"NFL Draft 2021: Growing ‘buzz’ Jets will keep Sam Darnold, trade No. 2 pick"

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe nothing.  Douglas runs a tight ship, there aren’t any leaks, especially involving the 2nd pick.

Short of getting Watson for a "fair" price, this is by far the best option. I'd be psyched.

The height of journalism. A guy writing an article about another guy writing an article about some rumors he's hearing from other journalists.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, pointman said:

https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/02/nfl-draft-2021-growing-buzz-jets-will-keep-sam-darnold-trade-no-2-pick.html

NFL Draft 2021: Growing ‘buzz’ Jets will keep Sam Darnold, trade No. 2 pick

Updated 11:22 AM; Today 11:20 AM
New York Jets defeat Cleveland Browns, Dec., 27, 2020

The New York Jets might trade quarterback Sam Darnold.Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
shares

The New York Jets are on the clock for the 2021 NFL Draft.

It’s a foregone conclusion the Jacksonville Jaguars will use the No. 1 pick overall on Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

So Jets general manager Joe Douglas must decide if he will trade Sam Darnold and use the No. 2 pick on a new franchise QB (BYU’s Zach Wilson or Ohio State’s Justin Fields), keep the No. 2 pick and get some help for Darnold (Oregon tackle Penei Sewell or Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith), or keep Darnold and trade the No. 2 pick to move down the board and stockpile selections.

The Boston Globe’s Ben Volin reports “there is increasing buzz the Jets are going to roll with Sam Darnold and his $920,000 salary this year, and build up the pieces around him instead of drafting a QB. Considering how many teams are hot for the top quarterback prospects, Douglas might be able to get a haul for No. 2 to add to his collection of draft picks. For a Jets team that is rebuilding from scratch, that scenario has to be very tempting.”

Keep in mind, the Jets already own six of the first 98 selections in the 2021 NFL Draft thanks to the Jamal Adams trade. And they will have close to $70 million to spend in free agency, providing Douglas with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rebuild the organization from top to bottom and inside out.

Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting NJ.com with a subscription.

Mike Rosenstein may be reached at mrosenstein@njadvancemedia.com. Tell us your coronavirus story or send a tip here.

holy FCK ! Don't you dare threaten me with a good time!!! 

But honestly, my nature always told me if there's any justice in this world, THIS is what would happen. This was always in my heart. Sammy had been treated like sh*t by incompetent people. Yet, the kid remained so positive and upbeat. It pulled at me for the Jets to give him the chance he so richly deserves. If this is true? I'll be on cloud 9. Because I still believe in Sammy. I also think keeping the 2nd overall and using it to trade down sets us up like the Cowboys were after the Herschel Walker trade. Like I said before, this scenario could set the Jets up to land at least SIX starters potentially. This is to say nothing mind you about how many other starters they may yield through free agency. I, for one, an a huge fan of this scenario.

• Post of the Week 2
50 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

holy FCK ! Don't you dare threaten me with a good time!!! 

But honestly, my nature always told me if there's any justice in this world, THIS is what would happen. This was always in my heart. Sammy had been treated like sh*t by incompetent people. Yet, the kid remained so positive and upbeat. It pulled at me for the Jets to give him the chance he so richly deserves. If this is true? I'll be on cloud 9. Because I still believe in Sammy. I also think keeping the 2nd overall and using it to trade down sets us up like the Cowboys were after the Herschel Walker trade. Like I said before, this scenario could set the Jets up to land at least SIX starters potentially. This is to say nothing mind you about how many other starters they may yield through free agency. I, for one, an a huge fan of this scenario.

Yes sirrrrrr lets go!

2 hours ago, pointman said:

Keep in mind, the Jets already own six of the first 98 selections in the 2021 NFL Draft

A trade back could bring that to 8 of the top say 105 picks, that’s 8 swings at potential starters, bat .500 it’s a big win.

I hope Joe realizes that there is so much negativity surrounding Darnord and that if they were to keep Sam and he turns out to be a carbon copy of what he has been the last three years, Joe is going to look real bad and the fan base will turn on Joe.  To me there is just too much risk with Sam.  I don't trust Sam being the offensive leader of this team.  He shows nothing.  Just a spoiled rotten rich QB.  Can't stand his demeanor or the way he carries himself.  He just bullsh$ts in the postgame about how he is going to fix everything.  Who knows if that right shoulder is 100%. Time to move on.  Sam had his chance and did not produce.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

If you think about it who in the WORLD would start a silly rumor like this in a Boston Paper!!!

who..... who......WHO!!!!

Which Movie Villain Does Bill Belichick Most Resemble?

Ok now that makes sense....... :) 

rumors, newspaper articles and talking heads clearly held influence over Mac’s decisions. However, JD is a honey badger and he’s gonna do what he thinks is best regardless of the outside noise.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, pointman said:

You guys downvoted me for posting an article saying Sam might stay!? 

The headline is misleading. When you say "growing buzz" everyone thinks this is coming from nfl sources. This growing buzz comment is because of an opinion piece from a media guy of why trading down would make more sense. No growing buzz coming from the Jets organization or other nfl sources.