold signed to a far more reasonable deal than Wentz received.  

Let’s say Darnold goes to San Fran, starts, and goes 3,200 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs and the Niners hit the playoffs, do they turn around and try to tell him that he’s only worth $18 mil per? I think if a team thinks Darnold is worth a first, they’ll also have to think he’ll be worth signing next offseason

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Whole situation is so weird. Didn't Pederson get fired for not playing Wentz and playing Hurts?

Would seem to hurt Darnold's trade value a bit, but maybe we can still get the late first.

Don't forget it really diminishes the trade value of a QB in Wentz's situation when you are coming off a bad year and have a huge contract. For the fact that Darnold's came off the same kind of bad year, but doesn't have the huge contract Wentz has teams likely would be willing to give up as much as you see in this Colts/Eagles trade and maybe even more. We can't only expect NFS teams, but teams for Darnold could still be 49ers, Panthers, Eagles, and Steelers. Though it must mainly be for upside with 49ers and Panthers possibly even Eagles that the current starters they have Garappalo(sp?), Bridgewater, and Hurts seem like Darnold may have more potential then them long term, but in the short term would be more of a wash. Steelers do not have that as if they move on from Ben their backups like Rudolph should be considered much less worthy to gamble as a starter than Darnold. If they offer their 1st rounder, or their 2nd and 3rd rounder maybe that would be worth it. Though we know how that team keeps being so good and Darnold likely would keep that mantra going and unless we get better then them it would aggravate us all. But, what are you gonna do?. We have our situation with Darnold where he/we burned through the ever so important 1st 3 rookie contract years where now we have somewhat run out of time and can't deal with what his contract could amount to, so we likely need to move on especially with the 2nd overall pick that can result with a QB that very well could have a higher upside over Darnold. Between Wilson, Fields, and Lance we see they very much minimized their INTs/mistakes in college and now that has to be evaluated to understand if you are doing that in college like Darnold was it is only going to be amplified in the NFL due to the better/faster defenses compared to college no matter what talent you have around you. Heck how many teams have WRs/TEs that have a lot of separation most plays over the DBs covering them? very few like the Chiefs, Packers, Bucs, etc. So you can't expect that to be something easily built/developed. QBs kind of have to throw their receivers open.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Let’s say Darnold goes to San Fran, starts, and goes 3,200 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs and the Niners hit the playoffs, do they turn around and try to tell him that he’s only worth $18 mil per? I think if a team thinks Darnold is worth a first, they’ll also have to think he’ll be worth signing next offseason

If its a 1st rounder, yes, I think SF or any team trading for him loses leverage.

Anything less than that, and no, I don't think that team would absolutely need to make a long-term financial commitment to him.  

• Upvote 2