Todd McShay releases his big board

GreekJet

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

If and only if, we keep Sam, I would be happy trading back and grabbing a #1 receiver first. No way you draft a tackle when you did last year and need a guard and center way more. It's just like picking Leonard Williams when we had that position already. Not smart at all, contrary to popular belief, to use your resources that way when we have much more pressing needs. If you keep Sam, no free agent WR1s will want to come here so you'll need to draft one. Why would they want to stake their careers on a QB they hope gets better? Then grab a guard and center with the extra picks you get and try and sign Thuney. Edge rusher and corner depends on who we sign in FA. I think it will be easier to sign those defensive positions due to Saleh being the coach. I just don't get why the same people that complain about having so many holes on this roster and don't want to give away picks for Watson, want to grab a player at one of the few positions were are solid at. We need interior linemen and weapons on offense. Just my opinion, but you don't use a valuable #1 pick on a right tackle.

Leonard Williams was safe but without high upside and played a position (5 technique) that isn't that important. 

Penei Sewell is more than safe, he's elite and freakish. He also plays one of the three or four most important positions in the sport. 

Thuney is alright, but I think Corey Linsley is the real move to be made if the Packers don't sign him. McGovern played his best football at RG in the NFL with the Broncos. You'd upgrade two spots (C, RG) by signing Linsley. Then we can draft a guard late and find a JAG free agent to play at LG. 

I think receiver can be had later in the draft. I'm willing to make an exception for Chase @ 2, Pitts or Waddle on a trade down, but there are good 2nd/3rd round receivers every year in the NFL draft.

Also, I'm a believer that if you have a good rushing attack and give a quarterback good protection, someone's bound to get open.

I think Sewell & Becton + the Shanahan wide zone scheme would give us a distinct competitive advantage over opponents and give us an identity. 

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we don't go the QB at #2 route, I could see a first-three-picks scenario like:

#2 Sewell (OT)

#23 Kadarius Toney (or similar WR)

#34 Mac Jones (QB)

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If we don't go the QB at #2 route, I could see a first-three-picks scenario like:

#2 Sewell (OT)

#23 Kadarius Toney (or similar WR)

#34 Mac Jones (QB)

That would be an intriguing scenario, and I might be up for it. However I feel like Mac Jones is going to be picked higher than people think. I'd actually be surprised if he was there at 23.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

If and only if, we keep Sam, I would be happy trading back and grabbing a #1 receiver first. No way you draft a tackle when you did last year and need a guard and center way more. It's just like picking Leonard Williams when we had that position already. Not smart at all, contrary to popular belief, to use your resources that way when we have much more pressing needs. If you keep Sam, no free agent WR1s will want to come here so you'll need to draft one. Why would they want to stake their careers on a QB they hope gets better? Then grab a guard and center with the extra picks you get and try and sign Thuney. Edge rusher and corner depends on who we sign in FA. I think it will be easier to sign those defensive positions due to Saleh being the coach. I just don't get why the same people that complain about having so many holes on this roster and don't want to give away picks for Watson, want to grab a player at one of the few positions were are solid at. We need interior linemen and weapons on offense. Just my opinion, but you don't use a valuable #1 pick on a right tackle.

Excellent post....absolutely insane that anyone wants to burn the no 2 overall puck on a dramatically overrated, injury prone, one year wonder, that hasn’t played in more than a year, to play RT!!...might as well draft a box safety there.....crazy

Unless we go QB at 2 we have to trade back....anything else is a Maccagnan level fail

if we are burning the 2nd pick on a guy that didn’t play at all in 2020 might as well take a punt on Rousseau, waaay greater need than RT....it’s either Rousseau or Chase although Personally I’d draft Kyle Pitts ahead of everyone of those non QB guys 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

What would be the reaction to drafting Micah Parsons?

I just drafted him 23rd on the simulator. I think he's a guy who'll drop due to character concerns. Don't qoute me, but there was a story regarding him pulling out a knife and attacking a teammate who transferred and complained to the school. I wonder did he actually sit out by choice or was he not allowed back to the program but it was kept on the hush.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GreekJet said:

For those of you who don’t pay extra for this brilliant analysis.

QBs

1.1 Lawrence

2.5 Wilson 

3.12 Lance

4.13 Fields 

His Top 5 players 

Lawrence, Chase, Sewell, Parsons, Wilson 

Does this mean McShay thinks that Zach Wilson is a better QB than Devonta Smith is a WR, than Patrick Surtain II is a CB, and Kyle Pitts is a TE?  Sweet.

49 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I just drafted him 23rd on the simulator. I think he's a guy who'll drop due to character concerns. Don't qoute me, but there was a story regarding him pulling out a knife and attacking a teammate who transferred and complained to the school. I wonder did he actually sit out by choice or was he not allowed back to the program but it was kept on the hush.

https://fox56.com/news/local/former-psu-football-player-gives-details-on-alleged-hazing-by-teammates

Dick swinging confirmed.

He alleges in the complaint that Barber, Parsons, Gross-Matos and did the following to him and certain other players:

• Took their clothes and did not return them.
  • Told them they intended to make them “their bitch because this is a prison.”
  • Wrestled them down and simulating a humping action while on top of them.
  • Placed their penis in their faces while simulating ejaculation.
  • Placed their penis on and in their buttocks.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I honestly think our QB will be either Darnold or Wilson. Wilson supposedly fits LaFluer’s offense beautifully.

I think it will be either Watson for Wilson - don't believe JD and Saleh will stick with Darnold instead of bringing in a proven QB or resetting the rookie QB clock.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Leonard Williams was safe but without high upside and played a position (5 technique) that isn't that important. 

Penei Sewell is more than safe, he's elite and freakish. He also plays one of the three or four most important positions in the sport. 

Thuney is alright, but I think Corey Linsley is the real move to be made if the Packers don't sign him. McGovern played his best football at RG in the NFL with the Broncos. You'd upgrade two spots (C, RG) by signing Linsley. Then we can draft a guard late and find a JAG free agent to play at LG. 

I think receiver can be had later in the draft. I'm willing to make an exception for Chase @ 2, Pitts or Waddle on a trade down, but there are good 2nd/3rd round receivers every year in the NFL draft.

Also, I'm a believer that if you have a good rushing attack and give a quarterback good protection, someone's bound to get open.

I think Sewell & Becton + the Shanahan wide zone scheme would give us a distinct competitive advantage over opponents and give us an identity. 

Much of what you said I agree with, but Sewell is a left tackle and we have a left tackle for the next decade - you can't ignore that point. You don't spend a high pick on a right tackle, that's foolish. We have a sufficient RT. With all the holes we have you can't pick a player to play out of position. And if you do, do you think either left tackle - Becton or Sewell, won't be pissed when they sign their next contract which will be for right tackle money? I would venture to guess they would just go to another team to play left tackle and get paid more. Regarding receiver, - we need a true #1. If we keep Sam that has to be found in the draft, which means if we can trade back a few spots, that pick should be Smith or Waddle. I think Chase will be gone. You can take all the other assets and draft a guard or center, corner, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Mac Jones will not make it out of the 1st round. He might not even be there at 23

Definitely a possibility.

But as in many drafts, the hype is massive for QB's right now.

It will die down for some of them before Draft Day, and at least one will fall further than any of us think.  Happens almost every time.

Today we're seeing the idea of 5x QB's picked in the top 10-20, Golden Boy, Wilson, Fields, Lance and maybe Jones.  

I don't see all of them actually going that high when draft day arrives.

41 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Much of what you said I agree with, but Sewell is a left tackle and we have a left tackle for the next decade - you can't ignore that point. You don't spend a high pick on a right tackle, that's foolish. We have a sufficient RT. With all the holes we have you can't pick a player to play out of position. And if you do, do you think either left tackle - Becton or Sewell, won't be pissed when they sign their next contract which will be for right tackle money? I would venture to guess they would just go to another team to play left tackle and get paid more. Regarding receiver, - we need a true #1. If we keep Sam that has to be found in the draft, which means if we can trade back a few spots, that pick should be Smith or Waddle. I think Chase will be gone. You can take all the other assets and draft a guard or center, corner, etc.

I've said before, I'm very happy with Chase at 2. Both scenarios are a home run. 

As for the left tackle v right tackle thing, I don't think the distinction matters as much anymore, except, of course, when they're getting paid. 

We'd have time to sort that out, though, and I don't think it's a bad allocation of resources to pay both tackles premium money. If you locked both up before they became free agents and paid them well, I'd have absolutely no problem with that. 

Left or Right, tackle is a premium position in this sport and clearly integral to winning (see KC or GB vs Tampa Bay). 

But to the larger point, I don't think you can go wrong with Chase @ 2 and the OT later or Sewell @ 2 and the WR later. I'm happy with either outcome.

The big mistake, IMO, is taking one of the quarterbacks not named Trevor Lawrence at the second pick. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, GreekJet said:

For those of you who don’t pay extra for this brilliant analysis.

QBs

1.1 Lawrence

2.5 Wilson 

3.12 Lance

4.13 Fields 

His Top 5 players 

Lawrence, Chase, Sewell, Parsons, Wilson 

It’ll change half a dozen times by the time the draft kicks off. 

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

+1 picking Sewell at 2 is rank stupidity