Offensive lineman we might be targeting

Rhg1084

I think my pick at 23 now, if he is available would be Teven Jenkins. I think someone that can be a day 1 starter at guard, with the possibility of replacing Fant at RT in the future is the best way to tap into this deep OT class. Jenkins has experience playing guard, and is a nasty finisher which I think Douglas covets. Brandon Thorne is really high on him as well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

With the way FA has unfolded, I think this thread is going to become more important as I think OL is going. to be a target at 23 (I always felt that way, but I feel even stronger about it now). Let's dissect some tape shall we? Maybe we can even get @RobR when he isn't being a workaholic. 

The truth is I haven't watched film on any of these prospects this year, however I did watch tape from Leatherwood last year and I love him as a prospect. Big long guy that dominated the SEC and would have been a first rounder if he came out last year. He has great feet and looks very athletic. When I watched Bama this year I would focus in on him for a few plays and he is absolutely dominant.

I'm surprised nobody here is even talking about him. If we go QB at 2 and Leatherwood is available at 23 I would run the card in.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, RobR said:

The truth is I haven't watched film on any of these prospects this year, however I did watch tape from Leatherwood last year and I love him as a prospect. Big long guy that dominated the SEC and would have been a first rounder if he came out last year. He has great feet and looks very athletic. When I watched Bama this year I would focus in on him for a few plays and he is absolutely dominant.

I'm surprised nobody here is even talking about him. If we go QB at 2 and Leatherwood is available at 23 I would run the card in.

Are you surprised by the performance from any of the OT performances from last year based off of what you projected? Or did it largely fall in line with what you thought?

4 hours ago, TheMo said:

Are you surprised by the performance from any of the OT performances from last year based off of what you projected? Or did it largely fall in line with what you thought?

I had Becton number 1 overall in my rankings and he didn't disappoint. I liked all of the top four and the only one that disappointed was Andrew Thomas but I believe he ended up playing better as the year went on. My sleeper was Peart and he looks to be an up and comer who played well when called upon.

The guys I didn't like, like Cleveland ended up pushing inside when everyone was gushing about his combine and touting him as a first round LT of the future. Like they say.....just put on the tape.

9 hours ago, RobR said:

I had Becton number 1 overall in my rankings and he didn't disappoint. I liked all of the top four and the only one that disappointed was Andrew Thomas but I believe he ended up playing better as the year went on. My sleeper was Peart and he looks to be an up and comer who played well when called upon.

The guys I didn't like, like Cleveland ended up pushing inside when everyone was gushing about his combine and touting him as a first round LT of the future. Like they say.....just put on the tape.

Hey man, good to hear from you. What do you think of Cam Clark? Willl he be able to win a job at G? Hope all is well .?

Rashawn Slater - I think Slater is an example of how much draft media has fallen to groupthink this year. I've watched the Ohio State tape (aka the Chase Young game) and the Stanford tape. He's really smart, mobile, good hand placement, good anchor, but there is no way in hell he is better than Sewell (despite what Daniel Jeremiah thinks). He doesn't have the elite length that you want on the outside and you can see him get beat a couple of times on inside moves in the Stanford game. For the Jets scheme, I think Slater would be a fantastic fit as an IOL, but I think he may struggle at tackle in the NFL. 

• Upvote 4

Jenkins or Vera-Tucker at 23 seem like really good fits for the Zone Blocking scheme they are going to run. Also can play guard.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-landing-spots-pff-top-10-offensive-line-prospects

T TEVEN JENKINS, OKLAHOMA STATE: BALTIMORE RAVENS

Tackle Orlando Brown Jr.’s camp has officially begun exploring trade destinations, according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler. There are a handful of teams that will express interest in him, but perhaps the most likely landing spot for Brown is the Jacksonville Jaguars, who own the 25th and 33rd overall picks. Regardless of what pick the Ravens receive in that hypothetical deal, they need to have their eyes on a tackle. Teven Jenkins would be a match made in heaven.

Jenkins was a mainstay on the Pokes’ offensive line over the past three years, and he performed exceptionally well each season. He excelled in the run game, where he notched the second-best run-blocking grade among FBS right tackles in those three seasons combined. He intimidated edge defenders with his strength, resulting in a multitude of positively graded blocks as he rarely ceded ground. He was the only Power Five tackle to rank top five in both positively and negatively graded run block rate in 2020.

The rarity in which we saw Jenkins go one-on-one on true pass sets in Oklahoma State’s offense is a minor concern, though. Just 128 of his 946 snaps in the past three years were true pass sets. That said, Jenkins posted an elite 90.0 pass-blocking grade on those snaps, which would have been the best at the position had he played enough to qualify.

Another concern is his shorter arm length, which could kick him inside at the next level. In an offense like Baltimore’s, though, those concerns aren't as prominent. He’ll hold up just fine in pass protection and would be a huge asset for the Ravens' potent run game with his brute strength.

IOL ALIJAH VERA-TUCKER, USC: KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Kansas City’s interior offensive line is among the team's few problems — one that is an area of focus this offseason. While Vera-Tucker held up fairly well at tackle in 2020, he’s more than likely a guard at the next level. He'll still be good there, especially in a zone-heavy scheme like Andy Reid's.

At left tackle in 2020 and left guard in 2019, Vera-Tucker owned a zone blocking grade that surpassed the 90th percentile in the FBS in each of the two years. His 2019 season was as consistent as it gets, as he produced the second-best grade on true pass sets among FBS guards. Vera-Tucker also allowed just seven pressures across 590 pass-blocking snaps overall at guard that year.

• Upvote 2

Elijah Vera Tucker - A lot of projecting with him because he's going to play inside in the NFL and his 2020 tape is at tackle. In the Utah game he was struggling with his hand placement and reaction off the snap in the 1st quarter, but started to improve. Hands appeared generally sound after that. Really good anchor that will serve him well on the inside. He's not the athlete that Slater is on tape and he has a tendency to overextend and reach on the 2nd level. He's good, but I don't see anything "elite" on film. 

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Hey man, good to hear from you. What do you think of Cam Clark? Willl he be able to win a job at G? Hope all is well .?

All is well, I've just been busy with real life. Regarding Clark I have no idea because I've never watched any of his tape. Hopefully he turns into the answer at one of the guard spots because we are so weak at both positions.

• Upvote 3

On 3/20/2021 at 10:20 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I think my pick at 23 now, if he is available would be Teven Jenkins. I think someone that can be a day 1 starter at guard, with the possibility of replacing Fant at RT in the future is the best way to tap into this deep OT class. Jenkins has experience playing guard, and is a nasty finisher which I think Douglas covets. Brandon Thorne is really high on him as well. 

I really like this idea as his fit to start at RG and possibly move to RT provides a lot of value and I do believe his nasty attitude is what JD is trying to build.

The thing that I dont know is how he would fit as a zone guard?  Someone posted that he was a zone fit, but the PFF article talks about Vera-Tucker being a great zone OL but not Jenkins.  The one scouting report I did read said he is better in a man/power scheme so Im not sure he would fit what we are doing.  His pro day is April 1, so maybe he shows more athleticism.

If he isnt a fit and vera-tucker has graded out well both inside and at OT in a zone system, seems like an ideal day 1 starter. 

40 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I really like this idea as his fit to start at RG and possibly move to RT provides a lot of value and I do believe his nasty attitude is what JD is trying to build.

The thing that I dont know is how he would fit as a zone guard?  Someone posted that he was a zone fit, but the PFF article talks about Vera-Tucker being a great zone OL but not Jenkins.  The one scouting report I did read said he is better in a man/power scheme so Im not sure he would fit what we are doing.  His pro day is April 1, so maybe he shows more athleticism.

If he isnt a fit and vera-tucker has graded out well both inside and at OT in a zone system, seems like an ideal day 1 starter. 

Jenkins is definitely a Mauler type. He’s not a guy who can’t move but his game is strength not mobility. Vera-Tucker is a perfect fit.

22 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Wyatt Davis at 23 and Creed Humprey at 34

Wyatt Davis didn’t have a great season. He’s a reach at 23 but with a trade back into mid 2nd and he’d be a good pick. Also he’s not a great outside zone fit but there’s a point where he’s too good for that to be a problem.

• Sympathy 1

Jaylen Mayfield - He's got the physical tools. Good length and he's a very good mover (I'm interested in his testing numbers). I could see him being a real asset on outside zone runs. He does seem a tick unsure at times when recognizing stunts or getting to the second level. He's strong, but you also see him get pushed into the pocket more often than you expect. Mayfield may struggle a little bit at first, but I think the issues he has are correctable. He's also a good candidate to start inside then kickout to tackle his second year. I think he is a prime target at the top of round 2 for the Jets. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jaylen Mayfield - He's got the physical tools. Good length and he's a very good mover (I'm interested in his testing numbers). I could see him being a real asset on outside zone runs. He does seem a tick unsure at times when recognizing stunts or getting to the second level. He's strong, but you also see him get pushed into the pocket more often than you expect. Mayfield may struggle a little bit at first, but I think the issues he has are correctable. He's also a good candidate to start inside then kickout to tackle his second year. I think he is a prime target at the top of round 2 for the Jets. 

I’m unconvinced by Jaylen Mayfield. He’s comfortably in the “I get it but I wouldn’t do it” range for me. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

What don’t you like about him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayfield is a super athletic. He is also nasty. He also might as well not have arms. He gives up his chest and it hurt him in 2019. His 2 game sample in 2020 showed improvement in that area but there was still a lot to be desired. Mayfield also struggles at the second level, he can get there but he misses a lot. There were a few plays where he gets to the second level and picks up speed and I’m like “wow he’s gonna crush someone” and he just runs past defenders. It’s kinda hilarious. His lateral agility is so good and might be able to play guard in year 1 since that’ll require less impressive hand work. 

I understand someone taking a chance on Mayfield in round 2 but I just like guys like Leatherwood and Radunz better at 34. At 23, there has to be better value at another position than Mayfield.

• Sympathy 2

Movin the Chains had Paul Alexander on last night, the former OL coach in the NFL. On every week this time before the draft. Talked about some guys he's working with. The two OT's he mentioned were Walker Little from Stanford and Larry Borom from Mizzu. Loves, loves, loves Little, thinks he will be a steal . Hasn't played in two years, but says whomever takes him will be happy. Borom is an under the radar type.....checks all the boxes and thinks he will go later, but will have a good career as a starting RT.

Mentioned one C, Jimmy Morrissey from Pitt. Walk on, 4 year starter for the Panthers. Again, thinks will be a 3rd round guy who will have a good career as a starter.

@Beerfish this last guy is for you, a Canadian OG from Montreal, Pier-Olivier Lestage. he said he was up before covid to look at another player last year, and he saw this guy and asked the coach "who the hell is that?" Coach said he is a G who they think will go in the First RD next year in the CFL draft. This guy Lestage reminds him of Thuney the way he plays. Interesting to see where and when he goes.

• Upvote 3

Just now, section314 said:

Movin the Chains had Paul Alexander on last night, the former OL coach in the NFL. On every week this time before the draft. Talked about some guys he's working with. The two OT's he mentioned were Walker Little from Stanford and Larry Borom from Mizzu. Loves, loves, loves Little, thinks he will be a steal . Hasn't played in two years, but says whomever takes him will be happy. Borom is an under the radar type.....checks all the boxes and thinks he will go later, but will have a good career as a starting RT.

Mentioned one C, Jimmy Morrissey from Pitt. Walk on, 4 year starter for the Panthers. Again, thinks will be a 3rd day guy who will have a good career as a starter.

@Beerfish this last guy is for you, a Canadian OG from Montreal, Pier-Olivier Lestage. he said he was up before covid to look at another player last year, and he saw this guy and asked the coach "who the hell is that?" Coach said he is a G who they think will go in the First RD next year in the CFL draft. This guy Lestage reminds him of Thuney the way he plays. Interesting to see where and when he goes.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I agree.Could see first for him. Did you watch  the Alabama pro day last night? I swear, Landon Dickerson looked like a beer league softball player.

I didn't but he scares me w/his injury history. Also not sure he fits this OL scheme

On 3/21/2021 at 6:56 AM, maury77 said:

Rashawn Slater - I think Slater is an example of how much draft media has fallen to groupthink this year. I've watched the Ohio State tape (aka the Chase Young game) and the Stanford tape. He's really smart, mobile, good hand placement, good anchor, but there is no way in hell he is better than Sewell (despite what Daniel Jeremiah thinks). He doesn't have the elite length that you want on the outside and you can see him get beat a couple of times on inside moves in the Stanford game. For the Jets scheme, I think Slater would be a fantastic fit as an IOL, but I think he may struggle at tackle in the NFL. 

My plan in taking Slater would be that he starts at RG.  Perhaps he grows into the RT spot at some point but at a minimum I think he serves as a starting OG and backs up multiple other spots on the line.  He's played everywhere... OT, OG, and even some C.

Similar to Vera-Tucker, the flexibility is great.  It helps the depth planning on the whole line.

• Upvote 2

Would be happy with any of Vera-Tucker, Teven Jenkins, Creed Humphrey or Alex Leatherwood within the Top 34.  Vera-Tucker would have to be 23.  Teven Jenkins and Humphrey would be great value at 34.  Leatherwood is kinda my 4th choice there.  (I'm assuming Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, etc. are gone by our second pick in Round 1.)

• Upvote 1

Teven Jenkins - I think he may have gotten hurt in that video because he just disappeared at some point. From what I did see, I can understand the allure for some. He's really strong, he's nasty and he's got good hands in the run game. But he is a substantially worse athlete than some of the other guys I've seen this year. He's top heavy and you can see him struggling with speed rushers up the arc. I think his best fit is going to be guard in a  gap scheme and I think he's a bad fit for the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/24/2021 at 3:52 PM, jetstream23 said:

My plan in taking Slater would be that he starts at RG.  Perhaps he grows into the RT spot at some point but at a minimum I think he serves as a starting OG and backs up multiple other spots on the line.  He's played everywhere... OT, OG, and even some C.

Similar to Vera-Tucker, the flexibility is great.  It helps the depth planning on the whole line.

Slater would immediately start over Fant.  It’s Fant who would get kicked inside to RG

1 hour ago, Suffering since 77 said:

Anyone like Spencer Brown ( RT ) as a later round pick ( 3rd-4th round )? Think he might fit our needs. I think he's a riser. I'm sure someone brought him up already.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm a fan of his as well as Dillon Radunz. This is a really deep class so I think the 3rd round is a safe bet where we'll target an OL if not earlier

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm a fan of his as well as Dillon Radunz. This is a really deep class so I think the 3rd round is a safe bet where we'll target an OL if not earlier

Another guy to seriously watch for us I believe is Quinn Meinerz, a C/G. With the new blocking scheme though, some of the guys we may like/draft may turn out to be surprises.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I really think as much as we want to hit OL early, Douglas makes his money and shows his skills here by taking advatange of this very deep class and waiting till 3rd round to hit OL. 

personally dislike it but I could see him going for CB Newsome and an Edge with 23/34.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, maury77 said:

Elijah Vera Tucker - A lot of projecting with him because he's going to play inside in the NFL and his 2020 tape is at tackle. In the Utah game he was struggling with his hand placement and reaction off the snap in the 1st quarter, but started to improve. Hands appeared generally sound after that. Really good anchor that will serve him well on the inside. He's not the athlete that Slater is on tape and he has a tendency to overextend and reach on the 2nd level. He's good, but I don't see anything "elite" on film. 

I was looking into him a little more and I feel like I'm seeing a similar thing. He holds his ground pretty well, but I don't see him being a mauler in the run game. Maybe it's just me. I mean he'd still be an obvious upgrade to what we have, but I wonder if he's being slightly overhyped.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Another guy to seriously watch for us I believe is Quinn Meinerz, a C/G. With the new blocking scheme though, some of the guys we may like/draft may turn out to be surprises.

Agreed. Plus athlete and had a great senior bowl and has some positional versatility, although I have no idea if he's a good center or not. I also am intrigued with Spencer Brown. Super athletic and has a bit of a mean streak finishing blocks out.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, jetstream23 said:

Would be happy with any of Vera-Tucker, Teven Jenkins, Creed Humphrey or Alex Leatherwood within the Top 34.  Vera-Tucker would have to be 23.  Teven Jenkins and Humphrey would be great value at 34.  Leatherwood is kinda my 4th choice there.  (I'm assuming Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, etc. are gone by our second pick in Round 1.)

Creed Humphrey is a guy I always see ranked high but his profile reads more as a mauler as opposed to the agile guys sought in a wide zone blocking scheme?  Does he fit the offense we're going to run?