Rich Cimini: Jets should keep Sam Darnold

GreekJet

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Unless you love you some Sam Howell, next years QB class is not good, like at all.  Everyone can bring up Cam and Joe Burrow, but I’m telling you right now it’s going to be a s**t class.   

Is DJ Uiagalelei draft eligible next year or does he have at least one more full season until eligible?

On 3/1/2021 at 7:24 PM, bitonti said:

Zach Wilson really hasn't played anyone 

there's no amount of PR or working out Team Wilson can do to change his passer rating vs Power 5 comp

as for what the Jets should do this offseason, this team has like 2 great players and a handful of maybes, it's a total rebuild. Even with all the cap space and draft picks they will likely be really really bad again. Like QB-ruiningly bad.  

a new offensive system, a change from 3-4 for 4-3, new skills on offense, they have too many checkboxes to hit to add franchise QB to the 21 to do list

it's not that Darnold is going to be great or whatever it's that they aren't ready to groom/ruin another QB 

Bit you consider Navy and Western Kentucky nobody?

Sam played poorly and it’s not all on his teammates or the CS. There were games he was the key reason for losing. If they decide to go in a different direction I’ll have no prob with it even though I don’t want to spend another 3 seasons developing a new Qb. If they keep him you need a legit Qb competition and a second Qb who can play. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:50 PM, Rangers9 said:

Sam played poorly and it’s not all on his teammates or the CS. There were games he was the key reason for losing. If they decide to go in a different direction I’ll have no prob with it even though I don’t want to spend another 3 seasons developing a new Qb. If they keep him you need a legit Qb competition and a second Qb who can play. 

You’re absolutely right

No one advocating for keeping Darnold has said we can’t draft a QB or sign a veteran to come in and compete for the starting job

Think about this.   If you keep Sam Darnold with pick 2 you draft Sewell, then you get him the same offensive skill player talent that Trevor Lawrence had at Clemson:  You draft Eitienne at 23, you get Amari Rodgers in the third round and Wr. C. Powell in the 5th round.

With Mims, crowder, and Herndon you just gave Sam a chance to find success.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, NYDreamer said:

Think about this.   If you keep Sam Darnold with pick 2 you draft Sewell, then you get him the same offensive skill player talent that Trevor Lawrence had at Clemson:  You draft Eitienne at 23, you get Amari Rodgers in the third round and Wr. C. Powell in the 5th round.

With Mims, crowder, and Herndon you just gave Sam a chance to find success.  

Surrounding him with talent  may or may not work who knows. 

I think JD and Saleh want to choose their own QB. 

• Upvote 1

The question is, do they want to choose from what's left after Lawrence? Or, do they think there's a QB who is at least as good a prospect as Darnold?

56 minutes ago, isired said:
8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The question is, do they want to choose from what's left after Lawrence? Or, do they think there's a QB who is at least as good a prospect as Darnold?

Equal or better and their QB is how I think it unfolds. 

JD and Saleh want their own QB that they hand  pick who will be equal or better than Sam Darnold hopefully not worse. Who knows? 
They want the QB that gives them the best chance to win, right? Whether that's with the best play on the field, or by allowing them to build the team, or some combination of the two.

If they love a QB in the draft not named Trevor Lawrence more than they like Sam, it's an easy choice.

If they think they can be the first franchise to build a winner almost exclusively with free agents on both sides of the ball (was there one?), again, no-brainer. Give up the farm for Watson.

If neither of those things are true, they'll probably build the rest of the team with their draft picks, bring in some competition at QB that they like and that doesn't cost them 3 firsts, 2 seconds and your only defensive talent (or whatever ransom), evaluate their QBs with (hopefully) a better team around them, and take it from there.
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, isired said:

They want the QB that gives them the best chance to win, right? Whether that's with the best play on the field, or by allowing them to build the team, or some combination of the two.

If they love a QB in the draft not named Trevor Lawrence more than they like Sam, it's an easy choice.

If they think they can be the first franchise to build a winner almost exclusively with free agents on both sides of the ball (was there one?), again, no-brainer. Give up the farm for Watson.

If neither of those things are true, they'll probably build the rest of the team with their draft picks, bring in some competition at QB that they like and that doesn't cost them 3 firsts, 2 seconds and your only defensive talent (or whatever ransom), evaluate their QBs with (hopefully) a better team around them, and take it from there.

Agree the goal is to improve and after a 2 win season it shouldn't be that difficult. 

it starts with the QB and ends with the QB anyway you look at it. 

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

JD and Saleh want their own QB that they hand  pick who will be equal or better than Sam Darnold hopefully not worse. Who knows? 

Ok then trade Sam for Jimmy G and picks

If they draft Wilson or Fields Woody will be picking their replacements by 2024