WENTZ TRADED TO COLTS

JetsFanatic

9 minutes ago, dcJet said:

The reports now are that Chicago never even made an offer for Wentz.  Earlier, it was reported Wentz to Chicago was a done deal.

You can't believe anything these days... except for our insiders.

Chicago toyed with trading for him. I think any reports that they backed out are merely to save face. Ultimately they were not given permission to mortgage future draft capital in a trade for Wentz

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

It's all they got. They're not allowed to trade future draft capital without ownership approval. Unless it's Deshaun Watson, they're going to say no. The GM and HC know their jobs are on the line. They can either go get a vet in FA, trade for a player who won't cost as much, or draft a QB like Lance/Fields/Jones and *hope* he turns out to be the goods. If he's not and the Bears underperform, then the team will blow everything up and let the new administration evaluate the QB. That's what I mean by the Arizona method... not that they're literally looking at their approach as one to replicate

All I was pointing out is that "following the 2018 Cardinals method" is the same method that got them where they are today.

2018 Cardinals method = 2017 Bears method

Bad choices trumps good methodology. Just ask John Idzik. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

so whats DW worth now? Huge contract and never reached wentz's level....pretty much a sb winner

DW got 4 wins last year.

Whats he worth now???

Watson's still worth a lot.  I would even throw in 80's left testicle for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KRL said:

Wentz trade doesn't definitely mean Darnold's going.  If anything now there
are at least three teams in the top 10 who will be looking for QB's:

#4 ATL
#6 PHI
#8 CAR

That would make for a very interesting bidding war

Let's see.... trade our 2, for 6 and two future first rounders.

Then trade back up to 3, for a 2nd and 4th, and take Fields. 

I'll go to JD's house and wash his underwear for a year.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

And you’re assuming JD is going to agree to a garbage return.  I don’t think he will 

he might not have a choice. 

another team is off the QB list. and if JD is moving on from Sam and drafting a QB at 2, then he has to trade him this year or he gets nothing next year. so a 3rd and a conditional 1st is better than nothing. for all we know they could have made this offer for Sam and JD said no. ok screw you JD we will get a QB somewhere else. 

everybody should get ready for a trade like this. i always said Sam would get a 3rd and a conditional pick. if Sam is as good as people think and just needs a new coach and weapons then trade him to Chicago or SF who have more weapons than the Jets. im sure they would gladly give us a #1 next year if Sam can prove hes a good QB. 

nobody's giving us a 1 or a 2 straight up for Sam. hes going to have to prove it just like Wentz

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Marcus Mariota most likely going to end up being traded to the Redskins.  So It’s doubtful Sam “ I haven’t done anything in the league” Darnold is going there.

I wouldn't say that Sam "hasn't done anything in the league".  The 34-3 demolishing of the Raiders that he led 2 seasons ago started a 1-5 streak that pretty much destroyed your 2019 season.

• Haha 1

Cimini was on MKS last night, I know LOL Cimini. However, he had some interesting nuggets. 

1) He says he spoke with a guy at a team that has expressed interest in trading for Darnold, and he thought Darnold would get more than what Wentz got b/c of the contract situation and some of the baggage with Wentz. 

2) He has spoken to multiple teams around the league who have a high regard for Sam. Basing it on his college performance and how bad the Jets have been and how they screwed him up. 

3) The person mentioned in point 1 said the sense that person gets is that the Jets are going to keep Darnold. 

4) Jets will probably go through all the pro days and due dilligence on the QB prospects before making any decision on Sam. 

A lot of this info lines up with what we've been hearing from @Mogglez and @football guy - however since Cimini's source (and say what you want about Cimini but he doesn't seem like a MM who would make up sources) is from another team and verifying it I thought it was worth posting. 

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This might not be too far off. The one thing Darnold has going for him is that he’s financially cheap. With how this off-season is shaking out that is huge bargaining chip for the Jets. 

Based on actual performance he's grossly over paid.  

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Cimini was on MKS last night, I know LOL Cimini. However, he had some interesting nuggets. 

1) He says he spoke with a guy at a team that has expressed interest in trading for Darnold, and he thought Darnold would get more than what Wentz got b/c of the contract situation and some of the baggage with Wentz. 

2) He has spoken to multiple teams around the league who have a high regard for Sam. Basing it on his college performance and how bad the Jets have been and how they screwed him up. 

3) The person mentioned in point 1 said the sense that person gets is that the Jets are going to keep Darnold. 

4) Jets will probably go through all the pro days and due dilligence on the QB prospects before making any decision on Sam. 

A lot of this info lines up with what we've been hearing from @Mogglez and @football guy - however since Cimini's source (and say what you want about Cimini but he doesn't seem like a MM who would make up sources) is from another team and verifying it I thought it was worth posting. 

To add to this (which I mentioned a few weeks ago), I think Mariota will get traded and teams will fill some of their QB voids via free agency before the Jets make a decision one way or another. Joe will get criticized for it, but he's not going to let market perception dictate his process. I have a hard time believing they would trade Darnold prior to BYU's pro day, which is scheduled for March 26. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, football guy said:

To add to this (which I mentioned a few weeks ago), I think Mariota will get traded and teams will fill some of their QB voids via free agency before the Jets make a decision one way or another. Joe will get criticized for it, but he's not going to let market perception dictate his process. I have a hard time believing they would trade Darnold prior to BYU's pro day, which is scheduled for March 26. 

Mariota sucks. If any team trades for him it will be a late rd pick so he can ride pine 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, docdhc said:

If Wentz plays well and stays healthy it’s a good trade for the Colts. Thanks to the bonuses already paid by the Eagles they just have to pay him about 22 mill a year - relatively cheap for a starting QB- for the next two years. 

Wentz will be good for the colts.  They have a great O-line and excellent running game.  Frank Reich knows what he’s doing

kinda wierd how QBs prosper in certain situations eh?

• Upvote 2

I find very interesting the posts that claim that a trade between teams A&B somehow influences negotiations between teams C&D. Try to imagine what this scenario looks like. Let’s say as an example that the Jets and Bears have been negotiating for a Sam trade and have an imaginary look behind the scenes:

Jets/Bears are negotiating some deal when the Goff trade happens. Do the Bears suddenly offer more and the Jets suddenly demand more? Then Wentz goes and the Bears suddenly offer less and we correspondingly ask for less, damning ourselves for not taking the prior deal. Sound reasonable? Not to me.

As fans we try to speculate about negotiations that we are not even sure are happening. OUR calibration on player value DOES swing every time we see a trade. I certainly hope our GM actually has HIS OWN opinion of value rather than has his opinion handed to him via the trades executed by other teams.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, football guy said:

Sounds like the Jets should trade for Marriotta

3 reasons

Competition for Darnold of he is retained

Place holder or veteran back up for rookie of drafted

Keep him off a while needy team, in case they do trade Darnold its 1 more team in the mix 

On 2/19/2021 at 12:23 AM, MykePM said:

I wouldn't say that Sam "hasn't done anything in the league".  The 34-3 demolishing of the Raiders that he led 2 seasons ago started a 1-5 streak that pretty much destroyed your 2019 season.

Want me to find the thread where Jet fans guessed the number Sam Darnold would put up in his third year in the league.   Let’s just say a lot of Jet fans have a lot egg on there faces making those silly projections.    
Every team in the AFC East praying that the  Jets keep Sam Darnold.    Make all the excuses you like , but he has been one of the worst starting Qb in the league.( facts hurt sometimes)