If Sewell is the pick who will play LT?

Slikmojet!

Just now, slats said:

Can't get hung up on the perfect tackle when there are still so many other areas to address on the team. And the Jets won't. Becton's only 21-years-old. He's not even used to being as big as he is, yet. Hell, he may not be done growing. The Jets are fine there, and JD recognizes how valuable that #2 pick is, and he isn't going to blow it on the "safe OL," he's gonna either get his QB, or a windfall of picks. 

I'll be happy with Sewell or the windfall. Neither of 2 QBs are going to be anything but a disappointment on this team imo

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Sam Darnold is your QB, any tackle you put out there is going to give up 7-10 sacks. Darnold’s brain isn’t going to magically improve because your right tackle gives him and extra half a second to not know what the defense is doing

On 30% of dropbacks this oline allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less. Worst in the league. That's Darnolds fault??

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Sam Darnold is your QB, any tackle you put out there is going to give up 7-10 sacks. Darnold’s brain isn’t going to magically improve because your right tackle gives him and extra half a second to not know what the defense is doing

I like how everyone relates good QB play to good O line play but ignore it when great left tackle play just happens to occur with a good decisive QB play. Has  Brady ever had a bad left tackle? Oh yea this lineman are allowed to hold. Haha, or their job becomes easier when your QB processes quickly and decisively. Think it’s safe to say Sewell doesn’t want to come here to protect Sam’s blindside , like at all. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, neckdemon said:

I'll be happy with Sewell or the windfall. Neither of 2 QBs are going to be anything but a disappointment on this team imo

I think this is why they're taking their time on a decision with Darnold, and why their QB prospect evaluations will be as thorough and in depth as they possibly can be. If they, like you, don't love the QBs, they'll take their favorite trade offer. They're going to get a few. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, slats said:

It's either gonna be a QB or a trade. He's not taking a LT a year after taking a really good LT at #11. The team has too many holes to use his most valuable asset -that #2 pick- on one of the few positions where he already has a solid starter. It's just not going to happ

Well sure, but you can still trade down and still get Sewell. And that has nothing to do with what Redlichtie is claiming. He's saying JD would never take Sewell because it would be admitting failure on Mekhi Becton. You have to play attention and understand what we're debating.

Good problem to have, although I would absolutely not advocate that at #2. I get the allure of it but just seems like to me getting a bunch of players is better than one.

Anyway, Sewell was a RT all throughout high school and was even projected as a G at one point. He reminds me of Tristan Wirfs. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and Becton’s clearly comfortable on the left.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NYJ1 said:

Well sure, but you can still trade down and still get Sewell. And that has nothing to do with what Redlichtie is claiming. He's saying JD would never take Sewell because it would be admitting failure on Mekhi Becton. You have to play attention and understand what we're debating.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying he hit on Becton and therefore will use his most valuable asset to address (an)other position(s) of need. That pick is too valuable to use it on one of the few positions where the team is in good shape. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Orlando brown has said that he will only play lt to honor his father Zeus brown rip 

Mekhi Becton could just be satisfied with money. Like Trent brown and every other stud right now tackle 

Yeah he also said the money didn’t matter. Please give me an example of the money not mattering, yeah, it’s the money, it’s always the money. You 100% know that. 

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You arent trading down and getting Sewell. He likely wont make it past the dolphins 

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Yes that contract dispute that might happen 5 years from now after he makes first team all Pro multiple times is gonna be a kick in the butt

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Colts had Andrew Luck on the roster when they took Quenton Nelson.

Luck was about to retire because they waited too long to make that Nelson pick. Andrew Luck is a cautionary tale about building a line before drafting a savior. Luck should be playing right now he retired before 30.

The colts screwed up luck just like the Jets banged out darnold and are about to screw up the next qb 

Watching darnold get butchered back there to the point where he's seeing ghosts, why would the next guy have a fighting chance? Because of hope? 

Maybe there is a scenario where wilson becomes Mormon Mahomes. That time line does not take place in new york. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I honestly don't care which is Left and which is right.  Two elite road-grader O-Tackles would be awesome for rebuilding this pathetic Offense. 

I think the hand-wringing of ego and future salary and the like by some fans is entirely unjustified negativity.

True. But trading down with the Falcons, yielding additional picks, and still getting Sewell is even better...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Luck was about to retire because they waited too long to make that Nelson pick. Andrew Luck is a cautionary tale about building a line before drafting a savior. Luck should be playing right now he retired before 30.

The colts screwed up luck just like the Jets banged out darnold and are about to screw up the next qb 

Watching darnold get butchered back there to the point where he's seeing ghosts, why would the next guy have a fighting chance? Because of hope? 

Maybe there is a scenario where wilson becomes Mormon Mahomes. That time line does not take place in new york. 

None of that isn’t true. But drafting Sewell isn’t the only way to build an O line. We already picked a left tackle high, wouldn’t it make sense to pay attention to the three interior guys as well? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Andrew Luck was sacked 18 times in 16 starts during his last season in the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah he also said the money didn’t matter. Please give me an example of the money not mattering, yeah, it’s the money, it’s always the money. You 100% know that. 

The case could be made that Becton (and brown) are high end rt and will be paid as such when the time comes. These guys could be all pros at rt but their lt projection has an athletic limit. Neither is David bakthairi and never will be. They are Marcus McNeill types using size and reach against the faster edge rushers. 

All of this is to say the Jets can pay Becton 18 and Sewell 20. Shoot they could do it right now 75 million under the cap. 

It really comes down to personality. Using Orlando's brown, who's dad once threw a flag back at a ref, as an example can be problematic. He's an erratic dude and his combine was an example.

Becton might just be happy with the piles of money 

Everyone keeps talking about “premium position”.  Quentin Nelson is a freaking Guard for Pete’s sake that was drafted 6th overall and if there was a redraft he’d probably be the 3rd player taken in that draft

• Upvote 1

The case could be made that Becton (and brown) are high end rt and will be paid as such when the time comes. These guys could be all pros at rt but their lt projection has an athletic limit. Neither is David bakthairi and never will be. They are Marcus McNeill types using size and reach against the faster edge rushers. 

All of this is to say the Jets can pay Becton 18 and Sewell 20. Shoot they could do it right now 75 million under the cap. 

It really comes down to personality. Using Orlando's brown, who's dad once threw a flag back at a ref, as an example can be problematic. He's an erratic dude and his combine was an example.

Becton might just be happy with the piles of money 

That could be true and I appreciate that. But maybe the guy that got  a solid gold and Diamond encrusted plate saying “ Big Ticket” may have a bit of an ego and not appreciate a demotion after one year in the league. . I’ll agree it can fall either way. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If you have stud tackles, interior guys have an easy job. Ask pat elflein 

You know that better than I do. I do  know our O  went from nice to insane after putting Big  Red between the young Mangold  and the young Brick. Think it safe to say it go’s both ways, just like Shane. 

• Haha 1