What jets domino falls first?

AlexVanDyke

Obviously tons of debates, rumors and scenarios on the qb decision.  Curious what move you see the jets making first.  If the Jets decide to stay with Sam, I would think a trade down is possible before draft but could they wait until draft night too? 

And the real interesting decision is what if the jets decide to move on from Darnold? At first I thought you would move Sam only after you get your qb (after you get Watson or after you draft wilson) but thinking about it further, if the jets decide to move on, could the first domino be a Darnold trade and could we see that soon? 

I guess moving Darnold early all depends on how they value Wilson.  If they see both trading for Watson or drafting Wilson as a better option than Sam,  why keep Sam any longer than we need to.  And if we still have Sam on the roster as we get closer and closer to the draft, does that signal that  we are staying with him? If we like Wilson, I think it would be stupid to not maximize value for Sam as soon as we can rather than later.

Will be interesting to see the first move and what it signals.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

If the Jets  are set on taking a QB at 2, they have to move Sam before the draft otherwise lose all leverage 

So if their wish list order is 1 Watson, 2 Darnold and 3 draft, you would only trade Darnold after you acquire Watson . If Darnold is 3rd on that wishlist,  you move him as soon as you can.  I wonder if trading Darnold could expedite discussions with the Texans.

9 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Obviously tons of debates, rumors and scenarios on the qb decision.  Curious what move you see the jets making first.  If the Jets decide to stay with Sam, I would think a trade down is possible before draft but could they wait until draft night too? 

And the real interesting decision is what if the jets decide to move on from Darnold? At first I thought you would move Sam only after you get your qb (after you get Watson or after you draft wilson) but thinking about it further, if the jets decide to move on, could the first domino be a Darnold trade and could we see that soon? 

I guess moving Darnold early all depends on how they value Wilson.  If they see both trading for Watson or drafting Wilson as a better option than Sam,  why keep Sam any longer than we need to.  And if we still have Sam on the roster as we get closer and closer to the draft, does that signal that  we are staying with him? If we like Wilson, I think it would be stupid to not maximize value for Sam as soon as we can rather than later.

FA will tell you a lot about where we are heading. If overpaying for FA offensive players like Thuney or Robinson, I think Sam is the Qb going forward. If we go Tier 2 or 3 FA, then we are going Qb in draft and gaining extra draft capital & trading Sam. Building team around rookie.

This is why if we are trading for Watson it will happen b4 FA. Jets benefit in FA with Watson as a selling point.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The first move the Jets will make is to put on a huge show chasing free agent WRs and OL around. @football guy already put out that the Jets are going to make a push for Godwin and JuJu, but I imagine they’ll get noisy enough about it and aggressive enough that a certain dude in Houston hears about it and gets a little moist. 

Please no JuJu.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

So if their wish list order is 1 Watson, 2 Darnold and 3 draft, you would only trade Darnold after you acquire Watson . If Darnold is 3rd on that wishlist,  you move him as soon as you can.  I wonder if trading Darnold could expedite discussions with the Texans.

If Watson is attainable and the route they are gonna take, I believe you have to have a Darnold trade lined up already and basically pull both deals off simultaneously. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I think Darnold WILL be the first major trade that happens. However, the TIMING of this trade, IMO, simply has to do with what kind of value JD is able to get for him. In other words, assuming the Jets have decided to move on from Darnold, I don't think JD will trade him until he gets the value he feels he should get for him. So if it takes until draft night, it takes until draft night, if they end up going into next season with Darnold on the trade block and Wilson/Fields challenging him for the starting spot, then thats how things will shake out. Odds are that it does happen soon though and someone coughs up a second rounder for him (the rumored value). 

Including him in the Watson deal if one were to materialize doesn't really make sense. I think any discussion for Watson starts with the #2 overall pick so Houston can take a QB. Not sure why they would also want Darnold. I think they would rather take a Defensive starter or draft pick from the Jets and sign a vet QB as backup to Fields/Wilson-assuming they start.  

If the Jets decide to roll with Darnold and trade down from #2 overall I think that trade happens on draft night. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think Darnold WILL be the first major trade that happens. However, the TIMING of this trade, IMO, simply has to do with what kind of value JD is able to get for him. In other words, assuming the Jets have decided to move on from Darnold, I don't think JD will trade him until he gets the value he feels he should get for him. So if it takes until draft night, it takes until draft night, if they end up going into next season with Darnold on the trade block and Wilson/Fields challenging him for the starting spot, then thats how things will shake out. Odds are that it does happen soon though and someone coughs up a second rounder for him (the rumored value). 

Including him in the Watson deal if one were to materialize doesn't really make sense. I think any discussion for Watson starts with the #2 overall pick so Houston can take a QB. Not sure why they would also want Darnold. I think they would rather take a Defensive starter or draft pick from the Jets and sign a vet QB as backup to Fields/Wilson-assuming they start.  

If the Jets decide to roll with Darnold and trade down from #2 overall I think that trade happens on draft night. 

Not sure what way the Jets will go but the only thing I am totally against is drafting a top QB AND keeping Darnold, if they draft a QB they have to trade Darnold no matter what the value. There is absolutely no reason to keep him

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

If Sam is on any wish list at this point I say we kill the genie. 

• Haha 2

If we're to believe the narrative that the Jets are weighing Darnold + compensation for #2 in terms of trading back vs. Wilson/Fields + compensation for Darnold, then I have a hard time believing the Jets would trade Sam until draft day. While I doubt a deal of the magnitude of trading the #2 pick gets hashed out when the Jets go on the clock as opposed to months in advance, if I'm JD why not keep your options open and see if some team panics or was holding out on you and is willing to add more to the compensation? 

If they think #2 is obvious and they vastly prefer Fields/Wilson then I don't think getting an extra second rounder or something is really going to matter - but even if that wasn't the case - if they really prefer only one of the QBs over the Sam route - just make sure he gets to April without tearing a shoulder ligament or robbing a bank. 

52 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

JD is in no hurry to trade Darnold. Many teams still in play to trade him to. Steelers, Saints, Texans, Washington, SF are the possibilities.  Sooner or later one will hit the panic button and offer JD a nice return. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

they have to trade darnold before the draft - hopefully soon.  that way if Watson is at all a possibility, it gives them some added picks and time to work a deal out.

If they trade Darnold, the price for Watson automatically goes up.  They have to have both deals in place to get the best value possible.

Would be good for the Jets but I still don't think it's likely.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Not sure what way the Jets will go but the only thing I am totally against is drafting a top QB AND keeping Darnold, if they draft a QB they have to trade Darnold no matter what the value. There is absolutely no reason to keep him

Other than raising his trade value prior to the trade deadline. If the 5th year option isn’t implemented he only has several games left before FA.

If it is applied and he stinks again we’re left holding the bag. If he plays well, he’s worth a #1 and then some.

55 minutes ago, addage said:

If they trade Darnold, the price for Watson automatically goes up.  They have to have both deals in place to get the best value possible.

I don’t think so because they have the #2 pick as an option.  If keeping Darnold is their third choice(behind Watson and #2 pick qb) I don’t think Houston gains any additional leverage.  Where Houston would gain leverage is if the jets trade Darnold but don’t like a qb at 2. Not sure why Douglas would do that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

they have to trade darnold before the draft - hopefully soon.  that way if Watson is at all a possibility, it gives them some added picks and time to work a deal out.

They dont need any picks to make a deal for Watson.  They can use the picks that they have today and then replenish the ones used if a deal goes through after the fact.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Would Douglas trade Darnold before completing Wilson’s evaluation which includes his medicals?

I believe due to covid teams can’t bring players in for visits/medicals. BYU pro day is March 26th 

?

Great question, which adds to all this.  How can you trade Darnold before that?

1 minute ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Great question, which adds to all this.  How can you trade Darnold before that?

I’ll go one further. Teams with new HCs can report for offseason training beginning April 5th. Would Douglas, CS want Darnold around if the plan is to draft a QB at 2? 

1 hour ago, addage said:

The Watson deal is enough of a long shot that I think the focus should be on getting the maximum return for Darnold, which would be sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Watson deal is enough of a long shot that I think the focus should be on getting the maximum return for Darnold, which would be sooner rather than later.

I would tend to agree. The risk becomes that  the Jets get a great offer soon, Douglas doesn’t want to risk waiting so he takes it.  Then,  as we finalize the Wilson evaluation, we realize he’s not an ideal fit.  I would hope that the jets can be far enough along in the college qb evaluations to be confident enough to move in from Darnold but not sure. 

This is a very interesting topic but the dominos are already falling.

It is highly likely that JD already has in his mind Sam's worth (or what the Jets are willing to do a deal for).  It is very probable that teams have already felt out the Jets on what it would take to make a deal. - This may have happened more than once already.

Next, the new coaching staff will need to make their assessments (both the O and the D).  The O will be looking for things that can be built on and things that need to be improved.  The D, which may already have a start, how they would scheme him.  Then the two sides will need to get on the same page.  I do not expect this to happen before St. Patty's day unless the value established by JD is met.  I mean the coaching staff probably has other things like finding places to live, kids schools etc...;to deal with in parallel.

Once the coaching staff has their assessment done for the most part JD's folks will be brought in.  Doing so before will bias any analysis.  Then a second consensus will need to be developed before jointly going to Chris and Woody with recommendations.

That is the way I see this going down.  The only way it happens sooner is JD's expectations being met or exceeded.

• Upvote 1

Trading for Deshaun Watson would be the polar opposite of everything I have heard about how Joe Douglas plans on building the Jets. Granted starting quarterbacks of his caliber don't shake free every day but it would go against everything JD has done since he's been here.

Giving up all of our draft capital to get a Quarterback with nobody to block or throw to just doesn't make any sense. For those of you who think we're getting Juju and Allen Robinson, Thuney,  Alvin Kamara and the list goes on, it's not happening. You're dreaming!

Do you guys really think we're signing 9 free agents to 100 million dollar contracts?

DeShaun Watson would be a really surprising move and I honestly totally doubt it happens.

That being said we're keeping Sam and trading down, unless they feel there's a QB in this draft that is of equal or better talent without forgetting Sam's rookie contract is almost up. So it's Sam at QB or QB at 2.

We have so many draft picks and money in free agency we can turn this team around instantly. Realistically we can get a few good free agents in here but we're not getting 7 or 9 starters LOL.

Obviously I'm rounding up from a lot of threads I read about the CB from the Saints, the Center from the Packers, both Pittsburgh and Chicago's number one wide receivers, Guard from the Patriots Etc. It's just ridiculous.. Come on man.

I think they should keep Sam and draft a quarterback with the second pick  let them have a quarterback competition and pick their guy. Trade whoever doesn't make it cuz they'll still have value and continue building the team through the draft and with smart moves In free agency.

Having two quarterbacks drafted with the first top three picks on your team is a great absolutely great problem to have.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Well, not exactly, the Jets can keep Darnold and go into this season with Darnold and Fields/Wilson competing for a starting spot. Darnold would have incentive to audition for another team as he is about to hit FA, Fields/Wilson would have incentive to prove he can be a FQB in the NFL. The competition will undoubtedly boost Darnold's value. Unless of course he falls flat on his face, which is possible but unlikely, going up against a rookie. The the Jets can trade him mid season. I mean, its not the most likely scenario but its a possibility and wouldn't nec. be terrible for the Jets.  

7 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I would tend to agree. The risk becomes that  the Jets get a great offer soon, Douglas doesn’t want to risk waiting so he takes it.  Then,  as we finalize the Wilson evaluation, we realize he’s not an ideal fit.  I would hope that the jets can be far enough along in the college qb evaluations to be confident enough to move in from Darnold but not sure. 

If they're trading Darnold in the near future I definitely think it suggests they're confident in their evaluations of the 2021 QBs -- or at a minimum are confident enough in them that they are sure they like them better than Darnold.

Personally, regardless of what they've said publicly, I think they've known all along they would move on from Darnold.

2 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Giving up all of our draft capital to get a Quarterback with nobody to block or throw to just doesn't make any sense. For those of you who think we're getting Juju and Allen Robinson, Thuney,  Alvin Kamara and the list goes on, it's not happening. You're dreaming!

This is the problem with your narrative of going after Watson. The Jets WOULDN'T be giving up ALL of their draft capital, they WOULD have O-line protection with just a couple of decent FA/draft moves, they don't need to get Thuney, Robinson, Kamara, and Juju- clearly that's absurd- but if they were to go after any big name FA's, having Watson would only help to bring them here. 

1. If the Jets were to trade 3 first rounders for Watson (and thats a big IF, I don't think it will cost that much once all the dust settles), no matter how you break it down, the Jets still have adequate draft capital to build around Watson. Especially if you consider the fact that without a Watson trade the #2 overall pick will most likely be used on a QB and if you add a 2nd rounder or even 3rd for Darnold. Bottom line, it's a fallacy that the Jets are 'giving up all of their draft capital for Watson'.  

2. The Jets have a Franchise LT. They have a veteran C who struggled early but then got his act together. They have a solid starting RT. They struggled on the inside at the G position. In large part due to injury. If they get ONE legit starter in FA and draft one starting caliber OG, they should be in good shape. If they get Thuney and one of the top Guards in the draft, the line could be VERY good. The line is not as bad as it looked last year under Gase with Darnold at QB and Gore taking majority of the reps. For example, the Jets go hard and overpay for Thuney but wrangle him here in part because Watson is here. Then they draft Deonte Brown in the 3rd round and resign Elflein for depth. Now they have Becton, Thuney, Mcgovern, Brown/GVR/Elflein/Clark, Fant on the o-line.  I'm pretty satisfied with that O-line going into 2021 with a guy like Watson who can run. 

3. I view the WR position in a very similar way. Injuries really hampered the development of Mims. But I think he is a stud on the outside. I don't think there is anything special about Perriman but I would not mind the Jets bringing him back as a speedster/deep threat. If they add another vet WR (doesn't have to be a star) and draft a WR (doesn't have to be a 1st Rd. pick), they would have taken a major step in upgrading the weapons for Watson from what they had for Darnold. I also think Herndon has much more success in Salehs/LaFleurs system. The firing of Gase in general is addition by subtraction. For example, Mims, Perriman, Crowder, Herndon and the Jets draft Terrance Marshall Jr. in the 2nd round. Maybe they add Bourne who Saleh is familiar with. With Watson and a new coaching staff I think the Jets are ok at WR going into 2021.     

All of these moves are within the realm of possibility. Getting ONE big name FA is not crazy, especially of the Jets were able to trade for Watson. They have more than enough cap room to make these moves happen. Do they still need a RB, CB, Edge, LB, and depth, sure. But some of these they will have to sign as lower level Free Agents and bring in via Rd. 4, 5, 6 draft picks. Luckily they have two third rounders. And all of this is what they could pull off THIS offseason. Fact is, whether they rebuild with Darnold or trade for Watson or take Fields/Wilson, they won't be able to completely fill all the holes in one offseason.  

Who says there is going to be this falling domino effect?

If there isnt a Waste to the Jets trade, if Jets mgt believe  that Darnold can still become what was predicted of him, decide to stay with Darnold then the only dominos to fall are will we hold true at #2 and #23 or are we trading down at least once.  

FA is FA, were going to be active, have no idea who they target immediately, that 1st day signee

• Upvote 1