WENTZ TRADED TO COLTS

JetsFanatic

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Per Schefter

Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

Great deal for the colts !..  ?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wentz's massive contract is what lowered his value.  Even with the relatively low trade compensation headed Philly's way, and even if Wentz plays well in 2021, this was a bad trade for the Colts.  

Yet this is what the Jets should be emulating.  OK.....

If Wentz plays well and stays healthy it’s a good trade for the Colts. Thanks to the bonuses already paid by the Eagles they just have to pay him about 22 mill a year - relatively cheap for a starting QB- for the next two years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Who knows anymore? Just wanted to give a shout out to you and @Mogglez. You guys just don't post for the hell of it, you both get some good stuff from your sources.

Chicago’s ownership will not allow the team to mortgage elite future compensation in any deals this administration makes. Feels to me they’ll be forced to take the 2018 Cardinals method. Use this year’s draft capital to move up a few spots for a QB (if they even have to) and pair with a vet. If it works out great, if not a blow up looms. Only way I can see a trade for Sam (not convinced) is this year’s 2nd & 3rd. I’m not sold on the notion the Jets would take a 2 and 4

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Colts killed this deal.

They're only paying Wentz what they paid Rivers last year.

If Wentz sucks, they cut him and only pay a low 3rd and a probably mid second.  That first is protected as they can bench Wentz after 10 games.

If Wentz regains his form, its a 3rd and a low 1st.  Well worth it and Wentz is signed for a reasonable mid 20's in the future.

Colts killed this deal.

Agreed.  Getting three 2's for moving to 6 from 3 wasn't so bad either.  Some front offices get it right more often than wrong.  And others are the jets.

• Upvote 1

This deal and the Goff trade show just how valuable a commodity cap space is in this market. The Lions got so much for Stafford because they took back Goff's contract. Meanwhile, Wentz goes for what would seem to be under market value because of his contract.

In this market, cap space rules. And the Jets have a lot of it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Like the Goff deal, I don't think this has much bearing on any potential Darnold trade.  Wentz and Goff had the two worst contracts in the NFL, which factored huge into the compensation package.

and Darnold is 1 year away from either getting one of those contracts or joining Johnny Manziel

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Per Schefter

Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

Wow so that means Darnold’s value just fell through the floor. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

40 minutes ago, football guy said:

Chicago’s ownership will not allow the team to mortgage elite future compensation in any deals this administration makes. Feels to me they’ll be forced to take the 2018 Cardinals method. Use this year’s draft capital to move up a few spots for a QB (if they even have to) and pair with a vet. If it works out great, if not a blow up looms. Only way I can see a trade for Sam (not convinced) is this year’s 2nd & 3rd. I’m not sold on the notion the Jets would take a 2 and 4

They offered more then the Colts for Wentz but he didn't want to go there so they backed off.

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Colts killed this deal.

They're only paying Wentz what they paid Rivers last year.

If Wentz sucks, they cut him and only pay a low 3rd and a probably mid second.  That first is protected as they can bench Wentz after 10 games.

If Wentz regains his form, its a 3rd and a low 1st.  Well worth it and Wentz is signed for a reasonable mid 20's in the future.

Colts killed this deal.

Fair enough.  I thought the finances would be much worse for Indy than you describe here.  

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Umm no. He still has his 4th year, 5th year option and a franchise tag. Averaged that is way less than Wentz

The 5th year option would need to be offered in May of this year, and I believe it would be fully guaranteed for injury.  Giving him that 5th year option, which would be at least $25M, and given how oft-injured he is, would be self-sabotage.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

And you’re assuming JD is going to agree to a garbage return.  I don’t think he will 

I agree Sam costs almost nothing if you keep him!

You can still draft a QB...  the key is by keeping Sam you don't have to START a rookie QB before they are READY!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, football guy said:

That 2018 Cardinals method looks eerily like the 2017 Bears method. Just saying.

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

One of those teams would be just kicking the tires on Darnit and all of those teams mentioned are trying to bring in competition for questionable starters. In Pitts case Ben is old, expensive and Darnold would be a good option to complete with Haskins and Mason. 

All those teams you named are still in play imo 

I get they want to see what he's got potentially but at what cost?  Are they willing to part with a 1st?  2nd?  3rd just to have him for one year?  Seems too expensive.  Might be better to just draft a QB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

It was reported that the panthers offered a 2 & 4 for Sam. Is that true, to your knowledge?

Alternatives for other teams looking for QB.

Marriota or Carr and Jimmy G are probably next.  Brissett is available after the Wentz deal with no draft compensation.  That's 3 guys IMO better than Sam.  

Trubisky is equal to Sam and doesn't cost draft picks.

It only takes one Sam-lover to get a good deal though.  Not sure who is interested, it could be multiple teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.  

Disagree completely. Wentz at this moment is at a competent QB at most,  who has a top 10 salary in the league. 

Can't really get on board with this being a steal, I would be pretty disappointed was I a Colts fan. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That 2018 Cardinals method looks eerily like the 2017 Bears method. Just saying.

It's all they got. They're not allowed to trade future draft capital without ownership approval. Unless it's Deshaun Watson, they're going to say no. The GM and HC know their jobs are on the line. They can either go get a vet in FA, trade for a player who won't cost as much, or draft a QB like Lance/Fields/Jones and *hope* he turns out to be the goods. If he's not and the Bears underperform, then the team will blow everything up and let the new administration evaluate the QB. That's what I mean by the Arizona method... not that they're literally looking at their approach as one to replicate

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Thanks for that tidbit.  That stinks.

Chicago ownership should have launched Ryan Pace a couple years ago.   He'll ever regain the fans after the Trubisky-Mahomes f-up.