Did You Hear This Rumor?

JetNation

Deshaun Watson Jets Rumor

It is rumor season, so let’s embrace it and talk about of a few of them. GreenBean is back and this week he is in Orlando. Lots of reports, so much smoke and mirrors.

A few recent topics…

What to expect from the Robert Saleh coaching hire? Eight first time head coaches for the Jets, will Saleh be any different? There are certainly reasons to be excited with many former players saying good things.

Fullback – Trevon Wesco, can he fill this role in the new offense?

The most important topic of all is Deshaun Watson – is he the Jets next starting quarterback? Everyone seems to like that idea, the disagreement comes over the discussion of what price should the Jets pay. The 2nd overall pick is enormous, will it be enough to get the Watson deal done (along with other compensation)…

Did you hear this rumor about the Jets offer, 3 first round picks, a 3rd rounder and a defensive player not named Quinnen Williams?

The post Did You Hear This Rumor? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/TJG8V_x5fUk

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

houston doesn't want sam.  they'll be taking whatever QB they like the most at 2.  sam should be sold to the highest bidder, replenishing the picks traded for watson.

hot take:  if Quinnen is the dealbreaker in this potential deal, trade him.  he's a d-lineman, they can be found.  25 year old FQB's that want to play for your team don't come around often at all.

i'd go with #2, a 3rd and one of the 1st rounders next year.  that #2 pick is almost priceless, it's a big one.

• Upvote 2

If JD offered that then he offered too much.  The way I first heard it was that that is what THEY were asking for, not what we offered.  I hope I'm right and you're wrong Greenbean because overpaying + the DW cap hit it is just too much for me to stomach.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not everyone likes this idea...

Went 4-12 last year with a bad roster.

His salary and the capital we need to include in any trade wlli hobble our chances of building a healthy roster.

If you want 8-8 every year with some other teams disgruntled albatross . That's your prerogative... but please dont say everyone wants this.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

#2 overall this year, next years 1st round pick (Seattle pick) and Sam for Watson or just walk away.

Thats right in my pocket too. I leave that #2 on the table and say call me after you've finished talking with all the other teams about their lesser assets. 

We're the only team that gives them choice of QB's after TLaw. We're it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, greengeek said:

There’s a difference between a deal and an opening bid. If this is our opening bid, its way too rich. If its the deal, it is uncomfortably rich I would have to learn to live with it.

Agreed. They can suck it with that deal. I hope JD isn't really offering that; 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

I hold firm on two 1’s. NOT three. If they can get it done- awesome!! Watson to be clear IS my first choice. Because this team has so many needs, trading the 2 overall is my second choice. Get a huge haul and build the team from the ground up. Drafting Wilson @ 2 would be my third choice. 

This. I am really hoping this is how JD sees it too. We are in the power seat. Not the other way around. Don't go groveling to thieves.v Those losers in the Texans org made this bed. Let's offer them a way out of the hole. Not a way to get to the top of the mountain. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

houston doesn't want sam.  they'll be taking whatever QB they like the most at 2.  sam should be sold to the highest bidder, replenishing the picks traded for watson.

hot take:  if Quinnen is the dealbreaker in this potential deal, trade him.  he's a d-lineman, they can be found.  25 year old FQB's that want to play for your team don't come around often at all.

i'd go with #2, a 3rd and one of the 1st rounders next year.  that #2 pick is almost priceless, it's a big one.

Almost priceless. I like that. And we have not had an asset this valuable since Parcells which is crazy to realize. With all of our sucking we havn't been this high up in the draft order. Treat it that way.

54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If you want 8-8 every year with some other teams disgruntled albatross . That's your prerogative... but please dont say everyone wants this.

Thankfully not many and I would guess no GM thinks having a top 5, 25 year old QB is an albatross.  

• Upvote 1

Maybe #2 and offering to take back a bad contract or two would be a good opening offer.......Or offering Mims to sweeten the deal?
That would be priceless ... trade Mosley and is mega deal ... only to have Mosley turn into the beast we saw for 3 quarters while DW continues to lose with a sub par roster around him...

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

That would be priceless ... trade Mosley and is mega deal ... only to have Mosley turn into the beast we saw for 3 quarters while DW continues to lose with a sub par roster around him... emoji23.png

You have my offer backwards. We take on a bad contract from Houston..... not sending our bad contracts to them

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

4-12 .. when was the last time Brady went 4-12?

When did Brady ever play on a team that was as weak and as poorly coached as the Texans?

You think Watson, the NFLs yardage leader, with 33 TDs and only 7 INTs for the Texans last year couldn't win with those SB winning Pats teams?  

Blaming Watson for the Texans 4-12 record is wrong

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

... at any price ????

At any price is what youre saying to justify turning away from the deal.  No one has said at any price.  Two or three 1s to get a 25 year old, a top of the NFL QB, especially if you will have to use a 1st round pick on a QB isnt a big deal for a guarantee

• Upvote 1

At any price is what youre saying to justify turning away from the deal.  No one has said at any price.  Two or three 1s to get a 25 year old, a top of the NFL QB, especially if you will have to use a 1st round pick on a QB isnt a big deal for a guarantee
It's not 2 or 3 1s ... one of them the Number 2 ! ... it's that plus 30mill a year for a guy that went 4-12 last year.

• Sympathy 1

When did Brady ever play on a team that was as weak and as poorly coached as the Texans?
You think Watson, the NFLs yardage leader, with 33 TDs and only 7 INTs for the Texans last year couldn't win with those SB winning Pats teams?  
Blaming Watson for the Texans 4-12 record is wrong
No ... I think he could not win with the jets current roster. He will be in the same situation as the Texans last year ... like moving from vomit to sh*t.

And we won't be able to build with him on the team at his current cost. We simply have TOO MANY HOLES TO FILL.

We have very few quality starters under contract.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

We already are taking on a bad contract in Watson... why on earth take more ???

Watson contract is wayyyy better than other contracts being given out. Locks him up until’25 and averages $33.6 mil over the life of the contract on the Texans cap. It may be better than that for the Jets since his signing bonus was paid by Texans. Sams  5th year will alone be $25 mil. 

• Upvote 2

Watson contract is wayyyy better than other contracts being given out. Locks him up until’25 and averages $33.6 mil over the life of the contract on the Texans cap. It may be better than that for the Jets since his signing bonus was paid by Texans. Sams  5th year will alone be $25 mil. 
I would love this if we could sign him to a 7 year deal at 30mil ... but that ain't happening.

No one is saying pay Darnold 25 mill any year... with the way he has performed. I'd draft a new guy and let he and Sam compete.

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

It's not 2 or 3 1s ... one of them the Number 2 ! ... it's that plus 30mill a year for a guy that went 4-12 last year.

Why should I care?  I'm throwing a #2 on a QB, so its as I said, one or 2 extra picks for a guaranteed top QB, not a hope for one.  If I use those picks I go to bed and pray that I come somewhere close to what Watson already is.  

And one more time, Watson didnt go 4-12, the Texans did.  I could make the argument that with a different QB they might be drafting Lawrence.  The dream of having top talent and not have to pay them is interesting.  I dont get that excuse

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

This.  Watson has $146MM and 5 years left on his contract that an acquiring team would inherit.  $29M per year for 5 years is below market for a proven top 10 QB.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why should I care?  I'm throwing a #2 on a QB, so its as I said, one or 2 extra picks for a guaranteed top QB, not a hope for one.  If I use those picks I go to bed and pray that I come somewhere close to what Watson already is.  

And one more time, Watson didnt go 4-12, the Texans did.  I could make the argument that with a different QB they might be drafting Lawrence.  The dream of having top talent and not have to pay them is interesting.  I dont get that excuse

Yup.  Texans went 4-12.  But they also scored more points in 2020, without DeAndre Hopkins, than they did in 2019.  Watson was not the reason they were 4-12.  Their defense gave up almost 80 more points than the 2019 team and ~150 more than 2018.  With solid defenses, Watson was good enough to win two Division Titles and one playoff game.  In 3 seasons he was healthy, the Texans won two Divisions.  But nobody ever mentions the Division Titles and playoff appearance.  But 4-12 gets repeated ad infinitum.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

29 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I would love this if we could sign him to a 7 year deal at 30mil ... but that ain't happening.

Watson contract breakdown if cut or traded. DM(dead $) CS(cap savings). 
Year Cut June 1 Cut Trade June 1 Trade
2021 DM $32,140,000 $15,940,000 $21,600,000 $5,400,000
CS ($16,200,000) $0 ($5,660,000) $10,540,000
2022 DM $51,200,000 $40,400,000 $16,200,000 $5,400,000
CS ($10,800,000) $0 $24,200,000 $35,000,000
2023 DM $10,800,000 $5,400,000 $10,800,000 $5,400,000
CS $31,600,000 $37,000,000 $31,600,000 $37,000,000
2024 DM $5,400,000 $5,400,000 $5,400,000 $5,400,000
CS $32,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000
2025 DM $0 $0 $0 $0
CS $32,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000

$32,000,000

Houston could trade Watson post June 1 designation, gain $5 mil in cap space and get 3 firsts. They could get out of cap hell quickly. Jets have a ton of cap space but need a marquee player to attract them. Wilson/Fields doesn’t get it done.

Source: https://overthecap.com/contract-constructor/

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1