Rap: No immediate decision to be made on Sam

Rhg1084

41 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

To me Watson has shown Revis/Jamal style instincts which I hate. Something goes wrong and he wants out.. No one held a gun to his head when he signed his contract I assume. If I'm the Texans I keep him and if he don't play he don't get paid.. Lets see if he also has some Le' Veon Bell in him to boot ..

This is a legitimate concern with Watson.  Giving up that many picks with likely the worst roster in football - under the best of circumstance this roster would be two years away without the extra picks and tighter cap space from being competitive.

What happens in two years when they win 8 games, miss the playoffs again and the fans and media are calling him a bum?  How does he respond to that?  Does he take it or force his way out?

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Some hate that I keep saying it but the reality is that the Jets do not want to trade Sam Darnold

I think the BEST CASE scenario is that Sam is the truth and the team can trade down from two and even pick up another first for next year. Best way to build a team. Then sign Sam to a reasonable extension and have a nice balanced team for the next ten years. 

thag being said, Sam has really busted so far. I don’t know how much was Gase. I think he’s done. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Some hate that I keep saying it but the reality is that the Jets do not want to trade Sam Darnold

If that's the case, it tells you all you need to know about what they think of this years QB class. Hopefully, for the value of our #2 pick, most teams feel otherwise.?

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Waiting to until after free agent starts to trade Sam, is risky. As others have mentioned, the list of suitors will be minimal, as will the price.

But, maybe they’re prepared to roll with Sam, or retain Sam and still draft a QB. 

I still expect JD to pull the trigger right before free agency thought, and think this is a lot of smoke and mirrors to keep the price on Sam up.

You don’t do research on other potential franchise QBs if you thought you had one in house. Darnold is done 

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a legitimate concern with Watson.  Giving up that many picks with likely the worst roster in football - under the best of circumstance this roster would be two years away without the extra picks and tighter cap space from being competitive.

What happens in two years when they win 8 games, miss the playoffs again and the fans and media are calling him a bum?  How does he respond to that?  Does he take it or force his way out?

Depends, does the owner lie to him, trade away the best players around him, etc? Comparing him to Revis/Jamal is stupid. He has the money, so its not like Revis and he doesn't want out because they've lost and can't handle losing, so he's not Jamal. 

Peter Schrager (close to the Johnson's) said the following just now on The Herd:

"I know those Jets guys, they haven't made any decisions yet, they haven't, and I know we all love mock drafts and I know we all think that a BYU quarterback is gonna be the starter for the Jets next year and I say slow that down, they are still evaluating a lot of things, and Sam Darnold in that offense might be a different version of Sam Darnold than he was in the Adam Gase offense."

SAR I

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Then the Jets need new people making the decisions.

This board needs more humble posters. Posters willing to admit that the people getting paid to make these decisions, have valid reasons for doing so. And these new people your talking about are highly respected around the league, and have been for a long time.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Guessing we won't have a interest in Allen Robinson then. Doubt he would sign here if our QB situation is up in the air. 

You think receivers would want to play with the worst rated QB especially after mims and Permian basically crapped all over Sam recently in interviews? It’s not like we are the only team with cap space

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

This board needs more humble posters. Posters willing to admit that the people getting paid to make these decisions, have valid reasons for doing so. And these new people your talking about are highly respected around the league, and have been for a long time.

Humble posters? I've been watching this team for close to 30 years. Give me a break.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Packers drafted a QB last year.  They have a FQB in house.

Good football management is ALWAYS researching players at the most important position on the field.

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Aaron Rodgers is 35+ and was the same age Farve was when he was drafted. Sam is a 23 yrold QB still on a rookie deal. Lightyears of difference, and The Chiefs, Bills etc aren’t scouting potential franchise QBs 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The other thing to factor in as well, 2 years from now, Mayfield, Allen, Lamar, Dak and possibly Herbert will all have new mega deals, all making way much more $ than Watson. He'll be about the 8th highest paid QB in football. And considering all the assets that the Jets would have given up to acquire him, he would have JD over a barrel.

This is such a stressful time.  Darnold sucked.  Really sucked.  I really am pulling for this kid but he really sucked.  You have to take a QB at #2, or trade down close enough to still get one of the top 5 QBs.  I am ok with keeping Darnold 1 more year and have the rookie QB battle him.  My options:

1 - Trade Darnold for 3rd or 4th round pick and move on.  Draft a QB at #2.  (People really think we are getting a 1 for Darnold.....LOL)  Do people not realize that Flacco made this offense more explosive than Darnold did???

2 - Keep Darnold one more year.  Draft QB at #2 and let them battle it out.

3 - Keep Darnold one more year, trade down from #2, get a bunch of picks, take Mac Jones later, build up the team.

4 - Trade everything for Watson.

• Upvote 1

It seems most of the media is leaning towards the NY Jets selecting Zach Wilson with the #2 pick. At this point who knows. The fact that the organization is keeping things quiet and still evaluating and making a determination may be for trade value purposes.  I would think JD and Saleh want their own QB here whether through free agency or the draft. 

Time will tell all. 

34 minutes ago, undertow said:

They aren't making the playoffs next year either way.  So you want to trade Darnold for a pick and start Morgan or Nick Mullens or some crappy QB and I would rather give Darnold another year.  I don't think adding another 2nd round pick is a franchise changer if a QB isn't taken at 2 the trade down package will be plenty. 

Yup, I think the roster stinks and we need as much draft capital as possible to turn the ship.   I don't believe Sam will be better than Nick Mullens.  If we keep him I hope I'm dead wrong.   I want the roster turned over.  If they love a QB mid first round have at it.  I'm pretty much against having either Sam or using our 2 on a QB.  I want max draft capital and turn the roster over.

Sam will have to be paid or cut after next year and I don't believe this team is a playoff team with or without him next year.

4 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

This is such a stressful time.  Darnold sucked.  Really sucked.  I really am pulling for this kid but he really sucked.  You have to take a QB at #2, or trade down close enough to still get one of the top 5 QBs.  I am ok with keeping Darnold 1 more year and have the rookie QB battle him.  My options:

1 - Trade Darnold for 3rd or 4th round pick and move on.  Draft a QB at #2.  (People really think we are getting a 1 for Darnold.....LOL)  Do people not realize that Flacco made this offense more explosive than Darnold did???

2 - Keep Darnold one more year.  Draft QB at #2 and let them battle it out.

3 - Keep Darnold one more year, trade down from #2, get a bunch of picks, take Mac Jones later, build up the team.

4 - Trade everything for Watson.

I’ve been saying option 2 for a while now. Although it’s barely talked about and frowned upon. Keep Sam, draft a QB at 2. Let’s see what we got come training camp/preseason. Maybe the rookie isn’t ready, maybe Sam looks terrible and we start the rookie and Sam can be backup for 1 year/ or trade him during preseason (injuries are inevitable) same as they could be for us, Sam gets hurt again we have the rookie. Sam plays out of his mind well then we have a good problem on our hands. If we trade Sam and the rookie struggles who’s our backup? Morgan? If we trade Sam and the rookie gets hurt, same situation. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Humble posters? I've been watching this team for close to 30 years. Give me a break.

You could have been watching the team 200 years. That has nothing to do with the belief of a few people here, that they're views are on the same level, as the decision makers. They're not.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, genot said:

You could have been watching the team 200 years. That has nothing to do with the belief of a few people here, that they're views are on the same level, as the decision makers. They're not.

If the decision makers are going to run it back with the worst performing QB in the NFL then it's a decision maker issue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

It seems most of the media is leaning towards the NY Jets selecting Zach Wilson with the #2 pick. At this point who knows. The fact that the organization is keeping things quiet and still evaluating and making a determination may be for trade value purposes.  I would think JD and Saleh want their own QB here whether through free agency or the draft. 

Time will tell all. 

This 

This is my 2 centz though: 

There are 32 NFL teams, 17 showed up to Trevor Lawrence pro day. If the New York Jets believed that Sam was a franchise QB they wouldn’t be evaluating the QBs at the top of the draft. Buffalo, Chargers, Chiefs aren’t scouting the top of this QB class, the NYJ are. If we put all this together it’s obvious that they feel Sam isn’t a franchise QB, regardless if they keep him around next season or not 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Unless jets get Watson (doubtful) I don’t think Sam will be traded before the draft.

If we don’t get Watson, does it make more sense to hang onto him until preseason and then trade him to a needy team or try to cash in on draft picks this year?

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Peter Schrager (close to the Johnson's) said the following just now on The Herd:

"I know those Jets guys, they haven't made any decisions yet, they haven't, and I know we all love mock drafts and I know we all think that a BYU quarterback is gonna be the starter for the Jets next year and I say slow that down, they are still evaluating a lot of things, and Sam Darnold in that offense might be a different version of Sam Darnold than he was in the Adam Gase offense."

SAR I

Everything is contingent upon what the Texans ultimately choose to do with Watson. Sam Darnold is the Jets QB up until the second that Caserio decides the Jets trade package is good enough. Likewise, Darnold will remain the Jets QB up until draft day and Douglas gets a fat offer for either Darnold or the #2 pick, or both. There is zero rush to do anything with Darnold, and hanging onto him for a few more weeks doesn’t mean that he’s guaranteed anything. He’s a spare part at this point, and one you hope somebody foolishly bids too much for at the garage sale you’ll ultimately have when the time comes

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the decision makers are going to run it back with the worst performing QB in the NFL then it's a decision maker issue. 

It's football. Not tennis. These evaluators don't know this about Sam's stat sheet. They've only heard about pre-snap reads from a few Jet Nation posters. Cmon.