Did You Hear This Rumor?

JetNation

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

I hold firm on two 1’s. NOT three. If they can get it done- awesome!! Watson to be clear IS my first choice. Because this team has so many needs, trading the 2 overall is my second choice. Get a huge haul and build the team from the ground up. Drafting Wilson @ 2 would be my third choice. 

Our #2 should should be considered 2 1st round picks. They can choose from either Wilson or Fields. 

Then give them another 1st round pick and they’re essentially getting 3 1st rounders. I’ll throw in a 2nd and a 3rd. 

I just don’t see him going to Miami. Imagine Houston trading their star QB for their former 1st round pick. 

I am worried about the Panthers though. If they’re offering 3 1st round picks AND Christian McCaffrey then that’s a helluva deal. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.  Watson has $146MM and 5 years left on his contract that an acquiring team would inherit.  $29M per year for 5 years is below market for a proven top 10 QB.

Yup.  Texans went 4-12.  But they also scored more points in 2020, without DeAndre Hopkins, than they did in 2019.  Watson was not the reason they were 4-12.  Their defense gave up almost 80 more points than the 2019 team and ~150 more than 2018.  With solid defenses, Watson was good enough to win two Division Titles and one playoff game.  In 3 seasons he was healthy, the Texans won two Divisions.  But nobody ever mentions the Division Titles and playoff appearance.  But 4-12 gets repeated ad infinitum.

Watson could be the key in unlocking Mims potential. On last year’s Jet team Perriman would have had a much better year if Watson was the QB. Sam rarely looked to Perriman. He would have been similar to Fuller production with Watson. 
If we did get Watson I would not be adverse to Perriman coming back on a 1 yr. deal. He’d probably be good with that knowing Watson gets him an extra $2-3 mil/yr. on his next deal

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:
Watson contract breakdown if cut or traded. DM(dead $) CS(cap savings). 
Year Cut June 1 Cut Trade June 1 Trade
2021 DM $32,140,000 $15,940,000 $21,600,000 $5,400,000
CS ($16,200,000) $0 ($5,660,000) $10,540,000
2022 DM $51,200,000 $40,400,000 $16,200,000 $5,400,000
CS ($10,800,000) $0 $24,200,000 $35,000,000
2023 DM $10,800,000 $5,400,000 $10,800,000 $5,400,000
CS $31,600,000 $37,000,000 $31,600,000 $37,000,000
2024 DM $5,400,000 $5,400,000 $5,400,000 $5,400,000
CS $32,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000
2025 DM $0 $0 $0 $0
CS $32,000,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000

$32,000,000

Houston could trade Watson post June 1 designation, gain $5 mil in cap space and get 3 firsts. They could get out of cap hell quickly. Jets have a ton of cap space but need a marquee player to attract them. Wilson/Fields doesn’t get it done.

Source: https://overthecap.com/contract-constructor/

I would add that Jets could renegotiate Watson contract to move some money around in future years to free up cap space. So many ways to work a Watson trade. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

Deshaun Watson Jets Rumor

It is rumor season, so let’s embrace it and talk about of a few of them. GreenBean is back and this week he is in Orlando. Lots of reports, so much smoke and mirrors.

A few recent topics…

What to expect from the Robert Saleh coaching hire? Eight first time head coaches for the Jets, will Saleh be any different? There are certainly reasons to be excited with many former players saying good things.

Fullback – Trevon Wesco, can he fill this role in the new offense?

The most important topic of all is Deshaun Watson – is he the Jets next starting quarterback? Everyone seems to like that idea, the disagreement comes over the discussion of what price should the Jets pay. The 2nd overall pick is enormous, will it be enough to get the Watson deal done (along with other compensation)…

Did you hear this rumor about the Jets offer, 3 first round picks, a 3rd rounder and a defensive player not named Quinnen Williams?

The post Did You Hear This Rumor? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/TJG8V_x5fUk

Click here to read the full story...

Great stuff. Good luck with the Roller Coaster tour. 1) Agree on Saleh...seems to be a guy that is a total student of all 3 phases of the game. Also sounds like he's a guy that looks at his players as true "partners." One thing I would disagree with you on was putting Walt Michaels in the group of all the 1st time coaches. I'd rank him#2 on our coaches list, behind only Weeb. Still think firing Walt cost us at least one trip to the Super Bowl. 2) Wesco seems to be a natural fit for that spot. I remember the day he was picked, and Baldy did a video. He loved the pick, but what really stood out to me in that clip was when he mentioned that when he talked to the WVU H.C about Wesco, he told him he was his best player. That's from a guy who puts multiple players into the NFL every year. 3) That offer is way too rich for my blood.

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Watson could be the key in unlocking Mims potential. On last year’s Jet team Perriman would have had a much better year if Watson was the QB. Sam rarely looked to Perriman. He would have been similar to Fuller production with Watson. 
If we did get Watson I would not be adverse to Perriman coming back on a 1 yr. deal. He’d probably be good with that knowing Watson gets him an extra $2-3 mil/yr. on his next deal

I am not as high on Perriman as you are.  To me, the guy who was not targeted nearly enough last year was Mims.  He got open.  A lot.  But Sam either never looked his way, or many times appeared to be looking towards him but never pulled the trigger.  I really think Perriman is what he is at this point.  5 years into his career, he has had one good really good stretch in 2019, but he has never caught more than 40 passes.  He is a replaceable 4/5 WR in my view.  I hope we upgrade from him.

I also do not think Watson is happening.  We have to explore it, and it makes for great message board discussion in the off-season.  But I don't think it happens.  Fields. Wilson or Sam.  One of them will likely be our QB next season.  Of those 3, my preferenc is Fields.  But what do I know.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Great stuff. Good luck with the Roller Coaster tour. 1) Agree on Saleh...seems to be a guy that is a total student of all 3 phases of the game. Also sounds like he's a guy that looks at his players as true "partners." One thing I would disagree with you on was putting Walt Michaels in the group of all the 1st time coaches. I'd rank him#2 on our coaches list, behind only Weeb. Still think firing Walt cost us at least one trip to the Super Bowl. 2) Wesco seems to be a natural fit for that spot. I remember the day he was picked, and Baldy did a video. He loved the pick, but what really stood out to me in that clip was when he mentioned that when he talked to the WVU H.C about Wesco, he told him he was his best player. That's from a guy who puts multiple players into the NFL every year. 3) That offer is way too rich for my blood.

The Walt Michaels debacle was a bad moment for the Jets. i agree that he was going to be able to parlay those years into success but alas, not to be. 

I'm bullish on Wesco and hope the new staff is as well. Gase had literally no idea what he was doing and was in way over his head. The fact that he didn't bring in coaches that could help with the QB and Offense only exacerbated that. So many of our players are better than they've looked with Wesco being at the top imo. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

#2 overall this year, next years 1st round pick (Seattle pick) and Sam for Watson or just walk away.

You mean the next years #1 pick will be the Seattle pick?  So, this years #2, next years Seattle pick, and Darnold?

If that is what you mean, I can go for that.  If you mean that we give both first round picks next year, then I would say no.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not as high on Perriman as you are.  To me, the guy who was not targeted nearly enough last year was Mims.  He got open.  A lot.  But Sam either never looked his way, or many times appeared to be looking towards him but never pulled the trigger.  I really think Perriman is what he is at this point.  5 years into his career, he has had one good really good stretch in 2019, but he has never caught more than 40 passes.  He is a replaceable 4/5 WR in my view.  I hope we upgrade from him.

I also do not think Watson is happening.  We have to explore it, and it makes for great message board discussion in the off-season.  But I don't think it happens.  Fields. Wilson or Sam.  One of them will likely be our QB next season.  Of those 3, my preferenc is Fields.  But what do I know.

Perriman was able to stretch defenses and got behind them often when the route was called. Sam either didn’t have the time or confidence to make the throw. I agree Mims didn’t get a lot of attention. I also think he was running very basic routes (no camp) which didn’t allow for much separation. Mostly 50/50 balls. Crowder- Barrios-TE  saw the bulk of the throws because they were quick routes or they’d sit down in zone. 

AFA Watson, I believe he will be traded before FA begins. Jets stand a better chance as any if JD is aggressive. Fortunately his offer doesn’t need to break the bank compared to others. Panthers would need to include McCaffrey, #8 & 2 additional #1’s

Miami #1, #18 and 2 additional #1 picks & Tua. This is due to #3 pick was originally Texans pick. They would need to put the screws to Miami for the Optics alone.

IMHO

Edited by 32EBoozer

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:
2025 DM $0 $0 $0 $0

$32,000,000

Houston could trade Watson post June 1 designation, gain $5 mil in cap space and get 3 firsts. They could get out of cap hell quickly. Jets have a ton of cap space but need a marquee player to attract them. Wilson/Fields doesn’t get it done.

I get this .. I guess it all comes down to your evaluation of Watson ... i'm not a believer. ... not at that cost.(picks) plus mega contract. There  are plenty of examples of Stat compilers that never won.

Edited by Dunnie

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

When did Brady ever play on a team that was as weak and as poorly coached as the Texans?

You think Watson, the NFLs yardage leader, with 33 TDs and only 7 INTs for the Texans last year couldn't win with those SB winning Pats teams?  

Blaming Watson for the Texans 4-12 record is wrong

anointing a 4-12 qb as the second coming is equally as wrong.

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Is that based on OSU Big 10 schedule vs. BYU schedule or Mechanics, vision, decision making, toughness or arm strength ?

I see definite positives in Fields and Wilson ... and think both have a shot to be very good ... Fields has perhaps more untapped talent ... Wilson has more polished skills and a lot of talent.  I prefer the mechanics of Wilson.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Texans went 4-12.  But they also scored more points in 2020, without DeAndre Hopkins, than they did in 2019.  Watson was not the reason they were 4-12.  Their defense gave up almost 80 more points than the 2019 team and ~150 more than 2018.  With solid defenses, Watson was good enough to win two Division Titles and one playoff game.  In 3 seasons he was healthy, the Texans won two Divisions.  But nobody ever mentions the Division Titles and playoff appearance.  But 4-12 gets repeated ad infinitum.

To simply say that he went 4-12, to ignore the mess Houston became in 2020, the firing of O'Brien after he gave away Hopkins and forget what Watson has been and accomplished before 2020 is ridiculous.  Brady never went 4-12?  So, the Pats were never the 2020 Texans and why does Watson need to perform like the GOAT to justify the trade?  Theres a whole lot of room between GOAT and Darnold

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

And to keep repeating the 4-12 as if it defines Watson and Watsons career up to now is kind of ridiculous and quite frankly says youre missing the point of football as a team sport with golf

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

I feel the same exact way. My preference is Fields over Wilson. But what do I know! I've seen all these threads about his stock falling and Wilson being the #2 QB behind TL. Even some suggesting that there are teams out there that have Wilson ahead of TL. A lot of Jet fans just can't get over the fact that Fields played for OSU. But to me, I gotta look at the whole body of work and Fields edges out Wilson, especially with the multiple surgeries Wilson had on his shoulders and hand. 

As far as what direction the Jets go to address the QB position. I think JD would be a FOOL not to pursue Watson. I think he has to at least do his due diligence to see how low he can get the price negotiated down to. And I'm sure he has a ceiling for what he is willing to give- which players, how much draft capital etc. 

IMO- 1. Darnold is done with the Jets. I know he's only 23 but the damage is done and he needs to go resurrect his career elsewhere. His contract status and pending FA doesn't help. 2. The Watson deal is highly unlikely because Houston WILL try to drag it out to get the best deal they can and I think it will end up being just too rich for JD. 3. JD has already zeroed in on a potential FQB prospect to take at #2 and the Jets are leaning that way. Rumor seems to be that its Wilson but JD has been really good at keeping his true intentions quiet so nobody really knows.     

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Is that based on OSU Big 10 schedule vs. BYU schedule or Mechanics, vision, decision making, toughness or arm strength ?

NFL QBs are evovling towards being elite athletes who can also throw.  This is what I see in Fields as.  He can make plays with his legs, which I think eases his transition to the NFL.  He will be able to be productive while still learning to be an NFL passer.  In addition, he is accurate, has an NFL caliber arm and throws a nice deep ball.     Taking Watson out of the equation, I would really like to see us take one of Fields/Wilson at 2. 

If JD/Saleh/Lafluer prefer Wilson, I would be okay with that.  Willing to trust their judgement more than some middle aged insurance guy (me). 

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Deshaun Watson Jets Rumor

It is rumor season, so let’s embrace it and talk about of a few of them. GreenBean is back and this week he is in Orlando. Lots of reports, so much smoke and mirrors.

A few recent topics…

What to expect from the Robert Saleh coaching hire? Eight first time head coaches for the Jets, will Saleh be any different? There are certainly reasons to be excited with many former players saying good things.

Fullback – Trevon Wesco, can he fill this role in the new offense?

The most important topic of all is Deshaun Watson – is he the Jets next starting quarterback? Everyone seems to like that idea, the disagreement comes over the discussion of what price should the Jets pay. The 2nd overall pick is enormous, will it be enough to get the Watson deal done (along with other compensation)…

Did you hear this rumor about the Jets offer, 3 first round picks, a 3rd rounder and a defensive player not named Quinnen Williams?

The post Did You Hear This Rumor? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/TJG8V_x5fUk

Click here to read the full story...

I am not a fan of trading for Watson at all. First I think we will be a better team with a rookie QB on the rookie deal-Watson trade in addition to crippling the draft value we have it has gigantic opportunity cost down the road starting in 2022

Second I am not convinced that Watson is a 10 year Top 10 QB like so many here think. He had big numbers but he played much of the season against soft zones because their defense was so bad. Despite all the yardage the Texans were only 19th in points scored. Plus they were 4-12 not a lot of evidence of him elevating the team. If he comes to a depleted Jets team and then getting him depletes us even more how are we expecting to be competitive? Also he has long term injury concerns and weak armed QBs tend to fall off the map at some point in his career.

Also consider that 8 of the 13 reams in the last 9 susperbowls that did not have Brady on them had a QB on a rookie contract.

Draft Wilson or Fields move on.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

#2 overall this year, next years 1st round pick (Seattle pick) and Sam for Watson or just walk away.

Exactly.  The ceiling for my Watson offer is both of our 2021 first rounders and one 2022 first rounder.  

If you listened to John McClain on Moose & Maggie the other day, he said it’s basically the “Jets or bust” for the Texans’ trade partners  because of the second overall pick would guarantee them that QB of their choice outside of Lawrence.  The Jets have such an advantage because of that pick that they would just be bidding against themselves if they start throwing in more picks players.

I don’t think JD, or Ozzie Newsome or Eric DeCosta, would trade a Kings Ransom for Deshaun Watson.

I think Woody Johnson would.  

If Woody gets his way, if he trades away too much of the Jets’ draft capital, it will not work out well, because this team is completely devoid of talent.  And the Jets could be in better shape this year if JD’s 3, 4 and 5 round draft picks looked better than they do.  

NFL QBs are evovling towards being elite athletes who can also throw.  This is what I see in Fields as.  He can make plays with his legs, which I think eases his transition to the NFL.  He will be able to be productive while still learning to be an NFL passer.  In addition, he is accurate, has an NFL caliber arm and throws a nice deep ball.     Taking Watson out of the equation, I would really like to see us take one of Fields/Wilson at 2. 
If JD/Saleh/Lafluer prefer Wilson, I would be okay with that.  Willing to trust their judgement more than some middle aged insurance guy (me). 
So there it is ... I prefer intelligent pocket passers with extreme accuracy and some escapability over dual threat guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I am not a fan of trading for Watson at all. First I think we will be a better team with a rookie QB on the rookie deal-Watson trade in addition to crippling the draft value we have it has gigantic opportunity cost down the road starting in 2022
Second I am not convinced that Watson is a 10 year Top 10 QB like so many here think. He had big numbers but he played much of the season against soft zones because their defense was so bad. Despite all the yardage the Texans were only 19th in points scored. Plus they were 4-12 not a lot of evidence of him elevating the team. If he comes to a depleted Jets team and then getting him depletes us even more how are we expecting to be competitive? Also he has long term injury concerns and weak armed QBs tend to fall off the map at some point in his career.
Also consider that 8 of the 13 reams in the last 9 susperbowls that did not have Brady on them had a QB on a rookie contract.
Draft Wilson or Fields move on.
E x a c t l y. ThIs !!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Forget the fact that wins aren't a QB stat -- why is he a "4-12" QB?

To be clear he's 28-25 as a starter (21-10 in 18-19). Made the playoffs two of his first four years and was beating Mahomes 24-0 on the road two years ago in the divisional round before Mahomes went off.

He's also a three time Pro Bowler at age 25.

He led the NFL in passing last year.

He has 104 TDs in his first four years -- that would rank him 4th in Jets history. He has 14,539 yards in four years -- that would have him 4th in Jets history as well.

He'd instantly be the best player the Jets have had in my lifetime. It's just unfathomable to me that Jets fans, who have essentially never had a real franchise QB are balking at Watson, one of the top five QBs in the league.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:
2025 DM $0 $0 $0 $0

$32,000,000

How can HOU get the draft picks before the draft and still get a post June-1 trade designation.  I think the trade would have to be finalized before then.  

I don't understand the people who want to overpay for watson. no other team can offer what we can besides the dolphins, who can come close. there is no reason to pay some extravagant amount to get him, all we need to do is be able to beat the best offer these other teams can give. otherwise we are bidding against ourselves

The longer this goes on and the dumber the trades get the less I want Watson....the number 2 pick along with a 1st in 2022 and 2023 is plenty....this is the equivalent of 5 1st rounders and still allows us to build a team around Watson rather quickly.  Anything more you move on.

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

To be clear he's 28-25 as a starter (21-10 in 18-19). Made the playoffs two of his first four years and was beating Mahomes 24-0 on the road two years ago in the divisional round before Mahomes went off.

He has 104 TDs in his first four years -- that would rank him 4th in Jets history. He has 14,539 yards in four years -- that would have him 4th in Jets history as well.

He'd instantly be the best player the Jets have had in my lifetime. It's just unfathomable to me that Jets fans, who have essentially never had a real franchise QB are balking at Watson, one of the top five QBs in the league.

There is a much bigger picture than just wanting Watson. There are huge effects on cap draft capital and opportunity cost that must be used as part of an overall picture. You said it yourself (thought I partially disagree) that wins are not a QB stat and getting Watson seriously diminishes our ability to build a team

• Sympathy 1

Not balking .. just dont want to pay the price required at the expense of the rest of the team.

The longer this goes on and the dumber the trades get the less I want Watson....the number 2 pick along with a 1st in 2022 and 2023 is plenty....this is the equivalent of 5 1st rounders and still allows us to build a team around Watson rather quickly.  Anything more you move on.
This is one first rounder too much for me .. Seattle's 1sts is all I'm giving.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There is a much bigger picture than just wanting Watson. There are huge effects on cap draft capital and opportunity cost that must be used as part of an overall picture. You said it yourself (thought I partially disagree) that wins are not a QB stat and getting Watson seriously diminishes our ability to build a team

Not really. We give up three firsts we still have plenty of draft capital and cap space over the next several years -- and we have a franchise QB locked up.

Look, I'm not advocating giving up 4 firsts, three 2nds, Quinnen WIlliams, etc. But he a superstar QB at age 25. These "two firsts, take it or leave it" takes are silly.

How has he fared in the playoffs ? I really have no idea but would like to compare him to Cincinatti's red rocket. Dalton has had years that were similar. Yet ... would you trade 3 ones for him ??? Compiling stats when your team is consistently down by 3 touchdowns doesn't impress me that much.

Not really. We give up three firsts we still have plenty of draft capital and cap space over the next several years -- and we have a franchise QB locked up.
Look, I'm not advocating giving up 4 firsts, three 2nds, Quinnen WIlliams, etc. But he a superstar QB at age 25. These "two firsts, take it or leave it" takes are silly.
It's just that the no 2 overall is worth way more than the avg no1 pick.