Rap: No immediate decision to be made on Sam

Rhg1084

Their pro days are at the end of March 2 weeks after the start of free agency. Teams will move on signing the likes of Newton, Minshew, Trubisky all who have far better stats than Darnold. Joe Douglas should have a better understanding of who Darnold is to strike now rather than waiting another 2 months.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Their pro days are at the end of March 2 weeks after the start of free agency. Teams will move on signing the likes of Newton, Minshew, Trubisky all who have far better stats than Darnold. Joe Douglas should have a better understanding of who Darnold is to strike now rather than waiting another 2 months.

What do we think Trubisky signs for as a FA?   I have a guess in my mind but I am afraid to type it.  

You can get him and not give up a draft pick.

Would you rather sign Trubisky for that or trade draft comp for Darnold, who basically costs 2 years/$30mm? 

It sort of smells like we don't think Sam is great but will roll with him if we think he's better than who we can get at 2.  This can backfire because other teams that might be willing to go with Sam now might go to the combine and like someone better.  

AZ screwed themselves when they played that game with Rosen.  The Giants fell in love with Daniels and they were stuck negotiating with one team.  The Giants may well have bid with the Dolphins if he was on the block before the combine.

26 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

What does "real" interest in Darnold actually mean?  We're real interested in giving the Jets a 3rd round pick for him?  To me, that's not real interest.

In terms of waiting until mid March to complete their evaluations of QBs, that tells me that the Jets will be perfectly fine with staying with Darnold if other teams offer a boat load of capital for the #2 pick, or move on from Darnold if they can get a 1st round pick for him.  Or move on from Darnold if Houston doesn't try to kill the Jets with some crazy deal.  It tells me that Joe Douglas is cool, calm and collected, and that is exactly what you want as the GM of the Jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Biggs said:

It sort of smells like we don't think Sam is great but will roll with him if we think he's better than who we can get at 2.  This can backfire because other teams that might be willing to go with Sam now might go to the combine and like someone better.  

AZ screwed themselves when they played that game with Rosen.  The Giants fell in love with Daniels and they were stuck negotiating with one team.  The Giants may well have bid with the Dolphins if he was on the block before the combine.

It sorta seems like they aren't picking a QB at 2 and handing the franchise over to him unless they are in love with said QB...unlike media members and message board posters...DarnoLD sUcKS tAke wiLSon HeS goNNa Be Lit...I wAtchEd Him on YoUTube.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Still go back to @KRL saying that Joe Douglas controls this draft. It is so true.

I do think the Jets at #2 essentially control the draft and even more so if Jacksonville somehow does not choose Lawrence. 

Internally though I think in terms of the QB position Saleh and LaFleur will have equal input to JD. If JD wants Fields but Saleh and LaFleur are convinced that Wilson is their guy we will select Wilson. Part of the GMs jobs is to get the players that best fit what the coaches want and feel is best part. JD does not choose in a vacuum but does have final say.

Just now, Icer said:

Year 4 of the 32nd ranked QB coming up, get excited

I actually take this more as they are likely to take QB at #2 but won't make the final decision until after interviews and pro days. This could be only 1 of the 2 or both Fields and Wilson. They will do due dilligence on Lawrence as well.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, undertow said:

It sorta seems like they aren't picking a QB at 2 and handing the franchise over to him unless they are in love with said QB...unlike media members and message board posters...DarnoLD sUcKS tAke wiLSon HeS goNNa Be Lit...I wAtchEd Him on YoUTube.

They can trade Sam and not take a QB at 2.  There is no reason to keep a bad QB because you don't want to draft a bad QB.  I'm for trading Sam and either taking Lance if you love him at 2 or trading down and loading up and rolling with a cheap Vet and/or Morgan.  Hate the idea of drafting a stiff or keeping a stiff.

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The problem is that if you read into this, the jets staff doesn’t love darnold but will keep him only if the guys in the draft don’t wow them.  It has less to do with darnold, and more to do with their draft evaluations.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Well for what it’s worth the Jets tweeted this hours ago

New York Jets (@nyjets) Tweeted:
| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
   this account just posts
    Mock Draft Mondays.
  it doesn't have input on
    actual draft decisions.
|___________| 
             \ (•_•) / 
               \      / 
                 ---
                 |   |

image.jpeg.2133fdd3b9eb23ab1ca70df32cc5f325.jpeg

https://t.co/H47EfJi5I4

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They can trade Sam and not take a QB at 2.  There is no reason to keep a bad QB because you don't want to draft a bad QB.  I'm for trading Sam and either taking Lance if you love him at 2 or trading down and loading up and rolling with a cheap Vet and/or Morgan.  Hate the idea of drafting a stiff or keeping a stiff.

They aren't making the playoffs next year either way.  So you want to trade Darnold for a pick and start Morgan or Nick Mullens or some crappy QB and I would rather give Darnold another year.  I don't think adding another 2nd round pick is a franchise changer if a QB isn't taken at 2 the trade down package will be plenty. 

• Upvote 3

Waiting to until after free agent starts to trade Sam, is risky. As others have mentioned, the list of suitors will be minimal, as will the price.

But, maybe they’re prepared to roll with Sam, or retain Sam and still draft a QB. 

I still expect JD to pull the trigger right before free agency thought, and think this is a lot of smoke and mirrors to keep the price on Sam up.

44 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

how can the Jets be sure of the QBs at 2 when they haven't even seen them throw an NFL football? 

a realistic height/exam on Wilson would be nice as well 

without the combine there's no medical exams etc