..so WORST to FIRST in 2021 ? ?.. we're #7 ~ ~ ~

kelly

Every year, eight teams endeavor to go from worst to first, transforming themselves from bottom feeders to division champs in the space of one season. In 2020, only one team made it -- via the improbable path of winning just four more games. Yes, the Washington Football Team was helped by the chaos that enveloped the NFC East, but they once again showed that it is possible for teams to flip their fates in the NFL in the blink of an eye.

Who will follow Washington's example in 2021? Below, I've ranked all eight last-place teams from 2020, according to their chances of going from worst to first in the coming season.

~ ~ ~ Rank 7 New York Jets

New York Jets

AFC East · 2-14

I could give a better forecast about the Jets' chances if I knew whether or not Sam Darnold was going to remain the starting quarterback in 2021. Darnold struggles with consistency, but I happen to think he can win if the team surrounds him with some productive football players. However, there is much more ahead of GM Joe Douglas and new head coach Robert Saleh beyond forming a plan under center. Regardless of whether or not they keep Darnold or move on and select another QB with the No. 2 overall draft pick, the Jets really need better personnel across the board, especially in the secondary and at the skill positions. There is talent on this roster, as evidenced by the fight the Jets showed in their two wins in 2020. But they have a ways to go before they can make serious noise in the AFC East.

rest of above article

>     Ranking all eight candidates to go worst to first in 2021 NFL season

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's certainly possible with the right moves.  No more Brady, the division is no longer a forgone conclusion.  We really don't know what Buffalo will be next year.

agreed !  ? imho,.. with our gm.. i'm hopin' he can make the  " right moves "   ?  

• Upvote 1

anything is possible but buffalo seems to be the real deal and it's hard to see the patsies staying down assuming things get back to normal with full training camps.  and the patsies won't have to deal with a sore armed superman or poor receivers.  the doltfins?  who knows.  they will play hard in the division but maybe not have enough to beat the rest of the nfl.

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

anything is possible but buffalo seems to be the real deal

Buffalo is done.

They had their 4 year window and it didn't work.  Look at the Jets 2008-2010 and you'll see the similarities from flipping to a rookie QB, to a breath-of-fresh-air head coach, to an overly aggressive GM, it's all there.

Buffalo will be competitive, they will be annoying for sure, but they aren't some lock on the division.  They have to rebuild on the fly and give a max deal to their overrated quarterback.  They're headed to Dallas Cowboyland.

SAR I

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Other than wishful thinking why would they be worse? Solid team and solid leadership, 

A one year winner doesn’t tell me enough about a team.  Teams have good years and follow them with stinkers.  It happens all the time.   Now, if they do it 2 or 3 years in a row than I’ll start buying into them.  

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A one year winner doesn’t tell me enough about a team.  Teams have good years and follow them with stinkers.  It happens all the time.   Now, if they do it 2 or 3 years in a row than I’ll start buying into them.  

They did ok year before too. Two years in a row they improved. Josh Allen has gotten better by leaps every year. Unless they have done bad injury luck they will be a 10-12 win team. Hell, they may have 4-6 divisional wins alone.