If Sewell is the pick who will play LT?

Slikmojet!

8 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Most people would say immediately to move Becton to the right, but wouldnt that break the continuity he built in his rookie year? Mekhi was dominant all year at LT, I would not mess around by moving Mekhi. But if you keep Becon at LT would that upset Sewell? Afterall, right tackles dont make anywhere near enough as left tackles and having a young Becton on the left would condemn Sewell to a life sentence at RT, would Sewell be OK with that? 

FWIW I do not believe the Jets should even glance at a guy like Sewell if they are not going to take a QB. Trading out of that pick and accumulating more draft picks would be the correct thing to do if they are not targeting a QB whether that be Watson or any of the QB's in the draft not named Lawrence.

With that being said I think Becton would excel as a RT if the Jets drafted Sewell. Becton was and will probably be a beast moving forward but his weakness this year was pass protection. Taking him away from the QB's blind side and making him the guy that clears the path for a top running game would be awesome to watch.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Smashmouth said:

FWIW I do not believe the Jets should even glance at a guy like Sewell if they are not going to take a QB. Trading out of that pick and accumulating more draft picks would be the correct thing to do if they are not targeting a QB whether that be Watson or any of the QB's in the draft not named Lawrence.

With that being said I think Becton would excel as a RT if the Jets drafted Sewell. Becton was and will probably be a beast moving forward but his weakness this year was pass protection. Taking him away from the QB's blind side and making him the guy that clears the path for a top running game would be awesome to watch.

100% true. 

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not saying that. I'm saying he hit on Becton and therefore will use his most valuable asset to address (an)other position(s) of need. That pick is too valuable to use it on one of the few positions where the team is in good shape. 

Nonsense. Like I said already, you go where the talent is. Just because Douglas hit on Becton does NOT mean he'll ignore the rest of the OL because of it. And the team is NOT in good shape along the OL. What team were you watching last season. The OL besides maybe WR was the biggest problem area the Jets had last season. The idea that JD will have prejudice against taking another Tackle because he already hit on ONE, is so completely silly. Lol

• Upvote 2

I'll admittedly say, from a top down perspective, that trading down is probably the most advantageous approach for the NYJ when considering they are rebuilding. More likely than not he'll use the #2 pick in trade to get Deshaun Watson. If not he'll trade down.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You know that better than I do. I do  know our O  went from nice to insane after putting Big  Red between the young Mangold  and the young Brick. Think it safe to say it go’s both ways, just like Shane. 

Using this metaphor they have a nick and are short a brick before thuney can be a Faneca. There's still a chance he gets 2nd franchise tag btw 

38 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

True. But trading down with the Falcons, yielding additional picks, and still getting Sewell is even better...

Unquestionably, if that is possible.

As I said elsewhere about the QB crop, I'm not 100% sold on Sewell either, that year off bothers me more than I care to admit.

Ultimately, I just want to see a major successful effort to raise the overall talent level of the Jets Offense that has immediate impacts in 2021.  I am not patient at this point.

If that means we sign a WR and draft a few OL and a RB, great.  If we draft 2x WR's high and a few OL, great.  But regardless of the combination, we absolutely must focus our effort on offense.

If we continue down the failed path of "Defense Wins Championships" I'll be very frustrated.  Our franchise has been chasing this dragon for most of the last 30 years, to no real results.  The only times we've competed legitimately, it was because we had higher ranked offenses that year.  

The time has come to build the Jets to the high-flying, high-scoring team that plays the modern NFL game and wins by outscoring teams.

Sewell could be a huge piece to that.  But so could lots of other people at that #2 pick, or in a trade down scenario.  Good to have options.

If we draft a DT, Edge, CB or heaven help us a Safety at #2 OR #23, I will be unhappy.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

If we pick Sewel, within about 2 years we will have an Orlando Brown situation with one of them.

How's is that a bad thing? If anything that would represent the best possible outcome. When most teams LT go down it create chaos. Look at the Packers for example. Actually look no further then ourselves. Some team draft these stud tackles and have to reclamate them to guard. So for a team to have successful draft not only two good tackles (LT and RT) but two good LTs is rare. Ravens if anything have a great problem.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That could be true and I appreciate that. But maybe the guy that got  a solid gold and Diamond encrusted plate saying “ Big Ticket” may have a bit of an ego and not appreciate a demotion after one year in the league. . I’ll agree it can fall either way. 

For all his big talk Orlando brown is still a Baltimore raven and under contract. It's going to take a mid first to pry him away and his new team will have to give him 20 mil plus. Let's see if all that actually happens. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

How's is that a bad thing? If anything that would represent the best possible outcome. When most teams LT go down it create chaos. Look at the Packers for example. Actually look no further then ourselves. Some team draft these stud tackles and have to reclamate them to guard. So for a team to have successful draft not only two good tackles (LT and RT) but two good LTs is rare. Ravens if anything have a great problem.

Brown is demanding to be traded because he wants to play LT where the big money is.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Brown is demanding to be traded because he wants to play LT where the big money is.

Orlando brown specifically said that he wants to play lt to honor his dead father. Even if the ravens paid him lt money that's not what he wants. It's an odd request from an odd dude 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As I said elsewhere about the QB crop, I'm not 100% sold on Sewell either, that year off bothers me more than I care to admit.

Ultimately, I just want to see a major successful effort to raise the overall talent level of the Jets Offense that has immediate impacts in 2021.  I am not patient at this point.

If that means we sign a WR and draft a few OL and a RB, great.  If we draft 2x WR's high and a few OL, great.  But regardless of the combination, we absolutely must focus our effort on offense.

If we continue down the failed path of "Defense Wins Championships" I'll be very frustrated.  Our franchise has been chasing this dragon for most of the last 30 years, to no real results.  The only times we've competed legitimately, it was because we had higher ranked offenses that year.  

The time has come to build the Jets to the high-flying, high-scoring team that plays the modern NFL game and wins by outscoring teams.

Sewell could be a huge piece to that.  But so could lots of other people at that #2 pick, or in a trade down scenario.  Good to have options.

If we draft a DT, Edge, CB or heaven help us a Safety at #2 OR #23, I will be unhappy.

Well, you can bet some combination thereof is exactly what Joe will do. I don't see him taking strictly defense, but I can certainly see him going where the talent is. If that means taking a defensive player, I can get on board. I don't think Joe should be locked into one specific thought process. But like I said, I still believe, and this is only my opinion, that JD will either trade away the number 2 pick to acquire DW or he'll certainly trade down and take advantage of the equity in that pick.

45 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Nonsense. Like I said already, you go where the talent is. Just because Douglas hit on Becton does NOT mean he'll ignore the rest of the OL because of it. And the team is NOT in good shape along the OL. What team were you watching last season. The OL besides maybe WR was the biggest problem area the Jets had last season. The idea that JD will have prejudice against taking another Tackle because he already hit on ONE, is so completely silly. Lol

And yet, he will not. 

QB, WR, Edge, CB, RB, TE, all in worse shape than the OT position. He’s not taking Sewell at #2. He’ll either fall for a QB or he’ll trade down. Those are the only options he’s looking at. He’s going over the QBs, in particular, with a fine-tooth comb, and probably not spending more than five minutes on Sewell. Because he’s not an option. 

This board has a serious OL fetish. He’ll make a major move there in FA, probably a secondary move as well, and then draft at least one more. The OL will be addressed, just not in a way that wastes his most valuable asset in basically upgrading the RT spot. That’s a guy you find in the third round. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

What if we got a left-handed QB.  Then it would get all confusing about which Tackle position is really the dominant one and maybe both guys would be happy.  Of course the only lefty in the league right now of any note is Tua.  So maybe that idea sucks.

People joke but left handed qb is a huge franchise level change. Like they have to switch everything down to the jugs machine. 

The real reason for anti lefty bias is baseball. If Trevor was lefty he'd have to play mlb. Tall leftys who can throw make millions just by showing up in the mlb. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

People joke but left handed qb is a huge franchise level change. Like they have to switch everything down to the jugs machine. 

The real reason for anti lefty bias is baseball. If Trevor was lefty he'd have to play mlb. Tall leftys who can throw make millions just by showing up in the mlb. 

My son is a 6'6" lefty.  I have been telling him that for years.  He wants to be in finance.  Yes, he's a f-king idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Nope...it was oline by a long shot. Our oline was a disaster. Our best player (becton) was a rookie who is best used as a run blocker and who was suspect at pass blocking. 

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

There’s 100 good OL prospects in this draft. Taking one 2nd overall would be malpractice on JDs part. The 2nd pick will be used on a QB, whether is drafting one 2nd or trading the pick for Watson 

Lol. This is funny. Even if there were 100 good online prospects. Theres a big difference between a decent guard prospect and a guy who looks like he is a perennial all pro talent at left tackle

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Didnt bechton give up 7 sacks and commit 7 penalties? Isnt he ranked in the top 10 tackles by nobody?

Why do people keep saying he was dominant or elite. He had a promising rookie season dominate is not a word I would use. People get too caught up in highlights.

If you watched him play, play after play, game after game, instead of focusing on looking at a piece of paper to tell you how good or how bad he was, then you would say he was elite.

He dominated in the run game, and made opposing lineman look like high school players at times, pushing them out of the way like they were children.  He got beat on occasion pass blocking, but there was enough there to watch to know that he was dominant, but still can and will get better and grow.

Was he perfect; no.  Was he dominant at times; absolutely yes.  Will he get better; we should believe he will.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

You do realize that becton gave up 7 sacks....and didnt grade out too well at pass blocking 

Penalties and sacks allowed

Becton has been extremely impressive when it comes to penalties, or lack thereof. With 407 snaps played, he has been called for just four penalties. That means he has been called for a penalty less than one percent of the time, 0.98% to be exact.

Those four penalties don’t rank him in the top-tier of offensive tackles in this category, but it’s impressive for a rookie.

He’ll have to continue to improve, as fellow rookie tackle Andrew Thomas has more snaps played, but fewer penalties, for the Giants. So, comparatively, penalties haven’t been his most impressive area. However, the small-enough amount of them is a welcomed sight.

As a team, the New York Jets have allowed 30 sacks thus far. Mekhi Becton has allowed 3 himself. That number isn’t fantastic, but it isn’t bad either.

Pass and run blocking

Penalties and sacks allowed are advanced stats that analysts look at, but in terms of on-the-field play, Becton’s blocking has been great. In fact, over the last two games specifically, against the Chargers and Dolphins, he has been outstanding. This is what he’s done over those games:

• 72 pass-block snaps
  • 1 QB pressure allowed
  • 0 sacks
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Penalties and sacks allowed

Becton has been extremely impressive when it comes to penalties, or lack thereof. With 407 snaps played, he has been called for just four penalties. That means he has been called for a penalty less than one percent of the time, 0.98% to be exact.

Those four penalties don’t rank him in the top-tier of offensive tackles in this category, but it’s impressive for a rookie.

He’ll have to continue to improve, as fellow rookie tackle Andrew Thomas has more snaps played, but fewer penalties, for the Giants. So, comparatively, penalties haven’t been his most impressive area. However, the small-enough amount of them is a welcomed sight.

As a team, the New York Jets have allowed 30 sacks thus far. Mekhi Becton has allowed 3 himself. That number isn’t fantastic, but it isn’t bad either.

Pass and run blocking

Penalties and sacks allowed are advanced stats that analysts look at, but in terms of on-the-field play, Becton’s blocking has been great. In fact, over the last two games specifically, against the Chargers and Dolphins, he has been outstanding. This is what he’s done over those games:

• 72 pass-block snaps
  • 1 QB pressure allowed
  • 0 sacks

well that only means he really stunk it up after that miami game as he let up 4 more sacks in those final 5 games. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I totally agree, and was saying that last year, too.  D should wait until the 3rd round, at the earliest.  The only thing that might change this is if the Jets sign good free agents at WR and OL (say, C Corey Linsley), and then trade the #2 down for more picks. 

Even then, I'd still be looking at offense with the first two picks, WR and RT. And yeah, even a QB early b/c I'm not optimistic about Darnold suddenly blossoming this year. We need a stud C either in Linsley or drafting in the 2nd or early 3rd round.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

If you watched him play, play after play, game after game, instead of focusing on looking at a piece of paper to tell you how good or how bad he was, then you would say he was elite.

He dominated in the run game, and made opposing lineman look like high school players at times, pushing them out of the way like they were children.  He got beat on occasion pass blocking, but there was enough there to watch to know that he was dominant, but still can and will get better and grow.

Was he perfect; no.  Was he dominant at times; absolutely yes.  Will he get better; we should believe he will.

what you would say is that he looked dominant in the run game and struggled pass blocking more often than you would like

Should we draft Wilson or Fields at 2 and then maybe double-down on Mac Jones at 23 on the basis that having TWO players capable of playing QB and dominating is a good problem to have?
or perhaps we could draft a WR or Edge because having ONE player capable of playing there would also be a nice problem to have

Dude if you need to double down your #2 overall drafted QB with an immediate competition at #23 in the same friggin draft the dudes you’re considering at 2 are not worthy of 2. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Having TWO players capable of playing LT and dominating is a GOOD problem to have....

Not when it comes time to pay them both LT money. That's a lot of money to put into two players on the line.

I just don't see this happening, nor do I want it to.

22 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

There’s 100 good OL prospects in this draft. Taking one 2nd overall would be malpractice on JDs part. The 2nd pick will be used on a QB, whether is drafting one 2nd or trading the pick for Watson 

Out of the 100 good OL prospects how many got this?

C72B2ED5-0789-494B-81C8-FFB2A9A03C1B.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1