Rap: No immediate decision to be made on Sam

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

“If the Coaches or Front office people who have made it to the top of their profession and are highly thought of in one of the most cut throat businesses on the face of the planet don’t agree with ME, the fan who burps and eats Cheetos every Sunday going on 30+ years, on what they should do, they need to be fired.”

You legitimately can’t make it up.

Shills are gonna shill.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

If we don’t get Watson, does it make more sense to hang onto him until preseason and then trade him to a needy team or try to cash in on draft picks this year?

Will be risky as most teams would like to be set at starting QB before preseason. Plus Darmold will then be taking reps from the drafted rookie.

• Upvote 1

You trade Darnold and trade down.  You let CJ beathered and James morgan battle it out for this year.

With all the draft picks from trading down and trading darnold, you completey stack the roster with playmakers.

Address qb in the draft next year.

Winning 8 games is not the goal this year.  The goal is putting together a roster of young players that can lead to long term success.

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the decision makers are going to run it back with the worst performing QB in the NFL then it's a decision maker issue. 

I think I’d prefer one more year of Sam (and Nick Mullins) along with whatever giant package we get for #2 in a trade down than I would four years of hoping Zack Wilson is any good. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Imagine seeing my posts for the last 13 or so years and thinking I’m a shill because you’re upset that the team doesn’t listen to fans on a message board, lmao.

I mean the whole fan policing thing to cover for the Jets FO is shilling. 

3 minutes ago, genot said:

It's football. Not tennis. These evaluators don't know this about Sam's stat sheet. They've only heard about pre-snap reads from a few Jet Nation posters. Cmon. 

To be fair evaluators who were also paid to make these decisions drafted Sam and that was a terrible decision. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think I’d prefer one more year of Sam (and Nick Mullins) along with whatever giant package we get for #2 in a trade down than I would four years of hoping Zack Wilson is any good. 

Why not just Nick Mullins? Darnold is bad. There's still a portion of fans here who think he's good when I think it's clear that he's not. Move on...there's nothing that will backfire if you move on. Darnold is what he is.

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Or, and stick with me here, I think Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Mike LaFleur, are more qualified to evaluate the QB position, both long term and short term, better than someone posting on a message board.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

God forbid anyone questions the logic of a front office that would like to run it back with the literal worst passer in the league, on a expiring contract. But this is the same organization that passed on Watson and Mahomes for Hackenberg 

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Totally disagree, his franchise crumbled around him, ownership lied to him. He isn't Jamal tweeting the thought of the day. He wants out and it seems like he is prepared to play the long game. I think he is handling this with class so far.

It's an open question whether he was lied too. Stories are they never promised him he'd have a role in any front office hire. Which makes perfect sense to me. They said he could play a role in who the next HC would be. Watson wanted Bieniemy. They interviewed him, and weren't impressed. Not the only NFL team that wasn't impressed either.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Or, and stick with me here, I think Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Matt LaFleur, are more qualified to evaluate the QB position, both long term and short term, better than someone posting on a message board.

What's the point of the message board then? I can assure you that anyones posts here are not causing the Johnson's to rethink their positions on personnel. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why not just Nick Mullins? Darnold is bad. There's still a portion of fans here who think he's good when I think it's clear that he's not. Move on...there's nothing that will backfire if you move on. Darnold is what he is.

I’d guess it depends on what you’re getting for Darnold in a trade. I don’t think you can reasonably go into 2021 with Mullins as your only viable QB1. It’d be ******* gross. Granted, Darnold has sucked and will likely continue to suck, but I’d probably find some intrigue in seeing what he could do in a post-Gase situation, even if it’s only for eight games.

Honestly, this is great news for me.  Whether or not they trade Darnold will be after a thorough analysis and pretty much a consensus decision.  You make the most informed decision and go from there.  You wouldn't want them to draft a player based on here-say and highlight reels, the same goes for the evaluation of your current roster.  I know we are starving for action/news, but I assume this is how good orgs function.  You hire the coach and he gets his input in as well as the GM.  They work together and decision are made knowing that they will be moving lock in step together( although I assume JD has final roster say).  There will be no surprises and no reports of players being forced on coaches etc.  I don't want to get my hopes up, but it seems like the Jets are slowly but surely becoming a respectful organization.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, genot said:

It's an open question whether he was lied too. Stories are they never promised him he'd have a role in any front office hire. Which makes perfect sense to me. They said he could play a role in who the next HC would be. Watson wanted Bieniemy. They interviewed him, and weren't impressed. Not the only NFL team that wasn't impressed either.

Well if you take the ownership \ new head coach part out of the mix, I still think he was lied to.

Because it is kind of implied that you aren't going to destroy the franchise by letting Bill O'Brien make awful trades.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What's the point of the message board then? I can assure you that anyones posts here are not causing the Johnson's to rethink their positions on personnel. 

To discuss.  Which is what we’re doing.  You think fans on forums are more qualified to make decisions than a highly respected GM and coaching staff.  I think that’s stupid.  You think that makes me shill.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You keep posting this which makes me think you are suggesting there is some kind of tie in with the site policing posts to gain favor with the Jets. If that is what you are saying, I can tell you with all certainty that you have never been more wrong.

We are a Jets site though, so people are allowed to root for the Jets here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess it depends on what you’re getting for Darnold in a trade. I don’t think you can reasonably go into 2021 with Mullins as your only viable QB1. It’d be ******* gross. Granted, Darnold has sucked and will likely continue to suck, but I’d probably find some intrigue in seeing what he could do in a post-Gase situation, even if it’s only for eight games.

Nick Mullens,Mike White,James Morgan adding possibly a veteran backup who knows his role is solely a backup. 

Going into the season with Mullens is equal or better than going in with Darnold. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well if you take the ownership \ new head coach part out of the mix, I still think he was lied to.

Because it is kind of implied that you aren't going to destroy the franchise by letting Bill O'Brien make awful trades.

I don’t think the main issue should be whether or not Watson was lied to; teams are under no obligation to take marching orders from their QBs. I think Watson is justified in wanting out of the Texans because of the McNair/Easterby stuff which has been galling and literally nobody has refuted any of it. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Or, and stick with me here, I think Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Matt LaFleur, are more qualified to evaluate the QB position, both long term and short term, better than someone posting on a message board.

Let the football men In charge do their work.  The worst passer in the league had a winning record 2 seasons ago. If they decide to move on, it will be after the evaluate all options. It won’t be, I hate Darnold , so we have move on , no matter what 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Maxman said:

You keep posting this which makes me think you are suggesting there is some kind of tie in with the site policing posts to gain favor with the Jets. If that is what you are saying, I can tell you with all certainty that you have never been more wrong.

We are a Jets site though, so people are allowed to root for the Jets here. 

I dont think I ever inferred that. That comment was strictly to Moggles. The "what do you know you're just a stupid fan" thing is overly defensive. I mean we are allowed to question the rationale in which a 2-14 team is prepared to bring back a statistically bad QB.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think I ever inferred that. That comment was strictly to Moggles. The "what do you know you're just a stupid fan" thing is overly defensive. I mean we are allowed to question the rationale in which a 2-14 team is prepared to bring back a statistically bad QB.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I will step out of this conversation then. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something bigger.

I will sell the collective soul of everyone here on JetNation eventually. I just don't see the Jets being the highest bidder lol.

:)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

To discuss.  Which is what we’re doing.  You think fans on forums are more qualified to make decisions than a highly respected GM and coaching staff.  I think that’s stupid.  You think that makes me shill.

Correct, fans on forums to not beat highly respected GM's and coaching staffs.

And that's the rub.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

They can trade Sam and not take a QB at 2.  There is no reason to keep a bad QB because you don't want to draft a bad QB.  I'm for trading Sam and either taking Lance if you love him at 2 or trading down and loading up and rolling with a cheap Vet and/or Morgan.  Hate the idea of drafting a stiff or keeping a stiff.

Agree, but drafting a bad QB at #2 - even if it's a slight improvement - is worse than keeping Darnold for 2021 and watching him fail for another season.

One failure is for 1 year, costs $5MM plus (guessing) roughly the #30-40 pick; the other failure lasts at least 2-3 years, costs $35MM plus the #2 pick.

Jets fans are experienced at spotting the lesser of half-empty glasses.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I will step out of this conversation then. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something bigger.

I will sell the collective soul of everyone here on JetNation eventually. I just don't see the Jets being the highest bidder lol.

:)

Our only benchmark is bigger than Scout money. :)

1 hour ago, genot said:

This board needs more humble posters. Posters willing to admit that the people getting paid to make these decisions, have valid reasons for doing so. And these new people your talking about are highly respected around the league, and have been for a long time.

In fairness, I've heard that before. Maccagnan was the football guy we so sorely lacked - an experienced scout, not a "bean counter" - to do player evaluations. Then we paired him with a defensive "genius" (yes, he was called that here) in Bowles. So much wisdom. So much wisdom.  ;) 

• Upvote 1