"NFL Draft 2021: Growing ‘buzz’ Jets will keep Sam Darnold, trade No. 2 pick"

pointman

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

according to PFF his grade last year about average 30th or so among 64 starting tackles

he led the pro bowl voting among fans and didn't make the pro bowl 

I'm as big a supporter of Highway 77 as anyone but it's possible Jets fans are overrating this player a bit 

He was a rookie playing LT and he played it well.  He was arguably the 2nd best rookie tackle in the league and Wirfs played RT not LT.   RT isn't LT either.  I don't subscribe to PFF but I suspect he rated pretty high against other LT.   He played LT in college, he's a natural LT and he played really well as a rookie in the NFL.  

It's absolutely nuts to draft a LT at 2 this year when we have a LT on a rookie contract who could hold the spot for 10 years or more.

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He played LT in college, he's a natural LT and he played really well as a rookie in the NFL.  

Freshman year at Louisville, Becton played in a "speed/power" offense that switched the tackles often from play to play

he has college experience at both sides, more than many prospects. He "can" play well LT but he might be an All Pro at RT. 

Sewell at 2 is my preference if I had to bet money on an outcome it would be trade down. I don't expect the Jets to take my preference. but after it all goes down, the Jets will have passed up an elite player, probably for a trade down. It's gutless to trade down just stay high and take the star. 

If Chase is the star, take him. If it's Smith, fine. Take someone that the other team has to game plan against. Other teams see the Jets on the schedule breaking in another 21 year old QB and the DBs start salivating about how many picks they can get 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Why are these teams trading up tho? 

Atlanta has too much invested in Matt Ryan to spend a 2 pick on a bench player 

Cincinnati would take Sewell, a player the Jets need as well 

Philadelphia might be more interested in Sewell or chase they are riding with hurts 

Carolina makes the most sense wanting a qb but then again they are the leaders of the Watson sweepstakes too 

Way I see it the blue chips are TL, Chase, Sewell and maybe Smith or Slater. Fields, Wilson, Pitts and the others are red chips. 

Jets do not need Sewell. He would be an upgrade, but not a need.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold after James Morgan goes 10 of 12 for 223 yards and two TDs in his first preseason action this August:

end of school crying GIF

Morgan has to get by flacco AND Mike White on the depth chart.  He is phoning Hackenburg right now on knitting tips and how to wear a ball cap that looks good.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Morgan has to get by flacco AND Mike White on the depth chart.  He is phoning Hackenburg right now on knitting tips and how to wear a ball cap that looks good.

Upsetting, but true.

He was effectively 4th string, and it's not like the guys ahead of him were playing so well (nor playing in meaningful games by mid/late October anyway). The only difference between his situation and Hackenberg's is the Jets didn't carry 4 QBs in 2020 solely because the 3rd string guy wasn't just a mid-round pick the prior year himself. But any unprotected stiff we picked up to put on our practice squad was automatically ahead of Morgan.

It doesn't mean he'll never play, but I don't see how it's anything more than discouraging. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Regarding Morgan, not for nothing but Tom Brady got in exactly one game his rookie season and was 1 for 3 for all of 6 yards.  Now I’m not saying Morgan is the next Brady but unless Douglas is the second coming of Mac he must have some ability.

The morgan conspiracy theory, future hall of famer who will be the standard for how all QBs are drafted and introduced to the NFL in the future. Hid on the dept chart so he can study and practice for a year without interference so he can start the next year and tear the league up??

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

The headline is misleading. When you say "growing buzz" everyone thinks this is coming from nfl sources. This growing buzz comment is because of an opinion piece from a media guy of why trading down would make more sense. No growing buzz coming from the Jets organization or other nfl sources.

I wrote the article's headline. I didn't make it. 

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Upsetting, but true.

He was effectively 4th string, and it's not like the guys ahead of him were playing so well (nor playing in meaningful games by mid/late October anyway). The only difference between his situation and Hackenberg's is the Jets didn't carry 4 QBs in 2020 solely because the 3rd string guy wasn't just a mid-round pick the prior year himself. But any unprotected stiff we picked up to put on our practice squad was automatically ahead of Morgan.

It doesn't mean he'll never play, but I don't see how it's anything more than discouraging. 

It's possible that our GM didn't want him to play this year and he was protected for a reason.  There is nothing discouraging until we see him in action.  If he was protected for a good reason like they didn't want to throw him into a bad situation, that's a real positive.  He could take a huge leap or he could suck.  In retrospect Sam should have been on the bench his entire rookie year.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

It's possible that our GM didn't want him to play this year and he was protected for a reason.  There is nothing discouraging until we see him in action.  If he was protected for a good reason like they didn't want to throw him into a bad situation, that's a real positive.  He could take a huge leap or he could suck.  In retrospect Sam should have been on the bench his entire rookie year.

Any QB, with 37 starts in college, who was relegated to 4th string behind a practice squad QB is discouraging. Even as a rookie. It's not like in school he was really a runner playing QB like Brad Smith. He was a pure pocket passer.

Whatever anyone's negative opinion of Gase, it's not like he's never worked with a QB who's had any success before under his coaching. His saying - even in mid/late November - that Morgan was still "a ways off" - not "a ways off" to start, but a ways off to even activate as a backup - is discouraging. 

If there was a plan to keep him benched as a rookie no matter what, because they knew he was so raw when he was drafted or something like that, then there was no reason for Gase to keep that secret in November. It's not a negative reflection on the GM or any coaches, and frankly reflects less-poorly on the player than saying he's still a ways off (coach-speak for "he's looked terrible thus far").

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Upsetting, but true.

@Jetsfan80 can help you see. He's on record saying that it was a good pick because JD drafted Morgan to be the FQB. 

On 2/23/2021 at 4:57 PM, Adoni Beast said:

I think:

• Jets are comfortable enough to roll with Sam.

• Expect a haul and have a gentleman’s agreement with a couple of team’s already.

• Playing it patient to evaluate Wilson/Fields thoroughly and will have to be blown away by one of them to draft them.

• Will wait until the very end to trade Sam if they love Wilson or Fields to see if someone will offer a bit more out of desperation.

Sam’s salary + available salary cap + the amount of picks the Jets have and will have (with a trade down) will have this team ready to be stacked top to bottom. 

I just don‘t get how you pass up on Wilson...we’ll see what happens.

Good analysis. This actually makes sense.