WENTZ TRADED TO COLTS

JetsFanatic

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

As for how does this affect us.

It gives the QB-deficient Eagles more draft ammo to move up from 6 to 2!

1. QB, JAX

2. QB, PHI *trade with NYJ*

3. QB, CAR *trade with MIA*

4. OT/WR/CB, ATL (first crack at the draft best non-QB draftee)

5. OT/WR/TE, CIN 

6. Do we take QB4 and trade Sam?
Trey Lance, sit him behind a vet for a year?

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty confident that the Darnold market will look something like: 

2021 2nd round pick

2022 conditional pick based on Darnold resigning that could range from a 2 through a 4

I'd be good with that. Maybe its a third rounder this year and the conditional is next year that could be a 1 if they make the playoffs and he resigns or something. I don't think we're getting a 1 but if a team has to give one up for making the playoffs and signing Darnold long term it probably makes sense for them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It wouldn't surprise me if both Wentz and Darnold were in play here.  The more desperate team (take a glance at Wentz's contract)  was willing to take the meager 2 rupees to unload their 1st round QB bust.

Agreed. Sam played maybe his worst game as a pro last year vs the Colts. Wonder if that had any impact?

• Upvote 1

I love the conditional part.  It's kinda like an NBA lottery-protected deal.

If sh*t goes bad in Indy like it did in Houston, say 4-7 after 11 games, Indy can sit Wentz and protect a possible top ten pick.

If Houston had made this deal with Tunsil, they'd still have the 3rd overall.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s say Darnold goes to San Fran, starts, and goes 3,200 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs and the Niners hit the playoffs, do they turn around and try to tell him that he’s only worth $18 mil per? I think if a team thinks Darnold is worth a first, they’ll also have to think he’ll be worth signing next offseason

I do think that's where we can see the conditional.  Something similar to Wentz like ...

3rd this year and a conditional 2nd -  If he's on the roster in the 2022 it goes to a 1st.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

Wentz trade doesn't definitely mean Darnold's going.  If anything now there
are at least three teams in the top 10 who will be looking for QB's:

#4 ATL
#6 PHI
#8 CAR

That would make for a very interesting bidding war

I would think the only way any of those want to trade up is if Darnold Is traded before the draft...meaning the Jet's would be picking a QB at #2.

Don't see ATL going QB this year...possibly next though.

I think PHI will stick with Hurts this year.

CAR will sit back and pick who's left.

I also don't think Darnold will be traded...just a gut feeling. 

• Upvote 1

Teams with cap space are going the NBA route this year and taking advantage of teams that need to dump bloated contracts. I wish the Jets would get in on some of this considering they are paying literally nobody. Offer to take Marcellus off Houston's hands if they give us a second rounder or something. Cap space is an asset to exploit.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I'm just saying the Wentz deal, should, hopefully, open JD's eyes and get the best  he can for Darnold.  

I think JD knows more than any of us if that was not proven in the Adams trade.  Lets be clear that contract dropped the return for wentz hugely.  Darnold is cheap and much less of a risk.  That said wentz is going to his old coach who knows him and should be able to fix him and motivate him.  If he goes back to his rookie year form colts get a steal.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Who was the talking head(s) saying the Eagles were going to get back a Stafford level return? Nice to know which reporters are basically just mouthpieces for teams/players looking to pump up returns. Good on the Colts for standing firm and not bidding against themselves.

The worst part about the reporters is the news cycle allows them to spill absolute nonsense and never get called out for it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually the point is Wentz did not have "weapons" last year, Darnold's overall weapons were visibly superior, and his OL was as bad or worse than the one blocking for Darnold for most of the season. Other than the mulligan anyone would get for a rookie season, 2020 is uncoincidentally the only season he's had such poor results. 

Darnold is more of a clean slate in that regard, but on the flip side he has no history of success in good surroundings; just failure in poor surroundings. Also in 2020 his failure season was noticeably worse than Wentz's failure season.

Ultimately I think (ok, hope) it'll come to eye of the beholder who sees Darnold as this great, untapped potential. At his best, Wentz's ceiling has probably been seen, that ceiling was more than acceptable. 

While I dont necessarily disagree with much of what you said there is no-one that says Wentz failure is the fault of the Eagles

The overwhelming majority of reports and pundits at least partly blame it on the team.  The team is supposedly a contributing factor in his failure while with Wentz players or not he doesn't have the litany of organizational fauz pas on top of coaching  AND lack of weapons. 

32 minutes ago, undertow said:

Sam was worth a 2nd possibly late 1st three months ago........Sam is worth a 2nd possibly late 1st now.

Take it!

Only offer I've seen, was leaked here as a 2nd and a 5th, and that bidder is gone now.

Wentz is worth way more than Sam.

Wentz has a better chance of regaining, than Sam has of ascending.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I agree with others here that say they don't think Sam will be traded.  Which teams are left that will think Sam's an upgrade over who they already have?  Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers, Chicago Bears and San Francisco 49ers are the teams remaining with question marks at QB.  Bridgewater is better than Sam.  Their owner wants someone better than Bridgewater.  Drew Lock had a better season than Darnold but still hasn't played a full season yet.  Big Ben is still a better option and will probably stay if he's willing to rework his salary.   Jimmy G is better than Darnold imo.  The Bears are the most desperate in the group unless they want to roll with Foles. They're the only ones left.  They could trade for Darnold or re-sign Trubisky who also played better than Sam.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the NFL has turned this into such an offense focused league - making the QB far too impactful...That you need a top 10, more likely top 5 to have any real chance at winning a SB (sure, it can happen but it's far out of the norm)

Teams just aren't sticking with their mediocre QB's anymore - you can't win with them.  They bring in a guy - if he's not showing he can be a top 5 guy they move on.

This is happening because the NFL decided points are why people watch games, especially in the regular. 

The AFL knew that in 1960..

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I agree with others here that say they don't think Sam will be traded.  Which teams are left that will think Sam's an upgrade over who they already have?  Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers, Chicago Bears and San Francisco 49ers are the teams remaining with question marks at QB.  Bridgewater is better than Sam.  Their owner wants someone better than Bridgewater.  Drew Lock had a better season than Darnold but still hasn't played a full season yet.  Big Ben is still a better option and will probably stay if he's willing to rework his salary.   Jimmy G is better than Darnold imo.  The Bears are the most desperate in the group unless they want to roll with Foles. They're the only ones left.  They could trade for Darnold or re-sign Trubisky who also played better than Sam.

One of those teams would be just kicking the tires on Darnit and all of those teams mentioned are trying to bring in competition for questionable starters. In Pitts case Ben is old, expensive and Darnold would be a good option to complete with Haskins and Mason. 

All those teams you named are still in play imo 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Wentz trade doesn't definitely mean Darnold's going.  If anything now there
are at least three teams in the top 10 who will be looking for QB's:

#4 ATL
#6 PHI
#8 CAR

That would make for a very interesting bidding war

Still prefer to just take Wilson and move on. If we want Wilson or Fields no guarantee we even get either just going to 4

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

While I dont necessarily disagree with much of what you said there is no-one that says Wentz failure is the fault of the Eagles

The overwhelming majority of reports and pundits at least partly blame it on the team.  The team is supposedly a contributing factor in his failure while with Wentz players or not he doesn't have the litany of organizational fauz pas on top of coaching  AND lack of weapons. 

We'll see what Darnold returns. As much as I'm hoping that's the case I'd say decidedly beating that trade - i.e. a 2nd this year, plus a conditional 2nd that could become a 1st next year, seems optimistic. 

My reflexive guess is any 1st rounder that Douglas gets for Darnold - if he can get one at all - involves next year's pick, not this year's. But it's just a guess; I don't know what these teams have shown interest in offering thus far, so I don't know how far away a 2021 1st rounder is. 

I hope much doesn't ride on a conditional future. It's too easy to walk away from Darnold after 1 year & cheap money, rather than his new team getting in any deeper, if he doesn't turn into what they hope. 

• Upvote 1