Charlie Weis likes Mac Jones

GreekJet

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Mac Jones can be a really good QB in this league.

But he’s not gonna carry any team on talent and elite traits, that’s for sure.

But you throw him with NE with good coaching, a good free agency and draft and he’s your next Jimmy G. You can win with that.

Brady didn't carry them with elite physical tools.   He has a good enough arm, and is super intelligent, and makes all the right calls.

Jones potentially could be something like that.  And no, I am not comparing him to Brady, or saying he will have Brady success.   

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

2nd best QB in the draft after Lawrence 

I still think Zach is 2nd best, but...

The way that Mac scans the fields and make quick + good decisions + accuracy is the best in the class.

He clearly doesn’t have Lawrence or Wilson’s arm/mobility, but his arm is plenty good.

He fits what we are trying to do on offense more than people think, as this offense is predicated on quick throws + accurate deep ones. 

If we traded down from 2...and Mac was staring us in the face wherever we ended up, I don’t see how you turn down the chance.

He is a better prospect than Tua and that’s not Dolphin-hating. He just isn’t getting the press for it because he isn’t the athletic-running type.

• Upvote 3

I am somewhat intrigued by Mac Jones but in today’s NFL, you need a dual threat QB. Someone that can scramble to the first down marker is absolutely necessary. Our most famous stat in offense has been 3 and out and can never get the momentum going in our favor. 

On 2/21/2021 at 4:21 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Mac Jones can be a really good QB in this league.

But he’s not gonna carry any team on talent and elite traits, that’s for sure.

But you throw him with NE with good coaching, a good free agency and draft and he’s your next Jimmy G. You can win with that.

What did Burrow do that Jones didn’t. 

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And you can say that same exact thing about Fields

I know nothing about any of this. But, I just find it odd that Fields beat Lawrence head up and Jones beat Fields head up. I know it’s team game but just a strange thing to happen the way it did. I just hope we pick one of these guys, build a good squad around him and move on from Sam. Is that too much too ask?

21 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I still think Zach is 2nd best, but...

The way that Mac scans the fields and make quick + good decisions + accuracy is the best in the class.

He clearly doesn’t have Lawrence or Wilson’s arm/mobility, but his arm is plenty good.

He fits what we are trying to do on offense more than people think, as this offense is predicated on quick throws + accurate deep ones. 

If we traded down from 2...and Mac was staring us in the face wherever we ended up, I don’t see how you turn down the chance.

He is a better prospect than Tua and that’s not Dolphin-hating. He just isn’t getting the press for it because he isn’t the athletic-running type.

I tend to agree. I have Wilson as by far the best prospect at 2 (and even think he is better than Lawrence) but if we trade down I would want us to get Jones. He has a weaker arm and is more limited physically but the Shanahn offense with some tweaks specifically for Mac could be really successful. The offense would not be really dynamic in the long pass game, but it could be consistent and Mac is good at making quick accurate throws.

Definitely my #2 guy. That said his heat map does concern me as it shows a complete lack of the out route. Tough to be successful in the NFL without widening the field.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I tend to agree. I have Wilson as by far the best prospect at 2 (and even think he is better than Lawrence) but if we trade down I would want us to get Jones. He has a weaker arm and is more limited physically but the Shanahn offense with some tweaks specifically for Mac could be really successful. The offense would not be really dynamic in the long pass game, but it could be consistent and Mac is good at making quick accurate throws.

Definitely my #2 guy. That said his heat map does concern me as it shows a complete lack of the out route. Tough to be successful in the NFL without widening the field.

To the point of the mobility aspect with Shanahan offense...while the roll outs and bootlegs are a vital component, you don’t need to be a running QB.

Matt Ryan and Jimmy G are two of the best examples of this. Both went to the super bowl with Shanahan offenses.

Shanahan’s crush Kirk Cousin, was never a running QB. 

I think that Mac’s arm strength is also overblown:

• His arm while not a rocket, isn’t weak.
  • Accuracy and specifically long ball accuracy is greater than being able to rip it 60 yards down the field
  • Shanahan’s passing offense is predicated on quick decision/throws and accuracy. Sound decision making

I actually see a lot of Matt Ryan in Mac Jones. Neither are mobile/big/with cannons for arms. But they have all necessary tools.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GreekJet said:

how do you watch this and draft him in the first round? All day to throw to unbelievable wide receiver talent 

Great compact quick release, beautiful rhythm in his foot work and he's dropping dimes.  Every watch Murray or Mayfield at OK.  Guys were wide open all day long.  Hard to know how he does at the next level but there is nothing in that tape that says don't take him.  

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It would be funny if Fields drops to 23 after we reach for plastic throwing shoulder Wilson at 2

I think, when the smoke clears on all the hype being thrown around right now, that Fields goes #2.  He's a dominant prospect who would go #1 almost any other year, but that's boring so there is an unbelievable amount of juice flowing into making Wilson vs. Fields a thing.  But at the end of the day, I truly believe sanity prevails, GMs do GM things, and it goes Lawrence, Fields #1, #2 and Wilson probably in the top-5 along with Sewell and Chase.  What I don't have any guess at is who will be picking #2.

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, Adoni Beast said:

To the point of the mobility aspect with Shanahan offense...while the roll outs and bootlegs are a vital component, you don’t need to be a running QB.

Matt Ryan and Jimmy G are two of the best examples of this. Both went to the super bowl with Shanahan offenses.

• Accuracy and specifically long ball accuracy is greater than being able to rip it 60 yards down the field
  • Shanahan’s passing offense is predicated on quick decision/throws and accuracy. Sound decision making

I actually see a lot of Matt Ryan in Mac Jones. Neither are mobile/big/with cannons for arms. But they have all necessary tools.

Right about not needing to be a running QB.  All they need to do be able to get the ball out quickly and have enough mobility to step up in the pocket of execute play action.  I look at guys like Wilson and mahommes and neither guy really runs.  Oh, they’re deceptively fast but when they are passing they move around very smoothly and just enough to avoid the rush.  I think the Jones to Brady comparison is somewhat valid.  They both hit their open receivers and I swear most of Brady’s passes are on the first read.

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2021 at 5:36 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Jones can throw downfield.  I’m not sure where the noodle arm stuff is coming from