Report: Watson Would Approve Trade to Jets

JetNation

4 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

So, by this thought process, if Douglas wasn't able to get 2 1st round picks for Jamal Adams, there's no way the Jets could ever field a contender, right?  Also, where are the Jets getting the 48th pick in the draft?

I was referring to the Jets high 2nd they have. I thought it was #48? Jamal Adams had ZERO influence or bearing on whether the Jets trade for DW....

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They do?

Pretty sure the Jets clearly have more to offer.  # 2 > # 3, plus the Jets are owners of more 1st round picks and more picks overall.

We have #2, they have #3.

We have #23, they have #18

We have Sam Darnold, they have Tua Tag.

We have 2/#2 (#34), they have 2/#4 (#36) and 2/#18 (#50)

They have a materially better roster overall.

We have 2x #1's in 2022, they have 1x #1 in 2022.

Yes, I would say they have more assets than we do, and a better ability to absorb the loss of those assets than we do.

More value in 2021 Draft.  A Better QB to trade.  

Our only advantage is 2 vs 3 and that spare 2022 #1.

/shrug

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

There's no team that can offer anything that would force the Jets to offer that.

#2 is the only way they get a top 3 QB. #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  Take on the Mercilus contract if you have to.  Essentially 4 1st round picks and pay for most of Watson's cap hit by taking on Mercilus, who can be cut the following year.

The only way the Texans get a better offer than that is if they think they can build around Tua.  I don't buy it.  The Jets still have 5 of the top 100 picks after trading Darnold for a 2nd round pick, and a pick in every round of the '22 draft.

your trade seems high.  what is the back up bid?

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, I would say they have more assets than we do, and a better ability to absorb the loss of those assets than we do.

/shrug

Texans beat writer knows their thinking better than anyone on this board

https://torotimes.com/2021/02/19/texans-jets-deshaun-watson-sweepstakes/

• Upvote 1

While I’m not for trading for Watson because of the price. And don’t think stripping your team to get a franchise QB is a good strategy. When you see what the Nets gave up to get Hardin it’s so far working out for them because Hardin is even better than I thought he was. I don’t think Watson is as good as him or as dominant. He’s good but is he great? 

only way he comes here is if Houston decides the #2 pick for their new QB they want is a deal-breaker for their plans from here

(no other team can offer them this)

unless another team gives them a crazy offer (which could happen & then we are $h*t out of luck) ... then, IMO, this is the only possibility which could land us Watson.

we'd also need to give Houston some sort of at least semi-reasonable value to save face ... but JD should not bid against himself.

#2, next year a first, & the year after a first would be the maximum I would offer if I was JD 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/shrug

If the Texans are going to trade Watson for # 2 or # 3, why would they want Darnold or Tua in the deal?  They're trading for that pick slot to draft a QB.  

The better roster part is irrelevant if the Dolphins aren't offering pieces from said roster.  Which player are they giving up in the deal?  

Meanwhile, the Jets can also assist in another way:  Taking on a salary ballast (like Whitney Mercilus).  The Dolphins really can't afford to do that.  

The Dolphins can put up an impressive set of assets, but the Jets can match or beat it because of # 2 and that extra 2022 1st round pick.  The difference between pick 23 and 18 is negligible in that light.  # 2 would be the prize.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/shrug

Fair, however comes down to how they value Tua( who i don’t think much of). The number 2 pick gives them choice of Wilson or Fields. If they value either higher than Tua, jets have more to give, especially if they put Williams in package.

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/shrug

idk that i'd consider tua better than darnold. the thing thats important is that the #2 trumps everything else. at 2 they get whatever qb they want except for lawrence. at 3 they could very well be left picking the qb they don't want

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the Texans are going to trade Watson for # 2 or # 3, why would they want Darnold or Tua in the deal?  They're trading for that pick slot to draft a QB.  

The better roster part is irrelevant if the Dolphins aren't offering pieces from said roster.  Which player are they giving up in the deal?  

Meanwhile, the Jets can also assist in another way:  Taking on a salary ballast (like Whitney Mercilus).  The Dolphins really can't afford to do that.  

The Dolphins can put up an impressive set of assets, but the Jets can match or beat it because of # 2 and that extra 2022 1st round pick.  The difference between pick 23 and 18 is negligible in that light.  # 2 would be the prize.  

Well, I guess Watson-to-the-Jets is a sure thing then and the Phins are out, since no one, including them, can compete with us. 

Great, be fun to watch him play.  Hope we draft some O-line to protect him.

20 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Fair, however comes down to how they value Tua( who i don’t think much of). The number 2 pick gives them choice of Wilson or Fields. If they value either higher than Tua, jets have more to give, especially if they put Williams in package.

Unless they rank Wilson and Lance equally, in which case #2 vs. #3 becomes meaningless, and they can get other assets to help rebuild their team.

But surely that can't be the case, everyone thinks #2 is the only thing that matters.  So it must be true.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty sure it was just a way to make fun of the argument you were making.  Similar to something like this:

LOL! So no one thinks that QW is worth Two #1 picks at this stage of his young career? He just turned 23 and is going into his 3rd full season. 3 years remaining and he is beginning to put up Aaron Donald numbers.

shocked sesame street GIF

47 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I was referring to the Jets high 2nd they have. I thought it was #48? Jamal Adams had ZERO influence or bearing on whether the Jets trade for DW....

The Jets don't have the 48th pick.

It's only relevant because you say the Jets can't trade more than #2, a 2nd round pick, and Darnold for Watson because of the other needs the Jets have to fill, so I wonder how you think Douglas could have addressed those needs if he wasn't able to make Adams trade.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, I guess Watson-to-the-Jets is a sure thing then and the Phins are out, since no one, including them, can compete with us. 

Great, be fun to watch him play.  Hope we draft some O-line to protect him.

In your snark, you were accidentally correct here.  If the Jets want Watson, and Watson is OK with going to the Jets, then the Jets will get Watson if it comes down to NY vs Miami.  Miami can come pretty close with their trade package, but ultimately fall short because of 2 vs. 3 and the extra 1st we have.  Thus we can beat any offer Miami throws up there.  

The only wrinkle here is if the Texans absolutely refuse to trade Watson within the conference.  Then Carolina becomes the top contender.  But yes, if its Jets vs Dolphins, the Jets will win.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Well they say it comes in 3’s... Houston Astros lose out on Derek Cole when he signs with the Yankees...Houston Rockets trade James Harden to the Brooklyn Nets...Houston Texans trade Deshaun Watson to the NY Jets? New York with the trifecta! Get it done JD!

Houston connection? 

Nick Mangold said this Pay attention:

“The fans are starving for quality football from the New York Jets, so that would be huge,” Mangold said. “My concern is that Houston seems to be really sticking to their guns, and they’re going to be asking for a full load of draft picks and probably everything else. For a team that I think has a lot of issues, that might not be the best course of action”

and

“It would be awesome to have a guy like Deshaun,” Mangold said. “He’s 25 years old and in his prime, he’s playing lights out and if not a top-five, definitely a top-10 quarterback in the league. It would be fantastic, I’m just concerned we have so many holes that even if we were able to trade for him, we wouldn’t be able to put the supporting cast around him to let him live up to the expectations that he’s already shown he can do.”

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Unless they rank Wilson and Lance equally, in which case #2 vs. #3 becomes meaningless, and they can get other assets to help rebuild their team.

But surely that can't be the case, everyone thinks #2 is the only thing that matters.  So it must be true.

It doesn't seem to me that teams rank rookie QB's "about the same".  There's almost always going to be a clear delineation of which QB they like more.  Thus, it doesn't make much sense for Houston to d*ck around and lose out on the top QB on their board after Lawrence.  

You were the one that claimed Miami has more asset firepower than the Jets, not us.  Your argument was 18 > 23, Tua > Darnold, and they have a better roster, yet couldn't come up with 1 player Miami could offer, or a good reason why the Texans would want EITHER Tua or Darnold in the deal when they're drafting a QB anyways.  Perhaps if you could provide this in your case you'd have a better argument.  There's no need to whine about people disagreeing with your take.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Would be great to have Watson here but only if the price is right.  This team has a lot of holes.  We need to build through the draft and not free agency.  Give up the two first rounders from Seattle and maybe throw in a mid round pick.   Otherwise it’s not worth it at all.  

We've been building through the draft for 50 years.  It's not working.

Lets try something different.

• WTF? 1

The logic of the 'Get Watson at any cost' group is astounding.

"First round picks are a crap shoot and bust often so better to trade for a known quantity than keep high picks."

But, if we give up all of our high picks we will have no talent to add to this talentless team.

"I have full confidence Douglass can add a lot of pieces lower in the draft."

"We have tons of cap space over the next few years to address the talent issue."

But Watson will take up a good chunk of that free cap space.

"No worries we still can sign many good players.  Oh we can also get a leg up in the Watson sweep stakes by taking on some of their awful contracts.....cause we have cap space."

Just now, Beerfish said:

The logic of the 'Get Watson at any cost' group is astounding.

"First round picks are a crap shoot and bust often so better to trade for a known quantity than keep high picks."

But, if we give up all of our high picks we will have no talent to add to this talentless team.

"I have full confidence Douglass can add a lot of pieces lower in the draft."

"We have tons of cap space over the next few years to address the talent issue."

But Watson will take up a good chunk of that free cap space.

"No worries we still can sign many good players.  Oh we can also get a leg up in the Watson sweep stakes by taking on some of their awful contracts.....cause we have cap space."

You're short-sighted. 

Watson can play 15 more years.  Immediately, we'll get free agents.

Two years from now, we'll have more first rounders.   That's 13 straight years of first round picks with Watson as our QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

well there's no way you are getting watson and keeping the #2 pick. and to be fair, 2 late firsts are not enough to pay......

This is true. In reality we are trading the #2 that basically equates to the QB they will draft to make sure their fans don't burn the stadium down after trading Deshaun Watson. So our compensation is more than likely Wilson and whatever else it takes. They 100% have to replace the face of the franchise. Good news is the Jets are the only team that can guarantee them Wilson that's the true value of the #2 pick in this case. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yea man thats never getting it done. Youre also being super cheap. So you offering the #2 and a random 6th for a fqb? The #2 can bust easily.

glad youre not the gm. Id give 2, 23, next years seattle 1st. Maybe even more,,,, but that should be enough

No worries... glad you're not either.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don't get it! Clue me in. @Jetsfan80 and @T0mShane thought it funny.... I don't get the Gordon Ramsey tie in.

It’s just the face, honestly. It’s the same face I make when someone argues that drafting Zach Wilson and the fourth-best offensive tackle would make us a better team than trading for Deshaun Watson

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In your snark, you were accidentally correct here.  If the Jets want Watson, and Watson is OK with going to the Jets, then the Jets will get Watson if it comes down to NY vs Miami.  Miami can come pretty close with their trade package, but ultimately fall short because of 2 vs. 3 and the extra 1st we have.  Thus we can beat any offer Miami throws up there.  

I think it bares mentioning that Houston would be trading Watson for the pick that should be theirs in the first place! The optics of trading their Pro Bowl QB back to the team that fleeced O'Brien (and then signed to a $66 mil/3 year extension) is terrible for the fan base. 

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1