Jets 1st Round Picks. Painful.

JazzyJet

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember that draft well.  Lam was considered a stud.  I always remember Ray Perkins questioning how any team was going to cover Lam and Walker.  

As for college he caught 85 passes for 1,603 yards, 18.9 per with 14 TDs.  1970s college ball.  Playing for Texas.  He was a top college player.  

Lets not forget he was a gold medal winner at the 1976 Montreal Olympics in track.  He busted still.  

OK, you got me.  I thought he was not that accomplished in college.  A true bust though.  He could not get off the line against press coverage.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

I was just perusing out draft history as I do every year around this time and wow is it painful. It is so so so bad. The last few crappy years were the fruit of the terrible drafting that took place between 2010-2016 particularly. You can't come back from this kind of drafting. Just your friendly reminder that first round picks don't always pan out?

2008 - Vernon Gholston

2010 - Kyle Wilson

2012 - Quinton Coples

2013 - Dee Milliner

2014 - Calvin Pryor

2016 - Darron Lee

Honorable mentions from 2nd round: 2012 - Stephen Hill, 2013 - Geno Smith, 2014 - Jace Amaro, 2015 - Devin Smith, 2016 - Christian Hackenberg

LOL

Every Jets fan knows this. It's my belief we finally have a competent GM in town.

12 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

They could have literally just picked from Kiper's or McShays "best available" list and done far better. 

True enough. I think people tend to focus on the first rounders and not put as much weight on the 2nd and third round misses.  Not for nothing but at best a team may only have 7 or 8 first round drafted players at any one time.  The rest of the team has to come from somewhere.

18 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

I was just perusing out draft history as I do every year around this time and wow is it painful. It is so so so bad. The last few crappy years were the fruit of the terrible drafting that took place between 2010-2016 particularly. You can't come back from this kind of drafting. Just your friendly reminder that first round picks don't always pan out?

2008 - Vernon Gholston

2010 - Kyle Wilson

2012 - Quinton Coples

2013 - Dee Milliner

2014 - Calvin Pryor

2016 - Darron Lee

Honorable mentions from 2nd round: 2012 - Stephen Hill, 2013 - Geno Smith, 2014 - Jace Amaro, 2015 - Devin Smith, 2016 - Christian Hackenberg

LOL

Ya but DW is in no way worthy of 3 first round picks. Thats what they say here!

27 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ya but DW is in no way worthy of 3 first round picks. Thats what they say here!

Cry me a river lol...  Nobody says DW isn't worth 3 1st's, If I were the 49er's, Rams, and teams like that I'd pony up the 3 1st's in a heartbeat. However this team needs way more than just DW. That's what people who agree with me feel, not that we don't like DW. Heck, even Nick Mangold said basically the same thing. He's only one of the best football players this team has ever had, and he keeps following them, but what does he know.

35 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Cry me a river lol...  Nobody says DW isn't worth 3 1st's, If I were the 49er's, Rams, and teams like that I'd pony up the 3 1st's in a heartbeat. However this team needs way more than just DW. That's what people who agree with me feel, not that we don't like DW. Heck, even Nick Mangold said basically the same thing. He's only one of the best football players this team has ever had, and he keeps following them, but what does he know.

Nick mangold's opinion is his own. It's not more or less valid that anyone elses. 

So let me get this straight......you show how "valuable" 1st round picks are. You shown how much risk is involved. But in the most important position on the team you lobby to NOT take the KNOWN star qb so that you can roll the dice and and play against the odds so that you can have a group of busts vs. the real proven deal.

OK

16 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Thomas was not a bust.  Even had some really good years playing strong side LB.

wrong thomas how quickly they forget

blair thomas was the second pick of the draft by the jets in 1990 draft and his tenure with the jets was very poor

18 hours ago, dcJet said:

Coples and Millener and Gholston were exceptional athletes and on top of everybody's draft boards.  Coples strong like bull.

Just crazy how hard it is to project these guys.

Milliner is exhibit A why we cannot take Zach Wilson at 2nd overall

If you have that long an injury history by the end of college your body is not going to hold up in the NFL

• Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Nick mangold's opinion is his own. It's not more or less valid that anyone elses. 

So let me get this straight......you show how "valuable" 1st round picks are. You shown how much risk is involved. But in the most important position on the team you lobby to NOT take the KNOWN star qb so that you can roll the dice and and play against the odds so that you can have a group of busts vs. the real proven deal.

OK

Draft a QB would be fine with me, just roll with our guys, not give up picks. Don't see how that plays against the odds as the same could have been said for Watson when he was drafted. Turns out he's good, but he could have busted also. It's all a crap shoot. I'd prefer to build the team with high draft picks in other positions we need as well. We're not just a QB away from being a good team. That's my position. It's not saying we don't need a QB, it's just not all we need.

9 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Draft a QB would be fine with me, just roll with our guys, not give up picks. Don't see how that plays against the odds as the same could have been said for Watson when he was drafted. Turns out he's good, but he could have busted also. It's all a crap shoot. I'd prefer to build the team with high draft picks in other positions we need as well. We're not just a QB away from being a good team. That's my position. It's not saying we don't need a QB, it's just not all we need.

Right but my point is with watson there is no crap shoot. He's good. Its guaranteed. 

Thats why watson> several picks

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, clayton163v said:

This is the more painful list. 

We desperately needed Haight and Cadigan to work out.  Kenny O'Brien was a championship level QB  He could beat you all by himself.  When he was on, the game was over.  But he was like Payton Manning.  No wheels of any kind.  Best QB since Broadway Joe.  Worse, Haight was exactly who we thought he was.  But he was a pulling guard.  An obsolete position in the pros today  but everybody used to have one.  But the game had changed and he was too light.  Cadigan was a stud, but his career ended when the NFL took away his steroids. 

Ron Farout was not even in Joel Buchbaum's draft guide.  We took him like 10th.  When we cut him one year later - uninjured - not one team took a sniff.

Lam Jones had like five catches in college.  He was the second pick.  How can you do that?!? 

I liked O'Brien, but he was a large part of the reason that the Jets offensive line never looked good.   O'Brien had the worst pocket awareness of any QB that played for the Jets.  He simply didn't feel, hear or see it coming.   Nice arm, good ball placement, good character, good football smarts, but badly flawed due to non existent pocket awareness.  I see Giants QB Daniel Jones with a similar problem.

19 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I liked O'Brien, but he was a large part of the reason that the Jets offensive line never looked good.   O'Brien had the worst pocket awareness of any QB that played for the Jets.  He simply didn't feel, hear or see it coming.   Nice arm, good ball placement, good character, good football smarts, but badly flawed due to non existent pocket awareness.  I see Giants QB Daniel Jones with a similar problem.

O'Brien was pretty damn good; Marino was better.  End of story.  

13 hours ago, kmnj said:

wrong thomas how quickly they forget

blair thomas was the second pick of the draft by the jets in 1990 draft and his tenure with the jets was very poor

Oh I remember Blair Thomas.  My Bills fan friends never let me forget it since they took Therman Thomas.  Poor Blair Thomas.  He dragged tacklers in college and found NFL linebackers are a different story.  Lacked both size and wheels.  Could not run away from them or run them over. 

12 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

O'Brien was pretty damn good; Marino was better.  End of story.  

There is no doubt about that.  But Kenny O could have been a championship QB.  The sack exchange and Lance Mehl gave us a solid defense.  But we could not pick up the blitz or convert third and short. 

13 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I thought his awareness was fine.  He had two flaws.  First, he had to wind up to throw.  The pocket in front of him had to be clean.  Second, he could not run away or elude rushers. 

But he was a far cry from Daniel Brown.  Kenny O was the toughest player I ever saw.  He took hits that were so violent I was sure he was not getting up.  Yet like Rocky and Apollo Creed he would just get up and be ready to go.  Daniel Brown would literally die if hit like Kenny O.  Kenny O reminds me of Rothlisberger. 

Daniel Brown reminds me of Chad. 

On 2/23/2021 at 12:30 PM, JazzyJet said:

2008 - Vernon Gholston

2010 - Kyle Wilson

2012 - Quinton Coples

2013 - Dee Milliner

2014 - Calvin Pryor

2016 - Darron Lee

LOL

Thank god you're here to let me know how bad the Jets first round picks have been throughout the years.

10 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I thought his awareness was fine.  He had two flaws.  First, he had to wind up to throw.  The pocket in front of him had to be clean.  Second, he could not run away or elude rushers. 

But he was a far cry from Daniel Brown.  Kenny O was the toughest player I ever saw.  He took hits that were so violent I was sure he was not getting up.  Yet like Rocky and Apollo Creed he would just get up and be ready to go.  Daniel Brown would literally die if hit like Kenny O.  Kenny O reminds me of Rothlisberger. 

Daniel Brown reminds me of Chad. 

Yes... He got his brains bashed in.   I liked him a lot, but his pocket awareness issues were glaring.  Tom Brady does not move any quicker than Ken O'Brien did.  The difference is Brady has eyes all around his head and he knows what direction to take that single step.  You only have to move a few feet.  The compelling factors are:  1. Be aware that you have to move and: 2.  What direction to take that step.  Awareness and economy of motion. 

I was real excited about Jace Amaro...thought he was gonna be the next Mark Bavaro. lol  I actually liked that whole 2014 draft at the time.  We did draft Enenwa that year and turned Pryor into Demario Davis...but apparently Davis didn't play like a Jet....we got rid of that guy twice. lol

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Yes... He got his brains bashed in.   I liked him a lot, but his pocket awareness issues were glaring.  Tom Brady does not move any quicker than Ken O'Brien did.  The difference is Brady has eyes all around his head and he knows what direction to take that single step.  You only have to move a few feet.  The compelling factors are:  1. Be aware that you have to move and: 2.  What direction to take that step.  Awareness and economy of motion. 

Fair enough, but when Brady is getting hit, he loses the game.  The Jets offensive line was horrible.  Freeman McNeil ended up getting nicknamed McRib because of it.  The Jets tried to fix it but our early choices kept busting.  That was my real point.

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Fair enough, but when Brady is getting hit, he loses the game.  The Jets offensive line was horrible.  Freeman McNeil ended up getting nicknamed McRib because of it.  The Jets tried to fix it but our early choices kept busting.  That was my real point.

The talent lever on the line was good.  Way better than what Darnold has. Jeff Criswell took some time to stop getting flagged, but he shaped up nicely. Mike Haight was not nearly as bad as some fans think he was.  Interior lineman have a hard time pass blocking for a QB that wont or cant get out of the way.  Jim Sweeny was an excellent center.   Dan Alexander was just about the best guard the Jets ever had. He never had a bad game. Reggie McElroy was a mean, nasty player that more than held own for years.  Mickey Shuller was a good blocker and had the head to help his QB as a check down or when pressure was there.  

O'Brien made them look bad. 

14 hours ago, undertow said:

I was real excited about Jace Amaro...thought he was gonna be the next Mark Bavaro. lol  I actually liked that whole 2014 draft at the time.  We did draft Enenwa that year and turned Pryor into Demario Davis...but apparently Davis didn't play like a Jet....we got rid of that guy twice. lol

I remember Pauline was a HUGE Amaro guy.  So much so he created a thread to gloat about him getting 59 yds receiving in one game as a titan after the Jets cut him?

• Haha 1