3 Reasons the Jets Must Keep Darnold

STLuLu

Do we want a QB that can barely take us to the playoffs at his best or one that can go all the way?  There's a reason why teams traded away their decent QB's recently.  They know you need to be better at that position to get them to the next level.  I don't think there will be any takers for Darnold so that will be an interesting decision at 2.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Do we want a QB that can barely take us to the playoffs at his best or one that can go all the way?  There's a reason why teams traded away their decent QB's recently.  They know you need to be better at that position to get them to the next level.  I don't think there will be any takers for Darnold so that will be an interesting decision at 2.

And yet his first point is COMPLETELY on point:

Do you believe Zach Wilson is Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes good to actually carry this team while they build more talent?  OR....is it better to build a team first, then put a rookie in place to help them?  There are very few QB's that come out anymore who are ready to carry a team.  VERY VERY few.  Maybe its time teams actually build good teams first, then put the QB in place.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And yet his first point is COMPLETELY on point:

Do you believe Zach Wilson is Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes good to actually carry this team while they build more talent?  OR....is it better to build a team first, then put a rookie in place to help them?  There are very few QB's that come out anymore who are ready to carry a team.  VERY VERY few.  Maybe its time teams actually build good teams first, then put the QB in place.

Rookie QBs will be a crap shoot.  The top ones played well enough in college to get drafted early.    The argument against Darnold is that he hasn’t shown anything in 3 years and his upside is limited.  The reality is we don’t know how he could do but his time has run out.  That’s the Jets fault.  The risk In not taking a QB this season is that we might not be in this high a position again. We all know how expensive it is to trade up just a few spots.  We lost 3 2’s on Darnold.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

At the point when he actually has a decent offensive line, skill position players and coach.

I don’t think Gase is a good coach by any means, but his offense was much better looking with Flacco and i thought that was telling. I think Flacco would’ve won 5-6 games if he started all year. Darnold just didn’t seem to have any capacity to run the offense

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets should draft Wilson or Fields at #2 and keep Darnold to play out his 4th and final year.  This allows the Jets to ease the rookie into action and give him some development time instead of throwing him into the fire starting Week 1.  Darnold will get a chance to prove himself in a new system, and if he does relatively well, he increases his comp pick value when he leaves in free agency.

Darnold is an experienced quarterback at a reasonable price with potential upside.  He is ideal as a bridge quarterback if you put your emotions aside and look at the situation objectively.  Unless the Jets are blown away by a trade offer, they should absolutely keep him for the 2021 season.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

He’s done here, JD didn’t draft him and has had two seasons to evaluate... a lot of suckiness was Gase but there are things about his game that are maddening(holding on to the ball, throwing dumb pssses, not seeing wide open receivers, not reading defenses etc...) with a new coach it’s time to build a team reset the clock on the rookie contract for the QB... take care Sam, best of luck, good dude, dumb as a stump, passive, he got the short end of the deal here talent and coaching wise, but let him rise like the Phoenix somewhere else...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

At what point does everyone evaluate darnold by what he does on the field and not by what people think he can be?

Yet aren't we doing exactly that with Wilson, or Fields, or any other rookie?  Evaluating them on what we think they can be?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Trading down and getting extra picks could expedite the rebuilding process by years.  You can get a Deshaun Watson type package by trading down twice.  Otherwise we are talking about a slow rebuild and praying whoever we pick pans out.  I'm not against picking a QB if they are in love with one but some of you guys are acting like it makes no sense to get a ransom for the pick and see how Darnolds performs next year.  If he fails we will have plenty of draft capital to draft or trade for a QB next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

How about no losses with Darnold were his fault!

He never cost us a game even with the rookie mistakes. Sure we lost and sure he made some poor throws, but he was put in a mahomes superbowl position every single week with out the benefit of any legitimate gameplan, nfl offensive system, or good coaching. 

Everything wrong with his game is very fixable and a nfl coaching staff could fix in a season. See end of rookie season when we had actual nfl quality coaching. 

He still even till the last game he played showed talent and I think he can still lead the team to the promise land. No matter on your opinion of Darnold. Building a tram around him is a obviously the right thing.

Coachijg staff isn't tied to him but knows he can buy them another year to get qb while getting rest of team in shape.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

37 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He had a nfl quality offense and plays designed to help him. The fact where you don't see a difference in situation kind of shows your bias.

So the difference between # 36 ranked QB play and upper tier QB play is someone calling the good plays.  Got it.  

I admire your childlike faith in Sam Darnold. I really do. 

40 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

How about no losses with Darnold were his fault!

He never cost us a game even with the rookie mistakes. Sure we lost and sure he made some poor throws, but he was put in a mahomes superbowl position every single week with out the benefit of any legitimate gameplan, nfl offensive system, or good coaching. 

Everything wrong with his game is very fixable and a nfl coaching staff could fix in a season. See end of rookie season when we had actual nfl quality coaching. 

He still even till the last game he played showed talent and I think he can still lead the team to the promise land. No matter on your opinion of Darnold. Building a tram around him is a obviously the right thing.

Coachijg staff isn't tied to him but knows he can buy them another year to get qb while getting rest of team in shape.

Dude can’t even throw for 200 yards in a game and consistently makes mind-numbingly bad throws and decisions every game.  But nothing is his fault.  

lmao.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, STLuLu said:

image.jpeg.8775fea35b520769bfbcc46d5a4bd312.jpeg

There's been a lot of hype on sports talk media and social media on the Jets parting ways with Sam Darnold in favor of drafting Zack Wilson with the #2 pick. If you're done with Darnold and think Wilson is a better option and you're rooting for Joe Douglas to make this happen, here are three reasons why you should be begging Douglas to pump the brakes:

1) Wilson can't be just better than Darnold, he has to be exceptional. The Jets have massive holes everywhere so signing a few free-agents and crossing your fingers on draft day isn't going to patch up all the holes. Because of the lack of talent, he has to possess Andrew Luck or Aaron Rogers like talent to place this team on his shoulders and ascend them out of the basement clown's club and up into the high-rise members only club.

2) Do you believe Wilson's odds are greater for him to make the Jets a better team vs keeping Darnold and trading out of the #2 spot in exchange for a boatload of picks? Even if you're a believer in Wilson, you can post all the videos of his fabulous incomplete passes you want, you still have to honest with yourself and think hard on this one. Even if Douglas only hits on 50% of his picks in the upcoming 2021 draft, the odds are still in favor of Darnold plus those picks.

3) 5 teams in the 2020 season made the post season dispite the performance of their QBs: The Steelers, the Browns, the Rams, the Bears, and the Washington football team. If we keep Darnold and trade out of the #2 slot and load up on talent to surround around him with, don't you believe we can be better than a team like the Steelers or the Titans and possibly make the playoffs? Or do you believe we would have a better chance with Wilson minus a void in talent? If you're a Wilson supporter these  are questions you have ask yourself and be honest about. My bet is on Dornald plus an above average supporting cast. I hope the Jets does the right thing and keep Darnold.

image.jpeg

100% agreed

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

All I'll say is that if they trade Sam and go QB in the 1st round at 2, they better be sure it is a major upgrade.  If not, we are starting all over and it is the end of JD.  I think the safer choice (for JD) is to go 1 more year with Sam under the new system and see how it pans out... then go QB in FA or draft if it doesn't.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1