Jump to content

Let’s Go On Record: Who Do You Want At 23?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Best OL avaliable 

Would love it Slater or Vera-Tucker slipped to the Jets at #23.  Doubtful though.

We might be looking at one of those other OTs though, a guy who could either start at RT or possibly pushes Becton to that other side (although I'm not a fan of that).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best OL avaliable 

If CB Jayce Horn is available I think he has to be the pick. If not we can look at the edge position (Ossai, Rousseau, or Phillips). Or we can go the OL route as there are about 10 really good OL pros

package for Watson

2 hours ago, derp said:

Feel like there’s a major drop off in this draft so I kind of hope they trade up from 23.

It is a bit hard to figure out what they’re going to do before free agency. Based on Douglas’ last draft I think it’ll be somebody at a premium position they can ease in. I also think a guy they love at a less premium position who they think is plug and play could work too.

Vera-Tucker is probably a pipe dream but my favorite semi-plausible option by a wide margin. Think he’s a high end plug and play guard with All Pro potential there and fits the scheme but he could also be very good at tackle. They’ll be positioned to not *need* a lineman since last year’s starters are under contract but they could take him and cut a guard or even Fant and really upgrade the line. The other guards in this class who could be there (ie not Slater) have enough questions I don’t think they’re slam dunk enough to be options at 23.

There should be a lot of tackles and I’m okay with taking one but don’t love it. I feel like the tackles who go later and excel are either hyper athletic guys who are a little more raw and become studs at LT which isn’t a need or absolute mammoth road graders at RT which isn’t really a scheme fit. Then there are those guys late round one through the third or so who are kind of the Boringtons - they’re just kind of okay at everything. A lot of the class seems to fit into that category - which is fine and the Jets could use but I’d rather they just did it day two. A couple might be the hyper athletic ones and maybe that works.

I like but don’t love the idea of Rousseau. He’s not super quick twitch but I think that length and frame are appealing. Enough upside that I think he’s a worthy dice roll. Most of the edge class scares me, I think they’re getting pushed up because of the lack of a top guy.

There are a bunch of receivers I like - I’m not sure what they’re looking to do schematically. Somebody, I think @Chrebetfan80 but maybe I’m wrong, pointed out the differences between the receiver styles in SF and GB. If the Jets go more GB style I really like Terrace Marshall. If it’s the SF route Kadarius Toney is maybe the best fit in the draft to the point that he kind of feels like he might be the guy they target at 23 - maybe after a little trade down and if he’s not there just take Rondale Moore and hope he stays healthy.

It was me that talked about that.  Marshal however I think can fit well in both styles.  Body size you are right his mold and the majority of his work is done on deeper patterns where he really excels but like most LSU WR's they are really good route runners and are better YAC guys than given credit for.  Justin Jefferson was some of my favorite film to watch of any receiver over the last few years, and ive talked to the WR coach over there a few times, they train those kids right. 

Toney I like a lot as well and his route running isnt getting talked enough about in my opinion, but at 23 i do not love him because there needs to be more work actually catching the football.  I love both prospects at 34 though, just not sure they will last that long. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as who is there, it will depend on what we do in free agency.  This team has some gaping holes, like WR/CB/Edge.  I really like Harris, but I would rather find my RBs elsewhere.  Just not on Frank Gore's doorstep.  I don't like Bateman that high at all, unless he runs 4.3.  There I am, not going on the record.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It was me that talked about that.  Marshal however I think can fit well in both styles.  Body size you are right his mold and the majority of his work is done on deeper patterns where he really excels but like most LSU WR's they are really good route runners and are better YAC guys than given credit for.  Justin Jefferson was some of my favorite film to watch of any receiver over the last few years, and ive talked to the WR coach over there a few times, they train those kids right. 

Toney I like a lot as well and his route running isnt getting talked enough about in my opinion, but at 23 i do not love him because there needs to be more work actually catching the football.  I love both prospects at 34 though, just not sure they will last that long. 

I absolutely loved Justin Jefferson. I do agree Marshall *could* fit the SF style but I really think if they go that route that’s two big guys (with Mims) who can run some after the catch - Marshall is better IMO - but won’t be used so much in the run game and so it doesn’t mesh as much with the SF style. If it’s the GB style it’s perfect and you really just need one to click as the top guy.

Don’t love Toney at 23 either, I just think he’s more stylistically in line with the guys SF has drafted (Aiyuk, Samuel - albeit a little less thick) than almost anyone in the draft. But very usable in run action. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect *too* much from a rookie and someone who can create big plays in a gadget role early and expand would make sense to me (if they think Toney can expand).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a trade down to pick up another 1st rounder, but not so low we can't get Trey Lance, or Fields if he drops. Pick up a vet - maybe even The Fitz (I know, I'm starting a food fight 😛  ) - to start for a year while he sits and learns. Use the mid teens or twenties pick to go OL or WR, then RB, edge and in subsequent rounds. A vet QB might actually help a rookie WR/TW/RB. Wish there was a way to also get the tight end - but there's only so much to go around.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, derp said:

I absolutely loved Justin Jefferson. I do agree Marshall *could* fit the SF style but I really think if they go that route that’s two big guys (with Mims) who can run some after the catch - Marshall is better IMO - but won’t be used so much in the run game and so it doesn’t mesh as much with the SF style. If it’s the GB style it’s perfect and you really just need one to click as the top guy.

Don’t love Toney at 23 either, I just think he’s more stylistically in line with the guys SF has drafted (Aiyuk, Samuel - albeit a little less thick) than almost anyone in the draft. But very usable in run action. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect *too* much from a rookie and someone who can create big plays in a gadget role early and expand would make sense to me (if they think Toney can expand).

It's hard to say for sure really where they want to go at the position.  Knowing they really like chase and waddle makes you think they're looking for run after catch guys more so than big tall WR's.   Chase is 6'0 and Waddle 5'10 i believe with chase around 200 and Waddle 185 ish.    Thats why I have been really looking at guys like Toney, Moore and Darden to some extent as well where it seems like thats where they want to go with the position. 

Same seems to be said for their FA targets looking at "big slot" guys like Juju, samuel, godwin, and bourne.  

As for mims, I see him being a very big part of not only the deep ball game, but something that we havent seen a lot of since the Hackett days with Lav. Coles and that is the Deep Curl/Comeback/Dig concepts off play action.  He has the big body and athletic ability to fiest in those area's.    Not that I would compare the two, but think of what Shanahan did with Julio when he was in Atl.  Similar role I think if you could compare what the two do at all considering some of the ways Julio is able to run routes is borderline breaking kinesthetic law lol 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

If CB Jayce Horn is available I think he has to be the pick. If not we can look at the edge position (Ossai, Rousseau, or Phillips). Or we can go the OL route as there are about 10 really good OL prospects. 
 

as long as Douglas takes either a CB, EDGE, OL, or even a WR we’d be in good shape. I can’t see him taking the RB @23  

Best CB or edge available on JD's board @ 23 and 34.  Draft is DEEP in OL. Take a G & WR in round 3.  If we take Wilson or Fields @ #2, then Darnold gets traded and can be used as a trade up option with what JD gets from him. The possibilities with that extra pick would be very interesting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I want a trade down to pick up another 1st rounder, but not so low we can't get Trey Lance, or Fields if he drops. Pick up a vet - maybe even The Fitz (I know, I'm starting a food fight 😛  ) - to start for a year while he sits and learns. Use the mid teens or twenties pick to go OL or WR, then RB, edge and in subsequent rounds. A vet QB might actually help a rookie WR/TW/RB. Wish there was a way to also get the tight end - but there's only so much to go around.

Would love to trade back with Cincy.  One of 3 Fields, Wilson, Lance will be there @ #5.  And we'd probably get a nice haul. Did a mock and got this 

  •   Pick 5   Wilson  QB
  •       Pick 38 Freiermuth TE
  •                                                                                                                                           Pick 69 Trey Smith G
  •    2022 CIN 1st
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This.

The mocks I’ve been doing end up with us drafting 11+ players. I know we need help on the roster but look at how many of the Idzik 12 actually contributed to the team.  I prefer a quality over quantity  approach.

The only problem with that analogy is comparing Idzik with Douglas.  

Idzik, literally, struck out with 12 picks.  That is why he didn't stay.  If Douglas has 12 picks and 6 stay, he will be worth keeping awhile. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, football guy said:

Won't be surprised if the Jets trade down from 2 and trade up from 23

I saw that in your mock.   Do you have info indicating that this might be the plan, or is it just your gut feel.   BTW, thanks for the info you provide.   I know you take a lot of stuff sometimes, but I think a majority of board really appreciates it and understands that it is only the best info you have and could not be completely accurate or part of a smokescreen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Idk if this should be in the draft forum or not..but I’ve been thinking about 23. I know a lot depends on what we do at 2..but ideally..who do you want at 23?
I think a guy that is getting overlooked a little bit is Jaelen Phillips from Miami. As a Canes fan..I’ve watched him a lot this past year and this dude can dominate stretches of a game.
A lot of people have Rousseau ranked a lot higher than him..but I don’t know how the 1 year layoff will effect some of these guys. 
 
I really think people are sleeping on JP..and if he’s there at 23 I really hope JD considers him. He could be the elusive edge we’ve been after since ABE.
 

Phillips is who I want and I think he is better than Rousseau


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My picks for 23:

 

1) Jaelen Phillips 

2) Wyatt Davis

3) Jaycee Horn 

4) Toney/Bateman 

 

I know Wyatt Davis has fallen down boards a bit since mid season but I think that’s a reflection of so many great OTs in the class. Plus I’m sure half of those OTs are gunna kick inside to G for first season so I think that has to do with his recent mild drop. I think Davis is going to be a plug in play starter tho and make the biggest difference for our line - more so than drafting a rookie to play RT.  
 

 

Jaelen Phillips seems to be a great fit too and would love his upside. 
 

Horn is great considering we are despertador CB help and if we don’t get Sherman to sign then we’re sort of SOL. 
 

don’t know enough about Toney but like some stuff from Bateman. Gotta check em out more

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I know you meant 34

 34 NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

The Jets need a feature running back to help their offense. Here's a running weapon who also will help their passing offense.

Etienne is not the biggest of backs, but he runs hard for his size and is fast with the ability to rip off long runs on any carry. He also could be an excellent receiving weapon in the NFL because he is a threat to take short check downs for long gains. Etienne totaled 168 carries for 914 yards - 5.4 average - and 14 touchdowns with 48 receptions for 588 yards and two scores in 2020. He also suffered from ball-security issues over the course of the season, fumbling against Boston College, Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pounder played well for Clemson in 2019, showing the speed to break off long gains on any carry. He averaged 7.8 yards per carry for 1,614 yards with 18 touchdowns. He also made 37 receptions for 432 yards and four touchdowns. Etienne averaged 8.1 yards per carry in 2018 for 1,658 yards with 24 touchdowns. He also caught 12 passes for 78 yards and two scores.

 

Between Harris and Etienne one of them is going to fall to 34

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those pining for a RB are going to be disappointed.  There's very little chance that Douglas/Saleh use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB in a one-cut, Shanahan system.  

The last time the 49ers used a high pick on a RB was in 2014 (Carlos Hyde), 3 years prior to Shanahan's hiring in SF.  Under Shanahan, the highest pick the 49ers used on a RB was in the 4th round, # 121 overall (Joe Williams).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, Wonderboy said:

Would love to trade back with Cincy.  One of 3 Fields, Wilson, Lance will be there @ #5.  And we'd probably get a nice haul. Did a mock and got this 

  •   Pick 5   Wilson  QB
  •       Pick 38 Freiermuth TE
  •                                                                                                                                           Pick 69 Trey Smith G
  •    2022 CIN 1st

I'm not opposed to trading down, I just can't get on board with doing so with the intention of blindly taking  whatever is left of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th ranked QB in the draft. Thats pretty much what we did when we traded up for Sam. If they take a QB they better like him enough and feel good enough about him to take him at 2 and not be satisfied or comfortable with whoever is left 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...