Offensive lineman we might be targeting

Rhg1084

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

People in the Jets FO are coming away pretty convinced that OL will be the direction the Jets will* go to with their second 1st round pick pick. The sentiment is that Douglas is sincere about wanting to protect Wilson the way he had hoped to protect Sam. Very good chance they trade up, with the LAC (#13), MIN (#14), LV (#17), WAS (#19), CHI (#20), IND (#21), and TEN (#22) all in the market for OL. Jets wanted #8 from Carolina in the Sam trade, both teams haven't ruled out further discussions for that pick. #12 seems like a spot that could make sense with PHI in a full-blown rebuild and the obvious front office ties. 

Kind of weird to trade up for an OL. I guess Slater or Vera-Tucker would make sense since they can play guard off the bat and left tackle in a pinch but the rest of the first round of this draft class is quite a cluster. Slater I could see taking a tumble if he trades up. Those are the only two I’d see making sense as high as 12.

Isn’t Fant’s contract more guaranteed now too? Why do that if you’re likely taking a right tackle in the first round (there are a bunch)? So doesn’t it kind of have to someone who can play on the interior, at least this year?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, derp said:

Kind of weird to trade up for an OL. I guess Slater or Vera-Tucker would make sense since they can play guard off the bat and left tackle in a pinch but the rest of the first round of this draft class is quite a cluster. Slater I could see taking a tumble if he trades up. Those are the only two I’d see making sense as high as 12.

Isn’t Fant’s contract more guaranteed now too? Why do that if you’re likely taking a right tackle in the first round (there are a bunch)? So doesn’t it kind of have to someone who can play on the interior, at least this year?

There's a lot of versatility in this class and I think the Jets have no problem taking a guy who plays tackle and plugging him in at G either short-term or long-term. 

There seems to be a belief that there will be a huge run on OL and that guys are going to go earlier than the media projects. Stone Forsythe is just one of many guys who are going to go higher than anticipated

• Sympathy 1

Just now, football guy said:

There's a lot of versatility in this class and I think the Jets have no problem taking a guy who plays tackle and plugging him in at G either short-term or long-term. 

There seems to be a belief that there will be a huge run on OL and that guys are going to go earlier than the media projects. Stone Forsythe is just one of many guys who are going to go higher than anticipated

With that said I agree: why trade up for an OL when its such a big position group? Only reason I can see it is if the Jets have a specific guy in mind, and I'm not sure who that guy is. 

Sounds like Kyle Pitts > OL > Pass Rush > WR > CB but this is all conjecture without a finalized board. The feeling of those in the FO is that they won't be able to get Pitts even if they trade up, but the next position group they will realistically look to attack in round 1 is OL. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

With that said I agree: why trade up for an OL when its such a big position group? Only reason I can see it is if the Jets have a specific guy in mind, and I'm not sure who that guy is. 

Sounds like Kyle Pitts > OL > Pass Rush > WR > CB but this is all conjecture without a finalized board. The feeling of those in the FO is that they won't be able to get Pitts even if they trade up, but the next position group they will realistically look to attack in round 1 is OL. 

That makes more sense. Slater would be awesome if he slides that for but I’d be surprised.

I do think several guys are underrated. The roster construction at the position is kind of weird currently and I feel like they could add iOL’s or a tackle to take over for Fant in a year on day two or even early day three. Multiple picks in that range would be awesome.

The TE position needs to be addressed IMO - no consistent producer and only Wesco on the roster after this year. Any favorites in the no Pitts scenario?

1 hour ago, football guy said:

People in the Jets FO are coming away pretty convinced that OL will be the direction the Jets will* go to with their second 1st round pick pick. The sentiment is that Douglas is sincere about wanting to protect Wilson the way he had hoped to protect Sam. Very good chance they trade up, with the LAC (#13), MIN (#14), LV (#17), WAS (#19), CHI (#20), IND (#21), and TEN (#22) all in the market for OL. Jets wanted #8 from Carolina in the Sam trade, both teams haven't ruled out further discussions for that pick. #12 seems like a spot that could make sense with PHI in a full-blown rebuild and the obvious front office ties. 

I like trying to protect Wilson as i think we can really help him out with a great running game and pass protection, however Trading up to 12 to take a guy in a draft thats rich with OL seems a little too aggressive to me. 

Edit: just saw you agreed in a later post.  

Still alot of needs to address, unless its a big time prospect you really like (ala Pitts) i just dont see the need to trade up. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't see Walker Little on the list. I think he deserves consideration.

Frankly, I think JD needs to abandon his best value draft pick strategy, take the bull by the horns and draft 3 O lineman and RB like Javonte Williams because Job #1 is the development of Wilson. He can not be developed without protecting him.  High caliber O linemen and a running game is job #1 in protecting and developing Wilson. At this point, JD has to consciously decide to screw the rest of the team and go all in on building the O line and running game.  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I didn't see Walker Little on the list. I think he deserves consideration.

Frankly, I think JD needs to abandon his best value draft pick strategy, take the bull by the horns and draft 3 O lineman and RB like Javonte Williams because Job #1 is the development of Wilson. He can not be developed without protecting him.  High caliber O linemen and a running game is job #1 in protecting and developing Wilson. At this point, JD has to consciously decide to screw the rest of the team and go all in on building the O line and running game.  

Agree with this 100%. He can trade up or down but OL is so critical you ignore everything else. We have 11 picks next year for CB Edge, whatever

• Upvote 1

If the Jets do in fact trade up high enough, I would think Slater is a guy they'd strongly consider. 

• Daniel Jeremiah has pounded the table for this guy, as he did Mekhi last year. We all know the Douglas-Jeremiah friendship by now. 
  • Slater's trainer is Duke Manyweather. If the name rings a bell, its because he trains both Becton and Fant. 
  • Slater is a perfect fit for the scheme the Jets are implementing, and has the most upside in the class as a G. He'd be a day 1 starter and potential All-Pro at RG. 
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, football guy said:

If the Jets do in fact trade up high enough, I would think Slater is a guy they'd strongly consider. 

• Daniel Jeremiah has pounded the table for this guy, as he did Mekhi last year. We all know the Douglas-Jeremiah friendship by now. 
  • Slater's trainer is Duke Manyweather. If the name rings a bell, its because he trains both Becton and Fant. 
  • Slater is a perfect fit for the scheme the Jets are implementing, and has the most upside in the class as a G. He'd be a day 1 starter and potential All-Pro at RG. 

Slater also probably has the feet to step in at left tackle when Becton misses snaps, which he’s shown a propensity to do. I’d be all for a move up to get Slater. Pitts is the dream but likely out of reach.

Any chance the Jets would be interested in Sewell if he slides? Lost steam heading into the offseason and then didn’t have a great Pro Day. Didn’t he come into college as a guard? Not great arm length either.

Maybe not the most likely scenario but certainly seems in play Slater goes above Sewell and I wonder if Vera-Tucker being much cleaner in a draft where a lot of things are muddy pushes him over Sewell too. Doesn’t seem crazy Sewell would be the surprise tumble into the mid teens.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

douglas doesn't seem like the type to burn that much draft capital to move up to take an OL when he can probably get someone he likes at 23.  Slater probably doesn't make it out of the top 14 or so anyway.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

how about Landon Dickerson, could he be the pick at 23? Looks like a quiton nelson type prospect at C, will he be ready for week 1?

I don’t think Dickerson is remotely a Nelson type prospect and I’m not sure he’s a scheme fit either. Plus the injury. I’d think based on measurables Humphrey and Meinerz are the center prospects who scheme fit or they can try to develop a late round guy - I think several might fit (Stanford, Pitt, and Kentucky guys off the top of my head).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t think Dickerson is remotely a Nelson type prospect and I’m not sure he’s a scheme fit either. Plus the injury. I’d think based on measurables Humphrey and Meinerz are the center prospects who scheme fit or they can try to develop a late round guy - I think several might fit (Stanford, Pitt, and Kentucky guys off the top of my head).

Hmm dickerson seems like a much more special pure athlete than Humphrey to me. I'm almost certain hed be the #1 C off the board if not for the ACL

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Hmm dickerson seems like a much more special pure athlete than Humphrey to me. I'm almost certain hed be the #1 C off the board if not for the ACL

Curious what you’ve looked at that makes you say that, always open to having my mind changed. I didn’t see him get into space much, consensus seems to be that he’s a better gap fit.

Felt the same way about Humphrey but athletic testing showed he’s got movement skills he didn’t have the opportunity to display at Oklahoma. We don’t have the benefit of testing on Dickerson so maybe it’s there and I didn’t see it. Not like I’ve taken a crazy deep dive.

The injuries are certainly a concern. Nelson’s a freak, don’t think anybody in this draft should be compared to him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Curious what you’ve looked at that makes you say that, always open to having my mind changed. I didn’t see him get into space much, consensus seems to be that he’s a better gap fit.

Felt the same way about Humphrey but athletic testing showed he’s got movement skills he didn’t have the opportunity to display at Oklahoma. We don’t have the benefit of testing on Dickerson so maybe it’s there and I didn’t see it. Not like I’ve taken a crazy deep dive.

The injuries are certainly a concern. Nelson’s a freak, don’t think anybody in this draft should be compared to him.

Im not an expert either. But Dickerson is bigger and on the youtube breakdowns I've seen is throwing people around like Becton 

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Im not an expert either. But Dickerson is bigger and on the youtube breakdowns I've seen is throwing people around like Becton 

I guess to me bigger and throwing people around is probably right but doesn’t equate with pure athleticism and more importantly isn’t what they’re going to be looking for running outside zone.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I guess to me bigger and throwing people around is probably right but doesn’t equate with pure athleticism and more importantly isn’t what they’re going to be looking for running outside zone.

Doesn't bama run a zone scheme? a 6'6 330 pound dude doing a cartwheel off acl injury is pretty impressive athletically! I'd be happy with either guy

A center to me is an extension of the QB and having a rock to grow with Wilson would be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Doesn't bama run a zone scheme? a 6'6 330 pound dude doing a cartwheel off acl injury is pretty impressive athletically! I'd be happy with either guy

A center to me is an extension of the QB and having a rock to grow with Wilson would be awesome. 

I think they run some zone but I don't think it's their primary. He's definitely an athletic human but I don't think it shows up visually and again the injuries are concerning. Agree a center would be good, and Dickerson is a good prospect - I just think it's square peg, round hole. Maybe Douglas feels differently.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:27 PM, football guy said:

i agree makes sense to trade out some of that future capital for a top half R1 today.
the covid year works in favor of making a lot of prospects look better, with less direct observation, you could be buying them too high. better quality over quantity this year at least.

The Jenkins/Vera-Tucker types would genuinely be perfect. Let them work at guard for a year and if they show enough they can be long term options at Right Tackle. Fill the most pressing need now and maybe the more valuable need later. 

They’d definitely be my favoured targets of the guys we’re constantly being linked with who will realistically fall.

There’s a ton of highly talented boom/bust guys too that should go later on. There’s a lot of depth here and we can’t just take the one guy with the amount of picks we have. We really f*cked up not getting a second WR last year and can’t make the same mistake on the line.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jago said:

i agree makes sense to trade out some of that future capital for a top half R1 today.
the covid year works in favor of making a lot of prospects look better, with less direct observation, you could be buying them too high. better quality over quantity this year at least.

I disagree. This is the year to go quantity because there is a lot less information to go on (games, combine, etc.). Take a bunch of shots and hope they pan out. Plus just like last year at the very least a lot of picks adds better depth. Next year go for quality with a full season and combine. Hopefully the team depth will be much better and we can target key pieces. 

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Hadn't heard of Drew Dalman before the below Brandon Thorn tweets - but if BT likes him thats good enough for me! 

Like that he is bullish on this class - really hope we exit day 2 with two OL

mentioned him earlier as someone I was looking at in the later rounds at C. If we don't get Humphries I am all for Dalman/Morrissey. 

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Hadn't heard of Drew Dalman before the below Brandon Thorn tweets - but if BT likes him thats good enough for me! 

Like that he is bullish on this class - really hope we exit day 2 with two OL

Dalman is a nice, interesting prospect. The Jets can definitely work on building their OL without spending crazy early capital. It’s a nice class, and the zone guys seem to go a little lower anyway.

16 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I disagree. This is the year to go quantity because there is a lot less information to go on (games, combine, etc.). Take a bunch of shots and hope they pan out. Plus just like last year at the very least a lot of picks adds better depth. Next year go for quality with a full season and combine. Hopefully the team depth will be much better and we can target key pieces. 

i can honestly see both sides of the debate. my idea was trade up today to secure reliable talent and when next year kicks in you'll have more data to search the next levels with better evaluations. of course depends on depth at positions of need in a given year etc.. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:54 AM, derp said:

Fant needs to be moved inside to Guard

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So why do the jets not want creed humphrey.  10 ras score, experienced, big school.  He checks so many boxes as far as being a long term mangold type center.

Dont get me wrong I'd have no problem taking him, but when I watch the tape I dont see the athleticism. I'm sure that's scheme related, but he was always in a phone booth....at least the games I watched. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So why do the jets not want creed humphrey.  10 ras score, experienced, big school.  He checks so many boxes as far as being a long term mangold type center.

I don't think the Jets don't want him, but it's hard to tell where exactly they value him considering he plays a non-premium position

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't think the Jets don't want him, but it's hard to tell where exactly they value him considering he plays a non-premium position

It's also hard to tell because none of us actually work for the front office 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Guard is a premium position but center is not?