Jump to content

Jets 2021 Offseason: "Protection & Playmakers" (Pre-Free Agency Mock)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Firstly, I want to apologize for some of my long-winded and in some cases aggressive posts over the past month. Unfortunately I let some of the members of this site get under my skin too often. Part o

Phenomenal post.  Thanks man.  Linsley is my number one target for FA, so I hope they can get him.  This team has been searching way too long for a Mangold replacement.

Interesting. Lot of work went into this... and I appreciate your declaration that is what you think might happen, vs want.... which I think gets lost often in these discussions when people essentially

Posted Images

This was incredibly well done! Really like Free Agency, I don't love Juju but if they roll with Sam and move on from Crowder, they could sell me that. I really like Marlon Mack, I think he's sneaky good. This plan makes a ton of sense, I think Douglas has job security if he rolls with Darnold and is stocked up on draft picks the following year. Linsley and McGovern kicking over feels like a nice jump forward for the OL cause you upgrade 2 spots with one signing.

 

Love the draft, that many trades leaves me skeptical but the selections and values for the picks are spot on. I love the Tryon pick to pair with Barnett!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, football guy said:

....... The truth is that my defensiveness has nothing to do with having disagreements; I encourage debate---iron sharpens iron......

 

Actually, stone is used to sharpen iron.

Be the stone, dude.

 

I enjoy your posts and outlook, stick around!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree that it seems counterproductive to keep Darnold and then jettison his favorite WR.  But I do understand what @football guy reasoning behind it is.  In that offseason plan you are adding players that are occupying the same role in the offense as Crowder.  Factor in Crowder is on the last year of his deal, and the move would save 10 mil towards the cap,  I can see why the move would be made.  Also take into account that Juju and Sam have chemistry from their USC days (Juju has alluded to this before) so while yes you are taking away his most productive WR.  You are adding a depth of players for him to grow with, giving him some familiarity as well. 

Also like was stated before dont discount Berrios.  he may not be an all star player, but he showed nice chemistry with Sam last year as well. 

Berrios is fine in his role, which is WR4/5 depth and spot-start duty in case of injuries. I wouldn’t make or not-make any offseason starter moves because of his presence. So in this regard I kind of do discount Berrios. 

Juju is an upgrade over Crowder, but IMO the FA focus should be on filling an existing hole on this WR corps before looking to upgrade from the best one of the bunch from last year. In other words, if Juju’s perceived to be a slot receiver because that’s primarily where he was used on Pittsburgh, then pick a different FA WR, keep Crowder, and don’t worry about who Darnold used to throw to back in college (which is at least 75% played against joke DBs anyway). Looked at another way: they have a hole at WR. Swapping Juju for Crowder doesn’t fill a hole heading into the draft; it maintains one. Further, the #8 draft pick is effectively another slot receiver himself, lining up a yard closer to the tackle with a nominally-different position name.

I see this as unlikely + unrealistic. It leaves the Jets with a huge receiver problem for 2021 in terms of inexperience. This is a plan for Juju plus 3 other downfield receivers with 8 combined games of NFL experience among them (all 8 of them Mims, who was just ok as a rookie himself). That’s something you’d maybe attempt with a more accomplished & reliable veteran QB, not with the decidedly mistake-prone Darnold in his 4th tryout season.

I’d be even more skeptical of Douglas than I already am if his reclamation plan for Darnold is to have him throwing to 2 rookies, a WR with 1/2 of one meh rookie season under his belt, and talented jackass Juju Smith-Schuster as the lone “adult” receiver in the huddle. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be pretty disappointed if our first player taken in this draft is Kyle Pitts.  He's a fantastic player.  I just would be disappointed.

Pitts is being built up as some sort of magical unicorn that just simply cannot be covered in the NFL.  I just don't buy that completely.  If you are taking a TE that high, they better be Kittle or Kelce level good.  Even if Pitts approaches them in this passing game, he's got a long, long way to go to get to their level as a blocker.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree that it seems counterproductive to keep Darnold and then jettison his favorite WR.  But I do understand what @football guy reasoning behind it is.  In that offseason plan you are adding players that are occupying the same role in the offense as Crowder.  Factor in Crowder is on the last year of his deal, and the move would save 10 mil towards the cap,  I can see why the move would be made.  Also take into account that Juju and Sam have chemistry from their USC days (Juju has alluded to this before) so while yes you are taking away his most productive WR.  You are adding a depth of players for him to grow with, giving him some familiarity as well. 

Also like was stated before dont discount Berrios.  he may not be an all star player, but he showed nice chemistry with Sam last year as well. 

What you have to look at is the type of slot receiver that this new system typically utilizes.  You don’t see many traditional “slot” guys a la Crowder in these Shanny/McVeigh/Lafleur offenses.   You tend to see bigger slots like a JuJu type in those roles.  I’d rather see Crowder cut, sign JuJu and Bourne, then draft a Moore/Toney at 34.   Way more versatility with that crew.   
 

Also, I could definitely see Waddle slipping some, Bama’ s pro day isn’t until March 23rd but word is he’s still dealing with lingering effects from his injury and may not test as well as he should.  Will be interesting to see how he progresses in the next few weeks.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I applaud the level of effort you put into it. I could disagree with certain players and I think the amount of trading is a bit over the top, but that is splitting hairs. I will say that I have a hard time believing Douglas, who has openly stated he believes in building both lines first, will go with offensive skill position players with his first 2 picks (even if they are very good talents). 

I do like the tacit approval of mock off seasons on the main board, I've always relegated mine to the draft forum. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

@football guy

Love the work here. Excellent.

I prefer Carl Lawson from the Bengals over Barnett + Milano. I'd prefer to draft a LB in this class over an edge rusher. 

Love Linsley and would be absolutely elated if we came away with Pitts and Waddle.

Low-key like the Beathard pickup and the St Juste pick. St Juste had a great senior bowl practice week and looks very much in the Sherman mold of a CB. 

Any thoughts on Carl Lawson? Been learning a lot about the dude - would love to see him and Quinnen on the same d-line during passing situations...

I was begging them to draft Lawson in rd 3 a few years back

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I applaud the level of effort you put into it. I could disagree with certain players and I think the amount of trading is a bit over the top, but that is splitting hairs. I will say that I have a hard time believing Douglas, who has openly stated he believes in building both lines first, will go with offensive skill position players with his first 2 picks (even if they are very good talents). 

I do like the tacit approval of mock off seasons on the main board, I've always relegated mine to the draft forum. 

But would like that change if he hit a home run in FA with some lineman?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been banging the drum for Linsley for a while now.  That is an A+

I like moving down in the first.  I like Pitts.  He could be a real weapon in this offense.  I don’t mind moving up to the raiders pick.   Any way the Jets can squeeze Trent Brown out of them while we are at it?  He seems like he could get moved, and I think we need more offensive line help.  Fant could be the swing backup.  I am ok with the Waddle pick but would rather get a guy like Micah Parsons if he falls as some have been saying.

I could definitely see a guy like Smith-Schuster, especially if sticking with Darnold.

I see the Jets going after a guy like Juszczyk. They will use a fb.  

Not a fan of Milano or Barnett though.  Still a need at guard.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Just curious how you think that plays out exactly. Do they decline his option, have him play this year and then re-sign him? Or decline the option and extend him before the 2021 season? I think this board would flip if they give him 50+ million contract before the season. Thanks for the input and your opinions as always. 

No it would be before the option is due. If he doesn’t work out and the Jets move on in 2022 they’d eat like $8-10 million in dead money

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know, silly.

But seriously... you gotta explain that Hawkins one to me dude... please tell me that's your own preference and not an inside Jets HQ narrative. 

That’s me essentially stalking a Jets scout who seems “likes” an unordinary amount of content RE: Hawkins on social media lol. Jets also have been meeting with a lot of RBs of that same ilk, so it tells me they’re looking to diversify their backfield a bit. I think they feel good about Ty Johnson and aren’t ready to give up on Perine

Based on my own review: he fits what we’re trying to do in terms of being an outside zone style runner with a disciplined work ethic who can make an impact in the passing game, utilized in jet motion/sweeps, and provide a playmaking presence on offense. Think Jerick McKinnon/Matt Breida. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This is something I’ve been wondering for some time. When do teams stop searching for the next big thing (trading tons of assets) at QB and just start building teams where almost any QB can be successful? The Colts are the first team to kind of attempt this. They’ve made the playoffs 2 of the last three years and have had a different QB each time. Now they have a 4th QB.
 

They’re taking a conservative approach to finding their FQB. As opposed to locking themselves into a lottery ticket and forced to stick with him for 4 or 5 years, they are just churning QB’s. Eventually they are going to hit.

How about the Bucs as another

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, genot said:

We could take Waddle at #8. I think i saw you having Parsons at #3. He has some very serious character issues. That could really cause him to slide. Big time.

I think some of the character issue stuff is getting overblown (although it’s legitimate) and I think that Miami trusts Flores and his staff to manage personalities. At the end of the day he’s the best defender in the draft and it’s not close. He’s the guy who “shocks” on draft day 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Several things I like, but the ones I would not really outweigh the good stuff in here.  Hopefully much of what you're being fed is smoke or will shift as the offseason moves along.

Pros

  • Signing C Corely Linsley:  He ought to be our # 1 target this offseason.  His addition alone would nearly fix all of the team's IOL issues with one move.  
  • Drafting WR Jaylen Waddle at 17 overall:   If we're indeed going to move around the board, this would be a tremendous pick to make in the mid-1st.  I can also get behind Pitts at 8 overall, because he looks like a special talent.  But there's significant downside to this if he doesn't translate in the pros.  Historically, the NFL draft has a graveyard full of highly drafted TE's who didn't pan out.  
  • Re-signing Maye:  Especially at the numbers you suggest.  That would put him outside of the top 5 paid Safeties, which would be good.  Homegrown player and one of the few Macc picks that worked out, which makes him worth retaining.  The added bonus is he'd be getting paid before Jamal Adams, which would make JN disucssions the subsequent day or 2 after the signing absolutely delicious.
  • Re-signing Pat Elflein:  Like what he brought to the table last season and his ceiling.  Good pickup when we acquired him and well worth keeping around.
  • Signing WR Marquise Goodwin on the cheap:  An ideal low-risk, high-reward type of signing at the WR4/WR5 spot.  Certainly has to be a better option than Josh Doctson would have been.

 

Cons

  • Signing JuJu Smith-Schuster and trading Jamison Crowder for a 4th rounder:  I tie these moves together because it's essentially an attempt to upgrade the slot receiver spot.  Smith-Schuster is absolutely last on my WR wishlist, and I really hope Douglas changes his mind here.  Hopefully Chris Godwin springs loose and makes this moot, as I believe both @football guy and @Mogglez have noted Godwin is the # 1 overall player on JD's free agent wishlist.  I'd much rather retain Crowder, even at his high cap number, than make this move for Smith-Schuster.  The Steelers let WR's go for a reason.  
  • Retaining Sam Darnold and not drafting/signing another QB of significance:  I've already stated my reasons innumerable times on this one, lol.  Darnold being the unquestioned 2021 starter, and sacrificing the draft capital we'd get in a deal for him in the process, would be a fireable offense for Douglas.  It doesn't matter that they're high on him.  It doesn't matter how many other teams are high on him.  There at bare minimum needs to be legitimate competition for the QB job in 2021.  There would be no excuse for this.  James Morgan had better be very good in camp for this to make any sense.  
  • Signing LB Matt Milano:  No.  God.  Please no.  No more big money tied up in a Linebacker who doesn't rush the passer.  Milano is a very nice player who does a lot of things well.  But this would be the ultimate Jetsy signing.  I hope and pray this does not come to pass.
  • Signing RB Marlon Mack:  I just don't see a point to this.  Spending any money of significance on what amounts to a JAG free agent RB in this one-cut back system doesn't make much sense to me.  If we're going to acquire a veteran, I'd much rather  look to trade a low round pick for 49er RB Jeff Wilson@Paradis
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think some of the character issue stuff is getting overblown (although it’s legitimate) and I think that Miami trusts Flores and his staff to manage personalities. At the end of the day he’s the best defender in the draft and it’s not close. He’s the guy who “shocks” on draft day 

He 's somebody i thought the Jet's might consider if we traded down with Carolina, and he was still available. Interesting info Mr Football guy. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, football guy said:

That’s me essentially stalking a Jets scout who seems “likes” an unordinary amount of content RE: Hawkins on social media lol. Jets also have been meeting with a lot of RBs of that same ilk, so it tells me they’re looking to diversify their backfield a bit. I think they feel good about Ty Johnson and aren’t ready to give up on Perine

Based on my own review: he fits what we’re trying to do in terms of being an outside zone style runner with a disciplined work ethic who can make an impact in the passing game, utilized in jet motion/sweeps, and provide a playmaking presence on offense. Think Jerick McKinnon/Matt Breida. 

 

Please @football guy.... help me stop another tragedy.  Hawkins is not the guy. Repeat, not the guy... Last year I hung a lantern on James Robinson and was hopefully after seeing the Jets actually met with him (unbelievable given his FCS small school pedigree)... but nope. So much for the "they're listening!!..." dream lol

Help me get this into the right hands, my man... He's a Jeff Wilson clone when he came out of North Texas... He can be had for a late pick, if not UDFA... get the word into the building and i'll fly you to Tahiti...  

 @Jetsfan80 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Help me get this into the right hands, my man... He's a Jeff Wilson clone when he came out of North Texas... He can be had for a late pick, if not UDFA... get the word into the building and i'll fly you to Tahiti...  

 @Jetsfan80 

 

 

When I was a young boy, my mama said to me:
"There's only one Running Back in the world for you, and he probably lives in Tahiti"

I'd go the whole wide world, I'd go the whole wide world, just to find him, 
Or maybe he's in the Bahamas, where the Caribbean Sea is blue
Weeping in a tropical, moonlit night because nobody's told about you


[Chorus: Wreckless Eric]
I'd go the whole wide world! I'd go the whole wide world, just to find him!
I'd go the whole wide world! I'd go the whole wide world, to find out where they hide him!
I'd go the whole wide world! I'd go the whole wide world, just to find him!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Berrios is fine in his role, which is WR4/5 depth and spot-start duty in case of injuries. I wouldn’t make or not-make any offseason starter moves because of his presence. So in this regard I kind of do discount Berrios. 

Juju is an upgrade over Crowder, but IMO the FA focus should be on filling an existing hole on this WR corps before looking to upgrade from the best one of the bunch from last year. In other words, if Juju’s perceived to be a slot receiver because that’s primarily where he was used on Pittsburgh, then pick a different FA WR, keep Crowder, and don’t worry about who Darnold used to throw to back in college (which is at least 75% played against joke DBs anyway). Looked at another way: they have a hole at WR. Swapping Juju for Crowder doesn’t fill a hole heading into the draft; it maintains one. Further, the #8 draft pick is effectively another slot receiver himself, lining up a yard closer to the tackle with a nominally-different position name.

I see this as unlikely + unrealistic. It leaves the Jets with a huge receiver problem for 2021 in terms of inexperience. This is a plan for Juju plus 3 other downfield receivers with 8 combined games of NFL experience among them (all 8 of them Mims, who was just ok as a rookie himself). That’s something you’d maybe attempt with a more accomplished & reliable veteran QB, not with the decidedly mistake-prone Darnold in his 4th tryout season.

I’d be even more skeptical of Douglas than I already am if his reclamation plan for Darnold is to have him throwing to 2 rookies, a WR with 1/2 of one meh rookie season under his belt, and talented jackass Juju Smith-Schuster as the lone “adult” receiver in the huddle. 

Can't disagree with your line of reasoning here.  They would need some veteran presence for use I think and you can make the argument that Juju is not that type of guy.  He does in that scenario have the jets signing Marquise Goodwin I believe who I would assume would hold that veteran presence (been in the league 7 years to Crowders 6).  It depends how they view what Juju and Crowder could do.  Crowder has had little success on the outside in his career, and Juju limited success so they are in a similar boat.  I get your point of choosing another WR to fill that hole, and I think in a perfect world they would sign Samuel who i think offers some more flexibility, but it sounds like he's going to be too in demand. 

Your point is well taken though that there would be a distinct lack of experience if you just had Goodwin leading the charge with 7 years and everyone else at 4 or less.  We'll see, I think due to position limitations and salary cap relief Crowder is unfortunately one of those guys on the bubble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

What you have to look at is the type of slot receiver that this new system typically utilizes.  You don’t see many traditional “slot” guys a la Crowder in these Shanny/McVeigh/Lafleur offenses.   You tend to see bigger slots like a JuJu type in those roles.  I’d rather see Crowder cut, sign JuJu and Bourne, then draft a Moore/Toney at 34.   Way more versatility with that crew.   
 

Also, I could definitely see Waddle slipping some, Bama’ s pro day isn’t until March 23rd but word is he’s still dealing with lingering effects from his injury and may not test as well as he should.  Will be interesting to see how he progresses in the next few weeks.  

This is a really good point as well.  Crowder is a smaller bodied slot guy at only 5'9 177 where as a guy like JuJu is on the bigger end of the spectrum at 6'1 215 (which is why he has some position flexibility on the outside).   The other offenses you reference use a number of guys in the slot:

Kupp: 6'2 208

Woods: 6'0 195

Adams:6'1 215

D. Samuel: 5'11 215

Aiyuk: 6'0 205 

Bourne: 6'1 203 

C. Samuel: 5'11 195

You certainly look at these style receivers and see a trend here.  While i think mims can grow into the role that Julio played in ATL when Shanny was there (obviously in a lesser capacity because lets face it... no one is julio), we dont have many guys on the roster that fit that 5'11-6'2 190-215 frame.  Crowder seems out of place from a physical perspective compared to others in similar schemes/roles.  

Berrios physically fits better albeit on the shorter side at 5'9 195. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 7:23 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

I would be pretty disappointed if our first player taken in this draft is Kyle Pitts.  He's a fantastic player.  I just would be disappointed.

Pitts is being built up as some sort of magical unicorn that just simply cannot be covered in the NFL.  I just don't buy that completely.  If you are taking a TE that high, they better be Kittle or Kelce level good.  Even if Pitts approaches them in this passing game, he's got a long, long way to go to get to their level as a blocker.

I find myself agreeing, we’ve been hurt by the TE position in the draft too many times. I think I’m just traumatized by it. TE early scares the hell out of me. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, maury77 said:

I applaud the level of effort you put into it. I could disagree with certain players and I think the amount of trading is a bit over the top, but that is splitting hairs. I will say that I have a hard time believing Douglas, who has openly stated he believes in building both lines first, will go with offensive skill position players with his first 2 picks (even if they are very good talents). 

I do like the tacit approval of mock off seasons on the main board, I've always relegated mine to the draft forum. 

While I agree with you on how DJ wants to build this team from the trenches out, I don't see a negative with taking Chase (WR) with a trade back, and then targeting the best OL at 23, that of course also depends on whether we get Lindsey in FA. As I've stated in the past, we need a STUD Center and OG either in FA or the draft in 2021 going forward to add to this line to make it one of the best in the NFL. I'd prefer one OL FA, then draft because of the money issue, and getting to keep them on the cheap for 4-5 year contracts.

I also want JD to be aggressive this year trading up and down to target the players he and the coaching staff want. To me a GM that just sits and waits for the draft to come to him is not the type of GM we need. There are still some good QB's that could be had at 34, that would benefit from sitting the 1st year and then playing in 2022. Same can be said in a mock draft SIM where I was able to get Sam Ehlinger in the 6th round. Don't know much about him but when the SIM ended, he graded out as an A+ for where he was taken. Could he also benefit from sitting a year under Lafleur ???  Who knows lol...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...