Jump to content

I just did a Pro Football Network mock simulation, with myself as the GM, and these are the results:


Recommended Posts

For fun, I did a mock simulation with Pro Football Network, and their were proposed trades that I could accept or reject.  This is what I ended up with:

AT #2, I traded with #5 Cincinnati.  At #5, I traded with #8 Carolina.

At #8, I drafted : Kyle Pitts  TE Florida

at #23, I drafted:  Alijah Vera-Tucker  OT USC

at #34, I drafted:  Mac Jones  QB Alabama

at #38, which is what I got from the trade with Cincinnati, I drafted: Terrance Marshall Jr.   WR LSU

At #66, another pick I got in one of my 2 trades, I drafted:  Michael Carter  RB North Carolina

AT #86, I drafted:  Rashad Weaver   Edge, Pitt

I also picked up the 1st round draft pick from Cincinnati with the 2022 NFL Draft.

I also picked up the 1st round draft pick from Carolina with the 2022 NFL Draft.

First, what do you think of my draft?

Second, if we stayed at #2, look at all the draft potential that we would have lost out on,  To me, when you see what is possible, it makes sense to me to stick with Darnold and get draft capital for this year and next.  In my mocks situation, I pick up Mac Jones early in the 2nd round to compete with Darnold.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I like the trades, but only if you are deciding to keep Darnold.  Don't like Mac Jones.  If you are looking for a QB, you probably want to stay at 2.

Mac Jones shouldn’t even be drafted until the 3rd-4th round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Mac Jones shouldn’t even be drafted until the 3rd-4th round.

It's interesting how you feel about Mac Jones.  He isn't very mobile, and is doesn't have the strongest throwing arm, but is accurate, even when throwing the long ball.  I saw a stat where he had 41 touchdown throws with only 5 picks.  He is a leader as well.  

I don't know enough to disagree with you about when he should be drafted, just thought that even if we stayed with Darnold, Mac Jones could be brought in as competition for Darnold.  Or perhaps it would be just another wasted pick, like we did when we drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alka said:

It's interesting how you feel about Mac Jones.  He isn't very mobile, and is doesn't have the strongest throwing arm, but is accurate, even when throwing the long ball.  I saw a stat where he had 41 touchdown throws with only 5 picks.  He is a leader as well.  

I don't know enough to disagree with you about when he should be drafted, just thought that even if we stayed with Darnold, Mac Jones could be brought in as competition for Darnold.  Or perhaps it would be just another wasted pick, like we did when we drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round? 

He's not much of an athlete. The NFL QB has changed over the recent years.  Defenders are so much bigger, faster.  Jones seems like he'd end up as a decent backup down the road or a Trent Dilfer type QB who could be successful as a game manager with a kick azz defense.   Jets need a difference maker at QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, Alka said:

For fun, I did a mock simulation with Pro Football Network, and their were proposed trades that I could accept or reject.  This is what I ended up with:

AT #2, I traded with #5 Cincinnati.  At #5, I traded with #8 Carolina.

At #8, I drafted : Kyle Pitts  TE Florida

at #23, I drafted:  Alijah Vera-Tucker  OT USC

at #34, I drafted:  Mac Jones  QB Alabama

at #38, which is what I got from the trade with Cincinnati, I drafted: Terrance Marshall Jr.   WR LSU

At #66, another pick I got in one of my 2 trades, I drafted:  Michael Carter  RB North Carolina

AT #86, I drafted:  Rashad Weaver   Edge, Pitt

I also picked up the 1st round draft pick from Cincinnati with the 2022 NFL Draft.

I also picked up the 1st round draft pick from Carolina with the 2022 NFL Draft.

First, what do you think of my draft?

Second, if we stayed at #2, look at all the draft potential that we would have lost out on,  To me, when you see what is possible, it makes sense to me to stick with Darnold and get draft capital for this year and next.  In my mocks situation, I pick up Mac Jones early in the 2nd round to compete with Darnold.  

Not a fan of Mac Jones as a FQB. And I don't think Darnold has any future with the Jets- meaning they don't plan to re-sign him. Otherwise, I really like the prospects in your mock. 

If you assume the Jets may end up having to trade up for a QB next year, they will probably need to give up at least one of those extra first rounders they got. At least. Who knows. 

If they trade Darnold, the could get potentially get a 2nd rounder. Again, who knows. 

But if you do the math, you can put together a pretty similar draft without a trade down. Ok. So the Jets don't get Pitts. That's a major loss. But they get a potential FQB at #2. They get Vera-Tucker at 23. They get Marshall at #34 (no Mac Jones but who cares, they just got their FQB). They have another 2nd rounder from the Darnold trade- lets assume its a late 2nd rounder so they take Carter. Then they have their 3rd round picks for Weaver, etc. 

I mean, its a similar draft, no Pitts, no Mac jones, no additional 1st rounders next year. but they get their FQB and they don't have to worry about moving up in the draft next year to draft a FQB, which is a lot harder than it seems. 

I think your scenario really has to assume that A. JD and Jets coaching staff believe in Sam's upside and are willing to re-sign him if he shows improvement. B. Really see a lot in Mac Jones to the point where they would give him a roster spot and use a 2nd round pick on him. And C. Have already lost faith in Morgan without seeing much of anything form him. Or, I dunno, maybe they just really, really love Mac Jones and are ok moving on from Sam. I don't see them cutting loose Morgan without even giving him a shot. 

Doesn't make sense to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, chirorob said:

That's cool, I'd love to trade down twice.

Not to be a jerk, there's a whole thread on the in the draft forum.

Can you link it, please, because I'm going blind and am just not seeing it (does it have an odd topic title maybe?)

 

Never mind, I found it.  Derp!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Not a fan of Mac Jones as a FQB. And I don't think Darnold has any future with the Jets- meaning they don't plan to re-sign him. Otherwise, I really like the prospects in your mock. 

If you assume the Jets may end up having to trade up for a QB next year, they will probably need to give up at least one of those extra first rounders they got. At least. Who knows. 

If they trade Darnold, the could get potentially get a 2nd rounder. Again, who knows. 

But if you do the math, you can put together a pretty similar draft without a trade down. Ok. So the Jets don't get Pitts. That's a major loss. But they get a potential FQB at #2. They get Vera-Tucker at 23. They get Marshall at #34 (no Mac Jones but who cares, they just got their FQB). They have another 2nd rounder from the Darnold trade- lets assume its a late 2nd rounder so they take Carter. Then they have their 3rd round picks for Weaver, etc. 

I mean, its a similar draft, no Pitts, no Mac jones, no additional 1st rounders next year. but they get their FQB and they don't have to worry about moving up in the draft next year to draft a FQB, which is a lot harder than it seems. 

I think your scenario really has to assume that A. JD and Jets coaching staff believe in Sam's upside and are willing to re-sign him if he shows improvement. B. Really see a lot in Mac Jones to the point where they would give him a roster spot and use a 2nd round pick on him. And C. Have already lost faith in Morgan without seeing much of anything form him. Or, I dunno, maybe they just really, really love Mac Jones and are ok moving on from Sam. I don't see them cutting loose Morgan without even giving him a shot. 

Doesn't make sense to me. 

Mac Jones - full scouting report 

 

Mac Jones’ athletic genes are littered throughout his family, but it all started with his father, Gordon Jones. Playing at both Florida State and later Flagler University, he went on to lead the program to an NAIA national title in 1977. His mother, Holly Jones, played tennis at Mercer College, and his older brother, Will, would follow in her footsteps, but as a soccer player (2012-2015). Jones also has a sister, Sarah Jane, who played tennis at the College of Charleston (2014-2018). Jones’ parents are both partners at the same law firm in Jacksonville, FL (Jones & McCorkle). He hopes one day to become an attorney and own his own practice down the road. Attending high school at The Bolles School, Jones was a prolific player at one of the top private school programs in Florida. As a 4-star recruit, he originally intended to sign with Kentucky, but he changed his mind, leading him to sign with the Crimson Tide.

After the injury to Tua Tagovailoa during the 10th game of the 2019 season, Jones was forced to enter the lineup as the starting QB moving forward. Showing positive signs during the team's final three games, he entered 2020 as the unquestioned starter even though the program signed a highly-touted 5-star recruit to be the heir apparent. During his junior season, Jones displayed many of the traits that he demonstrated during the three-game backstretch of his sophomore campaign. A bit of a slender thrower, Jones doesn’t possess a hint of definition or muscle in his body structure. A clear leader and very smart player at the position, he understands where all options are when going through progressions. Having a clear understanding of object reads that involve run-pass options as well as multiple level progressions, he’s well seasoned with the verbiage and variety of concepts that will be required of him on the next level. 

Containing average arm strength, he’s an underrated deep passer that’s able to layer the ball into adequate spots for perimeter targets. As an anticipatory thrower, he’s well above average with “about to be open” throws of where he releases the ball while estimating where targets are going to be. Balance and savvy within the pocket are top-tier traits, as he’s an excellent mover within the pocket and knows how to create windows of opportunities to release throws with a cleaner view than previously offered. Jones isn’t a passer that will make a living creating off-script plays outside of structure, but he has enough mobility to take advantage of the grass offered to him. Jones is a passer that will need the three P’s surrounding him (playmakers, play-caller, protection) at high-tier levels in order to see his full potential on a consistent basis, as he isn’t a thrower that will be able to overcome those elements being at a lower-tier level.

Ideal Role: Lower tier starting QB.

Scheme Fit: West Coast or Erhardt-Perkins offensive system—quick rhythm-based throws with periodic deep shots down the field.

FILM EVALUATION
Written by Jordan Reid

Games watched: Auburn (2019), Michigan (2019), LSU (2020), Auburn (2020), Kentucky (2020), Ole Miss (2020), Texas A&M (2020), Mississippi State (2020), Missouri (2020), Georgia (2020), Florida (2020)

Best Game Studied: Michigan (2019), Texas A&M (2020), Ole Miss (2020), Georgia (2020), Florida (2020)

Worst Game Studied: Auburn (2019), Kentucky (2020)

Accuracy: The former Alabama QB is an accurate thrower who takes full advantage of voided coverages in the short to intermediate areas of the field. The Crimson Tide offense was able to mix in occasional shots down the field where Jones was able to display his deep-ball accuracy, but there were some throws down the field where his lack of accuracy showed up—mainly when targets got too far down the field for him and he simply didn’t have the “umph” behind it in order to reach certain destinations. His ball placement is consistent, as he helps receivers out with their post-snap process by delivering the ball to them in correct placements to get yards after the catch.

Decision Making: Since taking over for Tua Tagovailoa following the early stages of the 2019 season, the Alabama offense hasn’t missed a beat. 

Poise: Considering the heightened circumstances that he faced when entering last season as the backup quarterback that quickly had to become the starter, his preparedness and intellect with playing the position were exhibited in 2019. Carrying that over to 2020, the increase in playing time has expedited his development to become one of the top passers in the country. Despite the surrounding elements, he’s consistently been able to put the ball in the correct spots and the magnitude of moments haven’t phased him. His calmness in the pocket is one of his best traits. Not containing a panic button in his body, he’s wise with knowing where his outlet throws are. Quick to throw check-downs, swings, or options designed in the scheme to get him out of trouble, he seems to know exactly where they are when faced with danger.  

Progressions: Jones’ decision making in all three levels of the field was well above average as he’s required to constantly perform multi-step progressions. A sign of how well he understands how to funnel through them cleanly, he’s not afraid to dump the ball to the running back as the last option in progressions. Like the long hand on an old school analog clock, it’s easy to see Jones get through his first, second, third, and sometimes even fourth option in his reads. His ability to perform the process of elimination while going through progressions is an area that he’s shown consistency with. 

Release: Jones has a ¾ release that has a strong wrist snap behind it. His passes come out of his hand with velocity, but the closer they get to targets, the more they can tend to die. Seen on far hash throws and when targeting options down the field in one-on-one situations, receivers were forced to stop and turn back for the ball.  

Pocket Manipulation: Arguably the best part of Jones’ game is how he’s able to shuffle and maneuver within the pocket to work and find new avenues to throw the ball when the pocket is bearing down on him. Always keeping his eyes up and hardly ever glancing down at the rush, he’s aware of where targets are relocating to even though he has to alter his body in order to reset and make throws. His lower half is always active and works to find clearer windows in order to make visible throws. For what he lacks in mobility outside of the pocket, he makes up for it within it. Jones is outstanding with being able to feel traffic within the pocket and successfully getting out of harm's way in order to get throws off cleanly. Subtle movements with his lower body in all four directions help him evade pressure and throw from cleaner sightlines.

Arm Strength: Jones is an underrated deep passer who has the gift of touch plus being able to anticipate where targets will end up. Knowing that he has slightly above-average arm strength, he’s aware of estimating where wideouts will be and throwing them to spots that are well within his arm strength range. Jones releases the ball well before targets appear to be open with full trust that they will eventually end up in the spots that he’s throwing to. Seen on vertical shots down the field as well as targets over the middle, his ability to see things before they happen and make anticipatory throws help overcompensate for the lack of arm strength that he contains.

Mobility: Life outside of the pocket won’t be easy for him as he is a below-average athlete that will struggle to get out of harm's way when exiting the pocket. While not a complete statue, Jones will struggle with outracing defenders that are closing the gaps on him. Consistently creating off-script plays or ones outside of the original design won’t be areas that he makes a living doing. Able to perform rollout, bootlegs, and nakeds, those are the only types of plays that he will be able to consistently execute outside of the pocket.

Leadership: Took over as the starter down the backstretch of last season and it was a seamless transition from a highly-touted QB to Jones. Prior to the season, he was named as one of four team captains—his first time earning the honor. On the field, he has the respect of teammates and coaches. His ability to redirect traffic and get players in the correct spot is seen throughout his film as he can make solutions out of prior problems. Having the autonomy to get the offense into better situations is the range of decision making that he’s been provided by the offensive coaching staff.

Mechanics: Jones has clean mechanics above the waist and a clean motion when the ball comes out. His ability as a quick thinker and decisiveness when throwing on the perimeter help him get the ball out in an instant. Where Jones’ biggest improvements will need to come is below the knees. He’s excellent with moving around and finding new throwing windows in the pocket, but he has a tendency to lock his front leg (left) and fadeaway from throws while throwing with all of his might. Bending his knees and keeping that same balance when throwing from clean pockets will not only help him drive the ball more consistently, but puts less reliance on his sub-par arm in order to get throws from point A to point B. 

Prospect Comparison: Andy Dalton (2011 NFL Draft, Cincinnati Bengals)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Mac Jones - full scouting report 

 

Mac Jones’ athletic genes are littered throughout his family, but it all started with his father, Gordon Jones. Playing at both Florida State and later Flagler University, he went on to lead the program to an NAIA national title in 1977. His mother, Holly Jones, played tennis at Mercer College, and his older brother, Will, would follow in her footsteps, but as a soccer player (2012-2015). Jones also has a sister, Sarah Jane, who played tennis at the College of Charleston (2014-2018). Jones’ parents are both partners at the same law firm in Jacksonville, FL (Jones & McCorkle). He hopes one day to become an attorney and own his own practice down the road. Attending high school at The Bolles School, Jones was a prolific player at one of the top private school programs in Florida. As a 4-star recruit, he originally intended to sign with Kentucky, but he changed his mind, leading him to sign with the Crimson Tide.

After the injury to Tua Tagovailoa during the 10th game of the 2019 season, Jones was forced to enter the lineup as the starting QB moving forward. Showing positive signs during the team's final three games, he entered 2020 as the unquestioned starter even though the program signed a highly-touted 5-star recruit to be the heir apparent. During his junior season, Jones displayed many of the traits that he demonstrated during the three-game backstretch of his sophomore campaign. A bit of a slender thrower, Jones doesn’t possess a hint of definition or muscle in his body structure. A clear leader and very smart player at the position, he understands where all options are when going through progressions. Having a clear understanding of object reads that involve run-pass options as well as multiple level progressions, he’s well seasoned with the verbiage and variety of concepts that will be required of him on the next level. 

Containing average arm strength, he’s an underrated deep passer that’s able to layer the ball into adequate spots for perimeter targets. As an anticipatory thrower, he’s well above average with “about to be open” throws of where he releases the ball while estimating where targets are going to be. Balance and savvy within the pocket are top-tier traits, as he’s an excellent mover within the pocket and knows how to create windows of opportunities to release throws with a cleaner view than previously offered. Jones isn’t a passer that will make a living creating off-script plays outside of structure, but he has enough mobility to take advantage of the grass offered to him. Jones is a passer that will need the three P’s surrounding him (playmakers, play-caller, protection) at high-tier levels in order to see his full potential on a consistent basis, as he isn’t a thrower that will be able to overcome those elements being at a lower-tier level.

Ideal Role: Lower tier starting QB.

Scheme Fit: West Coast or Erhardt-Perkins offensive system—quick rhythm-based throws with periodic deep shots down the field.

FILM EVALUATION
Written by Jordan Reid

Games watched: Auburn (2019), Michigan (2019), LSU (2020), Auburn (2020), Kentucky (2020), Ole Miss (2020), Texas A&M (2020), Mississippi State (2020), Missouri (2020), Georgia (2020), Florida (2020)

Best Game Studied: Michigan (2019), Texas A&M (2020), Ole Miss (2020), Georgia (2020), Florida (2020)

Worst Game Studied: Auburn (2019), Kentucky (2020)

Accuracy: The former Alabama QB is an accurate thrower who takes full advantage of voided coverages in the short to intermediate areas of the field. The Crimson Tide offense was able to mix in occasional shots down the field where Jones was able to display his deep-ball accuracy, but there were some throws down the field where his lack of accuracy showed up—mainly when targets got too far down the field for him and he simply didn’t have the “umph” behind it in order to reach certain destinations. His ball placement is consistent, as he helps receivers out with their post-snap process by delivering the ball to them in correct placements to get yards after the catch.

Decision Making: Since taking over for Tua Tagovailoa following the early stages of the 2019 season, the Alabama offense hasn’t missed a beat. 

Poise: Considering the heightened circumstances that he faced when entering last season as the backup quarterback that quickly had to become the starter, his preparedness and intellect with playing the position were exhibited in 2019. Carrying that over to 2020, the increase in playing time has expedited his development to become one of the top passers in the country. Despite the surrounding elements, he’s consistently been able to put the ball in the correct spots and the magnitude of moments haven’t phased him. His calmness in the pocket is one of his best traits. Not containing a panic button in his body, he’s wise with knowing where his outlet throws are. Quick to throw check-downs, swings, or options designed in the scheme to get him out of trouble, he seems to know exactly where they are when faced with danger.  

Progressions: Jones’ decision making in all three levels of the field was well above average as he’s required to constantly perform multi-step progressions. A sign of how well he understands how to funnel through them cleanly, he’s not afraid to dump the ball to the running back as the last option in progressions. Like the long hand on an old school analog clock, it’s easy to see Jones get through his first, second, third, and sometimes even fourth option in his reads. His ability to perform the process of elimination while going through progressions is an area that he’s shown consistency with. 

Release: Jones has a ¾ release that has a strong wrist snap behind it. His passes come out of his hand with velocity, but the closer they get to targets, the more they can tend to die. Seen on far hash throws and when targeting options down the field in one-on-one situations, receivers were forced to stop and turn back for the ball.  

Pocket Manipulation: Arguably the best part of Jones’ game is how he’s able to shuffle and maneuver within the pocket to work and find new avenues to throw the ball when the pocket is bearing down on him. Always keeping his eyes up and hardly ever glancing down at the rush, he’s aware of where targets are relocating to even though he has to alter his body in order to reset and make throws. His lower half is always active and works to find clearer windows in order to make visible throws. For what he lacks in mobility outside of the pocket, he makes up for it within it. Jones is outstanding with being able to feel traffic within the pocket and successfully getting out of harm's way in order to get throws off cleanly. Subtle movements with his lower body in all four directions help him evade pressure and throw from cleaner sightlines.

Arm Strength: Jones is an underrated deep passer who has the gift of touch plus being able to anticipate where targets will end up. Knowing that he has slightly above-average arm strength, he’s aware of estimating where wideouts will be and throwing them to spots that are well within his arm strength range. Jones releases the ball well before targets appear to be open with full trust that they will eventually end up in the spots that he’s throwing to. Seen on vertical shots down the field as well as targets over the middle, his ability to see things before they happen and make anticipatory throws help overcompensate for the lack of arm strength that he contains.

Mobility: Life outside of the pocket won’t be easy for him as he is a below-average athlete that will struggle to get out of harm's way when exiting the pocket. While not a complete statue, Jones will struggle with outracing defenders that are closing the gaps on him. Consistently creating off-script plays or ones outside of the original design won’t be areas that he makes a living doing. Able to perform rollout, bootlegs, and nakeds, those are the only types of plays that he will be able to consistently execute outside of the pocket.

Leadership: Took over as the starter down the backstretch of last season and it was a seamless transition from a highly-touted QB to Jones. Prior to the season, he was named as one of four team captains—his first time earning the honor. On the field, he has the respect of teammates and coaches. His ability to redirect traffic and get players in the correct spot is seen throughout his film as he can make solutions out of prior problems. Having the autonomy to get the offense into better situations is the range of decision making that he’s been provided by the offensive coaching staff.

Mechanics: Jones has clean mechanics above the waist and a clean motion when the ball comes out. His ability as a quick thinker and decisiveness when throwing on the perimeter help him get the ball out in an instant. Where Jones’ biggest improvements will need to come is below the knees. He’s excellent with moving around and finding new throwing windows in the pocket, but he has a tendency to lock his front leg (left) and fadeaway from throws while throwing with all of his might. Bending his knees and keeping that same balance when throwing from clean pockets will not only help him drive the ball more consistently, but puts less reliance on his sub-par arm in order to get throws from point A to point B. 

Prospect Comparison: Andy Dalton (2011 NFL Draft, Cincinnati Bengals)

Nice read.. one thing that comes to mind is...how were Tua’s progressions in the same system

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...