Rich Cimini: Jets should keep Sam Darnold

GreekJet

I think the league feels the same as the Jets scouts and all of this other noise regarding Wilson/Fields is agent hot air. Especially Wilson. Wouldnt shock me if Mac Jones went ahead of either or both. 

Darnold is not the guy and will never be the guy. A placeholder for a season with presumably a bunch of rookie weapons I think is the better route to go, to at least get the better reps/looks. 

If the scouts throughout the league dont like Wilson or Fields just take Chase at 2 imo. Assuming the interviews go well and him skipping last year wasnt due to a lack of competitiveness. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the league feels the same as the Jets scouts and all of this other noise regarding Wilson/Fields is agent hot air. Especially Wilson. Wouldnt shock me if Mac Jones went ahead of either or both. 

Darnold is not the guy and will never be the guy. A placeholder for a season with presumably a bunch of rookie weapons I think is the better route to go, to at least get the better reps/looks. 

If the scouts throughout the league dont like Wilson or Fields just take Chase at 2 imo assuming the interviews go well and him skipping last season being anything due to a lack of competitiveness. 

My prediction is Wilson, Lance, Fields, and Jones all go in the top 15 with four going in the top 8. 

Why? Because QB draft stock typically declines in February and grows in March and April. These guys have had an extra month to prepare for their pro day. Testing is going to be off the charts. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If the NY Jets draft Zach Wilson you will be rocking his jersey the headband the white velcro Reeboks the very next day, who are you kidding. 

If we draft Wilson and wears a headband (ala McMahon) against the Patsys that says “WE’RE ONTO NE” 

His jersey will be the first I’ve bought in the 2000’s.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

It is heartwarming to see Rich go from the second biggest nozzle reporting on the Jets.. to suddenly all that being forgotten. I guess he turned it around once ESPN starting using his services. Lets not forget the days when he was one rung above Manish on the ladder of disappointment. 

Pauline, on that draft network YouTube channel, just said that he thinks hanging on to Darnold is too risky for Douglas since it’d likely end up burning another year of Douglas’ regime, presuming Darnold doesn’t pull a 180. Pauline is of the belief that Douglas should move Darnold and start fresh.

Also said that the Jets are going to be aggressive in free agency, and Trey Hendrickson is a primary target. 

Also said that the Panthers are going to go hard after Watson, but the Jets are still likely in pole position, and that the Dolphins might be satisfied to sit at 3 and just take Jamar Chase. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pauline, on that draft network YouTube channel, just said that he thinks hanging on to Darnold is too risky for Douglas since it’d likely end up burning another year of Douglas’ regime, presuming Darnold doesn’t pull a 180. Pauline is of the belief that Douglas should move Darnold and start fresh.

Also said that the Jets are going to be aggressive in free agency, and Trey Hendrickson is a primary target. 

Also said that the Panthers are going to go hard after Watson, but the Jets are still likely in pole position, and that the Dolphins might be satisfied to sit at 3 and just take Jamar Chase. 

Miami Herald claims the Dolphins will offer him a record braking contract offer

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree. From a self-preservation standpoint the safe move is the draft a QB. 

From a team building standpoint? Cimini’s proposal makes a lot of sense. 

• Upvote 1

^^^
???

Darnold is terrible only the jets would make this complicated but this is the same organization that passed on Watson and Mahomes because they had Christian Hackenberg on the roster. 

And I can’t wait for all the hit pieces on how incompetent the font office is because they let another first round QB stud slip through their fingers. 

Banking on Sam, hoping he can have a magical turnaround VS the potential and upside of a Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, or even Mac Jones. - All these young QBs have shown the ability to throw the ball downfield and not turn it over, something Darnold has always struggled with :

image.jpeg.9680341a0c99ed83fe4de5b4c20957b8.jpeg

^^
i guess this is Gase fault too? ?

It doesn’t take 4 seasons to evaluate a QB, especially one who’s showed nothing but the ability to turn the football over predating The Jets and Adam Gase.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If the scouts throughout the league dont like Wilson or Fields just take Chase at 2 imo. Assuming the interviews go well and him skipping last year wasnt due to a lack of competitiveness. 

No one is going to draft Mac Jones before Wilson and Fields.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

i guess this is Gase fault too? ?

Who was to blame for Watsons 17 INTs at Clemson.  

Darnold had 13? 

So much for one college season proving an inability to throw the ball downfield and not turn it over

Id bet that more of the blame goes to Gase & the Jets lack of talent than youre accepting

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who was to blame for Watsons 17 INTs at Clemson.  

Darnold had 13? 

Id bet that more of the blame goes to Gase & the Jets lack of talent than youre accepting

Sam has never accomplished what Watson has at the pro or college level. Idk why you feel thats even a close comparison. Watson’s 17 int year is the outlier of a great career, you can’t say the same for Sam Darnold 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1