Report: Watson Would Approve Trade to Jets

JetNation

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In your snark, you were accidentally correct here.  If the Jets want Watson, and Watson is OK with going to the Jets, then the Jets will get Watson if it comes down to NY vs Miami.  Miami can come pretty close with their trade package, but ultimately fall short because of 2 vs. 3 and the extra 1st we have.  Thus we can beat any offer Miami throws up there.  

The only wrinkle here is if the Texans absolutely refuse to trade Watson within the conference.  Then Carolina becomes the top contender.  But yes, if its Jets vs Dolphins, the Jets will win.  

So if we don't wind up with Watson, since Watson has 'reportedly" said he's fine coming to NY, it thus means JD/Saleh either A. failed or B. didn't want him.

There is no other option, because we can beat any other offeror, including the Phins.

Got it.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't seem to me that teams rank rookie QB's "about the same".  There's almost always going to be a clear delineation of which QB they like more. 

I think you're wrong on that.  But no way to verify unless one of us worked in an NFL Draft Room.

Thus, it doesn't make much sense for Houston to d*ck around and lose out on the top QB on their board after Lawrence.  

Guess not.

You were the one that claimed Miami has more asset firepower than the Jets, not us.

Yes, I did.

Your argument was 18 > 23, Tua > Darnold, and they have a better roster, yet couldn't come up with 1 player Miami could offer,

Probably because I didn't try.  Wouldn't make a difference anyway, no name would have changed your mind.

or a good reason why the Texans would want EITHER Tua or Darnold in the deal when they're drafting a QB anyways.

Maybe they're not drafting a QB at #2/#3 in 2021.

But you said that is impossible.  So it's impossible.

Perhaps if you could provide this in your case you'd have a better argument.

I did.  You didn't agree.  What else are you looking for here?

There's no need to whine about people disagreeing with your take.  

No one is whining.  

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing they really want Wilson to replace Watson and therefore will need to deal with the jets. I think the Jets will ultimately be able to pull off a more reasonable deal than some on here think is possible....... Assuming they want Watson over Wilson(factoring in salary and comp)

Same goes the other way, the Texans likely want Wilson and in are unlikely to get him for sure without the #2 pick from us, so we should be holding more cards then they are since compared to their 1 option(Since Watson wants out), we have 3 options i.e the trade with them for Watson, keeping Darnold and trade down from #2(which this year due to the 2 QBs Wilson and Fields guarantees we can do likely for a haul), or draft Wilson or Fields at #2. We can say to them you want your QB at #2 you are getting that and whatever else we decide to give you and not what you are demanding, otherwise we walk.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if we don't wind up with Watson, since Watson has 'reportedly" said he's fine coming to NY, it thus means JD/Saleh either A. failed or B. didn't want him.

There is no other option, because we can beat any other offeror, including the Phins.

Got it.  

I think this is, in fact, true. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The logic of the 'Get Watson at any cost' group is astounding.

"First round picks are a crap shoot and bust often so better to trade for a known quantity than keep high picks."

But, if we give up all of our high picks we will have no talent to add to this talentless team.

"I have full confidence Douglass can add a lot of pieces lower in the draft."

"We have tons of cap space over the next few years to address the talent issue."

But Watson will take up a good chunk of that free cap space.

"No worries we still can sign many good players.  Oh we can also get a leg up in the Watson sweep stakes by taking on some of their awful contracts.....cause we have cap space."

Who are the people that want to "Get Watson at any cost"?

The vast majority of Jets fans aren't calling for the Jets to trade all of their high picks.

The team that receives Watson will get him on a 3 year deal for an AAV of 27.5M per year with $32M unguaranteed team options for his age 29 and 30 seasons.  Watson's contract is in no way a negative.

It's easier to create a fake narrative than have a reasonable discussion.  It would be more accurate for me to say that the people against trading for Watson think the ONLY way the Jets can build a contender would be to have 4 1st round picks in the next 2 years, which is, of course, ridiculous.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

As I said already, our #2, #48, and Sam Darnold. That's an offer no other team can offer. If that doesn't get it done, then we go all in with Sammy and trade down out of #2.

And trade down with a team that steals the QB the Texans want i.e Wilson. Was wondering if that occurs, along with whatever draft picks we get from Falcons should we get Julio Jones from them as well to help our WRs get out of the rut they are in as well as tutor Mims and any other young WRs we have or get in the draft, since if this occurs it means we keep Darnold and likely no real good WRs would come to the Jets via FA.

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

well there's no way you are getting watson and keeping the #2 pick. and to be fair, 2 late firsts are not enough to pay......

I’m fine not getting Watson. This team wasn’t a competitive team last year.  This team has a LOT of holes.  

If the Jets were a 9-7 team last season and QB was the only issue I’d be saying get him at all costs.  I’d still love to have him but only at the right price.  

50 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

The vast majority of Jets fans aren't calling for the Jets to trade all of their high picks.

The team that receives Watson will get him on a 3 year deal for an AAV of 27.5M per year with $32M unguaranteed team options for his age 29 and 30 seasons.  Watson's contract is in no way a negative.

It's easier to create a fake narrative than have a reasonable discussion.  It would be more accurate for me to say that the people against trading for Watson think the ONLY way the Jets can build a contender would be to have 4 1st round picks in the next 2 years, which is, of course, ridiculous.

SO what is the trade toy are comfortable with

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

SO what is the trade toy are comfortable with

I've said this before.  #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  I don't think another team can beat that offer unless the Texans want to build around Tua or draft a QB other than Lawrence/Wilson/Fields (Fields' agent is Watson's agent).  That's basically 4 first round picks including their favorite player in the draft other than Lawrence.  The Jets can then trade Darnold for a 2nd and have 5 picks in the top 100 in '21, a pick in every round of '22, and a ton of cap space to build around Watson.  

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yea man thats never getting it done. Youre also being super cheap. So you offering the #2 and a random 6th for a fqb? The #2 can bust easily.

glad youre not the gm. Id give 2, 23, next years seattle 1st. Maybe even more,,,, but that should be enough

Glad You're not the GM.  Three firsts, including number 2, which many suggest is worth 3 #1's, is too much.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chad2coles said:

It kinda is. 

This is the worst roster in football.  You're giving up a massive amount for a QB that just won 4 games with a better roster.

What happens when the Jets can't protect him or he can't find an open WR?  Which will surely be the case with the cap restrictions he'll bring on and the lack of draft picks.

Do you think the guy that just forced his way off the team is going to be silent about that?

I would be all for Watson too but the Jets simply are in no position to make this team work with him at this point.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Got it.  

Of course, it's just absurdly ridiculous.

Value means everything - and the value JD puts on Watson is an entirely unknown at this point.

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

I've said this before.  #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  I don't think another team can beat that offer unless the Texans want to build around Tua or draft a QB other than Lawrence/Wilson/Fields (Fields' agent is Watson's agent).  That's basically 4 first round picks including their favorite player in the draft other than Lawrence.  The Jets can then trade Darnold for a 2nd and have 5 picks in the top 100 in '21, a pick in every round of '22, and a ton of cap space to build around Watson.  

Thanks, I would not even consider that trade. #2 and #34 alone are worth more than 3 firsts by almost anyone else.  And the Jets would only have that cap space for a year. The only real way I could see this trade happening would be a three way trade with someone like Carolina. We trade #2 for like 2 ones and a 2nd then use those picks and maybe our 2nd rounder for Watson

So we Get Watson and keep #23

Carolina gets #2

Houston gets 8, Carolinas second this year, next years #1 and #34 this year,

But I probably would not do that trade either.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can you expound upon this point with actual data sir

So...pretty simple.

4 first round picks = "lack of draft picks"

$30mm a year = Tighter cap restrictions 

The thing with the NFL is you need Impact players.  The Jets have NONE of them.  Giving away 4 first round picks (which is where you would most likely find said Impact players) and paying $30mm to a disgruntled QB with no impact players around him is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I can see what will happen a mile away, it'll be painfully obvious in hindsight if the Jets make this move.

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas

In the latest twist in the Deshaun Watson saga, ESPN is reporting that the Jets are among those teams Watson would be willing to go if traded.

BREAKING:

It's been confirmed by sources that Deshaun Watson would approve trades to the Jets, Dolphins, and Panthers.

— ESPNUpstate (@ESPNUpstate) February 22, 2021

From the time it was evident that he wanted out of Houston, fans have heard conflicting reports in regards to whether or not Watson, who has a no trade clause, would have the Jets on his list of desired locales as he would have to approve a deal due to his no-trade clause.

If the Jets were to make a run at Watson, the price tag may be the biggest stumbling block.  Some have suggested any deal would have to include three first-round picks, including this year’s number two overall, and defensive lineman Quinnen Williams.

Given Williams’ trajectory, one would have to assume the he could command multiple first-rounders via trade himself, so the value the Jets would be giving up could be unprecedented.

The post Report: Watson Would Approve Trade to Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/ZbNrRYlSiY4

Click here to read the full story...

Oh great GM Watson approves. No thanks.

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yea man thats never getting it done. Youre also being super cheap. So you offering the #2 and a random 6th for a fqb? The #2 can bust easily.

glad youre not the gm. Id give 2, 23, next years seattle 1st. Maybe even more,,,, but that should be enough

thats because guys like @68JET11 really dont want Watson.

dont worry. JD has been in the NFL long enough to know you need a great QB to go anywhere. if he doesnt then all those 1st rd picks he was going to give up better be All-Pros and 2/3 of 1st rd picks are bust. he will be fired by 2023 and never have a GM job again. 

you know what a difference is between a great QB and not.? Bill Belichick in NE, vs Bill Belichick in Clev. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, neckdemon said:

no we would go in the 4-12 range for a couple years and then watson would want out, douglas and saleh would be fired and the sh*tshow circus would continue

We have a ton of FA money and still a bunch of picks we've accumulated, which we would add to when we trade Sam. QB is the most important position by far on the team. It's not the last piece - he's not a running back. It's the foundational piece for a franchise to build around. A top 5 QB is something we haven't had since Namath - he makes everyone around him better and attracts top FA which we have more than enough money to pay. You're short changing Watson - we would win right away with him. We'll still have picks and free agents to make this team vastly better than last year. Mosely is coming back too - that gives us a Pro Bowl player (hopefully he still is) in the middle of the D. This team will be completely retooled with or without Watson. Mims, Crowder, Herndon and potentially Robinson would be enough to make us solid - especially after adding a center in FA and drafting a guard in round 2. Add another receiver in 3 with a CB and we're a very different team. A lot of our young guys gained some valuable experience last year - like Hall.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

We have #2, they have #3.

We have #23, they have #18

We have Sam Darnold, they have Tua Tag.

We have 2/#2 (#34), they have 2/#4 (#36) and 2/#18 (#50)

They have a materially better roster overall.

We have 2x #1's in 2022, they have 1x #1 in 2022.

Yes, I would say they have more assets than we do, and a better ability to absorb the loss of those assets than we do.

More value in 2021 Draft.  A Better QB to trade.  

Our only advantage is 2 vs 3 and that spare 2022 #1.

/shrug

They would also be trading their best asset for the pick they should still have. If that's not a bad look I don't know what is. It makes no sense to do that unless they want to be made fun of all offseason. Yes, egg on your face still matters to the fans and it would be a PR nightmare. AND, we would take the QB they most likely will want. Two major strikes against Miami and I'm not even sweating. ;) They won't want Tua.

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

I believe that offer verbatim would get it done. That #2 pick alone is worth more than one of Wonka’s golden tickets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

We have a ton of FA money and still a bunch of picks we've accumulated, which we would add to when we trade Sam. QB is the most important position by far on the team. It's not the last piece - he's not a running back. It's the foundational piece for a franchise to build around. A top 5 QB is something we haven't had since Namath - he makes everyone around him better and attracts top FA which we have more than enough money to pay. You're short changing Watson - we would win right away with him. We'll still have picks and free agents to make this team vastly better than last year. Mosely is coming back too - that gives us a Pro Bowl player (hopefully he still is) in the middle of the D. This team will be completely retooled with or without Watson. Mims, Crowder, Herndon and potentially Robinson would be enough to make us solid - especially after adding a center in FA and drafting a guard in round 2. Add another receiver in 3 with a CB and we're a very different team. A lot of our young guys gained some valuable experience last year - like Hall.

A FQb is the key piece in attracting Tier 1 FA. Look at Brady in NE & TB, Brees in NO & Mahomes in KC. Talent attracts more talent just like winning attracts talent. Get Watson and watch the talent come. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

So...pretty simple.

4 first round picks = "lack of draft picks"

$30mm a year = Tighter cap restrictions 

The thing with the NFL is you need Impact players.  The Jets have NONE of them.  Giving away 4 first round picks (which is where you would most likely find said Impact players) and paying $30mm to a disgruntled QB with no impact players around him is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I can see what will happen a mile away, it'll be painfully obvious in hindsight if the Jets make this move.

But the trade I suggested would still give the Jets 5 of the top 100 draft picks in the upcoming draft as well as a draft pick in every round in '22.  The Jets do have impact players, and can add more through free agency and the draft.

And again, Watson's traded contract is actually a discount for the production he provides at the QB position.  His '22 cap hit would be the 9th highest cap hit for QBs as it stands right now.  And the last 2 years are essentially 1 year team options.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Glad You're not the GM.  Three firsts, including number 2, which many suggest is worth 3 #1's, is too much.

The 2 is a great pick, but you guys are delusional if you keep up the “2 is worth 3 1’s” narrative. 

ITS NOT.

In the end its just one pick and guys like zach can EASILY bust.

Stop it already. The number 2 pick is maybe worth 2 1s on a good day

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I’m fine not getting Watson. This team wasn’t a competitive team last year.  This team has a LOT of holes.  

If the Jets were a 9-7 team last season and QB was the only issue I’d be saying get him at all costs.  I’d still love to have him but only at the right price.  

Part of the reason we are not competitive is because our QB drags down the offense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The 2 is a great pick, but you guys are delusional if you keep up the “2 is worth 3 1’s” narrative. 

ITS NOT.

This is so true.  The number 2 pick is only worth 3 ones only IF someone is offering that in a trade.

This has happened only once in the entire history of the league and it was a monumental failure. 

2012 — Washington Trades Up for Robert Griffin III

• Washington received: No. 2 overall pick, which they used to selected quarterback Robert Griffin III
  • Rams received: 2012 first-rounder (No. 6), 2012 second-round selection (No. 39), 2013 first-rounder (No. 22), 2014 first-rounder (No. 2)

17 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

ITS NOT.

We should trade it to Seattle for Jamal Adams. I hear he can really get to the QB. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Got it.  

There is another option

C. Didnt want him for anything beyond a price point

Yah know, I wonder how it would shake out if we traded back from 2 - then used that haul plus our existing haul to nab Watson ams still leave ourselves with a full draft...?

Houston wants 3 firsts for Watson. They might value quantity of picks over #2. We might be able to get two firsts and more for #2... just thinking out loud.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, dcJet said:

It's frustrating debating the posters that won't give 3 ones for Watson. 

I don't see how hoping Zach Wilson becomes decent, and adding Terrace Marshall Jr and a future offensive lineman next year trump Watson.  It's not even close.

Well, you are completely ignoring the money aspect of it.

Drafting Zach Wilson instead of trading for Deshaun Watson leaves the Jets with about $100m -$120m more in salary cap space over the next four years to sign free agents.  It's not chump change.  It can go a long way toward strengthening this extremely weak roster.

Also, I think you are underestimating the value of adding first round talents at WR and OL to this team over the next two years.  This offense is not suddenly going to become a force by upgrading the quarterback position only.  Adding blue chip talent throughout the offense is pivotal to turning this team around.

I understand the desire to add Watson.  I think it would be a good move at the right price.  Three first rounders including #2 overall is too much.  This team has too many holes, and it would be wise to utilize every pick and every dollar of cap space to rebuild it.