Tony Pauline:Fields falling down draft boards. No NFL team has Wilson higher than Lawrence.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No surprise...after TL there is no QB worth a top 10 pick.  

These guys don’t know sh*t.

Pretty sure no one knows the exact draft board of every NFL team. 

Posted Images

I like Lance as that Flacco, Kaepernick, Allen QB that has enough physical tools that you can scheme him to success.  Then if he becomes a QB, it is gravy.  Guy like him has to test well though.  I also think the QB camp guys have much more say on his status. 

Seems like you could do the same with Fields, worst case. 

27 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Wilson can adapt to NFL rush better than Fields IMO

How so ?  Fields is the better athlete, has proven he can take a hit and has shown he can run effectively when needed to pick up yardage .

What trait does Wilson have that makes him better against an "NFL" rush because lord knows he barely saw one while at BYU. 

• Upvote 3
32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How so ?  Fields is the better athlete, has proven he can take a hit and has shown he can run effectively when needed to pick up yardage .

What trait does Wilson have that makes him better against an "NFL" rush because lord knows he barely saw one while at BYU. 

Better internal clock and sense of rush coming from blind areas.  Wilson has good short area quickness too and can scramble.  He's got some Kyler Murray to his game.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He was injured in High School - had elective surgery after his freshman year.....didn't miss a practice due to it, let alone a game.

As a three year starter he missed a total of THREE games due to a thumb injury.

first he had surgery because he could barely lift his arm on mondays after games......so calling it elective is misleading. anyway, you are welcome to want him but i am 100% against the qb with the 2 shoulder surgeries who is built like kate moss and whose competition was sh*t

• Confused 1
49 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

seriously.....the kid played against a bunch of sh*t teams

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yeah sure dude, "slow processor" has to do with what happens on the field, right?  Despite all the film that shows how absolutely moronic of a take that is?  Despite the fact he has an Ivy league brain, it's his slow processing that comes out on tape when you watch him drop 6 TD passes in a playoff game vs. the daunted Clemson Tigers.  He slowly processed his way to making Trevor Lawrence look like a whiny little mopey bitch who looked like half the prospect compared to Fields? 

lol - dude, come' on.  Wilson is being argued as the QB 1, yet in comparison to both TL and Fields....he's much smaller, 100x worse athlete, he has 1 year of good tape, 2 years of miserable tape, he's injury prone and he played nobodies on an Independent team where they were 10x better then anyone they played.  

But yes, Wilson is being attacked for off the field stuff as he shoots up the draft board and Fields is being judge for what he did on the field as he drops down the draft board.

okie dokie

It’s as if people think that 2020 is the only year of tape that exists for Wilson.  Look at what he did in 2019 when playing against a much harder schedule.   BYU played Utah, USC, Tennessee, Washington, and San Diego State in 2019.  He played in 9 games and had 11 TDS  9 INTS.   If you take away the 4 TDS he threw against the vaunted UMass defense he was 7 TDs  and 9 INTs.    The tape is far less kind to Wilson in 2019.   

• Upvote 4
It’s as if people think that 2020 is the only year of tape that exists for Wilson.  Look at what he did in 2019 when playing against a much harder schedule.   BYU played Utah, USC, Tennessee, Washington, and San Diego State in 2019.  He played in 9 games and had 11 TDS  9 INTS.   If you take away the 4 TDS he threw against the vaunted UMass defense he was 7 TDs  and 9 INTs.    The tape is far less kind to Wilson in 2019.   

This is his only full game footage from 2019 I could find and it’s against Washington. This doesn’t scream Mahomes to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

This is his only full game footage from 2019 I could find and it’s against Washington. This doesn’t scream Mahomes to me.

Doesn’t look like he’s “processing” very fast in that game..Lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Jets Things said:

No, I get that. You had them in draft order (Eli before Rivers, Trubisky before Watson) until you got to Darnold and Baker and the lack of continuity bothered me. 

Ah, it wasn’t intentional. 

6 hours ago, King P said:

Mogglez said this, but that was a while ago and I'm sure things may have changed. He said he believed Wilson would impress teams in interviews.

Edit: found it 

Thanks for clearing this up lol.  Stuck at work.  Much has, obviously, changed with hiring of Saleh and his staff.  Still way to early to put a stamp on anything, but I like Wilson’s chances more than I did in December, if they even draft a QB at 2.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Doesn’t look like he’s “processing” very fast in that game..Lol. 

Imagine if a 19 year old QB got better 2 years removed from surgery. Imagine. Also you could check the USC AND Tennessee games that BYU won that year to see his talent forming. Or refer to the time he was an 18 year old playing at BYU who threw 12 TDs and 3 picks. He developed and got better, it happens. 

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Figures. Fields is the one non-Watson option I would have been interested in 

You mean you are in agreement with @JiF. Is there a full moon out? Jif will now probably switch his QB choice to Wilson.

full_moon_jpg-2.jpg

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah sure dude, "slow processor" has to do with what happens on the field, right?  Despite all the film that shows how absolutely moronic of a take that is?  Despite the fact he has an Ivy league brain, it's his slow processing that comes out on tape when you watch him drop 6 TD passes in a playoff game vs. the daunted Clemson Tigers.  He slowly processed his way to making Trevor Lawrence look like a whiny little mopey bitch who looked like half the prospect compared to Fields? 

lol - dude, come' on.  Wilson is being argued as the QB 1, yet in comparison to both TL and Fields....he's much smaller, 100x worse athlete, he has 1 year of good tape, 2 years of miserable tape, he's injury prone and he played nobodies on an Independent team where they were 10x better then anyone they played.  

But yes, Wilson is being attacked for off the field stuff as he shoots up the draft board and Fields is being judge for what he did on the field as he drops down the draft board.

okie dokie

This really is a stupid argument, one which I'm not going to have anymore.

You're so self righteous in your opinion, that your opinion is so absolutely correct, that you write a nasty reply to me like that - like  I'm some how outside of the norm.

You may or may not believe the majority of experts, that certainly your right, but please don't speak to me like my assessment is somehow absurd.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Stop...Every game is on YouTube.  I've seen them all.  You pull up the 4th game from his Sophomore year.  

I'll give you the Bowl Game - Every throw he made.  

Lets play a game called guess the prospect:

PFF scouting report:

What he does best:

Smooth, efficient delivery.

Throws a very catchable ball.

Displays a complete inventory of passes with zip, firm with touch. Changes the pace of the ball well when needed.

Extremely athletic with the ability to escape when things break down. Good initial burst. True timing/rhythm passer, heavily reliant on pre-snap reads.

Throws cover-3 and cover-2 seams very well.

Best “glance” route thrower in the class.

Anticipates well on timing routes outside the numbers.

Flashes good go-ball touch. Good feel for back-shoulder throws to big-bodied receivers.

Delivers in big moments. Confident player.

Biggest concerns:

Limited instincts/feel in the pocket.

Does not react smoothly when initial read is not there.

Lacks consistent pocket poise, drops eyes down for a running lane instead of creating within the pocket.

Played in an offense where the field was cut in half with simple reads.

Field looks small to him; limited vision to get through progressions.

Relatively slow post-snap processing speed.

More interested in taking a yes/no go-ball on the outside than reading out the concept of the play.

Overall not as accurate as he should be considering his style of play. Inaccurate on many easy throws in the short passing game.

Played with elite playmakers around him, will have to learn how to function without big-play receivers on the outside.

^^
Who is this player? Deshaun Watson. What’s funny about this is, this reads exactly like a Justin Fields scouting report  

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-deshaun-watson-qb-clemson

We have to get this kid he’s going to be special

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop...Every game is on YouTube.  I've seen them all.  You pull up the 4th game from his Sophomore year.  

I'll give you the Bowl Game - Every throw he made.  

Ok, find me another Zach Wilson vs. another Big 5 school

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

He’s Sam Darnold if Darnold were more willing to run with the ball. Darnold has some Rodgers/Mahomes magic as well. I can’t get behind drafting a similar guy to what we have.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

He’s Sam Darnold if Darnold were more willing to run with the ball. Darnold has some Rodgers/Mahomes magic as well. I can’t get behind drafting a similar guy to what we have.

And Darnold was about 20 lbs lighter

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Imagine if a 19 year old QB got better 2 years removed from surgery. Imagine. Also you could check the USC AND Tennessee games that BYU won that year to see his talent forming. Or refer to the time he was an 18 year old playing at BYU who threw 12 TDs and 3 picks. He developed and got better, it happens. 

I’m not sure what your point is?  These guys are all the same age.  My point was that against a tougher schedule he didn’t look as good.   The schedule BYU played this year was comical.   

22 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Not sure why we’re so concerned how athletic a QB is. 

Having an athletic QB opens up the offense. It adds another dimension defenses have to account for. It shouldn’t be the main thing you want. But it’s definitely a bonus.

For example, teams have keep spies etc when playing against a Josh Allen or a Lamar Jackson. It makes life easier for a QB when defenses have to keep looking in the backfield.

30 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Darnold has some Rodgers/Mahomes magic as well.

Yeah, Darnold must be using magic spells. That’s the only way I can explain how so many people watch him play and see a great QB in the making. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Yeah, Darnold must be using magic spells. That’s the only way I can explain how so many people watch him play and see a great QB in the making. 

Every now and then he makes these wow plays. This was the case in college and in the pros. Wilson is the same way.

I don’t want to keep Darnold. I prefer to draft Fields. I just don’t see the point of drafting the same guy you’re giving up on. Wilson and Darnold have the same QB traits. Even down to both of them playing hero ball.

32 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m not sure what your point is?  These guys are all the same age.  My point was that against a tougher schedule he didn’t look as good.   The schedule BYU played this year was comical.   

My point is that holistically Wilson was impressive from the jump. His resume also includes wins against teams with higher talent levels than his own. How do OSU or Clemson’s talent levels match up against their competition?

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Man... Wilson's got a nice release.  Like Jimmy G. smooth and I see some quick release angles and accurate throws on the run in there.

Nice jump from the 2019 tape to the 2020 tape.  I see that as a plus, not a minus.

I'll be more happy with Fields because athlete, competition, durability, toughness, but I can see why scouts love this Wilson.

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Every now and then he makes these wow plays. This was the case in college and in the pros. Wilson is the same way.

I don’t want to keep Darnold. I prefer to draft Fields. I just don’t see the point of drafting the same guy you’re giving up on. Wilson and Darnold have the same QB traits. Even down to both of them playing hero ball.

Yeah, except in between the "now and then" flashy play, Darnold is horrible, while Wilson is good. How you can say they're similar is a mystery to me.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

My point is that holistically Wilson was impressive from the jump. His resume also includes wins against teams with higher talent levels than his own. How do OSU or Clemson’s talent levels match up against their competition?

He’s played 30 games in college and only 5 were against power 5 teams.  Who has he beaten exactly?  So the one season(2019) that he plays 4 power 5 teams he has his worst season in college, but we can’t criticize that year because he was “holistically” impressive from the jump?  Of course he showed improvement in 2020, he played nobody.   

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Thanks for clearing this up lol.  Stuck at work.  Much has, obviously, changed with hiring of Saleh and his staff.  Still way to early to put a stamp on anything, but I like Wilson’s chances more than I did in December, if they even draft a QB at 2.

Is it fair to say that based on tape alone, JD has Fields over Wilson? Obviously it doesn’t mean he’ll pick Fields over Wilson since interviews and coaches feedback matter. But if you’re saying JD had Fields over Wilson back in December and he was done watching tape at that point, then based on tape alone Fields > Wilson in JD’s opinion.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Is it fair to say that based on tape alone, JD has Fields over Wilson? Obviously it doesn’t mean he’ll pick Fields over Wilson since interviews and coaches feedback matter. But if you’re saying JD had Fields over Wilson back in December and he was done watching tape at that point, then based on tape alone Fields > Wilson in JD’s opinion.

I’d say that the film is close on what they can both do at the next level, but what gives Wilson that extra “oomph” today, compared to December, is the influence from Saleh and, more importantly, LaFleur.  I’ve heard some rumblings that SF is very high on Wilson and, putting the 2 together, I’d assume LaFleur and Saleh know a little bit about him from their time there.  There is also, as I’ve said here a few times but it bears repeating, the word that I keep getting about Zach, which is that he’s going to blow people away on the whiteboard, something that is weighed heavily in the pre-draft process, especially with the limited access scouts have had this year.

• Upvote 2