WENTZ TRADED TO COLTS

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like the Goff deal, I don't think this has much bearing on any potential Darnold trade.  Wentz and Goff had the two worst contracts in the NFL, which factored huge into the compensation package.

what? did you watch Wentz play last year, peter pan? He was worse than Darnold and he has contract that makes my marriage look like a dream to get out of.  If anything this drives up Sam's price.

Teams out here trading almost MVP QB's, Super Bowl QB's, Pro Bowl QB's and we have Jets fans worried about trading the 32nd ranked QB in the NFL

Posted Images

Just now, Icer said:

Teams out here trading almost MVP QB's, Super Bowl QB's, Pro Bowl QB's and we have Jets fans worried about trading the 32nd ranked QB in the NFL

NY Jets drama we always win the off-season. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s say Darnold goes to San Fran, starts, and goes 3,200 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs and the Niners hit the playoffs, do they turn around and try to tell him that he’s only worth $18 mil per? I think if a team thinks Darnold is worth a first, they’ll also have to think he’ll be worth signing next offseason

No question.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s say Darnold goes to San Fran, starts, and goes 3,200 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs and the Niners hit the playoffs, do they turn around and try to tell him that he’s only worth $18 mil per? I think if a team thinks Darnold is worth a first, they’ll also have to think he’ll be worth signing next offseason

But you happily pay when the QB is playing well, getting you to the playoffs.  

What if Wentz in Indy is no different than the Wentz we saw a year ago in Philly, you have to pay him, dont have a choice.  If Darnold doesnt put SF into the playoffs, doesnt have the season you referenced, he doesnt get paid

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whether Sam fetches that or not, they're not on equal ground money-wise for a new team's trial run season. Darnold's contract makes him a good amount less of an investment risk just in terms of dollars. Plus while Wentz is more accomplished, Darnold is considered more of a blank slate, with teams surely figuring most of his problems stem from being drafted by and being stuck on the Jets. 

Also I don't know that this resets the market for Darnold because the Jets aren't desperate to get rid of him like the Eagles were with Wentz. 

This in and of itself is what is going to make sam more valuable. The jets get a hell of a lot of bad press and the blame surely falls at the feet of old googly eyes. Between the bad rep of the team, the excuses about weapons, gase being literally the worst coach in the nfl and sam gets a lot more rope.

Wentz had weapons and a superbowl winning coach who won the big game without him and a chitty contract. He is reportedly not a team first guy and sam def is.

I am not a sam fan but he will get a lot more excuse makers than wentz will. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Jet Nut said:

But you happily pay when the QB is playing well, getting you to the playoffs.  

What if Wentz in Indy is no different than the Wentz we saw a year ago in Philly, you have to pay him, dont have a choice.  If Darnold doesnt put SF into the playoffs, doesnt have the season you referenced, he doesnt get paid

But you’ve still burned a first rounder in the trade for him though

Actually...looking at the contract....it's not a terrible one for the Colts to take on.  If Wentz can stay healthy and put up decent numbers.

Cost to the Colts is:

$25.4 milllion 2021

$22.0 million 2022

$25.0 million 2023

$26.0 million 2024

2022 salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2022 league year.  Otherwise, no more guarantees going forward.

If Wentz stays healthy and gets even back to 2019 form (4,000 yds, 64% 27 TDs 7 Ints) Colts will be Super Bowl contenders and $25 per year will seem like a bargain.

It's a gamble because of injuries....but they can get out of the contract after next season without any cap hit.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Everything involving a Sam Darnold trade is pure speculation coming from anyone. 

My gut tells me Darnold is traded to Washington for the #19 pick and the NY Jets maybe trade them a 2-3 round pick in the deal. 

Marcus Mariota most likely going to end up being traded to the Redskins.  So It’s doubtful Sam “ I haven’t done anything in the league” Darnold is going there.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But then he would be worth it.

Wentz is as much a question mark as Sam is right now.  But you get a cheap year to watch Sam.

• Upvote 1

Two 2’s for Sam feels right.

Especially If one of them is a conditional first, based on playing time and playoffs.

And if the other one is really just 2nd round “value” in the shape of moving from 23 to say 12, I’m okay with that also. 

SF, I’m looking at you. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Marcus Mariota most likely going to end up being traded to the Redskins.  So It’s doubtful Sam “ I haven’t done anything in the league” Darnold is going there.

STOP IT 

You have no clue where he's going and why are you so interested in the NY Jets. 

Show me a link about Mariota going to Washington 

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Interesting. I thought they'd get more. If it works out it could be a great trade for the Colts.

Part of the value is getting rid of the salary.

It makes sense, Reich was his guy on the Eagles when he was playing well.

• Upvote 2

First time, short time....

I don’t get all the hate for this trade.  Wentz has a brutal contract and they basically got a 1st and a 3rd. That team is loaded and went 11-5 with Rivers and 7 teams make the playoffs. Barring Wentz injury it’s a near lock to be a 2023 first.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This in and of itself is what is going to make sam more valuable. The jets get a hell of a lot of bad press and the blame surely falls at the feet of old googly eyes. Between the bad rep of the team, the excuses about weapons, gase being literally the worst coach in the nfl and sam gets a lot more rope.

Wentz had weapons and a superbowl winning coach who won the big game without him and a chitty contract. He is reportedly not a team first guy and sam def is.

I am not a sam fan but he will get a lot more excuse makers than wentz will. 

Actually the point is Wentz did not have "weapons" last year, Darnold's overall weapons were visibly superior, and his OL was as bad or worse than the one blocking for Darnold for most of the season. Other than the mulligan anyone would get for a rookie season, 2020 is uncoincidentally the only season he's had such poor results. 

Darnold is more of a clean slate in that regard, but on the flip side he has no history of success in good surroundings; just failure in poor surroundings. Also in 2020 his failure season was noticeably worse than Wentz's failure season.

Ultimately I think (ok, hope) it'll come to eye of the beholder who sees Darnold as this great, untapped potential. At his best, Wentz's ceiling has probably been seen, that ceiling was more than acceptable. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Philadelphia has the 6th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft maybe they trade up with the NY Jets for the #2 if they want a QB in the draft. 

That has to be their objective, they can't be totally sold on Hurts who was a late #2 pick

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And dont have a QB

Hurts sucks

I agree.

The funny thing is the national media after about 3 games in which Hurts actually had some of the very worst stats in the league have fallen all over him and anointed him as the philly starter and will go ballistic if philly drafts a QB.

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Perhaps this will cool the unrealistic "Sam is worth a 1st and more" crowd.

He's not.  He's probably not even worth what the Colts paid (2021 3rd, 2022 Cond. 2nd).

I'd wager if Sam gets moved, it's on or just prior to Draft Day, and it's for a pair of mid-round pick (maybe a 2021 3rd and a 2022 4th, or similar).

This trade doesn't affect Darnold's situation at all.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

First time, short time....

I don’t get all the hate for this trade.  Wentz has a brutal contract and they basically got a 1st and a 3rd. That team is loaded and went 11-5 with Rivers and 7 teams make the playoffs. Barring Wentz injury it’s a near lock to be a 2023 first.  

Agreed, Philly did very well in my opinion. Genuinely confused with the people who are making it seem as though Philly didn't get enough. That 2nd is almost assuredly going to become a 1st barring significant injury

• Like 1

Reich knows what Wenz is.  The Colts actually could make a real value analysis.  The draft picks are also worth a lot less to the Colts than to any random team that trades for Sam.  Sam is a complete unknown who has already absorbed most of his rookie deal.  Wentz is an absolutely known quantity to the Colts.    He's locked up for several years and can be cut after the 2021 season without a cap hit. The Colts are in win now mode.  Picks are likely going to be late in the round and have less opportunity to make a dramatic impact for them.  

I think this lowers Sam's value since it takes one team out of the mix.  

• Upvote 3
40 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

You have to have a team to want him...so who wants him? Whos left?

Chicago, CAR, PHI?, NOS depending on if they want a plan B, WSH....

less likely in the AFC - PIT, HOU lulz. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Philadelphia has the 6th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft maybe they trade up with the NY Jets for the #2 if they want a QB in the draft. 

As I've said many a time that 'meaningless' last game in which the coach was lambasted and eviscerated for not trying hard enough to win means they pick 6 instead of 10.

Thus getting a much cheaper trade up or even the ability to sit where they are and get a QB.

• Upvote 1

Reich knows Wentz well from his time with the Eagles so you assume they know what they’re doing. I agree about Hurts when they took him out of that game which led to the HC getting fired he wasn’t playing well under 100 yards passing. As for how does this affect us. It sets the price for a QB with more accomplishments than Darnold. So if we traded him we would not prob get that kind of return. 

45 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Per Connor Hughes

Talked to a few league sources on if the Carson Wentz trade impacts Sam Darnold market. Consensus a resounding “no.” 

Remember: Colts had to take on Wentz contract & option. That drives price down. 

You don’t need to pay Darnold. 

Starting point with SD a 2, most believe

Not in 2021 but would need to decide on 5th year option (+ 25 million) for 2022 and then decide beyond that.

A team isn't going offer much for a 1 year rental.

Wentz trade doesn't definitely mean Darnold's going.  If anything now there
are at least three teams in the top 10 who will be looking for QB's:

#4 ATL
#6 PHI
#8 CAR

That would make for a very interesting bidding war

• Upvote 1

Jets should definitely should be able to get a conditional first next year included in their package as well. If you say Wentz is more proven okay make it performance based but the possibility of becoming a first should definitely be included if Joe as any sense. There will also be more suitors for Darnold. Steelers, 49ers, Bears, and Washington bidding for him will increase the trade value.

42 minutes ago, undertow said:

Same people who told me you couldn't get a 4th or 5th for Darnold a month ago are now telling me they wouldn't take a 2nd and a 3rd. lol

Strawman.

Everyone, including me who said we weren't getting a third for Sammy, would take a 2nd immediately for him.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, section314 said:

@football guy posted in a thread earlier today that his latest info on Sam was basically the same type of structure in a potential trade. Just sayin......😎

It wouldn't surprise me if both Wentz and Darnold were in play here.  The more desperate team (take a glance at Wentz's contract)  was willing to take the meager 2 rupees to unload their 1st round QB bust.