If Sewell is the pick who will play LT?

48 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Trash,IMO is too strong of a word. To be sure they didn’t improve as much as expected but there were a few mitigating factors no. 1 being the lockdown training camps, and no. 2 injuries kept the starting line up from being in the same game at the same time.  To be sure there are places they can upgrade but if these same guys had a real training camp and all stayed on the field they’d look much better.

No, actually trash might be an understatement. They were ranked 30th overall and were dead last in percentage of dropbacks where qb pressure was allowed in 2.5 seconds or less, with almost 30% of dropbacks where the qb had less than 2.5 seconds until he had to run for his life. COMPLETE TRASH.  

They also were dead last in rushing yds gained before contact with 1.1 yds. 

In other words they sucked pretty badly

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didnt bechton give up 7 sacks and commit 7 penalties? Isnt he ranked in the top 10 tackles by nobody?   Why do people keep saying he was dominant or elite. He had a promising rookie season d

Drafting Sewell at 2 would be a complete surrender and declaration that Mekhi Becton was a bust...after 1 year....Joe Douglas would be declaring his first ever draft pick a failure after less than a y

It's either gonna be a QB or a trade. He's not taking a LT a year after taking a really good LT at #11. The team has too many holes to use his most valuable asset -that #2 pick- on one of the few posi

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, slats said:

It's either gonna be a QB or a trade. He's not taking a LT a year after taking a really good LT at #11. The team has too many holes to use his most valuable asset -that #2 pick- on one of the few positions where he already has a solid starter. It's just not going to happen. 

You do realize that becton gave up 7 sacks....and didnt grade out too well at pass blocking 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
24 minutes ago, slats said:

It's either gonna be a QB or a trade. He's not taking a LT a year after taking a really good LT at #11. The team has too many holes to use his most valuable asset -that #2 pick- on one of the few positions where he already has a solid starter. It's just not going to happen. 

Teams need 2 tackles 

Coach Saleh came from a program that paid Joe Staley, drafted Mike mcglinch and then traded for Trent Williams 

Only Jets fans think 1 tackle is enough 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

You do realize that becton gave up 7 sacks....and didnt grade out too well at pass blocking 

It was known that he'd be something of a project as a pass blocker, but he's obviously dominant in the run game. Nothing happened last year that screams still needing help at LT. And, like I said, they won't be taking one at #2 - it's a QB or a trade (down or Watson). 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Teams need 2 tackles 

Coach Saleh came from a program that paid Joe Staley, drafted Mike mcglinch and then traded for Trent Williams 

Teams don't need two highly drafted OTs, especially with teams with holes all over the roster except at LT. 

Most people would say immediately to move Becton to the right, but wouldnt that break the continuity he built in his rookie year? Mekhi was dominant all year at LT, I would not mess around by moving Mekhi. But if you keep Becon at LT would that upset Sewell? Afterall, right tackles dont make anywhere near enough as left tackles and having a young Becton on the left would condemn Sewell to a life sentence at RT, would Sewell be OK with that? 
Does it really matter ? I'm actually being serious ... do tackles have a difficult time playing on the opposite side?

Both guys are studs.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If your GM, whose speciality is OL, has to use consecutive first round picks on tackles, then you should probably get a new GM. 

He signed George Fant and gvr and drafted cam Clark 

So yes his specialty is OL and no he's not any good at finding gems there 

The truth is that tackle is an athletic gifts job and a guy who can start in the NFL doesn't drop beyond Rd 2. These players are rare and Sewell is the rarest of them all 

Just now, slats said:

Teams don't need two highly drafted OTs, especially with teams with holes all over the roster except at LT. 

Yes they do. Why is cinci hoping Sewell drops to 5 when they already used a top 10 pick on jonah Williams? 

Because they took the young qb last year and his knee exploded by week 9

The Titans drafted lewan and Conklin top 10 and built in a program. The raiders used a mid 1 on kolton Miller and made Trent brown the highest paid lineman in the game 

Most teams need 2 tackles, both studs. There are countless examples. 

Only Jets fans think that Becton one person is enough and they should give cheap at the other 4 spots 

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

We have too many needs, we should trade down if we can find a trading partner.  I doubt Sewell will be there at 4, he definitely will not be there at eight. Rashawn Slater is value and need at 8 if we find a trade down partner.

As a fail safe in case we can't find a traded down partner, Sewell does need to be asked if he will play RT in his rookie contract. I don't think Becton stays healthy but if he does, and Sewell will agree to play RT in his rookie contract, then failing a trade down take Sewell.

Towards the end of either Becton's or Sewell's rookie contract trade one of them. LT tackles are a valuable trade piece; we are all aware of the advantage being that you reset back to a rookie pay scale on one of those contracts instead of paying both tackles and taking up a giant slice of your salary cap.

The worst case scenario with Sewell is they have to trade one for a high first Rd pick 

There's no scenario where he busts 

The worst case with Wilson is Chad Pennington and the worst case with fields is Haskins. These guys at 2 are coin flips and the Jets being absolutely awful makes it almost a lock they bust here 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Binary Bitonti strikes again. 

It's not rocket science. If you shout at the draft and demand a qb when there is no qb, you'll get a lump of coal 

The top of the draft is not a place to consider need. That's called reaching 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Teams need 2 tackles 

I don’t think that’s true at all. The key is whether or not it’s smart to draft a tackle with the two pick.  This is a premium pick and should be used for a premium player.  QBs comes to mind as do edge, wr and even cb.  I get that Lt is getting to be a pretty necessary position but they have one in Becton and need interior lineman over a right tackle at the moment.  Those guys can be found in later rounds.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes they do. Why is cinci hoping Sewell drops to 5 when they already used a top 10 pick on jonah Williams? 

The Titans drafted lewan and Conklin top 10 and built in a program. The raiders used a mid 1 on kolton Miller and made Trent brown the highest paid lineman in the game 

Only Jets fans think that Becton one person is enough and they should give cheap at the other 4 spots 

And the Bengals, Titans, and Raiders have been stacking titles ever since.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

our o-line is trash and we saw how that works, even for an offense of the chief's caliber. it's by far the most consequential problem for our offense and MUST be addressed. thankfully JD is quoted as saying that he believes in, first and foremost, a strong line on both sides of the ball

Yeah, but not at 2. That's for 23 and after.

• Upvote 1
Just now, bitonti said:

It's not rocketed science. If you shout at the draft and demand a qb when there is no qb, you'll get a lump of coal 

The top of the draft is not a place to consider need. That's called reaching 

Your posts are called reaching. Nobody thinks the Jets only need one tackle. Get ahold of yourself man. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not gonna bother going back and forth with you on this one, I'd just advise you to not get your hopes up for something that absolutely will not happen. It's a QB or a trade. They're not looking at any other options. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Teams need 2 tackles 

Agree with this especially if the Jets stay at #2. If they are able to trade back then I prefer a primo WR and OL at #23.

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, slats said:

It was known that he'd be something of a project as a pass blocker, but he's obviously dominant in the run game. Nothing happened last year that screams still needing help at LT. And, like I said, they won't be taking one at #2 - it's a QB or a trade (down or Watson). 

Dominant run blocker, suspect pass blocking. Sounds like a right tackle to me

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Penei Sewell and Ja Marr Chase are the two can't miss prospects in this draft.

We have four first rounders over the next two years.

If you don't trade out of 2, one of them should be the choice. 

Who cares if we signed a receiver in free agency, who cares if either Becton or Sewell has to play RT. 

This team needs talent everywhere. 

Think it’s fair to say both Becton and Sewell will probably mind if they play right tackle. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure but having no WR's, TE's, CB, Pass Rushers and QB IS a pretty big problem to have.

No one is saying having Sewell wouldn't be great but there are far more pressing needs on this team.

Not necessarily. For me there's two factors to be considered:

1) Is the value there? Sometimes staying at 2 and picking Sewell is the best move. Sometimes trading down doesn't necessarily get you the wealth of talent you thought you were sure to get.

2) The Jets have needs everywhere. So this draft, regardless oh how it's handled, does NOT fix the Jets. This rebuild, regardless of how successful this draft turns out to be, Continues past 2021. Honestly, I think you could make a case to say no matter where the Jets are picking they have the benefit of taking the BPA.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not gonna bother going back and forth with you on this one, I'd just advise you to not get your hopes up for something that absolutely will not happen. It's a QB or a trade. They're not looking at any other options. 

They are the Jets 

I never get my hopes up 

I fully expect us to look back at Sewell like we look at Quenton Nelson: a huge missed opportunity 

If they did the smart thing that would have surprising 

Side note It sounds like you've got your heart set on qb or a trade. Don't get your hopes up too high buddy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I honestly don't care which is Left and which is right.  Two elite road-grader O-Tackles would be awesome for rebuilding this pathetic Offense. 

I think the hand-wringing of ego and future salary and the like by some fans is entirely unjustified negativity.

Orlando Pace JR is literally trying to leave the Ravens for that exact reason. It’s not that far fetched. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Orlando Pace JR is literally trying to leave the Ravens for that exact reason. It’s not that far fetched. 

Orlando brown has said that he will only play lt to honor his father Zeus brown rip 

Mekhi Becton could just be satisfied with money. Like Trent brown and every other stud right now tackle 

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

Dominant run blocker, suspect pass blocking. Sounds like a right tackle to me

Can't get hung up on the perfect tackle when there are still so many other areas to address on the team. And the Jets won't. Becton's only 21-years-old. He's not even used to being as big as he is, yet. Hell, he may not be done growing. The Jets are fine there, and JD recognizes how valuable that #2 pick is, and he isn't going to blow it on the "safe OL," he's gonna either get his QB, or a windfall of picks. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If Sam Darnold is your QB, any tackle you put out there is going to give up 7-10 sacks. Darnold’s brain isn’t going to magically improve because your right tackle gives him and extra half a second to not know what the defense is doing

The Sewell pick is not just about lock down pass protection 

It's about running in both directions. Last year, whatever offense the Jets had was left handed thru highway 77 

Team's knew it. 

• Upvote 1